Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Cathay hiring?

FredDriver
03-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Wondering if any Cathay folks have any insight on current pilot hiring...is it thriving right now or not?

Also, if you get hired as an FO...what are the chances of being based out of the US? I think I would enjoy CX, but I'm not leaving California!

ryguy
03-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Hiring like crazy. It is a long process so get started now if you want to be in class a year from now or more. All new FO's are based at outports. There is a very slim chance that you could be offered YYZ or YVR but you can turn it down for LAX.

Good luck

Dark Knight
03-01-2008, 05:02 PM
do they take guys with just t-prop time? or do they just take guys with jet time?

ryguy
03-01-2008, 09:48 PM
I think it depends on the turbo prop and where you are from. If you are Aussie with only T-prop time then probably yes. As an American the competition here generally has jet time these days. I would say that the chances are better if it is a big T-prop. That said, we are short of guys so toss in the app. The good news is that if you prep for the CX interview then you should be prepared for anyones interview, at least on the tech side.

kalyx522
03-01-2008, 10:21 PM
ryguy, what would constitute a "big tprop"?

ryguy
03-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Certainly C-130/P-3 would constitute a big T-prop. I believe the application still breaks up turbo prop time by large being over 20,000kg MGTOW. That is roughly 44,000lbs., so the ATR and the like would fit into that category.

Basically the best way to find out is to fill out the application and see if you get the call.

RCAC
03-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Cathay has always had a tough interview, but they've also been quite generous in who they grant interviews to. I've heard of guys who went from Navajos to 747 SO's with them.

RCAC

druglord
03-02-2008, 05:39 AM
i wouldn't advertise that you don't wanna leave cali. i think one of the main things they're looking for in the interview is to see your willingness to move around the world if necessary. what do you think ryguy?

ryguy
03-02-2008, 12:34 PM
i wouldn't advertise that you don't wanna leave cali. i think one of the main things they're looking for in the interview is to see your willingness to move around the world if necessary. what do you think ryguy?

I agree, tell them what they want to hear. They want to hear that you will move to HKG in a heartbeat if you had to. They will also tell you that you could spend your entire career in the US and they are correct. However, they still want to hear that you are open and willing to go wherever.

Also, it may be an FO interview but they may ask if you would be willing to be an SO if offered. The answer is "absolutely, I just want to get in with a great company". This is a test ladies and gentlemen, if they want you for an FO slot they will offer it. If they offer you SO then you can make the choice. Cathay doesn't hire to fill classes in two weeks so if you went in for FO and got offered SO, it isn't because they just needed SOs that day. It is most likely that they liked you but something went wrong in your interview or sim. You answering your willingness to be an SO lets them know that you just want to get in to the company. If it is a career stop, may as well get on the seniority list. If you were to answer no to the SO question, chances are you would get a thanks but no thanks instead of the SO offer.

KODI3
03-13-2008, 08:29 PM
ryguy,

Just rcvd the intial interview E-Mail from Amy for a SFO slot in May. Was curious how long ago you interviewed and if you had any further insight as to how to prapare for interview other than reviewing the ATP book. Any chance of getting ANC or ATL freighter for a newbie?
Thanks in advance for your input.

For those interested:
4800 TT (all mil turboprop)
4670 ME
2550 ME PIC
Submitted app 3/1/08
Interview E-Mail 3/13

kalyx522
03-13-2008, 08:58 PM
KODI,
wow that was a short wait for the interview invite... I was under the impression that the wait period between app and invite was a year or so. but then again, you obviously are very qualified.

atpcliff
03-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi!

From what I've heard, if you only know the ATP stuff, you will fail the interview.

Go to pprune.org, and/or search here, go to flightinfo, etc. to learn what you need to know for the interview. It is an extensive list of stuff, including one or two books. They should ask you questions about Hong Kong, the company, etc., etc. We had a guy go who didn't learn all the recommended stuff, and he was asked multiple questions that he had no idea he was expected to know the material that the questions covered.

Good luck!

cliff
ATL

ryguy
03-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Hey KODI3,

Congrats on the invite, you have plenty of time to study. The one book that everyone has been expected to read is "Handling the Big Jets" by Davies. Many also study "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" but any good Aero. book would help for review, also a good meteorology book will help . Go to the Fragrant Harbour Wannabes on PPRuNe and search for the info. Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you some notes that also helped me study.

For company info use the CX website and Wikipedia. You will need to know that stuff as current as possible when you go. Know the names of the officers and company stuff etc., especially the record profit we announced last week. The company made almost a billion US dollars profit in 2007.

As for me, I interviewed in November and December of 2006 and started in July of 2007. Good luck and if you have any more question feel free to ask. A lot of your questions will be answered on PPRuNe so spend some time searching on there. Be careful if you wander into the other Fragrant Harbour forum, there are some angry guys posting in there. For what it is worth I am very happy here.

paidtowait
03-14-2008, 07:57 AM
I just got the email invite from AMY as well for May 7.
I'm looking for the usual intel on what is this first interview all about.
Also Cathay QOL for a family guy like me.

Thanks

KODI3
03-15-2008, 12:24 PM
ryguy,
thanks for the insight. I have gone to those sights and downloaded/printed most of the gouge there. I also still have my meterology books from primary flight trng.
I am very excited about the opportunity to interview with them, but I am facing a dilemma with my AD retirement date. I retire 1 SEP with terminal LV commencing 1 June. I read on another thread here the second interview for someone else came 5 months later. I have a family with school-aged child, so I am a little concerned about length of time involved with the whole process. Also factored into the transiton anxiety is where to live. I realize the initial invite is for a "potential" offer to continue, and I need to concentrate on passing the initial, but I am going to have to coordinate with my command to possibly move my retirement date back to still have a check coming in while awaiting results.
Due to my junior standing here, I am unable to PM you. Are you able to PM me? Would love to get more info from someone in the know.

Thanks.

KODI3
03-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Just went to the Wikipedia site. One word, EXCELLENT! Previous company info I came across was dated, but this site is very current and even mentions the incident at Boeing field.

ryguy
03-15-2008, 11:38 PM
I can't PM you yet so just send an email to [email protected] . I set that up last year when I was getting a lot of questions through here. I still get emails with questions there so it is a bit easier to respond. Just a word to anyone that wants to email, I can't give blind recs to someone I don't know. Also, believe it or not, several of the people that have emailed claim that they have wanted to work for "Cathy" for a long time. Rule number one, get the name of the company right...one even asked about Cathy Specific :eek:

4everFO
03-16-2008, 02:27 PM
ANC should be a piece of cake and if successful you might jump the list and start earlier than other people that do not want ANC.

FO

rjpurgatory
03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Things to consider - look at the situation in Tibet. Be sure you are deal with that kind of dictatorial, heavy-handed aggression from your employer. IFALPA used to be mostly ineffective as the chinese govt doesn't recognize labor unions, not sure if any progress has been made since I was doing research on CX a few years ago.

Sorry I don't have any current info on CX, just looking out for your best interestes in other aspects of working for the Chinese.

4everFO
03-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Cathay is in China but you do not work for Chinese, you work for Swire Group which is an old school stuffy British organization. I think I would prefer the Chinese.

jousteagle
03-16-2008, 06:31 PM
4everFO,
Can you comment on the cargo schedules? How long are the trips? Time off between trips? On PPRuNe I read something like 12 day trips with 5-6 days off. Does this sound accurate?

If I understand the hiring process correctly, as a DEFO, you'll automatically go to Cargo and then wait your turn for pax flying (if that's what you want).

Thanks!

SledDriver
03-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Can anyone tell me who to address a cover letter to for a SO position with CX?
Thx

ashcroft
03-16-2008, 07:55 PM
quick question for some of you cathay guys/girls. I recieved an email from them offering an interview for the middle of april 18th to be exact. I've got recurrent ground school and a p.c check during that time frame. I sent an email to try and reschedule for a different date and explained why. The next day I recieved an email stating that they had cancelled the interviews for the week of april 21. Will me having to reschedule my interview get my name erased off of their list with no chance of ever getting another one or are they flexible with this kind of thing??

4everFO
03-17-2008, 12:19 AM
4everFO,
Can you comment on the cargo schedules? How long are the trips? Time off between trips? On PPRuNe I read something like 12 day trips with 5-6 days off. Does this sound accurate?

If I understand the hiring process correctly, as a DEFO, you'll automatically go to Cargo and then wait your turn for pax flying (if that's what you want).

Thanks!

I have done 10-12 day trips, but that is usually due to training/checking of some sort in Hong Kong. Most of my trips are 5-7 maybe 8. I have also done North America trips that have been 3 days long. The company does schedule minimum guaranteed days off every month (8-10), with the rest of the days occupied with duty, O days and A days. O days are for things like delays and maintenance issues down route. If they get you while at work and give you an assignment on a O day, you have to do it. If they call you at home for O day work then just don't answer the phone. I have been used on O days 2 times in two years. "A" days are reserve (0600-1400 home base time) but you have 10 hours to report to duty. I have been used once on an A day in two years with the company.

Considering all of that, I would say that I average anywhere from 12 to 21 days free of duty counting Gs, Os, and As. Remember two that we get 6 weeks of leave, so taking 2 weeks at a time, 3 times a year....thats 3 months that you will probably have almost 20 off.

DEFOs are no longer designated PAX or freight.

FO

atpcliff
03-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Hi!

What is personal travel like as an employee of Cathay?

I would like to know about what free/reduced cost travel is available to the pilot and his/her family on Cathay and other airlines. Mexico, Asia, Europe, etc.

Thanx a ton!

cliff
CLL

4everFO
03-17-2008, 12:09 PM
ID90/ZED on almost everyone....except DAL, they have an ID75 agreement.

Travel on Cathay is expensive but worth it for long trips. Example NYC-HKG-NYC in first class is roughly 2000USD per person. I am not sure about business or economy. Problem is that we have only ID90s on our own airline.Travel around Asia is relatively inexpensive compared to the long haul segments. Dragonair is in house now for travel.

We do get 4 segments a year on Cathay that are free of charge, economy for FOs and FEs and business class for Capts.

FO

jousteagle
03-17-2008, 06:53 PM

FO

Thanks FO. When you say DEFOs are no longer designated PAX or freight...can you clarify please? I understand they give you an offer of jet and city. So does this mean that they mix PAX and freight flying? I must not be fully understanding the process. If they give you an offer of jet and city, can you turn it down while waiting for a certain city. Example...I can live and work in both USA and Europe. Can I turn down an offer to LAX and wait for a European city? Thanks for the help!

On a side note, I'll be in HKG on 22, 23, 28 & 29 March. Can I buy a CX pilot a beer? Would like to hear more about CX. Thanks!

4everFO
03-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Up until Jan 01 2008 all FOs hired were designated freight only. Only other options to enter the company were as a cadet, or as a SO. DEFO with the freight designation was the only way to get into CX and have a base outside HKG, albeit on a lower payscale. Only guys hired from 01JAN08 and on that are assigned to the -400 fleet will fly freight and passengers. If you get hired on the 777, then passengers only as we do not have any 777 freighters.

You can turn down a city/jet offer to wait for a different basing, but I do not know how many times or for how long. As far as Europe vs US basing options, in recent history you would get into the company much faster if you were destined for a base in the US as the growth in Europe has been less than in North America. Judging by new routes and service (passenger and freight) I would say that that trend would continue. Only thing is if the attrition in Europe picks up due to better offers to current CX pilots. You can always start on a US base and then put in a base transfer request as soon as you finish line training.

FO

sunnfun
03-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Only thing is if the attrition in Europe picks up due to better offers to current CX pilots.

Last time I spoke to someone there a couple of months ago, they said that everybody in the EU bases is waiting with baited breath for the onshore contracts, as the higher taxes might make it very unattractive to be based in the EU area and everybody senior enough to bid back to HKG will do so. They were basically predicting an exodus unless CX would significantly raise the Salaries for EU bases.

Do you have any updated information? I'm considering a EU base (London or Frankfurt) if they offer me a position since I hold work permits both in the US and EU.

Thanks!
Sun'n fun

4everFO
03-21-2008, 08:06 AM
I have no idea what the tax implications are to the EU residents. The buddies I have that are based in Europe have not indicated that they will bid back to HKG, actually most of the bases in Europe on the passenger fleet are reportedly full with the exception of MAN due to the Dragonair Cargo offer.

I have not heard of any new cities in Europe or any increased frequencies to existing cities, aside from seasonal changes. There are two new cities planned for the cargo side (Houston and Miami) as well as increased frequencies to many cities in the US, and some rumored new passenger cities.

FO

sunnfun
03-21-2008, 08:29 AM
I have no idea what the tax implications are to the EU residents. The buddies I have that are based in Europe have not indicated that they will bid back to HKG, actually most of the bases in Europe on the passenger fleet are reportedly full with the exception of MAN due to the Dragonair Cargo offer.

I have not heard of any new cities in Europe or any increased frequencies to existing cities, aside from seasonal changes. There are two new cities planned for the cargo side (Houston and Miami) as well as increased frequencies to many cities in the US, and some rumored new passenger cities.

FO

Thanks a lot for the info, much appreciated! :)

paidtowait
03-21-2008, 08:31 AM
I have been used on O days 2 times in two years. "A" days are reserve (0600-1400 home base time) but you have 10 hours to report to duty. I have been used once on an A day in two years with the company.

Considering all of that, I would say that I average anywhere from 12 to 21 days free of duty counting Gs, Os, and As. Remember two that we get 6 weeks of leave, so taking 2 weeks at a time, 3 times a year....thats 3 months that you will probably have almost 20 off.

FO
4everfo,
What would you say to a guy who's considering commuting from KPHX to one of the US bases. Hopefully LAX.
thanks in advance for your advice.

later

4everFO
03-21-2008, 08:40 AM
4everfo,
What would you say to a guy who's considering commuting from KPHX to one of the US bases. Hopefully LAX.
thanks in advance for your advice.

later

Buy a ticket to work on SWA and non rev (ID90) home, piece of cake. Schedules can and do change but SWA has a no change fee, only pay the difference in fare (I think).

FO

paidtowait
03-21-2008, 03:26 PM
thats what I thought ...thank you.

JDjr
03-22-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm debating spending the money to fly to LAX next weekend to attend the AIRINC job fair just to meet with the Cathay flight crew recruitment personnel, Kelly Crawford and Paula Rousseaw. Is this a worthwhile investment of time and money?

Additionally, I understand that you must tell them the company line that you would love to work in HK but the fact of the matter is I would want to fly out of JFK. What would my chance be of getting JFK as a base? If it was a likelihood, would I be able to spend my entire career there? Thanks in advance...

go43andrti
03-23-2008, 06:00 AM
I have a class starting in April. I wanted an ORD base, but got a JFK base. Moral of the story is, you never know, but I'm as junior as it gets and I got JFK.

Hope it helps

74plb
03-23-2008, 08:01 AM
I have a class starting in April. I wanted an ORD base, but got a JFK base. Moral of the story is, you never know, but I'm as junior as it gets and I got JFK.

Hope it helps

Congrats !:D Good luck with your training have fun in HKG.

4everFO
03-23-2008, 08:21 AM
ORD will probably not be available for a long time as it is overstaffed right now due to the ASL seniority integration (long story). Used to have a limit of 9 FOs based there now there is 21 peeps in the right seat.

I am no accountant but I think that job hunting expenses are tax deductible, so a plane ticket to see some recruiting folks should count. As always, get professional advice!!

FO

Ve764
03-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Hey 74 ready to finish school.We gotta remember what we forgot!!! See ya Tues. nite in ATL...

ryguy
03-23-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm debating spending the money to fly to LAX next weekend to attend the AIRINC job fair just to meet with the Cathay flight crew recruitment personnel, Kelly Crawford and Paula Rousseaw. Is this a worthwhile investment of time and money?

Additionally, I understand that you must tell them the company line that you would love to work in HK but the fact of the matter is I would want to fly out of JFK. What would my chance be of getting JFK as a base? If it was a likelihood, would I be able to spend my entire career there? Thanks in advance...

Going to the job fair wouldn't hurt. I don't know Paula but I know Kelly and she is really cool. Go and say hello, it will help you stand out if you make a good impression.

You shouldn't have any problem getting JFK as it is junior and will always need people. It shouldn't be a problem to have your entire career out of JFK if you want it. Just tell them what they like to hear about HKG.

Good luck!

KDUA
03-23-2008, 08:05 PM
hi there,

Sorry to be of the topic a little bit, but I'm planing to go to the jobfair next saturday in los angeles. Just a question to you guys that have been to a job fair before. What type of dress code is required and should I bring resumes and my log book.

Fist time I'm going to one and I really don't want to go there with a suit and tie.

JDjr
03-23-2008, 08:38 PM
KDUA - Although it would be nice to be in business casual clothes or Aloha attire, an interview suit is Highly suggested. Suffice it to say, if you're not wearing a suit and tie you'll be the only one and that is not the first impression you want to make. Additionally, I suggest you bring a stack of resumes with you and if I were you I would tailor each resume to the companies you plan on handing them to. You will only get a minute or two with each company rep so be prepared to give them a quick 30 second intro about yourself. I doubt you'll need your log book although I know some of the smaller companies have been known to do interview on the spot so it's your call. Hope this helps...

V1Rotate
03-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Now looking at FO positions the Cathay website states the following:

An ICAO Airline Transport Pilot's License (ATPL) (obtained without exemptions) or ICAO Commercial Pilot's License (CPL) (obtained without exemptions) with passes in all ATPL ground examinations

My question is this. Do FAA certificates count as ICAO equivalent, or would I need to transfer my certificates to something else?

Also, what is the tax/cost of living situation in Hong Kong? That looks like a lot of money, but I wonder if it really is adjusted for what I assume must be pretty high rent in a city as densely populated as Hong Kong.

4everFO
03-26-2008, 05:02 PM
There is no such thing as an ICAO certificate, per se. An ICAO certificate is a certificate issued by an ICAO signatory. So yes, a FAA certificate is an ICAO certificate since the United States is a ICAO signatory.

Rent/Mortgage/Housing Assist is paid for by Cathay for those pilots on expat terms in Hong Kong.

FO

V1Rotate
03-27-2008, 10:27 PM
There is no such thing as an ICAO certificate, per se. An ICAO certificate is a certificate issued by an ICAO signatory. So yes, a FAA certificate is an ICAO certificate since the United States is a ICAO signatory.

Rent/Mortgage/Housing Assist is paid for by Cathay for those pilots on expat terms in Hong Kong.

FO

Nice, thats what I thought/hoped. I am on a 12 month contract with Pan Am Flight Academy training Chinese students. After its up I should have 1600 hours, and the Chinese connection might help. I think I'm going to go for it.

Thanks for the info.

4everFO
03-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Nice, thats what I thought/hoped. I am on a 12 month contract with Pan Am Flight Academy training Chinese students. After its up I should have 1600 hours, and the Chinese connection might help. I think I'm going to go for it.

Thanks for the info.

1600 hours TT? That is pretty light for Cathay, but fill out the app and update every 6-12 months and they will call you when you get there.

FO

ashcroft
04-01-2008, 07:34 AM
anybody else get the email for the may interviews in new york for cathay??

aupilot
04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I just received one today for the New York interview.

Does anyone know where to find the new pay scale for U.S. Pax and freight?

jousteagle
04-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Pay is at the following post: http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/showthread.php?t=12133&page=12

How long from app to 1st interview for you guys?

Also, I thought I read in an earlier post that someone was going to interview for SFO with a May start date. Leads me to believe that they give you city and start date that you are interviewing for before your first interview. Does this sound accurate or did I misread something?

Good luck at the interview!

KODI3
04-01-2008, 04:40 PM
From my previous post on this thread:
For those interested:
4800 TT (all mil turboprop)
4670 ME
2550 ME PIC
Submitted app 3/1/08
Interview E-Mail 3/13
Thet said to expect to see required paperwork E-Mail week of 7 April

The invitation is for SFO first week in May. I have seen other posts with folks offered interview in NY around the same time. Not sure what you mean by "start date."

On a side note, if you have been invited for an interview already, is there any advantage to attending there job fair April 12? Are they conducting spot interviews at the fair?

jousteagle
04-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks KODI3. I think I understand your original post now. I thought "SFO in May" meant that they were offering you a jet based out of SFO for a training date starting in May. Now I understand they offered an interview in May in SFO.

Good luck with the interview and give us a PIREP when you get back please!

742drvr
04-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Anyone trying for an ATL base. Filled out online app last week, would like the ATL base if I have a choice. Any info would be great!

Thanks

druglord
04-02-2008, 01:17 PM
pretty sure ATL and ORD aren't available as bases. only thing going right now are JFK and LAX, canada and you can probably get Anchorage too if you wanted. try it though it may change by time you get the job.

742drvr
04-02-2008, 04:17 PM
pretty sure ATL and ORD aren't available as bases. only thing going right now are JFK and LAX, canada and you can probably get Anchorage too if you wanted. try it though it may change by time you get the job.

Thanks for the info.......I appreciate all I can get!

Sike
04-02-2008, 04:40 PM
All this talk about never wanting to live in HK. Well, you may think that when you start, but there are a lot of guys completing their freighter commitment in the U.S. and heading to HK. There is a lot of money to be made there and you may be surprised how much you like it. I would guess that the folks conducting the interview would be savvy of any BS story about wanting to live in HK. What I would suggest is opening your mind a bit and not giving them a flat out lie.

There is a lot of fun to be had in HK and I'm not just talking about the girls in Wan Chai. The air pollution definitely sucks, but that's the only major issue I have with the place.

thepotato232
04-02-2008, 06:24 PM
I know I'll be going to HK if CX should see fit to look at my resume. Hopefully a scrappy young SO with an elementary command of Cantonese and no ties to the home country would be something along the lines of what they're looking for...

4everFO
04-02-2008, 07:17 PM
I know I'll be going to HK if CX should see fit to look at my resume. Hopefully a scrappy young SO with an elementary command of Cantonese and no ties to the home country would be something along the lines of what they're looking for...

Flight ops could probably care less if you speak Cantonese.

FO

thepotato232
04-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Fully aware of that, just saying that there are probably more than a few people out there that view relocation to HK as a less-than-catastrophic event.

aupilot
04-03-2008, 05:55 AM
I would also like the ATL base and have the opportunity for an initial interview in NYC next month. I am on the fence about whether or not to go because of my current position. I work at AirTran and going to Cathay would be an $80k to $100k/yr pay cut for the first 3 to 4 years.

I can't leave ATL for at least 9 years for several reasons, but mainly because of the situation with my step children. Eventually my wife and I would love to relocate.

Is it possible to commute to ORD or JFK? If so, what is the best way since you can't jumpseat?

What is the upgrade time on the freighter side in the U.S.?

BoredwLife
04-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Here's another question. Currently sitting with enough time to go to Cathay. Heres the issue. NO ATP!! And am wayyyyyy to broke to go somewhere and get it. Is the only option to get hired as a SO and go from there?

druglord
04-03-2008, 01:06 PM
aupilot,
i'm not sure what you're making but CX has one of the best payscales out there. first year salary + per diem + 401k equivalent you're looking at about 96k gross first year FO. I heard a second year FO filed his W2 with a gross of 110k for the year. not too shabby... yes sounds like a lot of commuters out there, buying zeds or full fare to get to work. that's your only option unfortunately.

and no you need a ATP for coversion to HK license for FO...

kalyx522
04-03-2008, 01:50 PM
aupilot,
i'm not sure what you're making but CX has one of the best payscales out there. first year salary + per diem + 401k equivalent you're looking at about 96k gross first year FO. I heard a second year FO filed his W2 with a gross of 110k for the year. not too shabby... yes sounds like a lot of commuters out there, buying zeds or full fare to get to work. that's your only option unfortunately.

and no you need a ATP for coversion to HK license for FO...

but that's not with the new payscale, is it?

ashcroft
04-03-2008, 05:16 PM
this is what I found for the new payscale for cathay pacific
http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=usauforatescopyqd9.jpg
so if that is accurate then 74000 + say 6000 in per diem + 401k match at say 11000 (15.5% of pay) then you've got $91000 for a first year guy. If you spend say $500 a month on commuting and crash pad then you'd still bring in $85000 for a first year guy.

aupilot
04-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Last year I made $184,000 plus $20,000 from the company in our B fund. That is why I was wondering what the upgrade time is for the freighter in the U.S. Looking at the new payscale once I upgraded would be making the same or more than at AirTran. Anyone know what the upgrade expectations are?

Kenny
04-04-2008, 02:01 AM
Aupilot,

Getting to the left seat at CX requires a level of hoop-jumping not required here in the US; Every training event is recorded and goes into your file for review at a later date, so a "bad day" can come back to haunt you. You have to assessed as suitable to pass the course before they'll allow you to upgrade and the whole system seems to be extremely political. I've heard of some outstanding guys that would have made great captains but were not passed because they were deemed to be "not CX captains".

One mate of mine who's been in the left seat at CX for the past 15 years, will tell you, that to fail your command course at CX is a "monkey on your back" that you will carry for the rest of your career there.

I'm not CX but I'm sure the CX guys will correct any of what I said.

druglord
04-04-2008, 12:56 PM
all right so 96k is a little ambitious, but there is 6% raise in june so salary first year is 78-79k

yeah apparently you can go for quick upgrade within a couple years of joinining on the freighter but apparently only 1 person has ever passed

having said that i wouldn't move if i were in your shoes aupilot

ryguy
04-04-2008, 01:18 PM
yeah apparently you can go for quick upgrade within a couple years of joinining on the freighter but apparently only 1 person has ever passed

That rumor is not true concerning the freighter early commands. It was true when the company tried to hire directly into the CA seat on the Classic out of Manchester. There is no way that I could see anyone off the street coming in and passing "the Cathay way" along with learning the airplane to a CA standard.

That said, I fly with guys all the time that went for the freighter command in 2-4 years and passed. This could all change though as the company is looking at possibly integrating the fleets so there would not be any designated freighter Captains. That would move the upgrade further down the road.

aupilot,
If you eventually went to Hong Kong you would make a lot more than Airtran. If you want to stay in NA, you would have to do the comparisons. On top of the payscale we get a few others like flight duty pay etc. that aren't much but do end up adding another few hundred bucks a month. A friend of mine is a 12 year CA on the freighter and all in he made just over $250K in 2007. It is up to you to decide why you want to leave Airtran. If it is purely monetary then it will take you time to make up the lost income in starting over. If there are other reasons then it may be worth it.

One more that I forgot, I don't count left over allowances in the salary. That, for me, is about $700 per month. We don't get per diem per se, we get an allowance based on someone actually looking at meals etc. on the overnight. For example, in ANC our allowance for a 24 hour period is about $134 or more depending on what time you get in. I can't eat $134 worth of grub in one day so I take home lots of leftovers. The allowance is paid in cash at the hotel so no need to go to the ATM for local currency if you go somewhere else.

kalyx522
04-05-2008, 06:58 AM
this is what I found for the new payscale for cathay pacific
http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=usauforatescopyqd9.jpg
so if that is accurate then 74000 + say 6000 in per diem + 401k match at say 11000 (15.5% of pay) then you've got $91000 for a first year guy. If you spend say $500 a month on commuting and crash pad then you'd still bring in $85000 for a first year guy.

thanks for the info. From comparing that with the (older?) payscale on APC, it looks like the captain and senior captain got a raise, the senior FO pay stayed pretty much the same, and the FO pay took a sizable cut.

I know there is no longetivity at CX.. like if a year 7 FO upgraded to captain, he would start over at year 1 captain pay. Is that true for the "senior" positions as well? For example, if you were an FO and you became a Senior FO, do you start over at Year 1 Senior FO pay?

marcal
04-05-2008, 07:36 AM
I would also like the ATL base and have the opportunity for an initial interview in NYC next month. I am on the fence about whether or not to go because of my current position. I work at AirTran and going to Cathay would be an $80k to $100k/yr pay cut for the first 3 to 4 years.

I can't leave ATL for at least 9 years for several reasons, but mainly because of the situation with my step children. Eventually my wife and I would love to relocate.

Is it possible to commute to ORD or JFK? If so, what is the best way since you can't jumpseat?

What is the upgrade time on the freighter side in the U.S.?

I think you need to ask yourself why you would want to leave a very well paying job, where(it sounds like) you are based at home? At CX, you will initially take a pay cut that WILL take a few years to get back to. Infact i think it would take alot of years to get back to. Plus, there are guys that have been here a while still waiting on ATL. Unless, you are convinced your current employer is going out of biz or something I'd be careful. Anyway, go to the interview....your looking at approx one year from first interview to class if your successful so you will have PLENTY of time to decide. Good luck.

PS...if you do get it, and get based at home, it is very nice.

4everFO
04-05-2008, 10:50 AM
thanks for the info. From comparing that with the (older?) payscale on APC, it looks like the captain and senior captain got a raise, the senior FO pay stayed pretty much the same, and the FO pay took a sizable cut.

I know there is no longetivity at CX.. like if a year 7 FO upgraded to captain, he would start over at year 1 captain pay. Is that true for the "senior" positions as well? For example, if you were an FO and you became a Senior FO, do you start over at Year 1 Senior FO pay?

FO and Senior FO are essentially the same. You spend 4 years as an FO and then automatically become a Senior FO. The hourly duty pay is more for the SFO and you are also on higher pay.

FO

V1Rotate
04-08-2008, 04:28 PM
1600 hours TT? That is pretty light for Cathay, but fill out the app and update every 6-12 months and they will call you when you get there.

FO

Well SO mins are 1000, you think I would need more than 1600 to be competitive?

Also, how much actual flying does the SO get to do? Do you ever get to land?

marcal
04-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Well SO mins are 1000, you think I would need more than 1600 to be competitive?

Also, how much actual flying does the SO get to do? Do you ever get to land?

How much 'flying'? You keep the heading bug centered for 4 hours at a time. The nice part....you pretty much get paid to do nothing...you don't even do walkarounds....the bad part(if you actually enjoy flying) is you don't do any flying.

TBucket
04-08-2008, 08:22 PM
So, wait, let me get this straight. If you get hired at Cathay, you can't jumpseat in the US?

V1Rotate
04-09-2008, 12:09 AM
How much 'flying'? You keep the heading bug centered for 4 hours at a time. The nice part....you pretty much get paid to do nothing...you don't even do walkarounds....the bad part(if you actually enjoy flying) is you don't do any flying.

Yeah, thats the downside. The promise of travel attracts me, as does the pay, and I think living in Hong Kong would be really cool, but I do like to fly, I mean to the point that if I don't get to I start to suffer withdrawal symptoms, lol. Although with my student loans I will pretty much go anywhere that pays decently.

How the heck do you stay proficient that way? Lots of time in a simulator between trips? Also how long to FO upgrade? Like two years?

4everFO
04-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Yeah, thats the downside. The promise of travel attracts me, as does the pay, and I think living in Hong Kong would be really cool, but I do like to fly, I mean to the point that if I don't get to I start to suffer withdrawal symptoms, lol. Although with my student loans I will pretty much go anywhere that pays decently.

How the heck do you stay proficient that way? Lots of time in a simulator between trips? Also how long to FO upgrade? Like two years?

Cathay SOs "get" to enjoy a simulator training session every 2 months to keep their skills up and a check ride once every 6 months to renew your license.

1000 hours for DESOs, yes that is true, but it also says that preference will be given to multi time and turbine experience. The day I started with Cathay as an FO, all of the SOs that day had either RJ command time or Boeing or Airbus time.

Good luck, I say apply anyway and keep it updated.

FO

druglord
04-09-2008, 04:16 PM
yeah competitive for SOs are 4-6k i'd say

marcal
04-09-2008, 04:27 PM
So, wait, let me get this straight. If you get hired at Cathay, you can't jumpseat in the US?

That is correct. :cool:

3holer
04-18-2008, 11:28 AM
To any Cathay Drivers out there,
I have got the final interview for an FO position coming up. During the first interview I said I would accept an SO position, but FO was my first choice. After thinking about and researching it a little more, I have changed my mind and would rather do the SO job. Is this something I could bring up at the interview or would reversing myself be frowned upon? Does anybody know what the hiring numbers are looking like? Are they looking to hire more SOs or US based freighter fleet FOs?
Also, what did you do on the day of arrival? I was told to pick up my visitor pass the first day of the interview. Does this mean they don't want me prowling around Cathay City the day prior? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3holer

V1Rotate
04-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Any Cathay drivers live in the Phoenix Metro area? If you do I'll buy you lunch if you let me pick your brain a little.

Sputnik
04-21-2008, 12:20 PM
If you were hired in US for freighter ops, is there anything wrong with staying in that forever? Vs going to pax eventually (and going overseas)?

Does the Pax flying pay that much more?

Nicaflyer
04-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I am filling out the online form...for "flying training," do they want every recurrent I have been through, or just the type ratings and certificate info?

ryguy
04-21-2008, 04:26 PM
To any Cathay Drivers out there,
I have got the final interview for an FO position coming up. During the first interview I said I would accept an SO position, but FO was my first choice. After thinking about and researching it a little more, I have changed my mind and would rather do the SO job. Is this something I could bring up at the interview or would reversing myself be frowned upon? Does anybody know what the hiring numbers are looking like? Are they looking to hire more SOs or US based freighter fleet FOs?
Also, what did you do on the day of arrival? I was told to pick up my visitor pass the first day of the interview. Does this mean they don't want me prowling around Cathay City the day prior? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3holer

You could tell them that but I would have a very good reason. My group had a guy that wanted to stay in Asia since his wife is Taiwanese. He has over 10,000TT but they offered him SO so he could be HKG based. He let them know that informally at the cocktail party, not during the interview.

They don't really tell anyone the numbers but we seem to be hiring pretty steadily for both. As for the pass, you could try but the security people probably won't have the list until the morning of your interview. I'm not really sure why but that is probably it. When is your second interview?

Good luck!

ryguy
04-21-2008, 04:29 PM
If you were hired in US for freighter ops, is there anything wrong with staying in that forever? Vs going to pax eventually (and going overseas)?

Does the Pax flying pay that much more?

For new guys, you will be on a different payscale that does not differentiate between PAX and FRT. You are just FOs. There is nothing wrong with staying on the freighter side of the house. Only issue is that the trips can be longer and your schedule will have a lot more disruptions...a lot more. But, if you live in base or you don't want to leave then that is an option.

ryguy
04-21-2008, 04:30 PM
I am filling out the online form...for "flying training," do they want every recurrent I have been through, or just the type ratings and certificate info?

Stick with ratings and certs.

kalyx522
04-21-2008, 05:27 PM
ryguy,
you've been there for about a year or so now right? do you still like it and plan to retire with cx?
and btw, why do they hire constantly for both so and fo? do they not have a sufficient stream of sos available for upgrade?

4everFO
04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
You can stay on the freighter as long as you want. No requirement to transfer to the pax fleet. After the 6% raise coming in July, freighter pay will continue to close the gap. Some guys that live in a freighter base would rather make less money and not commute.

FO

Nicaflyer
04-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the info...It has been a long time since I have looked for a job. Back before all this internet stuff was really popular. :o

ryguy
04-22-2008, 10:06 PM
ryguy,
you've been there for about a year or so now right? do you still like it and plan to retire with cx?
and btw, why do they hire constantly for both so and fo? do they not have a sufficient stream of sos available for upgrade?

I have some issues but not nearly as many as I had before. I'm happy here and don't plan to go anywhere. Now that we will be flying out of Houston (freighter) I'm definitely happy. I think just the fact that we are growing and we don't hire huge classes causes the constant hiring. My class only had 6 people in it. Now that I look at it, sure beats hiring 60 a month right until you furlough like the U.S. Majors seem to have done......AGAIN.

Left Coast MD11
04-23-2008, 08:06 PM
A friend told me that CX is opening a cargo pilot base in Houston soon...is this correct or just a rumor? Thanks

ryguy
04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
A friend told me that CX is opening a cargo pilot base in Houston soon...is this correct or just a rumor? Thanks

We'll be flying to IAH but a base is just rumor. Chances are that MIA will become a base and there was some speculation that Houston may have to become an FO base due to the flight time from MIA-IAH-ANC. It may require a third man to either be carried all the way from MIA or be added in IAH. I live in Houston so I'm hoping but not too optomistic for an IAH base.

4everFO
04-24-2008, 09:48 AM
I think a base at IAH is a long shot, but stanger things have happened....like going to IAH when we already serve DFW daily.

FO

742drvr
04-29-2008, 02:58 AM
For the guys that have been called for the first interview, how long between the time you filled out the on-line app before you were called?

742drvr
04-29-2008, 02:59 AM
Is the ATL base a reality or still in the planning?

Sputnik
04-29-2008, 09:03 PM
I have some issues but not nearly as many as I had before. I'm happy here and don't plan to go anywhere. Now that we will be flying out of Houston (freighter) I'm definitely happy. I think just the fact that we are growing and we don't hire huge classes causes the constant hiring. My class only had 6 people in it. Now that I look at it, sure beats hiring 60 a month right until you furlough like the U.S. Majors seem to have done......AGAIN.

Where do you fly out of now? How's the commuting? What were the issues you had that cleared up?

ryguy
04-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Is the ATL base a reality or still in the planning?

ATL has been open as a base for quite some time now. Not too many vacancies but it would probably open up a bit if MIA opens.

ryguy
04-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Where do you fly out of now? How's the commuting? What were the issues you had that cleared up?

I guess I didn't write that very well. I meant that I don't have issues like I had at previous jobs. Every company has their quirks and CX is no different.

I am based out of LAX but most of my flying is out of DFW. I live in Houston so the IAH flight will be nice for me. On the rare occassion that I have to go to LAX I usually just buy a ticket on SWA. I use my leftover allowances from trips to cover my commute and I still have a few hundred left over every month so it's no big deal. The extra is almost like a travel fund and it covers my commute. I non rev sometimes as well on a ZED fare or ID90.

OceanicPilot
05-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey guys, I've enjoyed reading the thread on Cathay...If sucessful in the first interview how long of a wait for the second interview? And if they hire you how long after the 2nd interview for a job offer?

4everFO
05-02-2008, 04:33 PM
If you do get hired by Cathay and want a basing in a city that is either not a base yet or you are not senior enough to hold it....my advice is to not nominate it as a preferred port and get everyone else to do the same. You are agreeing to cover 2 different bases at your own expense and the company has no reason/incentive to open the base if they can cover the flying just fine.

FO

PSUPilot
05-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Hey guys. I am an FO on the ERJ with roughly 2300 hours / 1700 Multi. I jsut put in my app at Cathay for the FO/SO positions. My question is...am I likely to get a call with my time; and if so, should I go get my ATP out of the way to allow me the chance for an FO position? Or, will my flight time pretty much limit me to the SO anyway? The ATP written is already done. Thanks for the advice...

4everFO
05-17-2008, 02:38 PM
The recruitment people tend not to let us know what they are thinking...that being said, I think your times might possibly be too low for either position. Pure speculation on my part. If they do not call you but you keep your app up to date, I am pretty sure that gets noticed when you finally do get a call to interview. First question I got at my first interview was, "Why didn't you apply to Cathay prior to your initial application date?"

Do you have at least 1000 hours of turbine time?

FO

PSUPilot
05-17-2008, 02:53 PM
The recruitment people tend not to let us know what they are thinking...that being said, I think your times might possibly be too low for either position. Pure speculation on my part. If they do not call you but you keep your app up to date, I am pretty sure that gets noticed when you finally do get a call to interview. First question I got at my first interview was, "Why didn't you apply to Cathay prior to your initial application date?"

Do you have at least 1000 hours of turbine time?

FO

Yes...1500 turbine, all in the ERJ; no turbine PIC however. Thanks for the info. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Kenny
05-17-2008, 05:57 PM
If you speak to any of the ladies in FCR, they'll tell you that for an SO slot, you'll need 3000TT and no less than 1000 Turbine.