Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Korean Air

JetMonkey
08-24-2008, 10:15 AM
About to get furloughed and was looking into the contracts. The ones with Korean Air sound interesting but I couldn't find a whole lot of info about them. The company web site doesn't even have an employement link niether. Does any one here have experience with or are now on a contract with Korean Air? Would very much like to know more about them, how are they to work for, how long is the training, etc.. I have several more questions too if anyone would care to answer I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks!!

Carl Spackler
08-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Seems like most people go with Gap or Rishworth:

www.gapaviation.com (http://www.gapaviation.com)

www.rishworthaviation.com (http://www.rishworthaviation.com)

Good luck to you.

Carl

Typhoonpilot
08-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Cambridge Communications would be the top pick for a non-U.S. based contract agency on the Korean deal.

TP

dojetdriver
08-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Don't know your quals, but if you are going for the A330 FO slot and are not already typed, you will be required to pay for the type if you use Rishworth. Don't know about the others.

And they will tell you, paying for the type does not guarantee a successful screening.

JetMonkey
08-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Still learning about how these contracts work. One question I have is, when you sign on to fly a certain equipment (ex. B-777) are you locked in that equipment for the duration of your contract term or can you later bid to a different plane, based on seniority I would imagine? How does upgrade work, by seniority also or does the airline have its own review board or something like that?

Thanks again!

dojetdriver
08-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Still learning about how these contracts work. One question I have is, when you sign on to fly a certain equipment (ex. B-777) are you locked in that equipment for the duration of your contract term or can you later bid to a different plane, based on seniority I would imagine? How does upgrade work, by seniority also or does the airline have its own review board or something like that?

Thanks again!

I've only inquired on two different contract jobs. The KAL one and one in Japan. I think it just varies. But on the Japanese one I was told, "it's a contract job for an FO position, so that's all you should expect". Not in a rude way, mind you. As the Japanese one was upgrading FO's after the term of the first contract was up. Just don't go into it with the expectation that you will upgrade.

I've heard the same from other guys as well.