Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : PRIA and Foreign flying.

AirWillie
07-20-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm interviewing in Europe for an MD80 FO position in a few weeks. I'm young so I thought I'd camp out there(if hired) for a few years and come back over here when things become a little better. My question is about my records under pria and how flying abroad will affect my record when I come back here in the states. Can I even fly abroad and come back to fly here or are the certain penalities? I know fedex requires you to have been living in the U.S at least the previous 5 years before applying.

BigToe
07-21-2008, 06:15 AM
Good question. Hopefully someone will respond.

AirWillie
07-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Yep. Hopefully.

jet320
07-25-2008, 02:32 PM
I have flown all my life outside of the USA, and I had no problems, I been called by Polar, ABX, and AAI. Again, No problems!!

captjns
07-25-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm interviewing in Europe for an MD80 FO position in a few weeks. I'm young so I thought I'd camp out there(if hired) for a few years and come back over here when things become a little better. My question is about my records under pria and how flying abroad will affect my record when I come back here in the states. Can I even fly abroad and come back to fly here or are the certain penalities? I know fedex requires you to have been living in the U.S at least the previous 5 years before applying.

As you know foreign carriers don’t need to comply with PRIA

Federal Aviation Administration - Pilot Records Improvement Act of 1996 (PRIA) (http://www.faa.gov/pilots/lic_cert/pria/)

Contact the gentleman, indicated on the web site that is from the FAA, for further information about the subject.

With that being said you are going to be at the mercy of the carrier you fly for out of the US… this includes airlines in Canada and Mexico too. With that being said, you need to make copies of all of your training records and retain them. As these are not certified copies directly from the former airline at least it is a start to get the ball rolling when you start applying with US carriers.

You need to talk to both the contracting company, and foreign airline you are If flying for regarding sending off information when the time comes. You may be charged a nominal fee, since you would be a contracting pilot rather than a direct employee of the airline.

Good luck… I know you’ll enjoy the experience flying abroad… good people and good airplanes, most of all… great experience you’ll never forget.