Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : NAS Air, Saudi Arabia

roger
08-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Does anyone fly for NAS Air in Saudi Arabia, possibly flying the E190? I am trying to find out what a job flying for them would be like. Has anyone worked out of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia before?

jet320
08-15-2008, 12:32 AM
I work close by I am hearing they are looking for Embraer Cap quickly!!! NO Spirits allowed in Saudia.

eyeinthesky
08-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Any quality of life info? They say housing is 3 star international hotel, Apartment or Expate compund. Anyone have any expierence in SA?

roger
08-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Rep said pilots have been living in hotels and find out their work schedule the night before. I asked if I could talk with someone over there via email and rep said he hasn't had anyone concerned with quality of life over there...I've heard alot of negativity and risk when it comes to flying in Saudi Arabia

Bill Lumberg
08-24-2008, 07:33 AM
I wouldn't accept anything until I spoke with several current employees (and maybe a few past employees). Get all of the pros and cons. The rep probably has a commission waiting depending upon whether you say yes or no. That's a big move and a huge lifestyle change - verify everything!

DigDug
08-24-2008, 11:16 AM
I got an update from a guy there a short time and he suggested "its not worth it". He also described chaos and bickering.

jet320
08-25-2008, 01:07 AM
I got an update from a guy there a short time and he suggested "its not worth it". He also described chaos and bickering.

Can you please elaborate on Chaos and bickering!!!!!!

Sorry, but most middle east, Emirates not included, companies don't like to hire Americans because they complain too much.

LR45DRIVER
08-25-2008, 08:46 AM

Sorry, but most middle east, Emirates not included, companies don't like to hire Americans because they complain too much.

No. Americans just expect people to be competent and don't take well to being mistreated and places being run by bozos and con artists. If that is complaining, then I guess we do.

Bill Lumberg
08-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Don't do it. Emirates would be the only one I would consider in the region if I were super-desperate (and if I met their hiring criteria). There are plenty of corp and fractional opportunities out there if the airlines ain't working for you. Saudi Arabia certainly does not sound like a fun place to be (unlike Dubai).

DigDug
08-25-2008, 09:56 AM

I'm curious, do you place Americans ahead of western Europeans on your complaint-o-meter? I imagine that any nation with an organized, professional, informed, and self-respecting pilot group would export pilots capable of some well targeted criticisms. In my experience, your all around 'complainers' come proportionally from every population, but the most valuable criticisms for conducting professional and safe aviation will come from the most professional (and safe) groups. I expect that the least competent airline managements are the most frustrated with the more experienced pilots from the most advanced and informed aviation nations. Simply and obviously, the U.S. and western europe export the best, and with 25% of global aviation U.S. based, perhaps U.S. pilots win your survey out of sheer numbers.

As for chaos and bickering at NAS, I was specifically reflecting upon input I received from the Airbus operation. It sounded like an operation distracted and bogged down with a 'free for all' struggle for position, power, recognition, and the like.

170Homie
08-26-2008, 06:55 AM
I recently got an offer from them. Not a bad deal on paper if you ask me. Where else in the States at least are you gonna get $8500/mth tax free 1st year right seat in an RJ. Yeah theres bul$#!t at every company but with a 6 week on 3 week off rotation, I can drink at home when i'm off (they positive space you home every 6 weeks)and not have to always wonder if my number is gonna be called for furlough as the case now. I married, (wife will stay at home so we can have dual income) have no kids, and still relatively young. This may be an opportunity to say bye bye to ALL of my debt (loans, cards etc) It's only a 12mth contract extendable, so if I don't like it, i'll leave with 4 1/2 times what I make here.

el polloloco
08-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Where can I find more info on nas

el polloloco
08-26-2008, 03:06 PM
how was their interview process and how long did it take them to call you fro the time so place your application in thank you.

Bill Lumberg
08-26-2008, 06:40 PM
I recently got an offer from them. Not a bad deal on paper if you ask me. Where else in the States at least are you gonna get $8500/mth tax free 1st year right seat in an RJ. Yeah theres bul$#!t at every company but with a 6 week on 3 week off rotation, I can drink at home when i'm off (they positive space you home every 6 weeks)and not have to always wonder if my number is gonna be called for furlough as the case now. I married, (wife will stay at home so we can have dual income) have no kids, and still relatively young. This may be an opportunity to say bye bye to ALL of my debt (loans, cards etc) It's only a 12mth contract extendable, so if I don't like it, i'll leave with 4 1/2 times what I make here.

Sounds great. With that extra cash you can buy a real nice kevlar flack jacket and wear it every day you are there! Don't wear a Yankees baseball cap in those open markets.

On the plus side, it should be interesting to fly around the Middle East and get to know that region.

DoubtingThomas
08-27-2008, 09:57 AM

Hey 170Homie I have a question... how did you get an interview?

I have been bugging the heck out of at least two different contract agencies and the airline itself and cannot manage to get a response from anyone!

I am rated in the ERJ-170 as PIC and so am a little bit curious as to how you got a hold of them... I thought they wanted guys like me?

globochem
08-29-2008, 08:18 AM
I am rated in the ERJ-170 as PIC and so am a little bit curious as to how you got a hold of them... I thought they wanted guys like me?

Same here....170/190 type and 1700 hours PIC in type, but cannot seem to get a look. Maybe they suspect me of being an infidel.......

170Homie
08-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Hmm..Surprised they havent called you guys. I applied directly to NAS and was hired by Fahed Al Khezzi the HR guy there. Didn't have much of an interview. Simple stuff really. They just cared that I had at least 500 on type. If you can't get through with them directly, try Storm Aviation, think they handle their accounts. Not sure If I can recieve/send PM's but If you do, I can send you everything (copy of contract $, visa, etc.) Also, I have talked to a couple of guys out there who said life in Saudi sucks but when their off, they go where it doesn't suck (Dubai, Amman, London)

PS: My TT is 1700 650 on type 0 PIC

10right
09-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Hey 170Homie: I need your help! Are you in saudi now? Do they have jump seat privileges in Saudi Arabia? Did they actually tell you they were gonna positive space you back to the States every 6 weeks? Was that in your contract? Do you live in Riyadh? How are you being treated? How is the training? How many hours a month are you expecting to fly? Any other info greatly appreciated. I need to know soon so I can figure out if changing course would be a good idea. Thanks!

spud900
09-17-2008, 09:39 AM
170Homie: can U please sent me a copy of the info from NAS Air.

Thanks.
I am realy interested...

Spaceman Spliff
09-17-2008, 11:17 AM

Yes...we "ugly Americans" ought to shut up in take it in the a$$. That's what we should do.

10right
09-17-2008, 03:41 PM
:confused:

jet320
09-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Yes...we "ugly Americans" ought to shut up in take it in the a$$. That's what we should do.

With all the furloughs going on in the US. Lead, follow or as you put it "we "ugly Americans" ought to shut up in take it in the a$$"

That is what I am doing and earning a lot of a$$

exwaterski
09-18-2008, 06:43 AM
I think we need to get one thing clear unless you are current and qualified in the A320/E190 with a MINIMUM of 500 hours in type they will not even talk to you.

AirWillie
09-18-2008, 05:13 PM
IWhere else in the States at least are you gonna get $8500/mth tax free 1st year right seat in an RJ. Yeah theres bul$#!t at every company but with a 6 week on 3 week off rotation,.

Is that 8500 x 6 or x 12?

uspilot
01-28-2009, 09:59 AM
8500 X 12 for FO
10,500 X12 for Capt
12,500 X12 for Instructor's

35 on 31 off or
6 weeks on 3 weeks off

fatbus
01-28-2009, 09:06 PM
If the pay is the same for both rotations (35/31 or 6/3) why would guys choose the 6/3?

atpcliff
01-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Hi!

Wearing a flak jacket in Saudi?

I think you have them confused with a relatively free country, like the US.

The Saudi gov't is much more similiar to a fascist gov't like Italy in WWII or Stalin's Soviet Union. The Saudis monitor and control EVERY aspect of life there-the upside is the chance of getting mugged, assaulted or killed is almost 0. That is why 911 happened here, and why there have been basically no successfull terrorist attacks in Saudi.

cliff
GRB

exwaterski
01-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi!

Wearing a flak jacket in Saudi?

I think you have them confused with a relatively free country, like the US.

The Saudi gov't is much more similiar to a fascist gov't like Italy in WWII or Stalin's Soviet Union. The Saudis monitor and control EVERY aspect of life there-the upside is the chance of getting mugged, assaulted or killed is almost 0. That is why 911 happened here, and why there have been basically no successfull terrorist attacks in Saudi.

cliff
GRB

Are you kidding me?

Terrorism in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_insurgency_in_Saudi_Arabia)

exwaterski
01-29-2009, 05:01 PM
If the pay is the same for both rotations (35/31 or 6/3) why would guys choose the 6/3?

From what I was told 35/31 is no longer available. They are honoring the contracts for people already there but all newcomers get 6/3.

3wire
01-29-2009, 05:20 PM
This is an interesting thread... I wonder how many people on this thread have been to Saudi? Or Bahrain? Or the UAE (Where Dubai is)? Or Kuwait? Or Qatar? Or Yemen?

Saudi is NOT Iran and it is also not the UAE or Bahrain. Of the GCC, the UAE and Bahrain are considered the most "open" countries with Qatar a close third. Saudi fell off the progressive bus sometime around Lawrence of Arabia. Women are not allowed to drive, expats typically live on compounds, alcohol is STRICTLY forbidden, and Sharia law is practiced throughout the Kingdom.

My simple point is that chasing money and time may become secondhand to living in a country like the KSA. Most Arabs that I know in the GCC hated going to Saudi. If you are used to Western culture, Saudi will be very disturbing for quite some time. It is neither a pretty place to work or play. Enjoy flying there... :(

I lived in the Middle East twice and there are certainly better places to go than Saudi that are hiring! ;)

globochem
02-05-2009, 04:10 AM
All of you that keep bashing working in Saudi, please keep it up! You are making it very hard for my current company to recruit pilots and thus making me even more valuable to them.

Thank you

acebaxter
02-05-2009, 06:55 AM
If they are looking for people with a lot of experience, yet without a type on their equipment I'd be happy to help them out!

Jim

exwaterski
02-05-2009, 02:20 PM
NAS is not going to be for everyone, or even the vast majority. Better to get a healthy dose of reality before jumping in head first with stars in your eyes. Becoming an expat is not something to be taken lightly. That said everyone has to make up their own mind.

threegreen
02-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Up at UND I taught the future Dash8 pilots. Awesome guys, i still keep in touch with them. All the guys i taught were saudi, but went to school in the states (all of them are super bright with 4 year degrees). Spoke english really well and very open minded. The dash8 training is in france or canada (i believe thats what they told me).
Sorry could not throw in pay/life style/etc...just thought would tell you about the FOs

exwaterski
02-05-2009, 07:10 PM
nevermind...

uspilot
02-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Just heard that NAS has hired a guy from JetBlue. If it true is the best thing they have done in long time, as he is a great guys and was a Instructor at JB on E190 for few years and very respected with the pilot group.. I hope they can keep him happy, before TACA take him.

jet320
02-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Just heard that NAS has hired a guy from JetBlue. If it true is the best thing they have done in long time, as he is a great guys and was a Instructor at JB on E190 for few years and very respected with the pilot group.. I hope they can keep him happy, before TACA take him.

I think he is from Republic, on the Embraer side. I wonder why TACA? They don't like to pay $$$$$$$ to disturbed their ranks on the pilot side. TACA contracts only last months.

uspilot
02-07-2009, 10:25 AM
No he is from JetBlue, I know him, he did my training few years ago. Maybe they have started hiring some good guys and change the direction they are heading. I heard some of those Copa guys are joke. Its great to hear they are hiring some good guys....:)

jet320
02-07-2009, 01:39 PM
No he is from JetBlue, I know him, he did my training few years ago. Maybe they have started hiring some good guys and change the direction they are heading. I heard some of those Copa guys are joke. Its great to hear they are hiring some good guys....:)

Well I know for a fact, that it is FUBAR! I was scheduled to join them 1 month ago, but my friends told me that it is a mess.:cool:

uspilot
02-07-2009, 04:53 PM
I agree it's a mess, I was told the same..I just hope some of these guys change things around....Are you going to go to NAS?

jet320
02-08-2009, 04:20 AM
I agree it's a mess, I was told the same..I just hope some of these guys change things around....Are you going to go to NAS?

Not anymore, at least I don't planned on it. I am Royal Jordanian and I have been flying for 9 months. Really nice here. The only reason I need it NAS, is because of my Business in Costa Rica.

acebaxter
02-08-2009, 06:00 AM
A few questions for those of you who have successfully applied and been hired at NAS.

How long after submitting the application online before you heard anything?

Did you follow the application up with a phone call or second email?

Any contact info you care to share?

Thanks,

Jim

romanu
03-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Well after hearing many interesting miths about NAS, i can tell you that is a hard place to be if you are an alcoholic, junky, or like to go to nude clubs. If you want to work, and make good money this is the place, 6/3 is the schedule ruling for now, and make sure your contract is fare, normal captain flying 80 hours should make like 12,500 to 13,000 pocket money. There are pilots from Saudi, USA, Venezuela, Pakistan, and the Instructors are mostly Panamenians from Copa Ailines, they are the ones who passes the proving room for the EMB-190 with the FAA authorities there, so they most know what they are doing. And yes you have to get the saudi licence, they do not convalidate anything, wich means you have to make another ATP exam, Oral test and ****.
Good look..:)

Joecool3
03-31-2009, 07:00 AM
Is NAS still in business?

romanu
03-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Shure Joe i'm working there, we have big managment movements, right now to make everything better, we have 6 EMB-190-195 and they ordered 12.
They just started 3 new international destinations.
Have a good one. :)

Purpleanga
03-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Are they serious about their requirements? You need 500 hours on type or 500 hours on business jets which I'm assuming any jet if you're a national??

romanu
04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Well for captain's, they are requiering that but i have seen guys not rated on the EMB, but a lot of glass cockpit and they give them the raiting. It deppends on the desperation for pilots they have.
Now they need at least 25 captains and they have only 12 or so.
bye:)

vpracing
04-02-2009, 02:17 AM
I applied a few days ago. No EMB type, lots of Glass time though. Will post if I hear any thing.
Cheers VP

Bad-Andy
04-14-2009, 04:50 PM
They must not be too desperate for Captains. I have the type, am still current (for another 3 months or so), and have 500 hours SIC in type. They told the crew leasing company that they will not budge -- it must be 500 pic in type to come in as a Captain.

They also told me that there is no commuting rotation for F/O's. I have heard rumors of otherwise. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks.

Bad-Andy

shogun
04-15-2009, 11:34 AM
It's confirmed. All FOs are now on a full time contract, based in Riyadh. Captains still get 6on/3off

whairdhugo
04-15-2009, 04:53 PM
can you define full-time contract/schedule please?

shogun
04-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Based in Riyadh, 50 to 90 hours per month, Usually 8 days off per month (5 of them have to be in a row per contract) and 45 days of vacation per year.

whairdhugo
04-16-2009, 04:45 PM
thanks for the info.

is it mostly day trips? is it only saudi flying or do you go to/overnight in other countries?

are you there now?

beech1980
12-12-2009, 09:10 PM
is there any new info on nas aviation? i heard from a pilot in the middle east that they are getting 10 more airplanes. can anyone explain what schedule they are on now, i heard 35 on 31 off.

TurboDVR42
12-12-2009, 10:06 PM
any chance landing a job with Saudi airlines with only Prop TB times?

globochem
02-08-2010, 04:06 AM
For those of you thinking about working for NAS, don't do it!

Anything they offer you is pure fantasy. They will get you over here and change the terms and conditions right in front of you and tell you to take it or leave it.

Those of us that have been here for a while periodically get new contracts handed to us that are different than what was originally signed.

You have been warned.

jet320
02-08-2010, 08:14 AM
For those of you thinking about working for NAS, don't do it!

Anything they offer you is pure fantasy. They will get you over here and change the terms and conditions right in front of you and tell you to take it or leave it.

Those of us that have been here for a while periodically get new contracts handed to us that are different than what was originally signed.

You have been warned.

TRUE! I HAPPEN TO ME! TRUE!

rmimbe
02-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Sounds worthy to give it a shot. Lost my job a week ago and willing to go anywhere in the world. where can I find out more info about this company you are so willing to start working for?
Best regards
rmimbe

jet320
02-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Sounds worthy to give it a shot. Lost my job a week ago and willing to go anywhere in the world. where can I find out more info about this company you are so willing to start working for?
Best regards
rmimbe

Quick note! you can contact Fred via www.skype.com (http://www.skype.com) he is in charge of the recruitment department, give him a ring, its free, and he will answer any question.

Cheers