Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : flying in mexico

toro
09-16-2008, 06:12 AM
I am moving to Mexico City this coming summer and would like to know if Regional Airliners are hiring there. I have heard that you cannot fly for a Mexican carrier if you are not a Mexican citizen although I have a hard time finding truth to that. I will only have around 300 total hours so I will be very limited in experience but I am bilingual and have extensive experience in other fields. Can anyone help guide me as to what I can expect to find there in terms of securing employment as a pilot as it has been a dream of mine for a very long time. I did have a job offer instructing. Thanks!

capto
09-17-2008, 10:07 PM
I believe Alma is hiring for the crj, you'll need the mexican licence. As for the requirements to obtain the licence I don't know.

toro
09-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Thank you. Any info is appreciated.

asdf
09-20-2008, 01:43 AM
I've heard that Mexico is super paranoid about Americans (or I guess any other nationality) coming over and taking their flying jobs. You have to be a natural born citizen to get a mexican flying license. If you marry a Mexican citizen and get citizenship, thats not good enough, you have to be a natural born citizen.

Lou Reed
09-20-2008, 04:55 AM
I don't know about Mexico but if it's like any other central american airlines you don't necessarily have to be native born, but yes a citizen. Unless they're hurting for pilotos, then they'll be open to hiring foreigners. That's the case with Taca and Copa. Using Copa as an example, they're hiring non-panamainians, if you have jet time. That way their Dept of Labor (or whoever) can work with you on that whole citizenship loophole. On the other hand, Panamanians are getting hired with 300 total. Lucky bastads.....

I've heard that Mexico is super paranoid about Americans (or I guess any other nationality) coming over and taking their flying jobs. You have to be a natural born citizen to get a mexican flying license. If you marry a Mexican citizen and get citizenship, thats not good enough, you have to be a natural born citizen.

toro
09-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Appreciate the info. I do have someone there who is going to look into that. Although I am not a Mexican citizen my wife is so hopefully that should help. Seems a little unfair.... we sure have many Mexican Nationals here working so why can't they accept a few American Pilots??

TwinTurboPilot
10-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Appreciate the info. I do have someone there who is going to look into that. Although I am not a Mexican citizen my wife is so hopefully that should help. Seems a little unfair.... we sure have many Mexican Nationals here working so why can't they accept a few American Pilots??

Which is absolute crap we have several Mexican Nationals flying N registered airplanes in my home town, for alot less money too. Dont even get me going on this subject ive got friends on the street trying to find flying jobs, and they cant. I wouldnt have a problem with it if we could go to Mexico and fly X registred airplanes but thats not the case. FYI im hispanic fluent in spanish have Mexican grandparents and still am not allowed to fly an x registred aircraft. Such BS why does our government allow this?

HercDriver130
10-04-2008, 02:20 AM
Its not just with Mexico that this is a problem..... MANY countries make it extremely difficult to get license and fly commercially in their country.... WE on the other hand as usual dont protect our jobs.... imagine that.

mshunter
08-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Which is absolute crap we have several Mexican Nationals flying N registered airplanes in my home town, for alot less money too. Dont even get me going on this subject ive got friends on the street trying to find flying jobs, and they cant. I wouldnt have a problem with it if we could go to Mexico and fly X registred airplanes but thats not the case. FYI im hispanic fluent in spanish have Mexican grandparents and still am not allowed to fly an x registred aircraft. Such BS why does our government allow this?

+1 on this guys argument. Why is it that they can come to the US and take our jobs for less wage, but we can't go down there and return the favor!:mad:

Crucero
09-01-2010, 04:35 PM
To clarify some points:

-Only Mexican citizens "BORN" in the country and/or anyone from parents "Born" in Mexico (Either Father, Mother, or both), can legally fly a Mexican registered airplane for commercial purposes.

It's called "Mexicano Por Naciemiento" in Spanish, and it's in the 30th or
32nd article of the mexican constitution. One of these states what constitutes "Mexican by birth." criteria.

There are lots of "N" registered aircraft in Mexico, so even if you can't find a job flying for an airline, check some corporate depts. out..

cvltdriver84
09-01-2010, 08:26 PM
+1 on this guys argument. Why is it that they can come to the US and take our jobs for less wage, but we can't go down there and return the favor!:mad:

Cause they are smarter than us. :D Being an airline pilot in Mexico or in the U.K. is still a glamorous thing. We haven't yet grasped the advantages of slick hair and shiny shoes. Or maybe we just have too many pilots in the States fighting for the same jobs. Wait a sec... why are we so un-glamorous? (sarcasm)

goaround2000
09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
With the closure of Mexicana (even if temporary) I don't think there will be too many flying jobs in Mexico for a while.

To the gentleman complaining about foreign nationals taking our jobs here, I submit to you that the problem is internal, and that you need to write the administrator and your local congressmen. That being said, how do you feel about expats taking jobs by the hundreds at Emirates, Qatar, Copa, and others? You can't have it both ways, it's one or the other.

cvltdriver84
09-09-2010, 12:21 AM
There are many cargo operators that fly in and out of Mexico in N registared planes. There is a lot of money to be had getting mexican manufactored parts into the states by plane when the assembly plant needs them NOW and the border crossing alone by truck is scheduled to run 3 extra days. I only know of a couple of these opporators however. Anybody got a list?

TwinTurboPilot
09-18-2010, 09:14 AM
I do agree the problem is internal with my government (USA) I understand we have expats going to the middle east and flying, we also several middle eastern or whatever other countries citizens flying here and I'm cool with that.
My beef is with countries that do not allow US pilots to fly in their country but their citizens can come fly here in the US. IE Mexico. I have no desire to work
down there but we have so many brothers on the street that could be working. As long as we reciprocate it would be fine, but its pretty lopsided right now. Also understand that this problem is not just with our career to an extent
I'm sure it affects everyones.
This problem has been going on for hundreds of years though and I doubt it
Will ever change. I wish we would protect our jobs for our citizens and then when there is a shortage allow others to come in. Especially now the way unemployment is. Rant over :rolleyes:

asdf159
07-01-2011, 01:53 PM
To clarify some points:

-Only Mexican citizens "BORN" in the country and/or anyone from parents "Born" in Mexico (Either Father, Mother, or both), can legally fly a Mexican registered airplane for commercial purposes.

It's called "Mexicano Por Naciemiento" in Spanish, and it's in the 30th or
32nd article of the mexican constitution. One of these states what constitutes "Mexican by birth." criteria.

There are lots of "N" registered aircraft in Mexico, so even if you can't find a job flying for an airline, check some corporate depts. out..

Does anyone know of any Mexican airlines that hire Mexican citizens who acquired there citizenship from their parents whom were born in mexico??

2bennySODC6
07-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I think that NAC has a plane based in Texas that is hauling Auto Parts in/out of Mexico. The Gomez brothers also have a DC-6 or DC-7 that they run down that way. There has been talk that we have been considering putting one of our a DC-9s down south to fly parts in/out of Mexico.:eek:

There are many cargo operators that fly in and out of Mexico in N registared planes. There is a lot of money to be had getting mexican manufactored parts into the states by plane when the assembly plant needs them NOW and the border crossing alone by truck is scheduled to run 3 extra days. I only know of a couple of these opporators however. Anybody got a list?