Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

130drvr
07-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Want to see if anyone has had any experience, good or bad, with Trans State Airlines dba United Express. APC shows them as a CASS participant and I need to jumpseat next month to Denver.

Thanks

jumppilot
07-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Not going to find much help in the majors forum. Head to the regional forum, and you'll get what you need.

130drvr
07-22-2008, 04:19 PM
So no one flying for a major jumpseats on a regional, really?

⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
07-22-2008, 04:36 PM
I have flown in TSA but on the American Connection side. Very helpful and friendly crews...

Too Tall
07-22-2008, 04:38 PM
For some reason they only take one off line jump seater, even if the plane is wide open so watch out. I have seen a guy get denied by the gate agents because he was the second to check in, thankfully I was first.

130drvr
07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Being my first time jumpseating, what is a recommended showtime prior to departure? I am flying Sat AM.

viper548
07-22-2008, 05:38 PM
About 45 min prior should be plenty. Gate agents are rarely there before that anyways. I've been on TSA 3 times, no problems at all

07-22-2008, 06:26 PM
For some reason they only take one off line jump seater, even if the plane is wide open so watch out. I have seen a guy get denied by the gate agents because he was the second to check in, thankfully I was first.

Per our Management, we are only allowed 2 ACM's one(or 2 if space is available) in the cabin, and 1 in the JS.

Now as far as the gate agent denying, it is not their place to do so; however, they take it upon them selves to do just that. Call it a power grab or something else, but they do tend to over step their bounds at times.

thndr8
07-22-2008, 07:07 PM
I just rode them into ORD. No problems. Nice guys. Rode up front.

Dash8Pilot
07-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Just rode them a few days ago from MKE to DEN. Had no problems and everyone was great.

Be aware, the ERJ jumpseat qualifies as torture under the Geneva Convention. It's also got a lot of wind noise, so either wear the spare headset or bring your own ear plugs.

rorwizard
07-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Be aware, the ERJ jumpseat qualifies as torture under the Geneva Convention

Agreed.

One of my buddies flies for them and I jumpseated with him, so of course when he was flying it was pure horror (hi ben), but otherwise it was a good deal... make sure you bring your passport they'll ask for it even if your picture shows up in cass.

ExperimentalAB
07-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Ear plugs! Ear plugs! Seriously those Brasilia-Jets are *@#$*^!%& loud!

AirWillie
07-22-2008, 09:24 PM
It'll be fine however you may have to sit up front because those DEN routes are usually pretty full. As far as the jumpseat it's not too bad, there is a 3rd headset, I recommended you use it.

ANPBird
07-22-2008, 10:20 PM
I have flown on them a few times out of Den and have no problems. Crews were great and they always did what they could to get me on. Thanks to all you TSA guys for the ride!

dojetdriver
07-22-2008, 10:32 PM

PLENTY of guys at the majors JS on the regionals. Also, PLENTY of them couldn't tell you the name of the regional that feeds for their carrier.

This happened more than one time. While JS'ing on the mainline carrier home, I say high to the crew, introduce myself, and ask permission to ride JS home. One of the guys says "who you with" I tell him. "Who's that?" I say, "see that CRJ/J41/J32 out the window? It's that company" "Oh, didn't know that. I commute on you guys all the time".

Ear plugs! Ear plugs! Seriously those Brasilia-Jets are *@#$*^!%& loud!

It's not called the WSCOD for nothing you know.

TheOak
07-22-2008, 10:39 PM
if you can, let us know you are trying to do so.
if we walk by or insist agent relay message.

Regardless of the reason, gate agents often don't let us know about anyone wanting a ride. Last week only way we knew was by seeing the guy flag us down through the terminal's tinted windows. i guess that last resort works too

130drvr
07-23-2008, 05:08 AM
anybody out there do the LIT-DEN run, doing it SAT AM in 2 weeks

Also, can you list ahead of time, if so can someone throw out the #, thanks

freezingflyboy
07-23-2008, 06:00 AM
anybody out there do the LIT-DEN run, doing it SAT AM in 2 weeks

Also, can you list ahead of time, if so can someone throw out the #, thanks

Me thinks your jumpseat coordinator at your airline is a better source for this information than a bunch of message board yahoos.

Pilotpip
07-23-2008, 06:19 AM
TSA's rule for two jumpseaters has been long standing. However, most captains will fill the seats up if their available.

bryris
07-23-2008, 06:48 AM
C'mon. I fly for them and you are welcome.

Going to DEN, we might be weight restricted, but that is all.

flynavyj
07-23-2008, 11:20 AM
The weight restrictions coming out of DEN can be ridiculous in the summertime, think i was performance limited to 44k lbs last time i went out of there....And yes, rule is for 2, unlimited on pass riders i believe...so if there's more than two, i'd just bet that the rest are riding on passes....c'mon aboard, we'll be happy to have you.

130drvr
07-23-2008, 05:54 PM
The weight restrictions coming out of DEN can be ridiculous in the summertime, think i was performance limited to 44k lbs last time i went out of there....And yes, rule is for 2, unlimited on pass riders i believe...so if there's more than two, i'd just bet that the rest are riding on passes....c'mon aboard, we'll be happy to have you.

In your experience, is there a rule of thumb for how many open seats there have to be to meet say a 44K wt restriction? I am seeing 6 open seats Sat AM, but a ton(18) on Fri PM as a backup flight.

reevesofskyking
07-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Now I am not a CA, but it seems like a few thunderstorms with extra gas and starting around 90 degrees seems to be from my experince where the restritions start showing their ugly head. My personal max restriction I have seen coming out of denver is 5 to 7 people bumped.

I am not a good source on this issue though, I avoid den like the plague, maybe out there two or three times each season.

130drvr, just stay on the thread, there are some other ca's on here that lurk the board quite often, and I would be surprised if they did not give you better info.

Reeves

130drvr
07-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Anyone know if there is a JS listing number and if so what it is?

Pilotpip
07-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Just list on UA. If you fly for a codeshare you can call the employee non-rev line.

STILL GROUNDED
07-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Being my first time jumpseating, what is a recommended showtime prior to departure? I am flying Sat AM.

Try to list online or over the phone before you go. A day or two prior would be best. Maybe someone here who knows could Private Message you the best way to do this. I don't think its a good idea to post this method in a public forum.

130drvr
08-05-2008, 09:44 AM
great experience jumpseating with TSA and Compass. Awesome folks.