Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Atreyu
10-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Looks like IAD just turned out to be a reserve base. 7 hard lines, 14 reserve, 4 buildup (you probably still won't be able to drop trips there with 200% reserve coverage, haha)

We're closing down our Richmond Mx base (memo out today), but crew base is going to remain open, but continuously downsize and we only have 2 RON aircraft there starting in January.

Rumor floating around that they were hiring TSA flight attendants for ORD, any truth to this?

Hmmmm

reevesofskyking
10-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Looks like IAD just turned out to be a reserve base. 7 hard lines, 14 reserve, 4 buildup (you probably still won't be able to drop trips there with 200% reserve coverage, haha)

We're closing down our Richmond Mx base (memo out today), but crew base is going to remain open, but continuously downsize and we only have 2 RON aircraft there starting in January.

Rumor floating around that they were hiring TSA flight attendants for ORD, any truth to this?

Hmmmm

Are you surprised.
even before I left we were all talking about those are the things that need to happen.
But some of this stuff is only a good idea when managment thinks of it, when the pilot group spoke of these things it was the pilot group trying to burn the airline down.

I would still bet this is still not very far from the tip of the iceberg

Atreyu
10-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Are you surprised.
even before I left we were all talking about those are the things that need to happen.
But some of this stuff is only a good idea when managment thinks of it, when the pilot group spoke of these things it was the pilot group trying to burn the airline down.

I would still bet this is still not very far from the tip of the iceberg

I just hope this ORD base opens REAL soon :(

Atreyu
10-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Oh man, just noticed it's 35 hard lines in RIC with 5 reserve, 4 B/U.

Seriously, ya right to anyone with Drop requests.

homelessguy1
10-20-2008, 05:44 PM
I just hope they furlough me real soon. This place is a joke. I heard a rumor recently though they want 120 pilots in STL, 80 in IAD and ORD, and RIC will be gone

Stew75
10-20-2008, 06:46 PM
As a furloughed waterskier it looks like nothing has changed. Best of luck to you guys.

Purpleanga
10-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Any word on the AA flying?

TBucket
10-20-2008, 07:27 PM
The AA flying is as doomed as the RIC crew base... Oh, and don't forget that flica is officially dead as of today. (Since the company didn't want to let the union in on how they were running it).

Purpleanga
10-20-2008, 07:29 PM
How many airplanes are there now for AA flying?

250 or point 65
10-20-2008, 07:40 PM
The AA flying is as doomed as the RIC crew base...

That doesn't make any sense. From Hulas' point of view, he makes BAAANK on the at risk stuff when the going gets good. There's no reason for either AA or Hulas to get rid of each other.

TBucket
10-20-2008, 07:46 PM
That doesn't make any sense. From Hulas' point of view, he makes BAAANK on the at risk stuff when the going gets good. There's no reason for either AA or Hulas to get rid of each other.

Well, eagle is getting their 10 planes back, and I think we only have 13 going on the AA side... I'm guessing it's not worth it to support an entire codeshare for 3 planes... Especially with the scope problems that come with it..

Purpleanga
10-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Well, eagle is getting their 10 planes back, and I think we only have 13 going on the AA side... I'm guessing it's not worth it to support an entire codeshare for 3 planes... Especially with the scope problems that come with it..

3 airplanes that's it?? It's going to be interesting because right now TSA is basically done unless they do something crazy like merge TSA with GJ.

TBucket
10-20-2008, 08:07 PM
3 airplanes that's it?? It's going to be interesting because right now TSA is basically done unless they do something crazy like merge TSA with GJ.

There have been rumors about something like that... But man, that would come with some bad blood that would make the usair west/east thing look like two buddies tossing a football around.

CaptainCarl
10-21-2008, 08:20 AM
This just out yesterday:

United Airlines has become concerned with our crews over-ordering commissary supplies for personal use. Due to this they conducted an audit yesterday in ORD. The results were very disturbing.

On one particular flight the auditor observed one of our crews order 3 UAL First Class Snack Boxes, for crew meals, which are meant only for first class passengers. Folks, we don't have first class and they are not even authorized to be given to our passengers.

United Airlines considers this to be theft.

Do not order or take crew meals and do not leave the aircraft with any other commissary items (drinks/snacks) for use at the hotel or after your trip. The next crew to steal meals and commissary items from UAL, or anyone else for that matter, will be dealt with accordingly. This will include discipline up to and including termination for a first offense.

Call me for clarification if this isn't perfectly clear.

At least RZ isn't threatening us with the death penalty :D

But seriously, I can see where they are p!ssed about the Snack Boxes, so that's understandable. However, telling us not to take anything from commissary off the airplane? What about water? Somehow I just don't think this is going to stand the test of time. Idiots :mad:

Positive_Rate
10-21-2008, 08:39 AM
At least RZ isn't threatening us with the death penalty :D

Yet.

I know of one FA in particular that literally live off the snack boxes...I've seen their commissary sheets where they're requesting 9 (NINE) snack boxes...3 for each crew member...I said something to her about it, she says she didn't like to go out on the overnights, so she eats them. I'm surprised something like that memo hasn't come down sooner.

Atreyu
10-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Yet.

I know of one FA in particular that literally live off the snack boxes...I've seen their commissary sheets where they're requesting 9 (NINE) snack boxes...3 for each crew member...I said something to her about it, she says she didn't like to go out on the overnights, so she eats them. I'm surprised something like that memo hasn't come down sooner.

There's always people who ruin the good stuff for everyone. I used to work at Starbucks when I was in training, and if the pastry's are broken, you're supposed to throw them away, but our manager would let us eat them. We would inconspicuously break the pastry and be like "awesome, free breakfast", but this new girl came along and she would break one EVERY MORNING when she got in in front of customers and start eating it!!!!

That went away real quick.

CaptainCarl
10-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Yet.

She's not so smart. 3 snack boxes is inconspicuous, but 9? That's a little out of control.

The thing that bothers me the most about this is not being able to take drinks away from the plane. Almost everyone takes a bottle of water for the overnight. That's just to avoid drinking out of the tap in some of the [email protected] hotels we stay in. We had a CAL jumpseater the other day and he said they tried to pull the same thing over there and it didn't last very long. But who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if TSA fired one of us for taking a water just to make a point. :mad:

Purpleanga
10-21-2008, 09:28 AM
What if you had the water bottle the whole day and you didn't finish it, are you required to through it away at the end? It's another case of beatings will continue until morale improves... By the way, who buys those snack boxes? Not only on coach but first class, I never see anyone buying them.

homelessguy1
10-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Things seem to be getting worse by the day. First it was a crappy memo about the ipod and reading newspaper thing. Now its the snack box thing. This just makes me want to do these things more. Anybody else?

DeltaPaySoon
10-21-2008, 09:43 AM

You're right! The writing has been on the wall for muliti-uniform shops for awhile. After the dust settles, I see Trans-States, Mesa and Republic merging into other regionals or folding all together.......for starters.

Atreyu
10-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Things seem to be getting worse by the day. First it was a crappy memo about the ipod and reading newspaper thing. Now its the snack box thing. This just makes me want to do these things more. Anybody else?

I wouldn't do it man, I don't wanna be the poster boy for this fiasco right now.

Just go in, do your job, and then gtfo

TBucket
10-21-2008, 09:55 AM
It's not a day of being employed at trans-states unless they threaten your job over SOMETHING... Sick calls, snack boxes, reading the newspaper... I can only imagine what'll come next...

willflyforcash
10-21-2008, 09:56 AM
....are you required to through it away ....

is that the British spelling?

CaptainCarl
10-21-2008, 11:17 AM
It's not a day of being employed at trans-states unless they threaten your job over SOMETHING... Sick calls, snack boxes, reading the newspaper... I can only imagine what'll come next...

Talking while operating aircraft. Eating while operating aircraft. Drinking while operating aircraft. Breathing while operating aircraft. Asking questions. :D

These fools come up with some new bullsh!t every week. :mad:

250 or point 65
10-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Talking while operating aircraft. Eating while operating aircraft. Drinking while operating aircraft. Breathing while operating aircraft. Asking questions. :D

These fools come up with some new bullsh!t every week. :mad:

I was feeling mavericky today and you won't believe what i did.

I talked to ATC while operating an aircraft

250 or point 65
10-21-2008, 11:56 AM
MEMO:

The feds are crawling all over STL today. I had 5 of them doing doors training on my AC with a recurrent class.

Then when we flew the AC back, two of them went through the cabin and wrote up 23 seatbacks for being "loose". No joke, one of them said to me, "there are some back there that are ready to fall right off".

Oh well, they took the liberty of canceling my flight and I got to go home early. So watch out in STL!

s10an
10-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Its about time to utilize more of the meal-breaks now... Every day there is 4 legs or more with quickturns...

boilerpilot
10-21-2008, 02:17 PM
While I'm all for PHSF (Papa Hulas Scholarship Foundation) bashing, with that hammer coming down in STL from the feds, it sounds like maybe the reason RL and RZ are getting so militant is because of, perhaps, fear that the FAA is planning on coming down on them. If my memory serves me correctly, that wouldn't (the feds, that is) seem surprising to me at all. Of course, I'm sure they take a certain amount of glee in doing so.

Well, all I have to say is since you'll be unable to get snack boxes, when you go to those overnights where there aren't any open restaurants, have a cab drive you to the nearest food joint and bill the company. I believe there's still a contract provision allowing that.

Brown Boeing FO
10-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Its about time to utilize more of the meal-breaks now... Every day there is 4 legs or more with quickturns...

Remember that the break is at the hub, so you do that first leg from STL to ORD, then get in that nice long line at Skybridge for a Gyro. It does not specify how long the break may be, but after all it is a safety of flight issue. Make sure you point out that you might need to phone the FAA about crewmember intimidation if they say something to you.

As for MX, those guys do the best they can with what they are given! Especially the line guys, the hangar not so much. I hauled checks in better maintained airplanes before I worked at TSA. Write the stuff up people! I did and sometimes it ****ed off my crew but it has to be done, it is your ticket on the line for operating an unairworthy aircraft.

Hulas knows that his gravy now flows from United (especially when viewed from the TSH viewpoint) not AA or US. So he doesn't care. The displacements don't matter to management, you are a number (I was 13062) they don't care.

My advice, get your time and get out as soon as possible. I was there almost eight years, but 9/11 happened two years after I got there and extended all of our stays, well for those that didn't get furloughed which was about 40% of the company back then. Good luck in your future endeavors.

BBFO
Waterskier 99-07
StarChecker 95-99

Pilotpip
10-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Yep, or take that walk over to the nice, quiet bathrooms in D for your morning constitutional at STL.

As for the "personal needs clause" or whatever it is in the GOM, I had to use it once at an outstation (had to go, bad) and didn't have a choice. Got called into RZ's office the next week. When I asked him to read the paragraph that says there is basically nothing he could do about it, he yelled at me to get the f out of the room. :)

Good luck guys. Fly the contract.

Copperhed51
10-21-2008, 05:30 PM

What was the memo about the ipod and reading newspaper? Sounds like this furlough is really causing me to miss some great times over at TSA.

ExperimentalAB
10-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Yep, or take that walk over to the nice, quiet bathrooms in D for your morning constitutional at STL.

As for the "personal needs clause" or whatever it is in the GOM, I had to use it once at an outstation (had to go, bad) and didn't have a choice. Got called into RZ's office the next week. When I asked him to read the paragraph that says there is basically nothing he could do about it, he yelled at me to get the f out of the room. :)

Good luck guys. Fly the contract.

They called you in because you delayed a flight for Mother Nature?!?! What a crock...Good on ya for showing 'em!

Pilotpip
10-21-2008, 06:00 PM
I think that was the exact time that I knew I needed to get out. If it had happened about a month earlier while I was on the fence I wouldn't be furloughed right now :) The look on RZ's face when I asked him to tell me where in the GOM it said I couldn't do that (in fact, it said I could) was almost as good as when I asked him to tell me what the specific page and paragraph said. Needless to say I was ready for a fight.

Foxcow
10-21-2008, 07:19 PM
I just hope this ORD base opens REAL soon :(

Those dopes should have done it a long time ago.

It will suck because the STL base will scaled down. I'm not going to commute again so if a displacement notice happens to find its way into my mailbox, I quit.

Positive_Rate
10-21-2008, 08:55 PM
I think that was the exact time that I knew I needed to get out. If it had happened about a month earlier while I was on the fence I wouldn't be furloughed right now :) The look on RZ's face when I asked him to tell me where in the GOM it said I couldn't do that (in fact, it said I could) was almost as good as when I asked him to tell me what the specific page and paragraph said. Needless to say I was ready for a fight.

That's awesome! I can just picture him stammering trying to find an explanation to can you or some BS...nice work!

ToiletDuck
10-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Those dopes should have done it a long time ago.

It will suck because the STL base will scaled down. I'm not going to commute again so if a displacement notice happens to find its way into my mailbox, I quit.

STL to ORD isn't that bad of a commute.

Pilotpip
10-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Try telling that to the people that do it. Tons of competition on that route. AA wasn't bad, but UA and WN from MDW can be ugly.

But since you're the resident expert on everything, please tell me how easy it is.

fjetter
10-22-2008, 07:11 AM
I'm pretty sure that TSA doesn't have a commuter clause either adding additional pressure to that commute.

flynavyj
10-22-2008, 07:22 AM
probably not extra pressure, just an extra sick call....

Foxcow
10-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Ugly or not, I am not commuting again. I hear that Chicago at either airport to STL is getting tighter though.

JayHub
10-22-2008, 08:57 AM
what's this i hear about them bidding for some international stuff

wmupilot69
10-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Just more BS from the managers. I'll believe it when I see it.

Positive_Rate
10-22-2008, 10:00 AM

I heard that rumor, too. Something in the Caribbean. Like he said, I'll believe it when we touch down in a foreign land in an Hulie-bird.

JayHub
10-22-2008, 10:08 AM
caribbean eh?? huh, don't we still have certain Tprop stuff in the ops specs ideal for such a venture :rolleyes: food for thought

Purpleanga
10-22-2008, 11:40 AM
caribbean eh?? huh, don't we still have certain Tprop stuff in the ops specs ideal for such a venture :rolleyes: food for thought

Or the ERJ systems test??

CaptainCarl
10-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Or the ERJ systems test??

What? :confused: I'm confused.

Positive_Rate
10-22-2008, 12:35 PM
What? :confused: I'm confused.

Perhaps he's refering to the TSA master test book, that big yellow book of questions that still had crap questions from the ATR and 32/41 days in it?

ehe2
10-22-2008, 02:26 PM

Don't worry that flying will be awarded to RAH too...

jaded
10-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Perhaps he's refering to the TSA master test book, that big yellow book of questions that still had crap questions from the ATR and 32/41 days in it?

you mean the "study guide"? haha busted...

TBucket
10-22-2008, 02:59 PM
I heard that rumor, too. Something in the Caribbean. Like he said, I'll believe it when we touch down in a foreign land in an Hulie-bird.

Yeah, the only things Hulas will ever have in the caribbean are bank accounts...

ExperimentalAB
10-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah, the only things Hulas will ever have in the caribbean are bank accounts...

Maybe not so much anymore!

Salukipilot4590
10-22-2008, 07:13 PM

Just dont fail the INDOC test twice man....:p

willflyforcash
10-22-2008, 07:41 PM

you guys just love tagging along behind us eagle guys huh?

Salukipilot4590
10-22-2008, 08:00 PM
you guys just love tagging along behind us eagle guys huh?

Without you we wouldnt have anything to aspire to be... :rolleyes:

CaptainCarl
10-22-2008, 08:11 PM

And that has what to do with us flying to the Caribbean?

As for following Eagle everywhere, Saluki is right, you guys are our role models. I definitely wouldn't mind flying your ATRs out of MIA, sex gym and all :D

TBucket
10-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Really, I think they just want us the hell out of TYS...

Pilotpip
10-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Is Mr. Butt (yeah, that's his real name) still trying to tell crewmembers where to smoke, then calling security telling them we're in an illegal area?

God, I hated TYS. Almost as bad as SDF overnight.

Positive_Rate
10-23-2008, 07:42 AM

Well, the study guide, yes hahah, but when I was hired all that crap was still in the test books, too.

Just dont fail the INDOC test twice man....:p

I heard about that! Did that really happen?

shfo
10-23-2008, 10:20 AM

They might only be getting 9 of those planes back.......

NTSB IdentificationDFW08CA215
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121 Air Carrier operation of TRANS STATE AIRLINES (D.B.A. American Connection)
Aircraft EMBRAER EMB-145LR (N814HK)
Injuries 36 Uninjured.
Accident occurred Thursday, August 14, 2008 in St. Louis, MO
While en route to the destination airport, the first officer (FO) warns that his flaps 45 degrees landings are “a little extreme.” The FO continues by stating that the landings are “a little non-standard, but it’s way more fun.” The flight data recorder (FDR) showed an increased in the airplane’s pitch angle at approximately 34 feet above ground level. The landing flare continues to increase to approximately 13 degrees of pitch angle with a corresponding angle of attack of 17 degrees. The airplane’s stick shaker/stall warning system activates seconds prior to the airplane’s landings. During the landing sequence, the airplane’s tail sections contacted the runway.

grossole
10-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Fixed and back in service.

TBucket
10-23-2008, 11:34 AM
They might only be getting 9 of those planes back.......

NTSB IdentificationDFW08CA215
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121 Air Carrier operation of TRANS STATE AIRLINES (D.B.A. American Connection)
Aircraft EMBRAER EMB-145LR (N814HK)
Injuries 36 Uninjured.
Accident occurred Thursday, August 14, 2008 in St. Louis, MO
While en route to the destination airport, the first officer (FO) warns that his flaps 45 degrees landings are “a little extreme.” The FO continues by stating that the landings are “a little non-standard, but it’s way more fun.” The flight data recorder (FDR) showed an increased in the airplane’s pitch angle at approximately 34 feet above ground level. The landing flare continues to increase to approximately 13 degrees of pitch angle with a corresponding angle of attack of 17 degrees. The airplane’s stick shaker/stall warning system activates seconds prior to the airplane’s landings. During the landing sequence, the airplane’s tail sections contacted the runway.

Next memo: Any pilots landing at flaps 45 will be terminated.

laxflier
10-23-2008, 12:05 PM

Or his 2 hottie daughters, romping around in a "Sc*mbags Daughters Gone Wild", starring some impoverished FO, in a ramen noodle stained uniform and busted up hat getting the little ladies to "ride" some friendly thighs for Joe Francis....

jaded
10-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Well, the study guide, yes hahah, but when I was hired all that crap was still in the test books, too.

I heard about that! Did that really happen?

Yep our class Hulas University Jan 08 Alumni.

Atreyu
10-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Or his 2 hottie daughters, romping around in a "Sc*mbags Daughters Gone Wild", starring some impoverished FO, in a ramen noodle stained uniform and busted up hat getting the little ladies to "ride" some friendly thighs for Joe Francis....

If I ran an airline, I would pay everyone equally. Everyone from the CEO to the lav service guy would make an even salary every year.

bryris
10-23-2008, 05:16 PM
If I ran an airline, I would pay everyone equally. Everyone from the CEO to the lav service guy would make an even salary every year.

Probably a good thing you don't run an airline then cuz thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

No offese.

Atreyu
10-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Probably a good thing you don't run an airline then cuz thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

No offese.
Then how is it not stupid to laugh at the people who get all butthurt that Hulas's daughters have a lot of nice stuff cuz their dad is rich....

If I ran an airline, I'd make sure I was baller status

Pilotpip
10-23-2008, 06:56 PM
How old are you? 12?

de727ups
10-23-2008, 07:29 PM
This thread is going nowhere with the insults and flamebait. Thread closed.

TOS excerpt:

"Please use the "good neighbor" policy when posting to this site.
If you wouldn't say it to your neighbor face to face, than don't say it here"