Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commutair = Mesa

beech_nut
10-14-2008, 07:44 PM
I hate to say it, but my airline has become the new mesa, perhaps even worse. Fake threats of furlough's, 9 days off out of 28 in the new bid for reserve lines, and even less for line holders who have to bid standups. Please bash us like you used to bash Mesa. We have it coming.

Its a pathetic attempt by management to punish us for voting in a union.

TristarJS30
10-14-2008, 07:47 PM

Well... Why would you go and do a foolish thing like that?

(sarcasm... I kid, I kid...)

beech_nut
10-14-2008, 08:12 PM
yes, why would we do that? The new leadership is practically begging us to run the company in to the ground. They think they make us feel pain, but they don't know how bad payback can be. Instead of working with us to make things better for everyone, PF wants to play hard ball. bring it on.

Koolaidman
10-15-2008, 12:25 AM
I teach college kids who would love to fly for your wages. Anything beats flight instructing to these kids. I may have to start my own thread on this one.

normajean21
10-15-2008, 12:40 AM
come from 8hr and flight instruct :D

CAPIP1998
10-15-2008, 08:18 AM
I've seen you guys lately out of EWR, and I heard a nasty rumor that you only get paid FLIGHT TIME. Is this true? If so, it would truly suck with the 1-2 hour sits waiting for T/O.

afterburn81
10-15-2008, 09:40 AM
you only get paid FLIGHT TIME. Is this true?

I keep forgetting that no one outside part 121 knows this. Don't worry dude, for some reason this fact keeps on getting left out when recruiters come to schools and try to convince students that flying for an airline is 100% "living the dream". There is a reason hourly pay is higher than most professions. So to answer your question, YES every airline that I can think of only pays their crew when the door shuts till the door opens for the most part. Some may have a little difference in criteria but it all works out about the same. Good question though. Pass on the word when you can.

BlueSkiesAhead
10-15-2008, 10:10 AM
I keep forgetting that no one outside part 121 knows this. Don't worry dude, for some reason this fact keeps on getting left out when recruiters come to schools and try to convince students that flying for an airline is 100% "living the dream". There is a reason hourly pay is higher than most professions. So to answer your question, YES every airline that I can think of only pays their crew when the door shuts till the door opens for the most part. Some may have a little difference in criteria but it all works out about the same. Good question though. Pass on the word when you can.

I don't think that was what he was implying. I think what he was asking was do they get paid simply for OFF to ON times. In other words, taxi time doesn't count. I seriously doubt it's the case, but then again I don't work for CommutAir so I can't say for sure.

fjetter
10-15-2008, 10:12 AM

I think what CAPIP was addressing that Commutair guys don't get paid for a 1-2hr taxi and only get paid the t/o to ldg duration. I highly doubt this is the case at Commutair.

grahamlax
10-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Is anyone hiring? Any chance of me getting hired in the near future? I have 660TT, 330ME, 350 Dual given, CFII, MEI. I'm getting really antsy to get out of the flight instructing world and in to the airlines, any suggestions?

H46Bubba
10-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Is anyone hiring? Any chance of me getting hired in the near future? I have 660TT, 330ME, 350 Dual given, CFII, MEI. I'm getting really antsy to get out of the flight instructing world and in to the airlines, any suggestions?
Mesaba is hiring.

grahamlax
10-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the info

climbcheck2
10-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Commutair only gets paid for historical block, which means if the flight was scheduled for 1 hour, and you get delayed on the ground/air, you only get paid 1 hour, even if the flight lasted 3 hours.

iluv2fly10
10-15-2008, 03:37 PM
That's just like Mesa. Not good.

Oskeewowow
10-15-2008, 03:44 PM

Is this flamebait?

If it really isn't, then do you realize how many people are on the street right now?

beeker
10-16-2008, 11:43 AM
I think what CAPIP was addressing that Commutair guys don't get paid for a 1-2hr taxi and only get paid the t/o to ldg duration. I highly doubt this is the case at Commutair.

The block time has a generic 15min taxi time in the hub and 7 min taxi time at the outstation. I do not work there but that is what it was last year. I never had a 15 min or less taxi time in ewr regardless of the time of day, weather, lack of taxi traffic, and that coming out or going into the gate. They are getting cheated. They get payed block time nothing else. If it is block for one hour gate to gate that is all you will get. If you taxi for an hour(#30 for takeoff), fly for two hours(one of which is holding) and then taxi for an hour(no available gate), you will only be paid the block time period. All those things can easliy happen with ewr.

ERJ135
10-16-2008, 12:04 PM
wow, sounds like things have gone down hill fast. Glad I got out even though I'm getting bent over bad right now. WHen I was there it was 12 days month off. Henry and friends up the in the Burgh couldn't have been nicer. Do they still have headquarters up there with crew sked and disp?

Flyboy060
10-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Henry is no longer with the firm as he elected to retire and remain in PLB. I miss the 12 days off as we are now down to a min of 10 days off with senior Captains holding only a max of 12 days off. Scheduling and Dispatch are now in CLE-but it doesn't help.

Bond
10-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the info

Don't hold your breath! 700 furloughs and counting coming from the regionals alone, who do you think they're going to pick? Keep instructing, and you'll be ready for the next wave.

skatergeek
10-16-2008, 02:20 PM

Instruct some more.:)

beech_nut
10-16-2008, 03:06 PM
1st there are now reserve only lines that will only get 9 days off a bid. Also, the changed the way the stand ups work. Before, a 3 night stand up counted as 4 days of work, since you worked on 4 days. Now it is only counted as three due to some bizarre commutair logic. The bid is not out yet but people are saying that some will only get 8 or less days off a month. Add that to the fact that deadheads don't count for anything, so if you have one as the only thing you do on a day. that is a work day that counts for nothing.

STILL GROUNDED
10-16-2008, 05:32 PM
I hate to say it, but my airline has become the new mesa, perhaps even worse. Fake threats of furlough's, 9 days off out of 28 in the new bid for reserve lines, and even less for line holders who have to bid standups. Please bash us like you used to bash Mesa. We have it coming.

No dis-repect intended here but coming from a LAMA, since when was Commute in the top ten places to work in aviation? Its been, as far as I know which is of course only what I hear, on par with Mesa for the last 5 years anyway.
I remember going to a job fair a few years back and the recruiter put up a picture of a beech1900 in reverse on a snow covered runway. Her selling point was if you want a challenging work environment. ***? We just want to go to work and come home in one piece, it really is just a job. They didn't have anyone with any real experience approach the booth.

PS. You certainly don't need bashed, anymore then the Mesa pilots do. You along with most of the rest of us have enough to deal with, you don't need poked with a stick. Good Luck

KingZandar
11-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Not to mention, we now have 8.0 block days in ewr, and the company policy is legal to start legal to finish. Plus 6 day stand-ups where the last day counts as a day off, so there you are working 7 days in a row. I think this place is worse than Mesa.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1