Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Any news from Cathay Pacific?

VQ2 Spanky
06-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Ladies and Gents,

Put my on line app in in April. Don't know anyone on the inside.
Have not heard anything back from them. Does anyone know the process/length of time? Do you get an email? Do I need to call someone?

Any info would be helpful on what needs to be done to get to the first interview?

Thank you,
Spanky

bubi352
06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
What is your experience?

go43andrti
06-19-2008, 07:47 AM
I am presently in training at CX. I was in the Recruitment office the other day to refer a friend of mine. They told me that there was a 6 month hiring freeze in North America. I have heard that there are Dragon Air and Oasis guys filling the slots that would have normally gone to new hires. That last part is simply rumor though.

Good luck.

4everFO
06-19-2008, 10:31 AM
If you are currently in training with CX, I hope that your position is incorrect.

Former KA pilots that are coming to CX will have a joining date of 01JUL08. Some of the former OASIS HK pilots managed to get in prior to the KA pilots. Some of the ex OASIS pilots were CX retirees....most of them (those that management "liked") were hired back as Captains. Some were also BA retirees, never having worked for CX and they too get to be hired as Captains.

Good thing that we have a seniority list.

FO

jet320
06-19-2008, 11:46 AM
If you are currently in training with CX, I hope that your position is incorrect.

Former KA pilots that are coming to CX will have a joining date of 01JUL08. Some of the former OASIS HK pilots managed to get in prior to the KA pilots. Some of the ex OASIS pilots were CX retirees....most of them (those that management "liked") were hired back as Captains. Some were also BA retirees, never having worked for CX and they too get to be hired as Captains.

FO

no wonder your title is 4everFO!!!!!!!!

4everFO
06-19-2008, 12:44 PM
no wonder your title is 4everFO!!!!!!!!

Yup, that is about the size of it.

FO

VQ2 Spanky
06-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the info.

Bubi352...my expeience....military navy, P-3 and King Airs. 5000 hours, 4850 multi..3400 PIC

Gunpig
06-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Spanky, did you ever teach King Airs down at Corpus?

go43andrti
06-20-2008, 12:59 AM

FO
Thank you for reminding me. That gave me a chance to get my Colts Avatar on there too.

OUT!

4everFO
06-20-2008, 04:46 AM
Thank you for reminding me. That gave me a chance to get my Colts Avatar on there too.

OUT!
Now worries, I am getting a little tired of watching my career prospects continue to slide over the horizon due to factors "within" the companies control.

FO

VQ2 Spanky
06-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Gunpig,

One in the same. I could have said VT31 Spanky. Who B U?

Spanky

cac632
06-20-2008, 11:14 AM
I put an app in for DEFO back in April, got the email on June 16 for an interview for SO. Can anyone clarify the career progression and payscale for a SO?

KODI3
06-20-2008, 03:35 PM
VQ2,

Put my app in Mar 1, rcvd e-mail with invite to May interview 2 weeks later. Passed 1st interview and received notice to expect 2nd interview 1st to 2nd quarter 09 for DEFO in HK. No internal recs. Similar background as you: 4700 hrs mil turboprop (T34, T44, C130).

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

SDJ

Gunpig
06-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Small world, I was one of your on-wings... check your PM

PCLCREW
06-21-2008, 11:47 AM
I submitted app in early May for DESO, still have heard nada... Maybe my time is too low... have about 3000tt.
I have buddies who got the DEFO position with like 2500tt.

4everFO
06-21-2008, 01:33 PM
I put an app in for DEFO back in April, got the email on June 16 for an interview for SO. Can anyone clarify the career progression and payscale for a SO?
Start as an SO, cruise pilot, on one of the long haul fleets (B747-400, A340, or the B777-300ER). Do a sim every 2 months in order to try and keep some flying skills up as well as prepare you for your upgrade to Junior FO. Check ride every six months to renew your aircraft type rating. A340 SOs are crossed qualified on the A330 after about a year with the company. A330 SOs are used on the shorter of the long haul flights (AKL, SYD, MEL, Middle East, etc.). SOs are all initially employed in HKG but after 1 year you can apply for a temp base anywhere in the world that your a/c flies to. As an expat in HKG you will get a housing allowance that is reduced for the first 2 years and then the full allowance going forward from there. I have talked to a couple of guys that have gone from SO to freighter FO and they have taken a pay cut to do so.

Current upgrade time is about 2 and 1/2 years. I have been with CX for just over 2 years and I would be in the top 10-20% on the SO list. You will have to do an assessment interview, and your training records reviewed by a board in order to get an upgrade course. After the upgrade you spend 2 years as a JFO and then do a line check and become an FO. Right now it is approx 8-10 years to pax captain, depending on the fleet. That will most likely increase when then increase the retirement age to 65, or if they keep employing direct entry captains.

FO

1900Driver
06-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Is there anything that stops CX from hiring direct entry captains? which of course slows down the upgrades for guys that start from the bottom.

4everFO
06-28-2008, 03:20 PM
The Conditions of Service (CoS) of every pilot on property prevents Direct Entry Captains, but this is Cathay and they will do whatever they want to do.