Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Trans States Reliability?

Lambourne
04-20-2008, 06:53 PM
All Trans States guys and gals. Just checking to see if there is a something afoot? Seems that every flight I have tried to commute on operated by TSA has either been hours delayed or hours delayed followed by a cancellation.

You guys are always very gracious in trying to getting me in the jumpseat and it is greatly appreciated. However, just trying to plan my commutes, which so far have not go very well in the past couple of months. It seems to have been just within the past 2-3 months that this is occurring. Did not know if it was a WOE program (Withdrawal of Enthusiasm)

Thanks
Lambourne

ExperimentalAB
04-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Well...recently, it might have something to do with the grounding of half their fleet. Prior to that...well you're on your own LoL

Lambourne
04-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Well...recently, it might have something to do with the grounding of half their fleet. Prior to that...well you're on your own LoL

Definitely predates the grounding. Sitting in a hotel tonight because of cancellation and did not make it home. Oh well, the price I pay to commute.

ExperimentalAB
04-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Ouch...that's no fun. I moved somewhere where my only direct options were GoJet and Mesa. Thank goodness then for Southwest and Midway, and the shuttle between them and ORD LoL...

Oh, and I can tell you - during my time there (now over one year ago), I only witnessed a few cancellations...

Stryker
04-21-2008, 04:22 AM
I flew on TSA twice last Tuesday and both flights were on time departures and early arrivals so I dont know what to tell you..

reevesofskyking
04-21-2008, 05:27 AM
I think only some of the story has to do with MX. The AD thing was bad, but most of the time the pilot group fights tooth in nail to get a flight out on time, and we do it all day long for four days. We work hard to provide a good service.

I gut feeling with some of the late flights and cancels.

i think we damn near have more flying than planes. once a late flight, then that snowball gets going down hill pretty fast all day.

Give this thread some time, there are sure to be more to post their opinions.

Reeves

Atreyu
04-21-2008, 07:23 AM
I've commuted every trip for over a year from ORD and always took the last flight on TSA leaving myself one option.

Never had a problem :o

Pokerpilot
04-21-2008, 09:52 AM
It's hard to pin point what the problem could be. All the flights I operate on leaves 10 mins early. Where are you commuting from?

Foxcow
04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Can't say that I have ever had a problem commuting using "us."

mking84
04-21-2008, 06:17 PM
It's hard to pin point what the problem could be. All the flights I operate on leaves 10 mins early. Where are you commuting from?

Wow! What is your secret?

TBucket
04-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Haha, TSA doesn't cancel... Hulas would defer the left wing if it meant getting that departure out.

flynavyj
04-21-2008, 06:59 PM
when the company cares more about completion factor than ontime performance, you better bet they'll do their best to get the plane out...even if it's delayed until midnight.

This last 3 day of mine, we were late every leg, were catching up with it by the end, but with the non-english-proficient dulles employees, even our last flight (which should have been 5 minutes late) was delayed an extra 20 minutes.

I'd guess that most problems are maintenance related, as that's what's caused the other delays i've had for the last couple weeks. best of luck.

Pilotpip
04-21-2008, 08:21 PM
I hope you remembered to hook up the ground power and turn off the APU to conserve fuel while you were there Navy. Of course doing so would require you to speak 5 languages. :)

Short of last week when the planes were grounded, I've never had a problem riding on TSA unless the flight was full.

Salukipilot4590
04-22-2008, 03:39 AM
Wow! What is your secret?

HAS to be never going through IAD or ORD on the UA side... Take ORD and IAD out of the equation and UA flying is a blast! The ops guy that works nights in DEN should be sent to ORD and IAD to train those ops guys how to "operate."

All that and having to speak 10 languages is kinda hard when you only have 30 minutes to turn.

Stryker
04-22-2008, 07:00 AM
They should give you a cheat sheet with common phrases in all 5 or 10 languages... Esp Hurry the F up.. haha

TBucket
04-22-2008, 07:05 AM
They should give you a cheat sheet with common phrases in all 5 or 10 languages... Esp Hurry the F up.. haha

I'm pretty sure one of the guys over at the C gates speaks a language that's mostly clicks... I'm not sure it even has a written version...

ExperimentalAB
04-22-2008, 07:41 AM
HAS to be never going through IAD or ORD on the UA side... Take ORD and IAD out of the equation and UA flying is a blast! The ops guy that works nights in DEN should be sent to ORD and IAD to train those ops guys how to "operate."

All that and having to speak 10 languages is kinda hard when you only have 30 minutes to turn.

I don't know about that...every Ops guy in DEN I've come across likes to steer the airplane for us - tell us how to turn, when to turn, etc...! :eek:

mking84
04-22-2008, 11:22 AM

Maybe it has something to do with pulling the breaker on the ACARS...??

flynavyj
04-22-2008, 12:23 PM
well...if you pull the breaker for the ACARS, the ACARS won't work, which wouldn't really help you get in or out of anywhere quicker...unless you just called the times in and fudged it by a couple minutes....and that's just NOT right!

Atreyu
04-22-2008, 02:02 PM
you know mainline does that to, right?
I'm not saying that all TSA guys do it either, seeing that UA is coming out and saying it's fraud

reevesofskyking
04-22-2008, 02:22 PM
it is no different than rolling back the time clock before you punch your time card, and then rolling it forward so you can go home earlier.

That is accepted as fraud.

AV8ER
04-22-2008, 02:39 PM

Call it as it is boys. We've been in negotiations for 2 years with no end in site and you want to call it early to make 3 more dollars? I'm not saying to not do your job, or intentionally make it late, but our planes are always 3, 4, or 5 minutes late do to a lav serivce, late boarding, count descrepancies, mx, etc. Call it as it is. No point in helping this place out until they help us out.

mking84
04-22-2008, 03:12 PM
well...if you pull the breaker for the ACARS, the ACARS won't work, which wouldn't really help you get in or out of anywhere quicker...unless you just called the times in and fudged it by a couple minutes....and that's just NOT right!

No but you do get an out time :)....

RockyMtnFO
04-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Call it as it is boys. We've been in negotiations for 2 years with no end in site and you want to call it early to make 3 more dollars? I'm not saying to not do your job, or intentionally make it late, but our planes are always 3, 4, or 5 minutes late do to a lav serivce, late boarding, count descrepancies, mx, etc. Call it as it is. No point in helping this place out until they help us out.

Agree 100%, not to mention trying to explain to a Fed why you have a pulled breaker without a collar or write-up...

Atreyu
04-22-2008, 04:59 PM
"I just don't want a flight manager to call me and ask why it was late"....then they ***** all day about rampers and company screwing them

AV8ER
04-22-2008, 07:09 PM
"I just don't want a flight manager to call me and ask why it was late"....then they ***** all day about rampers and company screwing them

As long as there is a delay code in the system, you will rarely get a call. on united, send an acars with the reason. With american and usair, call dispatch. I've only gotten a call when they're not sure what the reason is. Just make sure you're not the reason its late.

Atreyu
04-22-2008, 08:07 PM
As long as there is a delay code in the system, you will rarely get a call. on united, send an acars with the reason. With american and usair, call dispatch. I've only gotten a call when they're not sure what the reason is. Just make sure you're not the reason its late.
Explain that to all the line captains

Pokerpilot
04-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Carefull now boys and girls. Call it as it is and I promise you after coding the delay on ramp and gate agents like 1000 times, they will get your airplane off the gate 10 mins early whenever they know it's your flight. Believe me it works, you with be on the shiz-list but you will have an ontime depature unless it's MX and weather.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1