Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : EK Hold Pools

SKMarz
07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I have been reading on prune that the most recent folks who passed the interview have been place in a pool rather than given a training date. Two theories have been mentioned 1)Training spots fully booked 2) EK might be slowing down or stopping recruitment all together..........

Does anyone have further insight?

Typhoonpilot
07-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I have been reading on prune that the most recent folks who passed the interview have been place in a pool rather than given a training date. Two theories have been mentioned 1)Training spots fully booked 2) EK might be slowing down or stopping recruitment all together..........

Does anyone have further insight?

Some of the B777s have been delayed coming due to supply problems at Boeing. That is one factor.

It is possible that hiring numbers will be altered from the previous plan. Rumor of parking the A340-500 fleet as it's an uneconomical aircraft and even at 100% load factor it isn't profitable.

Also possible a decision was made to try to get as many of the out of work pilots into a pool to take advantage of the sudden glut of pilots on the street. Up until a few months ago they were struggling to find enough applicants. All of a sudden they've got a plethora of them and it's certainly a good idea to grab people when they need a job, even if you then tell them it won't be for 6 months.

Just my opinions.

Typhoonpilot

jtmshl
07-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Pardon my ignorance, who is EK?

SKMarz
07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Emirates....

sequ
07-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Hello,

Iīve been a bit hesitant about posting any questions here, but reading the latest apparent news of a hiring slow down, I guess I may just ask those of you here that may know or might clarify my position.

I updated my application in January and recieved a call from Recruitment in mid april, verifying information about my education and professional experience. A few of my friends around and in particular, those who have been employed by Emirates in the past believe that my application is in some kind of shortlist.

Would those of you here in Emirates agree? If such, when do you think I would likely be called for an interview?

I realise that the whole hiring scenario has changed over the past few months, but also know that the growth ambitions of the company are very, very aggressive.

Would love to read some comments.

Thanks in advance,

SEQU

Badgeman
07-06-2008, 05:26 PM
You can always just google whatever the initials are with the word "airline" after it and you'll find the airline it stands for in the first or second listing. Pardon my ignorance, who is EK?

Badgeman
07-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Seeing that Airbus keeps announcing delays on the delivery of the A340, and EK being the largest buyer (40 units) of the plane, wouldn't this have an impact on their hiring? I think it would.

Philly Boy
07-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Seeing that Airbus keeps announcing delays on the delivery of the A340, and EK being the largest buyer (40 units) of the plane, wouldn't this have an impact on their hiring? I think it would.

You mean the 380? ;)

The first five A-380's will be here on schedule. If there is a hiring slow down, it probably wouldn't happen until end of this year or beginning of 2009.

It's been explained to us that classes are full into October and the hiring department has enough qualified applicants on file to run the selection process for the rest of the year. If you are in the shortlist you probably will still get a call to come to Dubai. When?.......who knows?

Skyone
07-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Hello,

Iīve been a bit hesitant about posting any questions here, but reading the latest apparent news of a hiring slow down, I guess I may just ask those of you here that may know or might clarify my position.

I updated my application in January and recieved a call from Recruitment in mid april, verifying information about my education and professional experience. A few of my friends around and in particular, those who have been employed by Emirates in the past believe that my application is in some kind of shortlist.

Would those of you here in Emirates agree? If such, when do you think I would likely be called for an interview?

I realise that the whole hiring scenario has changed over the past few months, but also know that the growth ambitions of the company are very, very aggressive.

Would love to read some comments.

Thanks in advance,

SEQU

Philly boy has it close to the mark. If you have an email contact in HR, it wouldn't hurt to email that person and see what's up. Don't expect a DEC call if you don't have some sort of training background on international wide body "glass".

Kenny
07-08-2008, 08:22 AM
TP, Skyone and Philly Boy,

I don't suppose you guys have any idea when someone who received the "Congrats" email at the end June but doesn't have a class date, might expect to get one??

I know it's a bit like asking how long a piece of string is but I'm just curious what you think.

Cheers.

sequ
07-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I donīt have any contact in HR. The call I got was from a gentleman who explained that he was just making the verification calls temporarily.

I donīt have the required hours for a DEC position and am quite aware of it. I donīt mind going as an F.O. and know the implications in terms of upgrade time and such. The only thing that still has me a bit hesitant is the fact that I think around the whole world there is a different treatment towards F.O.īs than towards Captains, which might affect the quality of life for my family. I upgraded about two years ago and have about 1,600 in command widebody. I donīt think that I can afford to wait the year and a half or so until I have the required hours to apply for a DEC position, as the world pilot market apparently will tank shortly. Furthermore, I donīt have any problems flying the right seat. Itīs all learning anyway and I have the benefit of being still relatively young, so I can afford some years flying as an F.O. again.

Perhaps Iīm wrong, but I think that I am probably right about the job market, so if I get an invitation for an interview, I think we will take it.

Is there any way to find out if I am on some shortlist?

Once again, thanks for the replies.

Saludos,

SEQU

Badgeman
07-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Yes, yes. The 380. It must have been a busy day when I posted. :confused::)You mean the 380? ;)

The first five A-380's will be here on schedule. If there is a hiring slow down, it probably wouldn't happen until end of this year or beginning of 2009.

It's been explained to us that classes are full into October and the hiring department has enough qualified applicants on file to run the selection process for the rest of the year. If you are in the shortlist you probably will still get a call to come to Dubai. When?.......who knows?