Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Wal-Mart Corp aviation

GBU-24
03-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Does anyone know who the Chief Pilot is at Wa-Mart?

FlyerJosh
03-19-2008, 05:03 PM
The latest info that I have:

Dan Williams, Director, Aviation
William H. Mansker, Chief Pilot - Int'l

GBU-24
03-19-2008, 05:24 PM
FlyerJosh,

How current is your info?

Thanks either case

03-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hangar 5, Carter Field
Hammerschmidt Drive
Rogers, AR 72756
Tel: (479) 621-2407
Fax: (479 )621-2450
Web: www.wal-mart.com
View other Members in
Rogers or Arkansas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roster

Dan Williams, Director, Aviation
William H. Mansker, Chief Pilot - Int'l
Carol Vaughan, Scheduling Manager

As per NBAA online directory.

GBU-24
03-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks again for the info!
Cheers

UNDGUY
03-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Sara Boelkins, Chief Pilot

Spoke to her on the phone about 9 months ago. I'm not sure if anything has changed since then.

BoredwLife
03-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Do they pay thier pilots like they pay thier store employees?

USMCFLYR
03-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Anyone know what kind of aircraft they fly?

USMCFLYR

FlyerJosh
03-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Anyone know what kind of aircraft they fly?

USMCFLYR

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/nameSQL.asp?nametxt=wal-mart&sort_option=5

USMCFLYR
03-20-2008, 08:19 PM
FlyerJosh -

Thanks for that link.
20 a/c - mostly Lears with a Global Express and a 604.
Very nice.
Guess that would be a nice corporate job. Stable I would guess.

USMCFLYR

FlyerJosh
03-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Stable yes. However from what I've seen and heard of the operation, it looks like it's pretty much run like a 135 charter outfit vs a 91 corporate department. Long days, marginal pay (comparatively speaking), and lots of flying.

But that's all second (and third) hand knowledge, so take my word with a grain of salt.

USMCFLYR
03-20-2008, 09:00 PM
FlyerJosh -

I like the lots of flying part - but I would hope that a company like Wal-Mart would pay their pilots pretty well. You know people that have flown for them? Wondering what their requirements are for employment. Seems this would be one of those situations where you would probably need to know someone to get a job. Tough to break into from the outside.

USMCFLYR

geosynchronous
03-21-2008, 05:42 AM
I will second FlyerJosh'es second and third hand knowledge in regards to marginal pay at WMT.

FalconFlyer
03-21-2008, 10:11 AM
I have heard the same thing about the pay. Ran into some of their pilots in MN and they said that everyone at Walmart shares hotel rooms on overnights? Pilots, Executives, everyone. Don't you think they make enough money to get a couple more rooms?

milky
03-21-2008, 02:17 PM
I have heard the same thing about the pay. Ran into some of their pilots in MN and they said that everyone at Walmart shares hotel rooms on overnights? Pilots, Executives, everyone. Don't you think they make enough money to get a couple more rooms?

There is a way to keep your profits up: keep expenses down. Is it justified, most here would agree not, but if you know that is how the company runs before you get there, you don't have much argument when you get there at how things are run...

ZapBrannigan
03-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Some of the information on this thread is a bit out of date.

So before we begin let's put this rumor to rest once and for all.

WAL-MART PILOTS DO NOT SHARE HOTEL ROOMS!!!

Ok? Feel free to put that one to rest when you hear it.

Sara Boelkins is over the chief pilots. Her email address is: [email protected]

Here are a few details.
3 Learjet 45s, 1 Learjet 40, 13 Learjet 31 & 31A
There is a Global Express but it is not likely that a pilot hired today would ever fly it.
All pilots are hired as Learjet 31 First Officer
They will type you immediately at FSI
No set "minimums" but competitive minimums seem to be over 3000 hours with some prior turbine experience
Home almost every night (most trips are 6:30 to 17:30)
Starting pay around $50,000 + 10% bonus + stock.
Guaranteed 3 year upgrade!!!
Captain pay starts around $74,000 + 10% bonus + stock.
Relocation to Bentonville area required, but company paid
Interview is all-expenses paid (airfare, hotel, transportation, etc)
FlightSafety recurrent twice a year
Guaranteed days off schedule (no pager) from the day you're hired, until the day you retire. About 11 guaranteed days off a month -- more if you count weekends.
Very few weekend/holiday trips.
4 day weekend off guaranteed each month.
Operations Coordinators (similar to flight followers). Safety is a big deal.
No catering. Aircraft stocked with bottled water only
Department seems friendly to furloughed and former airline.
Former TWA, Delta, USAir, Eagle, Corporate Express, Comair pilots all flying there.
No sharing of hotel rooms (Seriously! Quit spreading this rumor!)
Company credit card for meals on the roadMore info and a video can be found at:
http://walmartstores.com/GlobalWMSto...te.do?catg=285 (http://walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=285)

Hope this helps put an end to the rumors. http://forums.jetcareers.com/images/smilies/smile.gif It's a great place to work. Like family! Pilots furloughed from major airlines have not gone back to their majors when they were called if that tells you anything.

Tgaug6300
03-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Here is a question for you. This could just be rumor too, but did you guys "lay-off" your Challenger crews with no "heads up"?

ZapBrannigan
03-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Nope. Every single Challenger pilot was brought back into the Learjet fleet and sent to FlightSafety to be typed in the LR45.

The company's decision to park the Challenger was unfortunate but all of them still work here as senior Learjet 31/45 Captains.

USMCFLYR
03-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Zap -

Thanks for the great info. Sounds like a pretty good place to work.

USMCFLYR

ZapBrannigan
03-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Like every job it has it's little quirks, but I can honestly say I love this place and am extremely proud of my fellow pilots, my department, and my company.

firedup
03-24-2008, 08:11 PM
I will agree with Zap. I interviewed back in 1999, but decided not to take the job. I do know 5 other pilots there whom I went to school with though...They all seem to like it, and have been there for a number of years. They also get a 15% discount at Wal-mart!:p

Swass
03-25-2008, 06:54 AM
I've heard it's a good place to work, you know your sched's and it's a given that you'll operate on the cheap (no high fallutin' catering etc.) Plus, Beaver Lake isn't all that far. You'd be surprised how nice that part of Ark. is, WalMart has brought all the nice things you'd see in larger cities such as good restaurants, shopping etc.

ARPilot31a
03-25-2008, 11:26 AM

FlightSafety recurrent twice a year
Guaranteed days off schedule (no pager) from the day you're hired, until the day you retire. About 11 guaranteed days off a month -- more if you count weekends.
Company credit card for meals on the road

ARPilot31a
03-25-2008, 11:46 AM

**Overnights are 4-10 a month,sometimes more, sometimes less, lots of 3,4 and 5+ leg days.**

**UP TO a 10% bonus, the bonus has not been 10% or 100% of the bonus in years, it was roughly 7% this year). Stock has been flat for over 9 years.**

**You will fly lots of weekend days. Only 7 hard days off in a 4 week period, not sure where he gets the 11 days off, you'll be on standby quite a bit, with a 1 hour max show time. Plus, the off schedule can be eradicated at any moment by management.**

**Not true-lots of weekend flying, not much holiday flying, but you can bet your sweet A** you'll be on standby alot on the holidays.**

Company credit card for meals on the road.

**Lowest in the industry meal allowance of 10 bucks per day trip-up to 14 hour duty day, on idle days it is 6, 8 and 11 for breakfast lunch and dinner- including tax and tip- Hello Subway and McDonalds) These guidelines have been the same since the mid 90's! Hotel over 99 bucks 30+ miles outside of class B airspace or 129 inside Class B airspace requires a consultation/approval with a chief pilot. Very, very tight micromanaging of expenses.**

Other than those items, a pretty good place to work.

ZapBrannigan
03-25-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't think i've ever had 10 overnights a month unless you count FSI, but I suppose the rest of what ARPilot31a says is true. I guess we all look at the department through the lens of our past experiences.

To me it's a pretty good gig -- but I admit I don't have any other corporate experience to compare it to.

trafly
03-26-2008, 04:37 AM
I have several friends who fly for Wal-Mart and they all love the job. Most have been there 10+ years, going back to the Commander days. They all say the same things: stable, home most nights, good benefits, very safety conscious. Having seen the company ops manual, I can attest to the fact that Wal-Mart does not cut corners when it comes to their flight department. As for the pay scale, you must remember that you're talking about living in northwest Arkansas! It's all relative. Median home price is in the $200k range, so QOL is pretty good. Just my 2 cents.

fly4food84
04-05-2008, 08:36 PM
So before we begin let's put this rumor to rest once and for all.

WAL-MART PILOTS DO NOT SHARE HOTEL ROOMS!!!

That's good news. Did they ever use to share hotel rooms?

577nitro
04-09-2008, 11:19 AM
I don't think i've ever had 10 overnights a month unless you count FSI, but I suppose the rest of what ARPilot31a says is true. I guess we all look at the department through the lens of our past experiences.

To me it's a pretty good gig -- but I admit I don't have any other corporate experience to compare it to.

So ZAP, is this the person I should submit my resume to?

[email protected]

Thanks,
577nitro-

Gilmore
04-09-2008, 06:17 PM
YES they did share holtel rooms at one time & no rental cars & $6.00 lunches & 8.00 dinners. That was then--sounds as if it has gotten alot better OR someone has nothing else to judge it to. It wasn't for me, but IT DID help get to where I wanted to go. It was alot of flying, but great experience. I still have a friend there. For each his own.

beechbum
04-09-2008, 09:34 PM
There are some good people there, but unfortunately there are a handful of really bad people there too. It is very political. I decided it was time to move on when my team leader (I think she is now one of the chief pilot's) told me my job as an FO was "to protect the ego of the captain." This came shortly after the Captain nearly flew me into the mountain north of Flagstaff on the ILS; well...the Loc had full scale deflection but he was still trying to follow the glideslope. I didn't like it there, but a lot of the pilots do. Visit the flight department and talk to a lot of pilots informally before you make a decision. It is a very unique flight department.

Do they still have the sign on the paper towel dispenser in the upstairs restroom that says not to use more than ONE paper towel?

ToiletDuck
04-10-2008, 09:28 AM
I met an ex pilot of theirs in SAT one time. He said they treat their pilots like they are a regular cashier at the store.

kc10pilot
04-10-2008, 10:26 AM
This came shortly after the Captain nearly flew me into the mountain north of Flagstaff on the ILS; well...the Loc had full scale deflection but he was still trying to follow the glideslope.

this kind of upsets me. you mean you both almost flew into a mtn, you were up front too right? not trying to be antagonistic but they put two pilots up front for more than just gear

LearPilot
04-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm curious about how tough it is to get on with Wal-Mart. I know someone said they hire around 3000 hours but is it a place that you have to know someone or can you send your stuff in and get a call. What is the turnover like? If upgrade is automatic after 3 years is that because people are leaving or do captains fly together sometimes. Also I had a friend that worked there about 10 years ago and they would make him go to the Wal-Mart pep rallies once a month. Any insight would be appreciated.

beechbum
04-10-2008, 04:51 PM
this kind of upsets me. you mean you both almost flew into a mtn, you were up front too right? not trying to be antagonistic but they put two pilots up front for more than just gear
edited....I first listed everything that took place on the flight to Flagstaff, but I decided that wasn't appropriate for a public forum. So, KC10, since you assume that I just sat there and raised and lowered the gear, let me ask you this. How do you think it went from that flight scenerio, to the team leader telling me my job is to protect the ego of the captain. Do you think it would have got that far if I just sat there and allowed that situation to develop with no reaction? Think about it a little before you start to jump to conclusions and bashing me. If you would like more info, PM me and I'll be happy to discuss the scenerio that played out. If you have advice, I am happy to listen. Situations like this can be discussed in CRM classes all day long, but you can never fully train for an exact situation. I did what I thought should have been done at the time. I still feel like I reacted favorable, but there are other opinions also. I am alive so something was done correctly.
I believe the reason for a three year upgrade is because some First Officers were leaving for positions that offered quick upgrade or for Captain positions because for a while upgrade time at Wal-Mart was very long.

OkieFlyer
07-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Any new info on walmart. Hiring status??? ZapBrannigan could you give me an email address to send my resume? Any info is much appreciated.

Okie

ZapBrannigan
07-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Not hiring. I doubt there will be any hiring in 2008.
Send your resume to: [email protected] (Chief Pilot)

Wish I had better news for you

Pigs Fly
07-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Any updates to hiring status for Wal-Mart?

Will a LR 35 type rating make a resume look better?

undflyboy06
08-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Any updates to hiring status for Wal-Mart?

Will a LR 35 type rating make a resume look better?

I know it's been pretty quiet since their last hiring session in May. I'm sure the LR 35 type wouldn't help, but you might not need it. I was called to do a phone interview in April and I didn't have the LR type.

Keep your ears open and patrol the forums. I found out about the last application opening via aviation forums like this one.

Bill Lumberg
08-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Deleted...........

Tsanford134
11-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Any new info? I know they got a pay raise. How are the hotels and the schedule?