Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Eva Air

taylorjets
11-01-2008, 02:35 AM
I am in Taiwan now and was curious about EVA. I am airlining out on them and was curious if there were any EX pats over there... I also see they are hiring into the A330, MD11, and 777. Any info would be great.

Tjets

Typhoonpilot
11-01-2008, 06:43 AM
I am in Taiwan now and was curious about EVA. I am airlining out on them and was curious if there were any EX pats over there... I also see they are hiring into the A330, MD11, and 777. Any info would be great.

Tjets

They've had expats since they started in the early 90s. Not really one of the best expat jobs around, but it can be used as a stepping stone to better things.

TP

I Like That
11-01-2008, 09:18 AM
I have a friend who worked there for about 14+ years. Seemed to enjoy it alot. He is now at Virgin America as a Captain, and says he wants to go back out to the far east, but this time to Vietnam.

UAL T38 Phlyer
11-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Their website says they're hiring on the 747 as well..anyone have info on pay rates?

BoredwLife
11-01-2008, 11:54 AM
I've heard the opposite of some here. Moral is way low. Housing is in a shady (not safe) part of town. My understanding is that expats also get paid on a lower payscale cause they are not local. This is all second hand knowledge so take it with a grain of salt.

The Dominican
11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
About a year ago there was a thread on PPRUNE discussing an exodus of pilots from that place, all the comments were about a very low moral working environment, I tried to do a search to post a link here but couldn't find it. The general consensus is that it is not a very good gig

threegreen
11-01-2008, 12:51 PM
they have different requirements for freight and PAX ops. If hired on freight, can a person make a jump to PAX (ie MD11 to 773)?? Or are they locked in the contract to stay on the plane they were hired on to?

Purpleanga
11-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Nankantraz (http://nankantraz.org/)

Lot of EVA info on search... 8 days off min for freighters and expat upgrades are apparently harder since locals get priority.

Flyin'Finn
11-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Here's some comments a friend-of-a-friend shared about a year ago regarding life at EVA (if you're reading this SC, I hope you don't mind me posting it)

Are you assigned to a fleet, or do you have a choice between the pax. fleet and freighters? Yes...you are assigned a fleet. It basically depends on where they need manpower at the time you are hired. Though having said that...if you have a preference....they will try and accommodate.
Typical schedule, min. number of days off/mo? We get 8 to 9 days off in a block. Can get more days off while you are here. We fly anything from about 50 hours to 90 hours. Just depends on how you get rostered for the month. On average....well..on the MD11 fleet...I am only here about 4 days a month. I work about 14-16 (if that!) days a month...and the rest are off, reserve, etc.
Bases, TPE only? yes...main base here. Just works better for logistics....however...as I mentioned...on the MD11 fleet....we are here maybe 5 to 7 days a month only. Anchorage is also available as a base.
Appx. upgrade time; locals only or will ex-pats have an equal chance? Merit-based? Right now....upgrade is not even an option! We are talking....about 10 years on average. Might be less....but nothing before 6 to 7 years minimum. Locals do get preference....and they have a weird way of accounting for seniority. I have not got it figured out yet.....
Travel benefits (commuting policy), if any? Oh yes.....GREAT! Anywhere on the eva network for you and dependents. Also get ZED and ID tickets. As for commuting....umm....as long as you are where you have to be....though not appreciated. Esp as on the MD we get schedule changes all the time!
Overall morale of pilot group? Do you think EVA is managed well (kind of a self-answered question, after all EVA is an airline…)? Morale....well....its mixed. You have guys that have been here years and years...and are making good money. You have some that have not been here too long and are making ok money...yet when they see airlines like Korean paying $9000 a month for FOs....morale suffers. So really...I cant say much. On the whole..I would say its good-ish. As for well managed......well....I think it could be better...a lot better. Having said that.....its what is important to you. The planes here are in excellent conditions. Maintenance is superb! Organisation is fantastic. Safety is among the best. We are looked after well in terms of transport, hotel pick ups and drops, good hotels, laundry services, organised training, etc. The level of professionalism is very very good here! Eva pilots have a good reputaion amongst other airlinies. They make us study hard here and have us doing loads of home study and exams all the time. Also training is very good here.
Happy at EVA? Do you consider it as a stepping stone (to CX or equivalent) or could you see yourself retiring there? Yes....very happy here. Its only a stepping stone! If they paid about $2000 to $3000 more .....then I doubt anyone would actually want to leave here. They have loads of benefits and retirement options etc. There are many days off and unrestricted travel. The conditions are good, planes are new....safety record is impeccable. However....money is not enough. And there are many better options out there. However....if you want a stepping stone....in my opinion...there are not many out there that are better then Eva. You will not make too much money here....but you will get experience and training of the highest quality. You get to fly heavy jets, class cockpits and international destinations. Its a great stepping stone.

FF

taylorjets
11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Here's some comments a friend-of-a-friend shared about a year ago regarding life at EVA (if you're reading this SC, I hope you don't mind me posting it)

Are you assigned to a fleet, or do you have a choice between the pax. fleet and freighters? Yes...you are assigned a fleet. It basically depends on where they need manpower at the time you are hired. Though having said that...if you have a preference....they will try and accommodate.
Typical schedule, min. number of days off/mo? We get 8 to 9 days off in a block. Can get more days off while you are here. We fly anything from about 50 hours to 90 hours. Just depends on how you get rostered for the month. On average....well..on the MD11 fleet...I am only here about 4 days a month. I work about 14-16 (if that!) days a month...and the rest are off, reserve, etc.
Bases, TPE only? yes...main base here. Just works better for logistics....however...as I mentioned...on the MD11 fleet....we are here maybe 5 to 7 days a month only. Anchorage is also available as a base.
Appx. upgrade time; locals only or will ex-pats have an equal chance? Merit-based? Right now....upgrade is not even an option! We are talking....about 10 years on average. Might be less....but nothing before 6 to 7 years minimum. Locals do get preference....and they have a weird way of accounting for seniority. I have not got it figured out yet.....
Travel benefits (commuting policy), if any? Oh yes.....GREAT! Anywhere on the eva network for you and dependents. Also get ZED and ID tickets. As for commuting....umm....as long as you are where you have to be....though not appreciated. Esp as on the MD we get schedule changes all the time!
Overall morale of pilot group? Do you think EVA is managed well (kind of a self-answered question, after all EVA is an airline…)? Morale....well....its mixed. You have guys that have been here years and years...and are making good money. You have some that have not been here too long and are making ok money...yet when they see airlines like Korean paying $9000 a month for FOs....morale suffers. So really...I cant say much. On the whole..I would say its good-ish. As for well managed......well....I think it could be better...a lot better. Having said that.....its what is important to you. The planes here are in excellent conditions. Maintenance is superb! Organisation is fantastic. Safety is among the best. We are looked after well in terms of transport, hotel pick ups and drops, good hotels, laundry services, organised training, etc. The level of professionalism is very very good here! Eva pilots have a good reputaion amongst other airlinies. They make us study hard here and have us doing loads of home study and exams all the time. Also training is very good here.
Happy at EVA? Do you consider it as a stepping stone (to CX or equivalent) or could you see yourself retiring there? Yes....very happy here. Its only a stepping stone! If they paid about $2000 to $3000 more .....then I doubt anyone would actually want to leave here. They have loads of benefits and retirement options etc. There are many days off and unrestricted travel. The conditions are good, planes are new....safety record is impeccable. However....money is not enough. And there are many better options out there. However....if you want a stepping stone....in my opinion...there are not many out there that are better then Eva. You will not make too much money here....but you will get experience and training of the highest quality. You get to fly heavy jets, class cockpits and international destinations. Its a great stepping stone.

FF

Great info. Thank You. How does your friend like living in Taipai?

Typhoonpilot
11-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Flew with another ex-EVA guy yesterday. Same as usual story, he used it as a stepping stone out of the DC-9 to a better place.

In regards to living in Taipei, I would try to live downtown if based there. There is a lot to do when you live downtown. I like the area from Min Chuan East Road to Chung Hsiao East Road between Fu Shing North and Tun Hwa ( note, they keep changing their English spelling so those may not be the way they spell the names anymore. In Pinyin those would be spelled Min Quan, Zhong Xiao, Fu Xing, and Dun Hua )

The most expats with families can be found in Tien Mu because the American school is located there. It's a pit more pricey than down by Sung Shan airport and not as much night life.

There is loads to do on the island. Trips into the mountains and down the east coast are well worth it. Kinmen is very interesting as are Green Island and Magong. You pretty much need to speak Mandarin though when travelling solo, otherwise a tour would be better. And that's a key point. If you are single it's best to hook up with a Taiwanese girl to better enjoy your time on the island. The place just isn't English language friendly. Few people speak English and there are few signs in English to help.

I'm gonna bet your friend quoted above is single ( or was single at the time of writing his comments ). Most guys with families will try to commute. Those who bring their family struggle to get along due to language and culture barriers.

Typhoonpilot

lear 31 pilot
11-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Just a quick question, do you have the choice of Tapei or Anchorage as a domicile if you are on the cargo side.

Mahalo Av
02-24-2015, 12:34 AM
Do you have a choice to fly Cargo or passenger?

Hikoki4fun
03-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Anchorage is not a base anymore. You will be based in Taipei. If you are assigned to the 744 you will fly both pax and cargo flights. Cargo is way better. Boxes don't complain. Still quite a few expats at Eva. They need a lot of guys with experience as they are receiving 777 and 321's this year. Upgrade is 3 years ish on the 321 or ATR.

HVYMETALDRVR
03-03-2015, 11:01 PM
Do non type rated guys have a shot? 4000+TT 2000 jet and two type ratings, BS degree etc

Hikoki4fun
03-04-2015, 08:50 AM
Non type rated guys are just fine. I went to Eva from a emb145 to the 747. As long as you meet their minimums you will be fine. The application is the fun part. If you have any questions you can pm me and I can help you out.

tailendcharlie
03-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Max age 45 for DEFO's....really?

HVYMETALDRVR
03-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Non type rated guys are just fine. I went to Eva from a emb145 to the 747. As long as you meet their minimums you will be fine. The application is the fun part. If you have any questions you can pm me and I can help you out.

K Thanx I appreciate it!

Typhoonpilot
03-06-2015, 01:43 AM
Anchorage is not a base anymore. You will be based in Taipei. If you are assigned to the 744 you will fly both pax and cargo flights. Cargo is way better. Boxes don't complain. Still quite a few expats at Eva. They need a lot of guys with experience as they are receiving 777 and 321's this year. Upgrade is 3 years ish on the 321 or ATR.

If they would pay a competitive salary and stop with the ridiculously expensive bond and bank guarantees they might be able to find good candidates.

Typhoonpilot

Hikoki4fun
03-06-2015, 04:18 AM
No, there are guys that have been hired here that are in their upper 50's.

NEDude
03-08-2015, 06:49 AM
Any chance they offer a commuting contract similar to what the mainland offers? I am 4 weeks on/4 weeks off, but really want to get out of the mainland.

HVYMETALDRVR
03-08-2015, 07:07 AM
Is the info on this page accurate?

EVA Airways pilot jobs news for airline pilots and aviation schools (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/EVA_Airways)

Typhoonpilot
03-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Any chance they offer a commuting contract similar to what the mainland offers? I am 4 weeks on/4 weeks off, but really want to get out of the mainland.

Zero chance.

TP

Typhoonpilot
03-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Is the info on this page accurate?

EVA Airways pilot jobs news for airline pilots and aviation schools (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/EVA_Airways)

That's probably a little dated, but not too far off.

The Taiwanese carriers have lost dozens if not hundreds of pilots to the mainland carriers in the last few years. They get better pay and more time off at mainland carriers and it's a much easier transition for them with the language and culture.

Others are leaving for the ME carriers.

FAT has increased their MD-80 pay from about $7000/month when they re-started to $10,000/month to try to retain guys.

It's too bad, I'd far rather live and work in Taiwan than the mainland. It's a night and day difference in quality of life, but the pay is just shockingly low.

Typhoonpilot

HVYMETALDRVR
03-08-2015, 02:38 PM
That's probably a little dated, but not too far off.

The Taiwanese carriers have lost dozens if not hundreds of pilots to the mainland carriers in the last few years. They get better pay and more time off at mainland carriers and it's a much easier transition for them with the language and culture.

Others are leaving for the ME carriers.

FAT has increased their MD-80 pay from about $7000/month when they re-started to $10,000/month to try to retain guys.

It's too bad, I'd far rather live and work in Taiwan than the mainland. It's a night and day difference in quality of life, but the pay is just shockingly low.

Typhoonpilot

Thanks for the response, who's FAT?

HVYMETALDRVR
03-08-2015, 03:39 PM
Is it Far Eastern Air Transport?

Typhoonpilot
03-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Is it Far Eastern Air Transport?

Yes, FAT for short. That's what they paint on their tails.

TP

Garota Driver
04-24-2015, 06:06 AM
Hello!
I have an interview comming up soon. Can anybody share any recent experiences?

Thank you so much.

Fly Safe!

Braniff DC8
04-25-2015, 02:05 AM
Any contact info for FAT???

Their website is in some sort of hieroglyphics!

10,000$ is not too bad.

I wouldn't mind then going on to the 757 and/or 737 which is what is says are coming via of course, Wikipedia. This is assuming they hire Roundeyes?

Thx

Oh F$&@ I forgot about typhoons and earthquakes!

Braniff DC8
04-25-2015, 02:56 AM
Looks like they need loads of folks too and are hiring into the left seat?

Any word?

Thx again.

cruiseclimb
04-26-2015, 02:09 PM
I saw that Eva had a few options for Non-typed pilots with the right background. Does anyone know if they are requiring a training bond/contract? If so, any idea what it might be?

Hikoki4fun
04-26-2015, 06:23 PM
There is a 4 year, $60,000 training bond in place. It's kinda brutal.

cruiseclimb
04-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Wow.. yeah.. they got you by the short hairs on that one... Gotta be committed to Asia if you go that route..

Typhoonpilot
04-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Any contact info for FAT???

Their website is in some sort of hieroglyphics!

10,000$ is not too bad.

I wouldn't mind then going on to the 757 and/or 737 which is what is says are coming via of course, Wikipedia. This is assuming they hire Roundeyes?

Thx

Oh F$&@ I forgot about typhoons and earthquakes!

An old friend is now in flight ops management. I will try to talk to him next week. They called me yesterday looking for pilots so standby, I'll see what I can find out.

TP

badflaps
04-30-2015, 01:50 PM
They are starting MPL pilots in 2016?

Iron Maiden
05-16-2015, 08:06 AM
For those with US airlines, how did you get these items that Eva is requesting? Last six pages of company-certified flight log, CAT II / III endorsement, Employment certificate (minimum 5 years’ experience in aviation), Incident/ Accident free certificate