Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

vagabond
05-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Mods, please move this if I've posted in the wrong forum. Thanks.

From KING5:

Low-cost airline wants to fly to Paine Field

05:40 PM PDT on Friday, May 16, 2008

By CHRIS DANIELS / KING 5 News

EVERETT, Wash. A low-cost airline wants to call Paine Field home, stirring up new controversy over bringing commercial traffic to the airfield.

Allegiant Air, which already flies out of Bellingham has expressed written interest in starting service out of Everett and it's already sparked reaction from Snohomish County leaders.

In a letter dated Thursday, a company vice-president writes to the airport director that Paine Field is an "excellent candidate" for commercial air service between Everett and Las Vegas, and the only obstacle may be a suitable passenger terminal.

But county leaders have been quick to dismiss the idea.

A spokesperson for Snohomish County Executive Aaron Reardon says the county's top leader is opposed to Allegiant's idea and will fight to prevent it.

"Sea-Tac (Airport) is better suited to that kind of commercial airline," said spokesman Christopher Schwarzen.

Neighbors we talked to aren't all thrilled with the idea, but admit that Paine Field is well suited for another airport.

The president of a pro-Paine Field flight group says Allegiant Air is a reputable airline and he's shocked by Reardon's reaction. Snohomish County Council Vice-chairman Mike Cooper says he'll do everything he can to stop commercial service at Paine Field.

Allegiant Air currently has 14 flights a week out of Bellingham International Airport.

CessnaCitationX
05-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Hahahahaha! That's the funniest thing I heard all day.

Well, I guess if they flew a FEW flights out of BLI, they could probably do one out of PAE.

QCappy
05-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Way too many NIMBYs in Mukilteo. Yep, the same people that moved into a house NEXT TO AN AIRPORT WERE THEY BUILD 747s, 777s, 767s AND 787s!!!!:rolleyes: But I guess according to these people we should remove the airport so their precious house values stay high. What a joke.

For the record, I live one mile west of SeaTac and rarely notice airport noise. Seriously. Of course I hear it all day long at work.:D

daytonaflyer
05-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Sounds like that could be a good route.
I don't blame the city for not wanting to build a terminal though. Allegiant does have a history of setting up shop and then pulling out of a market if the route is not profitable enough or a bigger competitor moves in.
I think they should just rent a bunch of mobile buildings that can be removed in that case.

Ziggy
05-28-2008, 08:38 AM
This just reminds me of when SWA then Alaska wanted to fly out of BFI. Personally I thought it a great idea, but was shot down by the city.

NoJoy
05-28-2008, 10:25 AM
PAE is a ghost town most of the time, unlike BFI. An airline service would to it some good.

meeko031
05-28-2008, 10:57 AM
I saw allegiant a couple days back in SBA with an elvis look alike and some showgirls. I guess they're now flying in SBA too. business must be good!

Dash8widget
05-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Horizon has tried a few times to get service into PAE approved - each time it was shot down due to noise concerns. And they were planning on flying a DHC-8 - not an MD-80

threegreen
05-29-2008, 02:47 AM
I saw them in MSP yesterday...must have been a charter flight

Slipstream
05-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Now they're looking at Bremerton (PWT).

ebl14
05-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Everett needs some action like that... maybe some of the snobs in Mukilteo will move away.

Fishfreighter
05-30-2008, 09:13 PM
It won't happen. And it won't happen for EXACTLY the same reason SWA didn't get into BFI...King County and the Port of SEA want the big bucks generated at SEA by landing fees. And with the money they've poured into airport expansion (3rd) runway, they AIN'T letting anyone operate anywhere else.

No bucks, no Buck Rogers.

cal73
05-31-2008, 04:50 AM
Now they're looking at Bremerton (PWT).

Airline svc to Bummertown? Sweet!!!

I vote for Tacoma Narrows (TIW) but they would need to do alot to the airport.

NoJoy
05-31-2008, 09:34 AM
They should also look at RNT. ;)

iflythewest
05-31-2008, 03:24 PM
I saw an MD-80 on a charter land at KTIW's 5002 foot strip. However, I think Bremerton is a lot more realistic than Tacoma.

cal73
06-01-2008, 02:15 PM
I saw an MD-80 on a charter land at KTIW's 5002 foot strip. However, I think Bremerton is a lot more realistic than Tacoma.

Whatever you say Mr. "grounded in reality".:D

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1