Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Nooorm
04-15-2008, 08:45 PM
from the St Louis Post-Dispatch:
American Connection operator cancels flights at Lambert (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/stories.nsf/story/FC4308A141AB6B7D8625742D0005059D?OpenDocument)

The Trans States 'Ramp Control' guy in STL said that it was much like American Airlines problem. He said TSA's airplanes are grounded until they get inspections done.

The Post-Dispatch says it's only half their fleet and it sounds like it shouldn't take long.

here we go again!

ToiletDuck
04-15-2008, 08:47 PM
I wonder if they have a "spare" MX vehicle stored they can use to help meet the demand. If so I need to grab my camera and get a picture of it. The current 4 different color model with speed tape holding the windows on is killer.

TBucket
04-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Apparently it IS only part of the fleet, as some flights were going out of ORD tonight. (The rest were being frantically repo-ed to STL)

reevesofskyking
04-15-2008, 11:23 PM
I just got home from that all of that.
Now 3 in the morning.

24 airplanes on both united and american flying.
8 hours per airplane to bring back into complince.

Reeves

Airtran717
04-16-2008, 04:53 AM
It affected the electronic controls for steering the nosewheel and Bill Mishk said that the nosewheel was not needed for safety of flight. Well, I had several nosewheel hard overs in the old EMB-145. I guess that is why there was a memory item for "Nosewheel Hardover". Oh yeah, they usually occurred on landing, which is a phase of flight..

Interesting....... :eek:

DYNASTY HVY
04-16-2008, 05:04 AM
It affected the electronic controls for steering the nosewheel and Bill Mishk said that the nosewheel was not needed for safety of flight. Well, I had several nosewheel hard overs in the old EMB-145. I guess that is why there was a memory item for "Nosewheel Hardover". Oh yeah, they usually occurred on landing, which is a phase of flight..

Interesting....... :eek:
No its just needed for safety on the ground!:rolleyes:

Airtran717
04-16-2008, 05:16 AM
Got it!

Thanks for clarifying that!:D

cessna157
04-16-2008, 05:35 AM

Isn't that like saying death is a part of life.

Pilotpip
04-16-2008, 06:13 AM
Hulie got smacked with a pretty big fine about a year ago for GJ failing to comply with an AD and swapping a few engines without any documentation.

But that's a different company...

POPA
04-16-2008, 06:22 AM
Trans States' favorite trick in the past was to wait for a DMI to expire and swap the offending part into another plane so they could DMI it all over again.

Flyby1206
04-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Trans States' favorite trick in the past was to wait for a DMI to expire and swap the offending part into another plane so they could DMI it all over again.

Thats the kind of BS the FAA should be policing if they really want to increase safety. Wire tie spacing on the MD80s pales in comparison to the crap at some smaller carriers. Ive heard some really scary stories about places like Colgan and the MX there.

JayDee
04-16-2008, 10:00 AM
I was at work last night when it happend. I have a copy of the ferry permit for one of there planes around here some where... I think the nose gear is pretty damn important... But that is just me, I may be just a wuss...

Real pilots can ride it in to the gate with the nose up lol

btwissel
04-16-2008, 11:37 AM

i got 823HK all the way from 4R in ORD to the Fox gates from the right seat.

couldn't make the turn into the gate, since the plane won't let you open just one reverser

dwightkschrute
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM

True, just need a little bit more power to get to the gate.

Foxcow
04-16-2008, 02:05 PM
i got 823HK all the way from 4R in ORD to the Fox gates from the right seat.

couldn't make the turn into the gate, since the plane won't let you open just one reverser

Hmmmmm... I don't know about that one. The 90 degree turn onto delta from Q would be impossible without a little "guidance" from the CA ;). There are a few other suspect turns that I can think of as well.

DylanFan
04-16-2008, 05:52 PM

I thought that kind of stuff only happened in the Part 91/135 world. Oh well. As a rule, you have to kill at least 100 people in two separate incidents before the FAA will even pretend to do anything. (At least until a month ago that was the case.)

ExperimentalAB
04-16-2008, 06:29 PM
I've witness first-hand a no-tiller taxi off 28 at ORD to gate C3...Wasn't the smoothest of runs, but I was certainly impressed!

TBucket
04-16-2008, 11:34 PM
If you stand on one brake, and push the opposite thrust lever to full t/o-1, it'll probably get around... or explode... Never know...

Airtran717
04-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Come, come...

We ought to give them the benefit of the doubt. After all, they are FAA diamond award winners in maintenance, right?

:D

laxflier
04-17-2008, 03:54 AM
So are most of the Howard Johnsons in STL... Diamond Winners....Maybe cubic zirconia....

ERJ Driver
04-17-2008, 06:21 AM
I wonder if they have a "spare" MX vehicle stored they can use to help meet the demand. If so I need to grab my camera and get a picture of it. The current 4 different color model with speed tape holding the windows on is killer.

Hey, that one is an X-YV plane isnt it?? I think I know that one... wait. All of our planes have speed tape holding the windows in! Hello, FAA?
:D

squawkoff
04-18-2008, 02:21 AM

I flew there in 90-91 and they were doing that then with the Merlins. They still doing it?????

reevesofskyking
04-18-2008, 02:31 AM
Has anyone heard if they are all back on line yet.

murkdaddy
04-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Heard yesterday from maintenance around 1pm that they still had 5 more to go