Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Alcoholic pilots?

Pilot_135
04-03-2006, 04:40 PM
A very serious concern for a friend of mine (I swear - it's not me...) that he can not get a class 1 because he had a history on the sauce. It's a thing of the past now, but...

1- if there is documented abuse, can he still get a medical?
2- Is there anywhere to find the form that we all filled out at the AME? (it's not on the FAA website) I can't remember if there are any specific questions about that on there. :confused:

Thanks.

tomgoodman
04-03-2006, 08:26 PM
A very serious concern for a friend of mine (I swear - it's not me...) that he can not get a class 1 because he had a history on the sauce. It's a thing of the past now, but...

1- if there is documented abuse, can he still get a medical?
2- Is there anywhere to find the form that we all filled out at the AME? (it's not on the FAA website) I can't remember if there are any specific questions about that on there. :confused:

Thanks.

1- Yes. The requirement is two years of documented abstinence. This can be shortened by a "special issuance" medical if he is working for a carrier that has an approved monitoring program. Tell him to see an AME for details, and to be absolutely truthful. He will probably be handed off to a specially trained AME who is authorized to act as a "medical sponsor".

2- The AME will have the form. It does ask if the applicant has a history of drug or alcohol dependence, as well as traffic violations. False statements are a felony.

Alcohol recovery is one area where airlines, unions, and the FAA work harmoniously. The success rate is outstanding, but only when there is complete honesty and full compliance with the many program requirements.

PM me if I can be of further help.

atpwannabe
04-04-2006, 04:39 AM
Pilot_135:

That success rate that tomgoodman refers to.....(The success rate is outstanding, but only when there is complete honesty and full compliance with the many program requirements," ).... all starts with the individual. It all begins with a decision...;)

atp

Pilot_135
04-05-2006, 04:53 AM
Thanks for that Tom. It backs up what I have read so far in the FARs and on the FAA website. There seems to be this misconception with non-flyers that you can't be a pilot if you had any history with drugs or alcohol. Hell - I know plenty of pilots who down them a bit too much. I was taught HOW to drink at pilot training and I've had no problems... I guess the civilian world is a bit different

spectrum33
04-20-2006, 05:16 AM
I have always wondered if someone get dwi and lisecence is suspended can he fly, can he get ppl.
If u have ppl can u still fly if your drivige lisence is suspended or revoked?
Can u get ratings?
One of my frined we were in ground class together. He got dwi he stopped taking his class cauz he couldn't drive for i don't know how long. Can he still get ppl? He wanted to fly for airline in future, now i don't know if he could or not?

tomgoodman
04-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Normally, one DWI won't jeopardize your license or prevent getting one. Make sure you are absolutely honest in filling out any FAA forms, whether for a license, rating, or medical. If you already have a license, any DWI convictions must be reported to the FAA enforcement division (within 60 days, I think). This is in addition to reporting it on your next medical.

spectrum33
04-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Do u need to report that to the medical too? What's medical has to do with dwi or traffic violation?

tomgoodman
04-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Do u need to report that to the medical too?

Yes. The application for a medical certificate contains questions concerning these matters.

What's medical has to do with dwi or traffic violation?

I can't speak for the FAA, but I imagine they see a possible relationship. They have access to traffic records via computer, so anything less than complete honesty would be a big mistake.

calcapt
04-21-2006, 10:50 PM
I am aware of many pilots, including myself who have just made the decision to basically say no to alcohol anytime on a layover. Bad publicity and public scrutiny have made it just not worth it anymore. I struggle with the "just one or two" syndrome and then weigh the what ifs - then I order a Coke.

HSLD
04-21-2006, 11:21 PM
basically say no to alcohol anytime on a layover.

That's my policy too. My primary concern is being able to get sound sleep, and alcohol does not help that effort. An allegation of over-indulgence is secondary to my thinking though, it's just not worth it.

Pilotpip
04-22-2006, 01:47 PM
It's starting to become my policy too. Even as a lowly CFI. My career just isn't worth it. I find myself going at least 12 hours bottle to throttle now. And, if I do have a beer or two, that's it. I'm becomming a cheap date :)

rickair7777
04-22-2006, 10:25 PM
I adhere to the legal requirements when working a trip, and avoid drinking significant quantities at one sitting. Actually I try to avoid that even at home nowadays.

I don't refuse to drink because of what someone might think, but I try to steer clear of the hotel bar...irate hotel employees have been known to rat out crews to their airlines.

forred
05-24-2006, 01:52 PM
You can contact Christopher Behl [[email protected]] who is the Chair of the HIMS Committee at ALPA regarding treatment, certification, etc.