Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Any Cathay SO's out there???

Flyboy8784
06-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Searchedbut the few threads out there were really really old....anybody got any gouge SPECIFICALLY on the SO position?

Ive decided im young enough and have nothing to hold me back....living in Hong Kong for 2 years would be pretty freakin cool....anyway....any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Puckhead
06-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Oh man I hope someone responds, I am right with ya flyboy! Very young and could have the time needed in the next year or two. Hope someone responds!

Flyboy8784
06-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Unfortunatley dude I think its just the 2 of us on here bro....I dunno about you but i couldnt find any Interview stuff for the SO....I cant imagine its the same interview as the First Officer interview. U find anything??

KoruPilot
06-28-2008, 05:37 PM
A couple of buddies have recently gone there; one has started and the other has just been accepted. Both are SO's. One other is a DEFO on the A330 out of Oz. I'll ask him when I speak with him next if he knows of any difference between the interviews.

I have sent them emails so hopefully they get back to me in shortish order.

Flyboy8784
06-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Seriously man...thanks soo much...any info u can get please post or PM me...thanks alot!

stoki
06-28-2008, 06:20 PM
not to hijack here, but what is the deal with this SO thing? What do you really do? On what equipment? How long is upgrade to FO? Also when you do upgrade, do you upgrade on the same equipment you were SO on? Or do they put you on a smaller type? I thought about it before, but was never really sure of the details, or even looked into it too much... just kinda had the regional job here so.. any answers would be cool.

Also, if you guys cant find too much info here, pprune is great for foreign stuff.

jsfBoat
06-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Koru, if you get the info, could you also PM me the info as well. That's where I'd like to end up, some one else in my flight school wants to go there as well. I'd be nice to have some goals to work towards.

Puckhead
06-28-2008, 06:45 PM
hey koru I would definently appreciate a Pm with the info too! Flyboy the only information I have found is from pprune or aviationinterviews.com. It has a lot of information but you can never have enough in my book. How many hours you have flyboy? Feel free to pm me with that stuff Im just curious how I will match up by the begining of the year.

ryguy
06-28-2008, 07:14 PM
The interview is basically the same except for one item in the sim. No flying except the sim for SO and maybe in cruise. Good job with lots of time off....Good luck.

KoruPilot
06-28-2008, 10:01 PM
My buddy tells me that he has about 30MB of stuff . . . offered to send a disk. Not sure that would help anybody. He did say that not all of the information he got his hands on was factual, but that it was a good base to study from. Basically, he studied everything he could get. I'll see what the best way to get it out there is.

To answer an SO question from above, another good friend of mine just went to the B777 after about three and a half years on the B744 as an SO. He was bypassed in that time, but was put on bypass pay. Apparently the fleet change was a real breath of fresh air as well.

Sorry for the lack of help at this time; I'll get on it and perhaps someone from CX could chime in.

Puckhead
06-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Hey koru thanks again! Your one of the guys who really makes a site like this good. Appreciate everything and anything.

Flyboy8784
06-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Hey puckhead....sry for not answering...im in the middle of a trip...i got just shy of 1500 hrs, about 300 is prop, the rest is all jet...i also have about 1500 hrs in a Level D sim....(used to work at FlightSafety) on the Lear 60....I dunno man it says experience with age...i think at my age...my experience level is above what alot of guys have.

Any other info you guys have would be great. This is it for me...if i get this job im never flying for anyone else. I think its a great place to be.

its been my experience that the foreign carriers actually treat us the way we should be treated.

iflylow
06-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Competitive time from North America for SOs is over 3000 hours. Many recent SOs had close to 1000 PIC 121 time as well. Don't get too excited-It's an employer's market right now for these expat airlines...

ryguy
06-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Yoo hoo! Am I posting in my own world over here? :)

The avatar isn't just a pretty picture ;)

Guys, not sure if you saw one of my previous posts but I set up an email addy to get some of that info out there. It is [email protected] , send me an email and I will give you the notes.

Get ready to study some stuff you may not have seen. For example, hydroplaning is a subject that may come up. It isn't enough to just know what it is. They will ask what specific speed it will be most likely to happen. The formula for spinning wheels is 9 X square root of tire pressure. For a locked wheel it is 7.7 X square root of tire pressure.

Get ready because the notes are full of these little gems. Don't be too worried though, once you are through the interview it is just like anywhere else really. They just want to see if you will jump through the hoops. Play the game and you are in.

Good luck!

KoruPilot
06-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Cudos ryguy. Good to see guy's helping out the lads. Cheers.

Tweet46
07-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Good to see you posting again Koru. How are things?

ryguy
07-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Cudos ryguy. Good to see guy's helping out the lads. Cheers.

Thanks KoruPilot, a lot of people helped me so I'm just passing it along. I've had that email addy for over a year and it has been posted on APC several times. There have been 163 satisfied note seekers so far and 13 added last night after this post :)

Now, for everyone that emailed me. I'll get to your emails as soon as I can. I got a lot of them so it will take me some time to burn through them all, I just ask for your patience and for you to forward them to your friends that want them.

KoruPilot
07-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Hey Tweet. Everything is all good. P's on her way to LHR. I'm doing PVG tomorrow and will get my English test, of all thing's, out of the way. Start is August 1st. Looking forward to poling the thing again.

How's the fam?

MayFly135s
07-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Spoke with a buddy of mine who recently did a SO interview and the primary difference between the DEFO/SO was the SIM profile. HR/Technical interviews were similar with the SO interview perhaps being slightly more Tech oriented (always depends on the interview team).

The internet gouge provides a good background onto the type of technical questions CX likes to ask. Handling the Big Jets also seems to be the CX Bible so if you can get your hands on a copy it couldn't hurt.

742drvr
07-02-2008, 05:16 AM
Thanks KoruPilot, a lot of people helped me so I'm just passing it along. I've had that email addy for over a year and it has been posted on APC several times. There have been 163 satisfied note seekers so far and 13 added last night after this post :)

Now, for everyone that emailed me. I'll get to your emails as soon as I can. I got a lot of them so it will take me some time to burn through them all, I just ask for your patience and for you to forward them to your friends that want them.

Thanks Guy for the info! I appreciate you taking the time to do this stuff for everyone. See you at the Polar Bar:D

SoCalGuy
07-02-2008, 06:07 AM

Much appreciated on the info......best of luck over at CX!:D

SC

Flyboy8784
07-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Much appreciated on the info......best of luck over at CX!:D

SC

Yeah, I second that!...thanks soo much!!

Stella
07-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Ryguy,
I hope I can buy you a beer sometime soon on a layover somewhere. Thanks for all of the information. Pilots helping pilots! You definitely have made that phrase happen for several of us. Best of Luck. KU.

ryguy
07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks guys, I'm just passing it along.

Polar Bar it is then!

jsfBoat
07-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the info, and I'm sure that the guy at my flight school will thank you as well if he could. We both want to end up there.

Sike
07-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Some of you guys may want to brush up on your grammar before applying...

ryguy
07-02-2008, 10:52 PM

Now Sike, don't go all PPRuNe on us :)

You do bring up a very valid point though. I know it is the internet and these messages are just emails to a guy on a message board. However, some of them are a little too relaxed. First point, any professional communication needs to have complete words and not text message abbreviations. While I am a laid back guy, I get a kick out of some of the emails I get. Some are literally, "hey dude, can I get those notes frm u, thx." Notice the lack of any capitalization or sentence structure.

I give pretty much anyone the benefit of the doubt that you do not write anything to the company in that manner. However, now may be a good time to brush up on the professional writing techniques.

As always though I will still get the notes out to those who want them. May as well dole out the professional writing advice as well. I received a few more requests tonight and will get to them as soon as I can.

duvie
07-07-2008, 12:36 PM

That is hilarious and so incredibly true. I really do wonder if some of the guys on here speak as eloquently as they write :o

Great thread. I'm currently looking into the SO position.

FWIW a friend of mine was just offered the SO position with around 3000 TT, 2500 turbine, 800 PIC Turbine in a Saab 340 and 0 Jet time.

CaptainCarl
07-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Wouldn't mind working for CX for a good long while, however, I secretly want to retire at SWA.

Oops, did I say that out loud :D

ONGLIDE
07-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I always want to fly for those guys

MidNightRider
07-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Disregard - moved question to seperate post

PCLCREW
07-09-2008, 08:07 AM
I sent my app in for the DESO position in April with about 2800tt and 1200 Turbine, no 121 PIC... and I havnt heard a thing.. I also have about 2000 hours of FE time on the 747-200 I thought that might help... but I guess not. Really sucks that you need 3000+ and 1000 121 PIC to get as job as a radio operator for 2 to 3 years... I thought they would take regional FO's. Oh well back to the drawing board.

druglord
07-09-2008, 09:38 AM
they're currently inundated with people. lots of ex-oasis guys already living in HK, lots of dragon air guys. training dept is overloaded. they'll get to you eventually

742drvr
07-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey CXGuy, you around ANC? Stopped by the Polar Bar, nobody around.

ryguy
07-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Nope, I'll be there on Monday though. Will you be around? Polar Bar can be hit or miss sometimes.

742drvr
07-19-2008, 04:54 AM
Nope, I'll be there on Monday though. Will you be around? Polar Bar can be hit or miss sometimes.

Headed to ICN today, back in ANC Tuesday afternoon.

Badgeman
07-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Handling the Big Jets also seems to be the CX Bible so if you can get your hands on a copy it couldn't hurt.
Did you mean Flying the Big Jets by Stanley Stuart, ex-BA captian?

Badgeman
07-22-2008, 05:55 PM
How old are you?I sent my app in for the DESO position in April with about 2800tt and 1200 Turbine, no 121 PIC... and I havnt heard a thing.. I also have about 2000 hours of FE time on the 747-200 I thought that might help... but I guess not. Really sucks that you need 3000+ and 1000 121 PIC to get as job as a radio operator for 2 to 3 years... I thought they would take regional FO's. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Badgeman
07-22-2008, 06:17 PM
The Cathay website says Experience commensurate to Age. It would be interesting to know what they consider "commensurate".

Here's my scenario: Age 39. Experience 1000TT SEL/Prop, 50 MEL/Prop. CFI.

themotleyfool
07-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Duvie your friend must be very lucky it is a great company. Hope he knows that.

cheers

MayFly135s
07-23-2008, 03:03 AM
...its Handling The Big Jets by D.P. Davies the other book is the red headed step child to the CX Bible. Hope that helps and happy reading!

AlohaFlyer
07-23-2008, 09:49 AM
I was offered a CX DESO interview on Sept 3rd in SFO. I'd like to learn more about the position, life style, pay, benefits, union, living in HK etc... Anyone got any current info?

Thanks for your help,

Ryan

PCLCREW
07-23-2008, 02:15 PM
How old are you?

Im 31...and FYI still no word... but I also got an email from CX saying that all interviews are on hold until early 2009???? Just what they sent. I didnt keep a copy of it otherwise I would have attached it.

Badgeman
07-26-2008, 10:23 PM
...its Handling The Big Jets by D.P. Davies the other book is the red headed step child to the CX Bible. Hope that helps and happy reading!I was wondering. Flying the Big Jets was the first aviation book I ever read. Okay, Handling the Big Jets. Got it. Or at least WILL get it.

Badgeman
07-26-2008, 10:27 PM
That's only 5 months away. I'm sending in my app. months before I actually have the time required. Im 31...and FYI still no word... but I also got an email from CX saying that all interviews are on hold until early 2009???? Just what they sent. I didnt keep a copy of it otherwise I would have attached it.

ECRJ222
08-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Do you guys think 1300 hrs TT and about 100 hours ERJ145SIC time would get me:D a chance to get in the SO position?

AlohaFlyer
08-25-2008, 11:20 PM
I got an offer for an SO position.. I have 2700 TT, 500 Jet PIC.

I turned it down in hopes of an FO position in a few months when I get 3000 TT.

marcal
08-26-2008, 02:47 AM
I got an offer for an SO position.. I have 2700 TT, 500 Jet PIC.

I turned it down in hopes of an FO position in a few months when I get 3000 TT.

Well that was silly.....after a year as SO you can apply for transfer to the FO NAM freight fleet. It will take you just as long now, and you've once turned them down.....can't imagine that looks good.

Sioux115
08-26-2008, 08:45 AM
I think DEFO for NA has become extremely competitive. Most the guys in my SO interview group had 4,000TT and I think I was the only one without turbine PIC. Good luck.

Cheyenne Driver
08-26-2008, 12:40 PM
What are the competitive flight time at CX? What are they looking for as far as total, turbine and jet hours?

FO times??
SO times??

Thanks.

Sioux115
08-26-2008, 02:39 PM
I had 4100tt and 2700 jet sic when I interviewed for SO.

Cheyenne Driver
08-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Sioux, How long ago do you apply ?
Did you apply for FO or SO position?? I asume SO because that's what you interviewed for...
How long ago did you interview?
What type of prep. did you do prior to interview?

Im am searching a lot of jobs right now, CX seems like one of the great companies.
PM me if you'd like.