Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Trans States Airlines

FactoryPilot08
05-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Anyone currently working for TSA or know anything about them? Are they hiring and what kind of time people have been hired with recently? I've never really looked into them until recently and couldn't find any recent posts about them. So any info on how good/bad it is would be awesome.

Stryker
05-09-2008, 05:42 AM
I am currently in a hiring pool with TSA and they are not hiring into classes right now. All classes were canceled. I was supposed to have started this Monday. I believe they might still be interviewing, but only into a hiring pool if they are. Reeves has worked there a while and he could give you some good insight on what the company is like....

HercDriver130
05-09-2008, 06:22 AM
that jives with what I know....had a CFI I knew who had a class date that was canceled a couple weeks ago.

Flyboy8784
05-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Dont worry though....Im sure becuase of those cancelled classes that there will be a division of Trans States Holdings that will be offering classes right down the hall from TSA....with nice 70 seat RJ's and a quick upgrade instead :p

Pokerpilot
05-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Where we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No major changes has happened at Transstates Airlines.

Are they Hiring: You can call the folks that do the hiring. There is a number under Career session at the company website. They will tell you what is going on, what kind of time they are looking for and what they had have hired recently.

FactoryPilot08, I think you waited too long to look into them. Transstates is in the same position as most regional, no hiring and no upgrades unless the industry changes overnight to where it was last summer.

Do your research, I would personally start at the company website, call the hiring folks, any information you find on this forums is probably still the same but be careful.

nicholasblonde
05-09-2008, 07:37 AM
On another note about TSA...I was riding to work the other day on one of their erjs, and the FO was doing stuff with a paper wheel flight computer...anyone have any idea what that's all about?

nicholasblonde
05-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Dont worry though....Im sure becuase of those cancelled classes that there will be a division of Trans States Holdings that will be offering classes right down the hall from TSA....with nice 70 seat RJ's and a quick upgrade instead :p

They could call it GoJet Connection...

Pilotpip
05-09-2008, 07:44 AM
On another note about TSA...I was riding to work the other day on one of their erjs, and the FO was doing stuff with a paper wheel flight computer...anyone have any idea what that's all about?

Weight and balance. We use them at RAH too. Well, shuttle doesn't anymore because we're doing performance through acars.

Blueskies21
05-09-2008, 08:09 AM
On another note about TSA...I was riding to work the other day on one of their erjs, and the FO was doing stuff with a paper wheel flight computer...anyone have any idea what that's all about? Maybe their ACARS was MEL'd. Don't you guys have some backup way of doing w&b?

Pilotpip
05-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Nope, that's how they do it all the time. As stated, they aren't the only ones.

The only aircraft at TSA equipped with Acars are the UA birds.

Atreyu
05-09-2008, 10:01 AM
people like to pick fun at those little whiz wheels, but you'll remember how awesome it all is when we do our own performance when you're trying to jumpseat on a short flight with max fuel on board, and we make the numbers work

ExperimentalAB
05-09-2008, 10:04 AM

Like Pilotpip said, it's the weight and balance "whiz-wheel," which I much prefer to the ACARS/Paper route...

Pokerpilot
05-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Maybe their ACARS was MEL'd. Don't you guys have some backup way of doing w&b?

Yes we do have a backup way it is called TRANSSTATES DISPATCH and good luck having it done correctly. I am joking they are fully trained just like every FO.

BURflyer
05-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Anyone currently working for TSA or know anything about them? Are they hiring and what kind of time people have been hired with recently? I've never really looked into them until recently and couldn't find any recent posts about them. So any info on how good/bad it is would be awesome.

I was in the training dept today. They won't be starting classes anytime soon. Instructors are going back to line flying and staff seemed happy to get a break.

threegreen
05-09-2008, 04:15 PM
anytime soon...july, aug, sep??? any ideas?

BURflyer
05-09-2008, 04:23 PM
anytime soon...july, aug, sep??? any ideas?

Well they've got a class of FOs finising now. From what I see it looks like FO staffing is O.K, not as bad as it used to be a few months ago, there is an excess of reserve pilots still not much though. Plus they just canceled the upgrade classes. I'm guessing once they start the upgrades they're going to need new FOs. We'll see how the summer goes. Hard to say what's going to happen with the economy and the majors.

threegreen
05-09-2008, 04:26 PM
i know what you mean...i well hopefully they start upgrading soon (since i am one of the ppl in the pool :( )

Atreyu
05-10-2008, 12:19 PM
I heard november when i was at the training center

threegreen
05-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Nov for the first class date???

Pokerpilot
05-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I heard november when i was at the training center

I heard the same too, that's a long wait..

reevesofskyking
05-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I dont beleive that for a second. i never have known managment to be able to look that far into the future.
Every time I have taken resumes in I asked them what they were doing for hiring, and they could just tell me what was going on for the next month.

threegreen
05-10-2008, 01:19 PM
i just dont understand why they are still interviewing if nothing is planned till nov. I am guessing (or hoping) Aug or Sept (since hiring is slowing during summer...rt??). Anyways, just hope it happens sooner than later

POPA
05-11-2008, 06:19 AM
i just dont understand why they are still interviewing if nothing is planned till nov. I am guessing (or hoping) Aug or Sept (since hiring is slowing during summer...rt??). Anyways, just hope it happens sooner than later

Trans States has a history of making terrible decisions when it comes to hiring and appropriate staffing levels.

Pilotpip
05-11-2008, 09:29 AM

Looking back, you may think this was the greatest thing to ever happen to you. Keep building time and go somewhere that doesn't treat their employees like crap.

Foxcow
05-11-2008, 09:52 AM
I would be extremely wary about going anywhere at this time. Who wants to be at the bottom of a seniority list with the industry in its current shape.

johnso29
05-11-2008, 09:54 AM
I would be extremely wary about going anywhere at this time. Who wants to be at the bottom of a seniority list with the industry in its current shape.

Someone without a job.

ExperimentalAB
05-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Yep...anywhere is better than the street...well with the exception of GoJet and perhaps Mesa, of course! :eek:

Atreyu
05-11-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm not drinking the company kool-aid, but some of the problems are as follows:
1) No Duty Rigs. This causes for 4 hours sits in ORD that's built into your paring, and you're only getting paid for the MKE-ORD flight, then ORD-STL and get paid 2 hours
2) Outstation basing. Double deadheading everywhere blows.
3) Calling anyone at the company. You're either talking to someone who's horrible at scheduling. Or travel planners who never pick up, or people in planning that won't responds and never help. They need more people in there, but won't hire more.

Otherwise, it's not THAT bad. The grass is always greener on the other side, and people in my class had gone to other airlines, and their lives aren't THAT much better.

ExperimentalAB
05-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Don't forget not only not being able to reach anyone by phone, but anytime you fax something (because everything requires a fax there), it mysteriously never gets received! :eek:

What a pain in the butt...

Foxcow
05-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Someone without a job.

I agree with that but I was referring to the people that have jobs that are thinking of making the jump. CFI's, corporate, etc.

flyinaway411
05-11-2008, 10:31 AM
faxing hasn't been done for awhile now. just listen to the people that currently work here. its pretty much what atreyu described.

johnso29
05-11-2008, 10:33 AM
I agree with that but I was referring to the people that have jobs that are thinking of making the jump. CFI's, corporate, etc.

Understood and agreed.:)

ExperimentalAB
05-11-2008, 10:47 AM
faxing hasn't been done for awhile now. just listen to the people that currently work here. its pretty much what atreyu described.

Well excuse me! So is everything done online now?? Educate me...

threegreen
05-11-2008, 11:22 AM
i know what you guys mean about staying put...In my case I have no multi time (31 multi). Being on the bottom of the list is not big deal for me (single and young). I realize that TSA is not the best thing out there, but I rather be building turbine time then flying a Warrior all day. I sacrificed a lot to be where i am today (like many pilot have) and i just want to see some sort of results.

ExperimentalAB
05-11-2008, 11:26 AM
i know what you guys mean about staying put...In my case I have no multi time (31 multi). Being on the bottom of the list is not big deal for me (single and young). I realize that TSA is not the best thing out there, but I rather be building turbine time then flying a Warrior all day. I sacrificed a lot to be where i am today (like many pilot have) and i just want to see some sort of results.

I wouldn't worry...Assuming the worst happens while you're at Trans States, you're still far more marketable than you would have been otherwise. Give it a shot. The place is bad, but it's not that bad.

reevesofskyking
05-11-2008, 11:41 AM
ExAB
We went to flica for all the scheduling stuff. drops trades swaps add are all done online with out paper, but also came with a union greivince on the issue of not taking faxes anymore, and other things.

If all the union/mangament quircks get worked out it it will be an alright systems. To be honest, and I will speak for me on this, but after the first month, it is not too bad. I spend most of my time learning all the work arounds that scheduling uses and I work with in that. I know my pilot group will not like to hear that,and I dont like doing it, but if I want to maintain any QOL that is what I do.

As for the others that have a hard time with planning and the other depts, there is not much I can say to that. I know planning consist of one person last i knew, and I have my doubts that she has all the time or resources availible to her to make a doable bid packet. I agree she needs more help if that is still the current situation.

Another thing that I hear and see first hand, is some pilots either do not know how or refuse to just talk to the schedulers as humans. i have been around long enough to see when the make me mad, it does no good to be mean or rude to them. I treat them with the same respect that i would want, and it has worked great for me. I would say I am running a 60/40 average of getting what I want from them. With our small pilot group they remember who you are.

Now I do not want to come off sounding preachy, sorry if I did. I just giving personal experince. keeping in mind I understand why there is no love loss between pilots and schedulers.

Reeves

ExperimentalAB
05-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Thank you Reeves, once again, for the cool-headed and thought-out response, unlike some others on here who would rather just berate...!

reevesofskyking
05-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Again it is just showing what I want from members on here, treat them the same way that I wanted to be treated. There is no value in getting into ****ing matches on here.

I often wonder if there is any relationship between age and manners.
I know very few on here personaly, but makes me wonder if some of the young 20's on here just simply seen enough life to know really how people want to be treated. Maybe they have not had enough time to understand business is business and friends are friends. Sometimes very hard to impossible to have both at the same time in the industry. I am not saying it cannot be done, but i do not make any bones about it, that my company contacts are just that contacts. I am polite and ask them how their day is going, are things going alright, but I do no think any mis understands that a friendship.

I apoligize if anyone felt singled out in that statement, I have been sitting here at the desk all day drinking coffee. Just letting my thoughts wonder

Reeves

flyinaway411
05-11-2008, 02:03 PM
relax, wasn't berating you...i was in a hurry and didn't have a lot of time. hence me summarizing tsa by "its pretty much what atreyu described."

reevesofskyking
05-11-2008, 02:23 PM
relax, wasn't berating you...i was in a hurry and didn't have a lot of time. hence me summarizing tsa by "its pretty much what atreyu described."

i am so relaxed I almost pooped myself

JK

Stryker
05-11-2008, 02:43 PM
just a bit too much information.... But sharing means caring right?

Atreyu
05-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Well excuse me! So is everything done online now?? Educate me...
Didn't seem like he berated you either, but your response kinda seemed snobby about everything being faxes. I'm willing to be $100 you worked at TSA for 4 mos, then left to Skywest or AWAC like many others?

And reeves is 100% right about schedulers. I usually ALWAYS get what i want, especially when the night shift shows up. There was a rule about not allowing us to Limo, and one of the supervisors told me that she told the manager in there "What about [atreyu] and these other 2 guys? I always rely on them whenever there's bad weather in IAD or ORD". I always call her, and I'll get my first or last legs dropped for doing a turn out of the hub.

My biggest gripe is they need more help in there, and it's VERY obvious. It's just funny how people are like "Well, i called scheduling, called so and so an idiot for not approving my DRQ, and now i can't get ANYTHING approved anymore!!!!:eek::eek:"

BURflyer
05-11-2008, 04:33 PM
The place is bad, but it's not that bad.

Which is it?

In all of my time I've been at TSA I've seen nothing but courteous staff and schedulers who go out of their way to help you. Most of the pilots have been nice. I came from a small tprop airline where we were literally treated like dirt by management/maintenance and schedulers who had the brains and personality of a wet sponge, not always bad though, thank god for stupid people. Anways, yea the pay sucks, some of the schedules suck, we do fly to ORD and IAD a lot but I find that there really is nothing to complain about it's not a bad airline.

TBucket
05-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Sadly, the schedulers are mostly idiots. And overworked idiots at that. (I had one call me once and notify me of a turn being cancelled two days before the call) That said, being nice to them does work wonders. It's generally not their idea when they have to call you and do something stupid... Reeves is right, they WILL remember you if you're a dick to them, too.

As far as TSA in general? It's not the best regional, but it's not the worst, either. You get out of it mostly what you make of it. (But it is a HELL of a lot better than spending a summer watching students try to kill you in a 172 that's falling apart).

ExperimentalAB
05-11-2008, 08:07 PM

::takes chill pill:: LoL it's all good :)

ExperimentalAB
05-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Which is it?

In all of my time I've been at TSA I've seen nothing but courteous staff and schedulers who go out of their way to help you. Most of the pilots have been nice. I came from a small tprop airline where we were literally treated like dirt by management/maintenance and schedulers who had the brains and personality of a wet sponge, not always bad though, thank god for stupid people. Anways, yea the pay sucks, some of the schedules suck, we do fly to ORD and IAD a lot but I find that there really is nothing to complain about it's not a bad airline.

What? For sure, a few of the Admin...but see below.

Sadly, the schedulers are mostly idiots. And overworked idiots at that. (I had one call me once and notify me of a turn being cancelled two days before the call) That said, being nice to them does work wonders. It's generally not their idea when they have to call you and do something stupid... Reeves is right, they WILL remember you if you're a dick to them, too.

As far as TSA in general? It's not the best regional, but it's not the worst, either. You get out of it mostly what you make of it. (But it is a HELL of a lot better than spending a summer watching students try to kill you in a 172 that's falling apart).

flynavyj
05-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Most of the schedulers at TSA aren't bad people, there are a couple who are a little slower than an ERJ, but for the most part they're alright. They are however, overworked, and understaffed. You're stuck with hundreds of pilot schedules being run by several individuals, and when the weather goes south, you can believe that efficiency goes out the window, and it becomes a very short sighted "We need a pilot in XYZ, lets send this guy from here to DH there, and send a reserve to cover his flying, and bring in another home reserve to cover the airport reserve we used"

Pilot group is good, and mostly enjoyable. It's not as close knit as it was when we had several aircraft types which allowed you to fly with the same person all month, and see the same (small) group of people day in and day out flying either the jetstream, atr, or jet...but still, it's what you make it...And at minimum, TSA will make you want to move on to something better, which should keep you from making a regional your final stop on the totem pole.

ExperimentalAB
05-11-2008, 08:19 PM
...And at minimum, TSA will make you want to move on to something better, which should keep you from making a regional your final stop on the totem pole.

No joke, that is an excellent way of looking at it...!

Atreyu
05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
The set up in scheduling is usually 4 schedulers, including a supervisor. Then there's one dispatcher per code share. Just imagine what they're going thru half the time, and sadly, they're just doing their job. I've been called before at 11am to make sure i called to check in at 6am, after i had flown two legs of my pairing.

I believe they make sure to call you and notify you still is so they can clear off the "notification" box. You all laugh about how stupid they can be, but how often have you yelled at someone for not being properly notified, then when they still try to properly notify you, you laugh.....

reevesofskyking
05-11-2008, 09:12 PM
But some of those bone head moves they make is not alot different than me missing a radio call from time to time. ATReyu, I think you you show a good picture of what 5 or 6 people are doing to 500, ok so maybe half of us are off work any given day. but that does not mean it does not mean our schedule needs attention.
I going to say that some of the mid afternoon bonehead things stem from the girls up there ordering their lunch and talking about everthing they have done. then one of them will say, "oh crap, I got to make this call real quick and take care of this schedule thing" and without much further thought there is not real check to see what is going on. They are looking at schedules and making calls out of habit. Unless you tell them that something does not sound right, they might never catch it, and everyone says thier dumb.
This is just my own idea of what goes on up there. I know the night shift is capable of having fun. I can hear them when I call in. I just try to play along and find out what is so funny. My other thought why they are laughing all the time when I call is they know my number when it pops up and they know that they are in for another retarded request from Reeves. I am almost certain of this since I have not gave my employee number to them in months. Good or bad, beats me.

I have even spent 20 minutes on the phone with one of them I liked and got her expreince with all the earthquakes in the past few weeks. It really turned out like having my mom on the phone, I can never get her to hang up either.

Long story short, I just like to mess with them and have fun. I think their job is harder than ours, and really do not think they get the training in the same way we get ours.

I just talked to them tonight, and I got what I wanted again.

Good night all, take care

Reeves

JayHub
11-05-2010, 06:51 AM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l168/buffie26/bueller.jpg

I havent heard anything from Waterskiers in a while, and with so many TSA threads on here... I thought i'd go ahead and resurrect this one.

Any latest and greatest?

Anyone?

Positive_Rate
11-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Still waiting for word on the proffer from the NMB...and waiting. No new negotiating sessions are scheduled. We're down 2 more planes as of recently. People are leaving left and right though (hired on elsewhere), so perhaps this will lead to recalls and upgrades. Other than that, quiet. Too quiet.

JayHub
11-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Still waiting for word on the proffer from the NMB...and waiting. No new negotiating sessions are scheduled. We're down 2 more planes as of recently. People are leaving left and right though (hired on elsewhere), so perhaps this will lead to recalls and upgrades. Other than that, quiet. Too quiet.

Too quiet.....funny that's exactly what i was thinking. So How many total pilots ( inc medical, military leave etc) are still on the list?

minimwage4
11-05-2010, 01:16 PM
trans states who??

clipperskipper
11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
They just purchased Compass, and they're hiring:Trans States Airlines :: Career Opportunities (http://www.transstates.net/careers.html)

minimwage4
11-05-2010, 01:50 PM
They just purchased Compass,

and they're hiring:Trans States Airlines :: Career Opportunities (http://www.transstates.net/careers.html)

Cool! Only 1000 hours, I can apply. Wish me luck.

undflyboy06
11-05-2010, 03:07 PM
The only way I'm going back is if we get a contract that is industry average, and the seniority lists for TSA, Compass and GoJet are combined, with TSA being towards the top of the seniority list. A BIG IF. :D

ehe2
11-05-2010, 04:37 PM
The only way I'm going back is if we get a contract that is industry average, and the seniority lists for TSA, Compass and GoJet are combined, with TSA being towards the top of the seniority list. A BIG IF. :D

Dream a little dream...

minimwage4
11-05-2010, 09:49 PM
It's never going to happen, it's too late. The only thing they might agree to bring some sort of job security for the labor between the 3 certificates is preferential hiring with re-interviews. Hulas has played it good.

Foxcow
11-06-2010, 06:52 PM
... nevermind ...

undflyboy06
11-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Dream a little dream...

A good dream is better then a bad dream.

Purpleanga
11-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Management stopped negotiating months ago after their last offer. Yet, still nothing from the NMB. If we get a proffer, they plan on transferring flying to the other certificates.

JayHub
11-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Management stopped negotiating months ago after their last offer. Yet, still nothing from the NMB. If we get a proffer, they plan on transferring flying to the other certificates.

you know, i remember a few years ago when ASA was fighting to get the contract they have now. Moral was at an all time low and it seemed as though there was no way in hell management was going to move...and then presto..the ankle grabbing stopped and they turned around with a contract that NO ONE saw coming. Waterskiers are standing for a principle and a belief in their self worth. Who knows if we'll get the contract or end up striking, but this whole debacle has gone on for far too long.

DryMotorBoatin
11-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Who knows if we'll get the contract or end up striking, but this whole debacle has gone on for far too long.

it had been going on way too long 3 years ago. on a side note, isnt it about time for those indian givers to issue another bogus recall?

TBucket
11-08-2010, 08:47 AM
I've heard rumors of another bogus recall in january. But really, nobody is holding their breath.

JayHub
11-11-2010, 06:38 AM
Sooooo, according to this site RIC is closing in Jan 2011. What does this mean for the Airways flying?

Atreyu
11-11-2010, 07:07 AM
Sooooo, according to this site RIC is closing in Jan 2011. What does this mean for the Airways flying?

RIC hasn't done Airways flying for 3 years now. They discontinued PIT-RIC flights, and all Airways flying is in STL

Purpleanga
11-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Latest VARS showed a 20-30% reduction in operating data compared to last year. That's troubling. I hope we get some kind of an agreement before years end. They gave up industry leading long ago, at least get something.

Salukipilot4590
11-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Anyone notice the following line:

"Please remember we still have 129 pilots on furlough."

Wasn't it 133 up until this last message?

Did I miss something?

Time2Fly
11-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Anyone notice the following line:

"Please remember we still have 129 pilots on furlough."

Wasn't it 133 up until this last message?

Did I miss something?

It changed a couple of emails ago..

I was wondering the same thing, where the 4 go?

johnso29
11-19-2010, 02:23 PM
It changed a couple of emails ago..

I was wondering the same thing, where the 4 go?

They probably told HK to shove it.

JayHub
11-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Latest VARS showed a 20-30% reduction in operating data compared to last year. That's troubling. I hope we get some kind of an agreement before years end. They gave up industry leading long ago, at least get something.

Same here bud, however as you've said before management is no longer negotiating with the pilot group.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1