Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Air India

YAKflyer
06-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Does anybody here have any information about flying the B-777 for Air India with US basing? I am interested in QOL issues and what the cockpit atmosphere is like for DEC's. I've flown to BOM many times with Delta so I know what the good hotels are like in BOM and I'm expecting to stay in something similar. I don't know where Air india puts people up, therefore the question.

YAK

cactusmike
06-22-2008, 08:39 PM
I am interested, too, I hope someone comes up with the information. Are you a current 777 Captain with Delta?

YAKflyer
06-23-2008, 05:10 AM
Are you a current 777 Captain with Delta?

No......but I was flying it for Delta when I took the lump in '05. I'm in the application process now and need to be careful for what I wish.

KoruPilot
06-23-2008, 02:59 PM
PM Mayfly135 as he's still there on the B777. He's ex airforce, tankers, a great guy and will give you the full story.

If it was me I'd try Jet Airways first. We have a number of pilots there on LWOP and they quite like it.

YAKflyer
06-23-2008, 03:15 PM
I am interested in Jet Airways as well, but in talking to the representative crew leasing companies it sounded like Air india may have a better schedule. right now it seems like Air India is more eager to hire and that may tip the scale for me. The money seems to be the same so QOF issues are most important.

SrfNFly227
06-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Which leasing company currently has a post for Air India? I have started looking into them as well so I would appreciate any info you have gotten.

KoruPilot
06-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Rishworth has a direct AI contract. They prefer NZ or Aussie licenced pilots as the B777 training is completed at Air NZ in Auckland.

There was talk of no more FO's for India, but that has not materialized as of yet (to my knowledge).

Typhoonpilot
06-25-2008, 01:53 AM
Not cool pal :mad:

TP

KoruPilot
06-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Not sure what you're on about there mate . . .

If it's directed at me would you care to explain.

SrfNFly227
06-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Not sure what he meant there either, but I appreciate the info. I knew that they had listed for India before, but it doesn't look like there is anything on the site now. Thank you again.

MDT06
06-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Boeing statements regarding aviation in India

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Run Forest, Run! It ain't pretty. I think airlines will start to send expats home in the the very near future. They will either exercise their 30 day contract termination clause, or you will just fail your checkride, and make it convenient for the airline to get rid of you. Here is the article. The first sign of real trouble will be when hotel bills aren't paid and then your paycheck will "rubber biscuit."

After 2012, India demand will fall 50%, says BoeingManisha Singhal / Mumbai June 26, 2008, 0:09 ISTAircraft manufacturer Boeing is reducing its forecast of the Indian market by half beyond 2012 as a result of the slowdown in the aviation sector.

"This is not the time when airlines would talk about booking new orders. If we were talking about an order size of 60 earlier, it would be between 25-30 for the next ten years from 2012," said Dinesh Keskar, senior vice president (sales), Boeing.
Keskar also said that airlines in India would have to cut existing capacity by at least 10-12 per cent to tide over the current crisis.
"Airlines in the US are cutting capacity by 10 per cent approximately. In India, they will have to sooner or later cut at least 10-12 per cent capacity," he said.
However, Keskar also pointed out that there has been no cancellation or deferring of orders by domestic carriers until now, despite their plea that there is need to trim capacity.
"We are not getting any indications of deferment of deliveries from our buyers," Keskar said.
Boeing assisted low-cost carrier SpiceJet to sub-lease its deliveries to other buyers, thereby insulating itself from a possible deferment of five aircraft deliveries that the airline was scheduled to get over five months beginning this month. Boeing has an order book of 161 aircraft between Jet Airways, Air India and SpiceJet with deliveries scheduled till 2012.
Another aircraft manufacturer Airbus was non-committal and said, "When customers refine their fleet renewal plans, we work with them and adapt."
Keskar points out a development which could emerge from the current crisis. He says it will bring about a business-model differentiation.
"There was an artificial stimulation of demand, which was the result of irrational pricing by the airlines. Now, there will be an actual business model differentiation between a full-service carrier and no-frills carrier, as, it is being realised that there is no such thing as low-cost airlines," he said.

Something to think about..............

Typhoonpilot
06-26-2008, 03:04 AM
Not sure what you're on about there mate . . .

If it's directed at me would you care to explain.

Hi Koru:

It was directed at a post that has now been removed by the Administrator. Blatant advertising by a recruiter and not even germane to this thread. Sorry for the confusion.

Typhoonpilot

KoruPilot
06-26-2008, 01:25 PM
No worries . . . I thought someone had stolen your ID or something; didn't appear to be in character at all.

Caio

Hisflyer1
06-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Koru or Tyhpoon,

One of you guys were in Kelowna, as I recall reading an old post. Would you mind passing an email address so a BC guy can ask a couple of questions?
Thanks!

KoruPilot
06-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Yup, I was at Flightcraft for a while. They have another sister op at the moment as well, Flair, that has a couple of B727 freighters and a pax machine as I understand it. Freighters are OK, but I'm not sure how anyone is operatind an old non -200 powered 727 without bleeding money . . . but I digress.

I'd rather not post my email address here again if you don't mind. Get to the point of being able to PM, I think 10 posts, or post some hotmail address for yourself or something perhaps.

Enjoyed KFC by the way. I was on the B727 and the CV580/5800 and it was all a blast. Mike Coulthard, the CP, is an excellent guy.

YAKflyer
06-30-2008, 03:58 AM
I've been working through a new US based company, Economy Dynamics Ltd. There's not much out there about them, but i did speak on the phone last night to a retired UAL captain who is at Air India with them. The individual I spoke to told me he had dealt with Rishworth as well and liked Economy Dynamics much better. The guy who runs the new outfit is an Indian expat who seems to be very eager to please. They guy I spoke to has been working on this contract for about a year. I tried to Google Economy Dynamics and got nothing so they are way under the radar......(866) 689-9990

Hisflyer1
06-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks Koru,

Understand. I'm with a major in the states and have the 727 t shirt. I'm looking at overseas. Have that t shirt too, but trying to get ducks in a row again.. either that or go be a gentleman farmer in the OK and change gears. Might be a breath of fresh air.

Hisflyer1
06-30-2008, 07:02 PM
post #5 with the requisite 10 characters

Hisflyer1
06-30-2008, 07:03 PM
post #6 How am I doing so far?

Hisflyer1
06-30-2008, 07:03 PM
I'll do this on another board, sorry guys. #7

KoruPilot
06-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Make a few posts with pro and ex ALPA jabs and you'll wind up with the requisite number PDQ.

Hisflyer1
07-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Hey you're helping me out here. What a joke eh?

Hisflyer1
07-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Don't forget USAPA the "union" who's sole purpose is to overturn the NIC award and put US Airways "West" pilots on the street.

Gotta love the "brothers"

Hisflyer1
07-01-2008, 01:01 AM
For the foreign guys that may be unaware, US Airways is furloughing 175 from the "west" and 125 from the "east". That would leave around 950 on the east that were not on property at the time of the merger, while the west side is furloughing pilots who brought jobs to the merger.

Also of note, it is rumored that the east has upgraded 400 since the merger while the west has upgraded 39. And AWA was the acquiring carrier!

Not that I'd have any first hand knowledge of this of course:)

Talk about a "windfall" for the east. One foot on the banana peel and the other in the grave and they decertify the union and throw the AWA guys under the bus.

Lots of integrity. And yes, it did start with ALPA National, but has been consummated by USAPA.

That's ten posts I believe... and will check that PM. Cheers.

Hisflyer1
07-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Just checked, it's 25 posts now, which will put me at age 65. Koru, I'll catch you on a different thread and give you an email address at a later time. Thanks.

Typhoonpilot
07-01-2008, 03:48 AM
For the foreign guys that may be unaware, US Airways is furloughing 175 from the "west" and 125 from the "east". That would leave around 950 on the east that were not on property at the time of the merger, while the west side is furloughing pilots who brought jobs to the merger.

Also of note, it is rumored that the east has upgraded 400 since the merger while the west has upgraded 39. And AWA was the acquiring carrier!

Not that I'd have any first hand knowledge of this of course:)

Talk about a "windfall" for the east. One foot on the banana peel and the other in the grave and they decertify the union and throw the AWA guys under the bus.

Lots of integrity. And yes, it did start with ALPA National, but has been consummated by USAPA.

That's ten posts I believe... and will check that PM. Cheers.

I don't even know where top begin here because that kind of distorted perception is what has led to such an acrimonious seniority integration process. The East offered to have returning East pilots furloughed out of seniority for a period of one year post integration. The West chose to go down another path. They could have negotiated that to two years if they had wanted. If they had gone down that path then it would be 300 furloughs from the East and none from the West.

As in all these things the West was swinging for the fence without regard to their junior pilots. They left their junior pilots in the lurch and their junior pilots will now suffer as a result.

The East has upgraded more pilots than the West because the East has a far higher attrition rate. An attrition rate that the West wants to steal at the expense of 19+ year East pilots!!!!

The AWA MEC and AWA merger committee have thrown the AWA pilots under the bus. ALPA, in their failure to do anything useful to mediate the situation, has failed the AWA and AAA pilots. That failure has cost ALPA dearly.

....and believe me, the foreign guys are very aware of the AWA/AAA situation because many of us foreign guys are former USAir.

...Oh, and don't bring this kind of tripe here to the foreign section. I've kept this area clean of these arguments and pretty much stay off the majors board as a result of it. Cactus Mike and I have had debates on the major board, but if he asks legit questions here I'll answer/help without any acrimony. We can agree to disagree on some things but he's still a brother pilot and if he ( or you ) want to go to a foreign airline I don't hold a grudge.

Typhoonpilot

EYBusdriver
07-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Back to India, and Air India. Quite a number of the guys from my former airline( an airline with just under two hundred pilots) have left the subcontinent and have gone home while none who took jobs in the UAE have done the same. Granted the sample is small but the percentages are significant. I dread flying either into India or through Indian airspace, that place is chaos.

Hisflyer1
07-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Typhoon,

I will respect your differences. just trying to get the requisite 10 posts to PM Koru on this site... which I learned is now 25.

Just three things to remember:

1. One foot on the banana peel and the other in the grave for the east at time of merger. Days from liquidation.

2. West pilots that were within months of being upgraded now are looking at 20 yrs. in the right seat.

3. The arbitrator made his decision and USAPA is trying to trick it by decertifying ALPA and overturning the award. Most neutral observers see it for what it is, including the arbitrator and panel of neutrals.

I will say no more. Good luck to you.

MayFly135s
07-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Just left Air India after 6 months as a 777 FO and I'd be happy to answer questions or put guys in touch with expat CAPTs. The job really depends on two main things...

1. Capt or FO? As a Capt you are obviously more of a commodity and get more of a say in your schedule. Most CAPTs are on a 7 on/6 off (days) schedule versus FOs on 6 on/2 off (wks). As a CAPT most flights tend to be JFK-DEL/BOM and as a rule of thumb expect to be the cruise relief to a 40 something Indian Capt despite what experience you bring to the table. Expat FOs are also primarily used in the cruise relief position. Also there must be an Indian on the crew so any 2 man operations won't be with another expat.

2. Do you live in/near an Air India destination (JKF, ORD, LHR, BHX)? Air India only pays to get you from one of their destinations to the plane, so if you live off line the commute is on your own dime/time. Most of the guys that are happy live in the NYC/BOS/DC area so when they land they are home.

Obviously there are a lot of other cultural and company issues that one must consider, but I'll let you shoot with specific questions first.

KoruPilot
07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Mayfly, so you're all finished eh. Drop me a line when you get home and get the chance, or let me know and I'll call you.

Is your conversion training going to be close to home or in the EU?

Ciao Mate