Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

MDT06
04-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I am fluent in Spanish and will finish my training soon. I plan to instruct for a while to build hours as I look for possible jobs. Sould I consider COPA or TACA? I heard the hire low timers......

Thanks in advance.....

fit29
04-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Copa's application process is a pain, believe me I went though it, I had to get a Panama CPL and the processs is slow and nobody really knows how it is supposed to work, after a week in Panama and missing work in the US I finally called it quits and came back, I have an interview with a regional in a couple of weeks.

If you can get on with Copa and they can do the conversion for you then go for it, otherwise, stay in the US. Also dont expect excellent pay or travel benefits, and the employee treatment is better in the US than in Panama. And upgrade will take FOREVER.

psycomant
04-10-2008, 06:36 PM
It depends on what you want to do next. If your plan is going to a major in the US then probably a regional is a good way to go. If you're planning for an airline like Emirates, Virgin Atlantic, or anything like that then 737 time might be helpful. The only problem is that COPA has a pretty long upgrade time from what I know, so if then you're plan is to go overseas in some airline like the ones I mentioned you might be missing the TPIC time.

MDT06
04-10-2008, 10:14 PM
I am looking to go to Asia after copa, but I need the 737 experience and rating.

HalinTexas
04-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Where are you applying to Copa?

HalinTexas
04-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Bump.

Anyone know how to get in touch with Copa?

Bri85
04-16-2008, 03:30 PM
go to PPRune, they have a big section on copa on the caribbean latin america forum...

from what I hear, is that a pain in the rear the application process, they are underpay due to the rising cost in panama city, long upgrade plans, no travel benefits, etc.... most of the captains are leaving for jobs in the middle east(emirates/etihad) , india, and asia

They say is not a bad place to get a free 737 type rating, do some time and jumpship asap

MDT06
04-16-2008, 03:31 PM
nuestrohubdotcom

jet320
04-16-2008, 03:44 PM
go to PPRune, they have a big section on copa on the caribbean latin america forum...

from what I hear, is that a pain in the rear the application process, they are underpay due to the rising cost in panama city, long upgrade plans, no travel benefits, etc.... most of the captains are leaving for jobs in the middle east(emirates/etihad) , india, and asia

They say is not a bad place to get a free 737 type rating, do some time and jumpship asap

You can say that again!!! I flew for LACSA (TACA) in Costa Rica, and yes EK EH India and even the USA. Pilots are leaving!!!

COPA 95 hr montly 5800 USD on 737, TACA a bit higger!!!

India 115 120 hrs monthly 15000 TAX FREE!!!:rolleyes:

MDT06
04-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Please let me know how else I could build hours and go to ASIA. If I go to a regional, I will make less, and I won't be as competitive as having experience in a 737. If I have to pay my dues, which we all do, I rather gain as much experience as possible....

poorpilot
05-05-2008, 07:19 PM
MDt06,

No clue why flt29 had to go through all of that...but personally the process was painless. Just send them an email and wait for the call, they'll send you an e-ticket with jumpseat authorization...come down to pty and go to the interview-not a big deall at all. A couple of weeks later they call again and you come down for training....they set you up in a hotel while they get the apartment ready and all you do is go to ground school and then sim and then observer flights (2-3) and then start IOE....Not a big deal at all....It's great down here no hassle bueatiful girls incredible places to visit and best of all captain in about 4 years (depends on time when you came in) see it's painless

pp

send cv to [email protected]

Chris
05-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Spanish fluency a requirement? I realize it would be a pain in the rear to not know Spanish but I have to ask.

poorpilot
05-10-2008, 01:12 AM
The spanish fluency is only a prerequisite if you want to pick-up some of the F/A's, otherwise not a big deal at all. We already have more than 30 american captains who don't speak a word of spanish, and all they do is have the standard callouts for the mechanics written on a piece of paper to remember how to say it in spanish.

-PP

cdaniel
05-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Hey poorpilot i sent you a pm from about copa let me know thxs.cdaniel.....

Delta1054
05-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Hey poorpilot what are the hiring mins. for copa?? Does Copa have anykind of affiliation with Continental?? And if they do they don't share anykind of benies?? Thanks for the help...

Spaceman Spliff
05-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Hopefully they don't share CAL's health care "bennie" for new hires.

Watch out for your cornhole in PTY, bud.

poorpilot
05-16-2008, 09:31 AM
My understanding is that CAL after 9/11 was anxious to get into the Latin/South america market like AAL had done several years back. COPA back then only had -200's and somehow CAL managed to buy 49% of COPA's shares and basically from one day to another a re-structure of the company ocurred. We bought 15 NG's and slowly began to grow into the what we are today. Slowly CAL began take steps back, and not really sure why until they've basically left the picture for good exept for some code-sharing flights and CAL flights into PTY. As for the benefits....no J/S at CAL just crew discounts for travel tickets.

-PP

Ohh and delta, no real mins, just as long as you have your comm/multi/inst and about 250hrs more is better though.

Delta1054
05-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Sounds good!! Thanks for the help, I have always wondered how Copa was. I will keep them in mind :)

Joepa84
05-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey Poor pilot,

I sent them a resume the other day and got a reply that they were reviewing it. What can I expect for the turn around time? I minored in Spanish in college and have about 580/40, when I applied. What can one expect on the turn around time for a concrete response? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me.

Chris
05-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Also:

- About how many guaranteed days off a month?

- I understand you're on reserve.. how long do you think before you'll be able to hold a line? How senior are the F/O lines for the longer haul US routes?

Thanks!

poorpilot
05-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Chris,

-On average you get 7 g-days/month.
-Every year you get whole month on reserve with alternating service periods
(i.e.from 6am-2pm on AM days, and on PM days your on from 2pm 'til 10pm.)
Also during your month n reserve you get paid an average of what
you've made in the past months + per diem for any flights.
-As an expat, your seniority goes down the drain, but you can make a "formal" request for the flights you want every month and they are usually pretty good about assigning them but no guarantees. On the contrary if you where panamanian, you could just call in the request to the schedulers...

Best of luck to you all!!
-PP

Bri85
05-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Is there a gouge somewhere for Copa?

poorpilot
05-21-2008, 06:30 PM
i guess it depends on exactly what your loking for! PM-me

pp

turbovela
06-01-2008, 05:40 AM
I was wondering who is paying more...COPA or TACA? also what are the requirements for COPA? Also, would a job with TACA or COPA help me get a job with the majors in the US?

jet320
06-01-2008, 09:06 AM
I was wondering who is paying more...COPA or TACA? also what are the requirements for COPA? Also, would a job with TACA or COPA help me get a job with the majors in the US?

14 YEARS at TACA, (LACSA) 4 interviews at the Majors!!
Pending class with one, if everything clears.

BUT,....in Costa Rica you got to be a resident, if not..forget it.

El Salvador... I think the same.

jweinerbu
07-26-2008, 05:38 PM
I realize this thread may be a bit outdated at this point, but i'm wondering if you guys have any info. re: whether Copa is still interviewing. I'm close to 135 ATP mins., but with the industry here in the tank and myself young/not tied down, now seems like a good time to take the opportunity to live and fly abroad if it's out there. I've logged into the jobs portion of Copa's website but didn't see a First Officer posting...

poorpilot, is that email address still current for cv's? Would it be appropriate to submit even though there is no posting on their website?

jw