Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : One of Trans States' "new" 145s

Foxcow
04-04-2008, 04:35 PM
When the crew and I were waiting at the gate, I noticed on the paperwork that the airplane is one of the ex-Mesa planes. I kind of wanted to check out what it was like. We get on the plane and as I was going through the log can during pre-flight, I thought that the mechanic must have been rushing and put the sticker on the wrong part of the can...

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb252/Foxcow/DSCN0257.jpg

I open the can and was blinded...:eek:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb252/Foxcow/DSCN0254.jpg

I thought it was a little humorous...

ExperimentalAB
04-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Holy crow...

POPA
04-04-2008, 04:56 PM
It took me a few months after leaving TSA before I was comfortable flying a plane without a row or two of DMI stickers across the EICAS bezel.

Scooter2525
04-04-2008, 04:56 PM
for the noobie... are those squaks?

POPA
04-04-2008, 04:57 PM
for the noobie... are those squaks?

They are Deferred Maintenance Items, which are broken parts of the airplane that don't have to be fixed yet.
They're also a great reason to not fly for TSA.

JetJock16
04-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Yes, it's like our Ex-Mesa Bro's. We've had those things for YEARS and YEARS but we still can't correct some of the problems cause by their neglect. Even after replacing most of the Eq, Engines and Props.

The two worst EMB-120's in the fleet are ex-Mesa bro's. N#'s: 250YV and 251YV.

Scooter2525
04-04-2008, 05:02 PM
The two worst EMB-120's in the fleet are ex-Mesa bro's. N#'s: 250YV and 251YV.

keep those number in mind....

JetJock16
04-04-2008, 05:05 PM
keep those number in mind....

Why's that? Or do you mean "you'll" keep those numbers in mind?

Unfortunately I've had the misfortune of spending several trips flying them and there's nothing like being unable to get the internal temperature gauge to drop below 40C during the summer in LA. They also fly very crooked and their gremlins are always showing their ugly heads.

Scooter2525
04-04-2008, 05:13 PM
"you'll"... as in me.. .hehe. Too bad they can't get them fixed. just hope if its THAT broke, no one flys it

JetJock16
04-04-2008, 05:20 PM
"you'll"... as in me.. .hehe. Too bad they can't get them fixed. just hope if its THAT broke, no one flys it

They're airworthy and completely safe, there just not a pilots friend. But the N#200's and N#300's (all ending in SW) are great Bros and the N#500's (ending in SW) are a little bent, they fly a bit crooked and need a bit more trim than the others. Probably because they were made after Embraer had shutdown the production line. SKW came along, ordered quite a few N#500 Bro's and had them pull the line out of moth balls so they don't fly quite right, plus they are heavier.

grossole
04-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Most of those DMI's aren't for broken things on the airplane. They are for extending the time on inspections, and recurrent inspections.

Seatownflyer
04-04-2008, 06:03 PM
hey, i just flew 251yv the other day. i guess we got lucky, no gremlins. and funny you should mention how great the 300's are, we lost an eec on final on a 300 during the 2nd day of that trip. hah.

reevesofskyking
04-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Well it was a brand new log can, what better way to get all the stick **** all over it so quick so it looks normal

Foxcow
04-04-2008, 06:10 PM
It took me a few months after leaving TSA before I was comfortable flying a plane without a row or two of DMI stickers across the EICAS bezel.

Oooooh it wasn't anywhere near that bad.

JetJock16
04-04-2008, 06:12 PM
hey, i just flew 251yv the other day. i guess we got lucky, no gremlins. and funny you should mention how great the 300's are, we lost an eec on final on a 300 during the 2nd day of that trip. hah.

LOL! That's great! I lost an EEC on T/O at about 200' once! My heart dropped until I realize what had happened. You have to love those damn things.

Pilotpip
04-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Those new mesa planes will fit right in with the EPs.

N2rotation
04-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Leaving all that at Mesa sure is nice.

No lies, I usually see 1 maybe 2 MELs per month on the line at XJT.

reevesofskyking
04-04-2008, 06:15 PM

That is what I have heard before.

How do you guys learn how to fly those things if they never break?

Just kidding of course

rickair7777
04-04-2008, 06:16 PM

As opposed to 8-12 per leg at YV...

WhizWheel
04-04-2008, 06:50 PM
I remember one night in Kennedy we were scheduled to take one of the Freedom Dash 100's to BTV. Weather in Kennedy was marginal and by the time we were to land in BTV it was supposed to be right at mins, 1/2 mile vis, gusty winds and no tower as it was going to be around 3am. The plane had a busted autopilot, busted yaw damp and the captains attitude indicator was shot. Dispatch and chief pilot insisted that that wasn't even close to unsafe in those conditions and to board up immediately. We refused. Not sure which carpet dance we did but it was a long performance.

flynavyj
04-04-2008, 08:20 PM
NEF items cloggin up the can, looks like 851, pulled the release for it tonight on my STL DH, noticed about 8 things written up, mostly NEF stuff though, but did have the TCAS II Fail DMI, and recently an APU Fail DMI....gotta love it, wonder when TSA is gonna show up on the news for maintenance items, like all the majors are.

reevesofskyking
04-04-2008, 08:59 PM
NEF items cloggin up the can, looks like 851, pulled the release for it tonight on my STL DH, noticed about 8 things written up, mostly NEF stuff though, but did have the TCAS II Fail DMI, and recently an APU Fail DMI....gotta love it, wonder when TSA is gonna show up on the news for maintenance items, like all the majors are.

They might not ever make it to the news as long as they do not get cozy with the faa, and then something bad happen, self disclose. Then and only then if our planes are in pretty enough colors will fox news or cnn pick it up. even then they are going to talk to our "boss" airlines, and they will just spin it off like they have no idea who we are or how we run things.

Atreyu
04-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I know bashing TSA is almost as irresistible as calling a prostitute a *****, but I just looked up 851 on our FTWEB, and there's only 2 ACTUAL MEL items, which are the APU and TCAS.

The 6 other stickers include that there's a dent on one of the doors, 4 of them are about the fact that the ailerons have to be inspected, and one has to do with some inspection for the cargo door.

This new NEF thing we got is kinda retarded, seeing that all it does is not have us write up the coffee pots

POPA
04-05-2008, 04:18 AM
NEF is new to the TSA world since I was there. Anybody care to explain?

AV8ER
04-05-2008, 05:09 AM
A simple explanation...instead of a carryover list, items are put on the NEF...Nonessential Equipment Furnishings or something like that. So instead of just listing items on the carryover, NEF items are deferred more similar to the MEL.

cessna157
04-05-2008, 05:31 AM
A simple explanation...instead of a carryover list, items are put on the NEF...Nonessential Equipment Furnishings or something like that. So instead of just listing items on the carryover, NEF items are deferred more similar to the MEL.

Sounds like the GMM deferrals of the CRJ. Not necessarily a MEL, not a CDL, just "other"

JetJock16
04-05-2008, 06:00 AM
Sounds like the GMM deferrals of the CRJ. Not necessarily a MEL, not a CDL, just "other"

We call them MCI's for Maintenance Carryover Items which are cosmetic in nature and fit outside of the MEL and CDL lists. They allow for continuation of operations subject to availability of parts, equipment and facilities.

flynavyj
04-05-2008, 07:01 AM
pretty much what the last two said are what they are...just a different name....but it's to keep us pilots comfortable, because we wouldn't know what to do if the log can wasn't covered in orange stickers....

AV8ER
04-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Its easier to find during night flights with the orange glow...

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1