Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Cathay from App to Interview?

Gunpig
05-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Any recent Cathay applicants... what was the timeframe from initial application to an interview offer?

Thx in advance

ashcroft
05-08-2008, 10:01 AM
about 4 months

paidtowait
05-08-2008, 08:25 PM
about 4 months

yep thats about the same for me.

later

mooseflyer
05-08-2008, 11:45 PM
How about from final interview to offer?

ashcroft
05-09-2008, 03:27 AM
don't know yet, but I will post up if I'm lucky enough to find out

MayFly135s
05-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Application: May 07
Initial: 21 Feb 08
2nd: 5-6 May 08
Offer: 10 May 08

jousteagle
05-09-2008, 07:24 AM
MF135,
Congrats on your successful interview process! When do you start training? Curious as to how long people are having to wait from job offer to start of training. Any advice for interviewees? Which base/jet did they offer (not sure if the F/O 777 in avatar is your current job or what CX offered). Been hearing rumors about 777 service to the states, but haven't seen anything confirmed. Thanks!

Fly safe

Sioux115
05-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Ashcroft, dude you're not doing a very good job at trying to keep Cathay off your mind until next week if you keep trolling these Cathay threads. Good Luck!

ashcroft
05-09-2008, 09:11 AM
yeah yeah tell me about it. It's hard to change your habits after 4-5 months of eating, sleeping, breathing, nothing but info on cathay.

uspilot
05-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey ashcroft
it will go by fast, than you have to wait more for your class date. See you soon in HKG.

uspilot
05-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Also someone asked about how long is the wait for class date. Will right now you are looking about 6 to 8 months wait for 7474 and about 3 months for 777. The only 777 base that is open to DEFO is YYZ, be very carefull taking that base as starting next year yyz will become offshore base and at that point CX will report your income to Canadian, you might run in to some problem at customs. LAX and JFK are both open to new hire. I was offerd a B777 back in Jan but I took B7474 out of JFK as its 4 hours drive from home. All new hires are coming in as Unified DEFO so you will fly both Cargo and Pax. Good luck to all and welcome to Cathay City.....

Gunpig
05-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Thx for the words... I was beginning to worry after 3 months, I guess I should strap in for a long ride. Baring todays current employment environment, I am sure they have alot of non-takers on interviews as alot probably already have jobs by the time they are offered an interview!

ryguy
05-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Also someone asked about how long is the wait for class date. Will right now you are looking about 6 to 8 months wait for 7474 and about 3 months for 777. The only 777 base that is open to DEFO is YYZ, be very carefull taking that base as starting next year yyz will become offshore base and at that point CX will report your income to Canadian, you might run in to some problem at customs. LAX and JFK are both open to new hire. I was offerd a B777 back in Jan but I took B7474 out of JFK as its 4 hours drive from home. All new hires are coming in as Unified DEFO so you will fly both Cargo and Pax. Good luck to all and welcome to Cathay City.....

Welcome aboard! On the 744 out of JFK I doubt you will ever see any pax flying but it is possible. If you are bent of flying pax only then take the 777. Now we just have to work on your abreviation for the new bird....it's B744 ;)

4everFO
05-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Welcome aboard! On the 744 out of JFK I doubt you will ever see any pax flying but it is possible. If you are bent of flying pax only then take the 777. Now we just have to work on your abreviation for the new bird....it's B744 ;)

DEFOs on the B744 will most likely see passenger flight on their rosters around the region....HKG-BKK, HKG-MNL, HKG, DPS, etc. There could even be positioning to LAX or SFO to pick up some slack as current PAX FOs head to HKG to convert to the light twin.

FO

ryguy
05-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah I guess they might since that is the plan for the 777 guys. I figured the LAX guys would do more than the JFK though since we are short in JFK. Well, off to another 8 day trip on Monday.....yeah for us FO.

jsfBoat
05-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Is it possible to apply with out meeting the mins, but every 60 days or so update the app? Will this make them aware that I'd be very interested in working for them? This is the airline I'd like to go fly for, (but cargo) and am taking the ride for my Commercial/Instrument next week.

Chris
05-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Or you could just work for them. Pardon my frankness, but that's what I'm doing in the hopes that Continental will see my three years of dutiful service out in the ramp amidst their tall stack of pilot resumes.

IndyAir Guy
05-11-2008, 12:58 AM
You may want to check on the company's official and unofficial policy of hiring employees from other departments as pilots. I once worked in the recruiting department at a now defunct airline and the word from the head office was dont hire them unless told to do so. I disagreed with this policy, but they didnt want people working there who where only doing it to become pilots. They also found it hard to hire front line employees because of the low pay, but had no problem finding pilot applicants. So if they got some one to be a ramper for example it was harder to replace him vs. finding people to interview as pilots. Its messed up I know but that is what "they" wanted.