Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Trans States Furloughing 2009

CaptainCarl
11-03-2008, 01:16 PM
:( Well, as it stands as of ten minutes ago, I am being furloughed February 5th, 2009.

DG (flight manager) said we are furloughing in January, February, and March in conjunction with the loss of the AMR planes. He said it will affect guys all the way into the June 2007 class.

Sorry guys. :(

JayHub
11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
sorry bud...i'm already on the bench....we new this was coming:mad: Lets hope Huie can pull something out the bag....quick

Salukipilot4590
11-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Oh crap! Sorry man! If it makes you feel better I actually am glad I was furloughed from TSA... Got my tonsils out and lost 75 pounds currently.

(Was Furloughed Aug 31)

JayHub
11-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Oh crap! Sorry man! If it makes you feel better I actually am glad I was furloughed from TSA... Got my tonsils out and lost 75 pounds currently.

(Was Furloughed Aug 31)

Probably coz you aren't eating 50 bananas a day anymore:D

expectholding
11-03-2008, 01:56 PM
any word on how many during each round? is this hearsay or did you get official notification? how about april and may, considering we're giving 10 airplanes back at 2/month starting in january, it will go til may, wouldnt they furlough then too?

bryris
11-03-2008, 02:24 PM
I just got a phone call too. Not sure the date of furlough as I didn't answer the phone. I called back several times, but no answer. However, I am halfway up the list in the June 07 class. Gives you an idea of how senior they are going.

I couldn't care less, honestly. I'm done with this pursuit. It was fun, I guess, but not without its costs. I'm out right before Christmas (only way to spend it with my family), regardless of when they furlough me. Its back to school for me, and I know that if I ever come back to the airlines, it WILL NEVER be back to this damn company. That is why I can walk away from my seniority, even with a Feb furlough date, and not look back.

seafeye
11-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Well i guess you will be taking Christmas off. What are they going to do? Fire You?

CaptainCarl
11-03-2008, 02:44 PM
any word on how many during each round? is this hearsay or did you get official notification? how about april and may, considering we're giving 10 airplanes back at 2/month starting in january, it will go til may, wouldnt they furlough then too?

It's official, unless something changes between now and then. And the info I posted originally is straight out of the Flight Manager's mouth. They are bringing the total number of pilots down to 365 based on the info he gave me. Makes sense, 33 aircraft, 365 pilots.

cybourg10
11-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I can't believe DG is a fleet manager (i think that is what you meant). I was in class with him in 06, hard to believe he is management. I got out of TSA in 07, best move I ever made and I am sure the furloughs will feel the same eventually. Mabye your MEC will do what we did at XJT and work out a pref interview agreement with Mesaba.

jaded
11-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Sorry to hear that...

TBucket
11-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Damn... That truly blows... I hope they come up with something soon... That's a lot of guys out on the street.

Purpleanga
11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
:( Well, as it stands as of ten minutes ago, I am being furloughed February 5th, 2009.

DG (flight manager) said we are furloughing in January, February, and March in conjunction with the loss of the AMR planes. He said it will affect guys all the way into the June 2007 class.

Sorry guys. :(

So what's the deal with AA, are we going to keep flying for them? Considering almost half the flying is gone and Rick Leach has been elected chairman of the RAA for doing wonderful work at Trans States........

250 or point 65
11-03-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm near the top of the June 2007 class list and have not received a call. Just got a text from a guy in my class that he will be furloughed March 5th.

CaptCarl, did he say that was the extent of the furlough's due to the Eagle planes, or just the start?

He said 365 pilots total after the reductions? That would put me only a couple from the bottom

undflyboy06
11-03-2008, 03:59 PM
I got the call from DG tonight also pertaining to Feb 5th. I know it sucks, but I had a great time flying the Jungle Jet. The flying was fun, so I'm not going to cry over this.

The funny thing is that I have this sneaky feeling that even though we are going to be gone Feb 5th, that they are going to relocate us to IAD a month prior. If that's the case I'll gladly put in my resignation instead of putting up with that crap.

Pilotpip
11-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Good luck guys. I'd be right there with you if I were still there. I'd probably be at or on the bottom if I still had a job (June 07 too).

Furlough sucks. At least you know far enough in advance that you can try and find something else. That was my only saving grace here at RAH.

250 or point 65
11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
yep, just heard from the 366th pilot that he was the most senior to get furloughed. I just wanna know if thats the plan as far as the American Connection reductions go

expectholding
11-03-2008, 04:32 PM
DH said with 33 airplanes he would expect staffing of about 300 pilots, that sounds a lil more trans state-ish to me. i don't expect march to be the end of the furloughs...unfortunately.

bryris
11-03-2008, 05:07 PM
I guess anyone is June class is furloughed, March 5th?

CaptainCarl
11-03-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm near the top of the June 2007 class list and have not received a call. Just got a text from a guy in my class that he will be furloughed March 5th.

CaptCarl, did he say that was the extent of the furlough's due to the Eagle planes, or just the start?

He said 365 pilots total after the reductions? That would put me only a couple from the bottom

He said that the furloughs for Jan, Feb, and Mar are all due to us losing the AMR aircraft. He didn't actually say that it was going to be 365 pilots, he just told me the employee number of the most senior guy getting furloughed and I just looked him up to see where he was at on the seniority list (366).

As for further furloughs... I don't know and DG didn't say.

Typically you need 10 guys to run one airplane all the time, so if we do some basic math... 33 x 10 = 330... there you have the number of guys they are going to need. As for reserves and stuff, I don't know if thats factored into the 10 guys per airplane or not. 365 does seem a little fat, but maybe, just maybe, those idiots who run this joint are thinking ahead. :mad: I doubt it though.

flynavyj
11-03-2008, 05:16 PM
300 probably would be a more realistic number given the way TSA staffs the airline. What really peeves me, is just like this past month, they'll send guys to dulles, and change the number of downgrades because they're sending the most junior people, and furloughing the most junior people. Then, guys who were captains, find themselves sitting FO reserve for the remainder of the month.

Also, i believe they attempt to staff the spare airplanes with 4 crews or so per plane, and not 5.

As a result of this, the Dulles base (and once it opens) ORD base, will most likely always be staffed by the guys getting ready to get the boot.....This company will expect you to bend over backwards for them, so they can make major changes to your lifestyle, and eventually reward you with a pink slip for your hard work.

burn it down.

bryris
11-03-2008, 05:19 PM
So, I am 7 slots junior to the most senior furlough. I wonder what the chances are to accept my furlough on Jan 5th, instead of March 5th. I'd just prefer to be done with it.

Carl, you never responded to my PM about flying at GIF.

CaptainCarl
11-03-2008, 05:55 PM
So, I am 7 slots junior to the most senior furlough. I wonder what the chances are to accept my furlough on Jan 5th, instead of March 5th. I'd just prefer to be done with it.

Carl, you never responded to my PM about flying at GIF.

I agree. I am seriously considering getting out of here now, seeing as how I am on a build-up (of mostly reserve) this month and definitely on reserve for December and January. And there is no way in hell I am sitting reserve in IAD, not so I can just get F-ed. :mad:

:eek: Whoops! You are right. I must've been on a reduced rest overnight when I got it. Probably just read it and dreamt the reply. Anyways, check your inbox, it'll be there now.

CRJ1000
11-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Sorry to hear the cutbacks continue. If you get the call keep a good eye on your paycheck. Payroll is probably going to cut off you Direct Deposit and then maybe put a check in your file. Make sure you will be able to have access to it and get it ON TIME. They will hang on to your $$$ as long as they can. If you have any problems make sure to talk to your reps and if you do talk to pay make sure you get the name of the individual you are talking to. Make sure they understand they are messing with your credit if you miss a payment and will be held responsible.

exwaterski
11-03-2008, 07:57 PM
RAH has started recalling this week. It's a little premature to speculate on when we might hire again but maybe by the time you guys are getting furloughed our doors will be open again. Hang in there guys.

AirTrucker
11-04-2008, 02:49 AM
I think with all that is going on in the industry and talking to friends flying in the regionals I am going to slow down on my training so I do not have to take out any more huge loans. I might try to speed up on school, I just transferred to a community college and am doing a university partnership...it will save a ton of $$ and by doing both I hope to have no more loans and have my debt paid off even if it would = less flight hrs when the industry picks up.

Mason32
11-04-2008, 08:37 AM
RAH has started recalling this week. It's a little premature to speculate on when we might hire again but maybe by the time you guys are getting furloughed our doors will be open again. Hang in there guys.

to go there as a new hire?
to go from one airline that tries to outbid another airline for mainline contract work? meaning that they have to pay less and less, and get more and more out of you?....
why would somebody make the same mistake twice?

Stryker
11-04-2008, 08:41 AM
to go there as a new hire? to go from one airline that tries to outbid another airline for mainline contract work? meaning that they have to pay less and less, and get more and more out fo you?.... why would somebody make the same mistake twice?
Can you hear us all the way up there in your ivory tower?

johnso29
11-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Can you hear us all the way up there in your ivory tower?

At Eagle, nonetheless. ANOTHER regional.

Purpleanga
11-04-2008, 10:36 AM
I think with all that is going on in the industry and talking to friends flying in the regionals I am going to slow down on my training so I do not have to take out any more huge loans. I might try to speed up on school, I just transferred to a community college and am doing a university partnership...it will save a ton of $$ and by doing both I hope to have no more loans and have my debt paid off even if it would = less flight hrs when the industry picks up.

You have it half right, forget about flying altogether. There is NO way this is worth it, you can make as much as a regional CA with lives in his hands, as you can getting coffee at an office.

erjguy
11-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Any word on downgrades?

johnso29
11-04-2008, 11:37 AM
You have it half right, forget about flying altogether. There is NO way this is worth it, you can make as much as a regional CA with lives in his hands, as you can getting coffee at an office.

I'd like to see a secretary job that pays that kind of money.

exwaterski
11-04-2008, 11:38 AM
to go there as a new hire?
to go from one airline that tries to outbid another airline for mainline contract work? meaning that they have to pay less and less, and get more and more out of you?....
why would somebody make the same mistake twice?

If this is an unacceptable option then what exactly would be acceptable to you?

expectholding
11-04-2008, 05:13 PM
i think mason is a little extreme sometimes... kind of if you don't work for eagle you dont deserve to fly. whatever.

on a side note, you guys see the new vars? a strike office getting set up. i'm ready to burn this mother down.

undflyboy06
11-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Any word on downgrades?

With regards to downgrades. It's not an official source, but I've heard the general word that it would be 10 downgrades per month once the planes start leaving.

P-51D
11-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Go Jet is hiring....

expectholding
11-04-2008, 11:35 PM
we are all aware of that, no need to bring it up again. there's another thread for it.

logic1
11-05-2008, 04:04 AM
Go Jet is hiring....

You are now aware of the cost the Mesa pilots paid to get one list....and it was worth it!

Mason32
11-05-2008, 08:07 AM
If this is an unacceptable option then what exactly would be acceptable to you?

What's the Wwm32d ?

i think mason is a little extreme sometimes... kind of if you don't work for eagle you dont deserve to fly. whatever.

Wow, even I'm not that drastic... Compass, Mesaba, Comair and the other owned ones are ok too... my statement was towards places that will wear somebody elses colors, while trying to undercut those with decent, or formerly decent jobs; accelerating the race to the bottom. If undercutting places didn't exist, or if pilots had any fortitude at all and refused to work at such places, the owned companies would simply have to grow... instead of growing, the companies simply pit one subcontractor against another... taking us all down with them.
So, my comment was, if you are going to have to leave one of these types of outfits... why would you make the same mistake twice?

i'm ready to burn this mother down.

Now you are getting the right attitude, but it would have been best to have had it before enabling such outfits to continue operating... the flying will exist, and will continue to exist. If one of these regionals vanish tomorrow, another will just grow bigger... so long as people will work for places that pretend to be somebody else for less money, it hurts us all.
It is difficult when the only places hiring are the crappy places, but there are those among us who will not lower themselves to be part of that type of operation.

I know of several folks who could have had jobs at any of those regionals long long ago, and instead continued working their regular jobs and flying corporate or traffic or whatever until the decent companies were hiring, then they went. Hats off to them for standing up for what they believe in. Just because a place is willing to hire you does not mean it is the job you should take. For what they pay RJ FO's the first several years most would be better off financially working as a trash collector... flying on the side until a real job opens up.

An oversimplification of course; but it does highlight some of the cause-effect issues in the profession.

exwaterski
11-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Okay now I see where you're coming from. It's only okay to work for wholly owned regional carriers. Sure hope AMR never decides to sell you.

WWM32D = What Would Mason32 Do?

As for the "I'm ready to burn this mother down" you might want to double check your quotes.. Hint: See post #33

logic1
11-05-2008, 10:36 AM
What's the Wwm32d ?

Wow, even I'm not that drastic... Compass, Mesaba, Comair and the other owned ones are ok too... my statement was towards places that will wear somebody elses colors, while trying to undercut those with decent, or formerly decent jobs; accelerating the race to the bottom. If undercutting places didn't exist, or if pilots had any fortitude at all and refused to work at such places, the owned companies would simply have to grow... instead of growing, the companies simply pit one subcontractor against another... taking us all down with them.
So, my comment was, if you are going to have to leave one of these types of outfits... why would you make the same mistake twice?

Now you are getting the right attitude, but it would have been best to have had it before enabling such outfits to continue operating... the flying will exist, and will continue to exist. If one of these regionals vanish tomorrow, another will just grow bigger... so long as people will work for places that pretend to be somebody else for less money, it hurts us all.
It is difficult when the only places hiring are the crappy places, but there are those among us who will not lower themselves to be part of that type of operation.

I know of several folks who could have had jobs at any of those regionals long long ago, and instead continued working their regular jobs and flying corporate or traffic or whatever until the decent companies were hiring, then they went. Hats off to them for standing up for what they believe in. Just because a place is willing to hire you does not mean it is the job you should take. For what they pay RJ FO's the first several years most would be better off financially working as a trash collector... flying on the side until a real job opens up.

An oversimplification of course; but it does highlight some of the cause-effect issues in the profession.

Only if the US had one and only one airline (or union) would your thought be able.

TopFlight
11-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Sorry for the bad news. Hope you all are able to find jobs soon. I'm just a student & am hesitant to go into the airlines industry d/t all the furloughs & the horrible pay for new pilots.

ehe2
11-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Nothing yet on the downgrades. I will be one of the first to know.

ehe2
11-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Just got the call, downgrade Jan 5th

Mason32
11-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Okay now I see where you're coming from. It's only okay to work for wholly owned regional carriers. Sure hope AMR never decides to sell you.

Everything AMR has is for sale.... didn't you know that? In their own words during a press conference when asked to quote a price for Eagle...
"you can't afford it." But yes, there is a vast difference between being employed at a regional where your paycheck comes from the same bank account as mainline, than when it comes from some regional that happens to have the flying by trying to undercut the next company....

The mainlines will have their regional feed one way or another. We can keep accepting jobs from lowlife scumbags types like (insert name here), and helping him get rich while accelerating the race to the bottom, or you can get some self respect and do what's right in the first place... when the lowlife Companies go away, the owned companies will just grow larger.

It's basically the same arguement Mainlines have been saying about regionals for decades... that we are stealing the flying... and nobody believed them.... I'm sure if you ask a few Midwest pilots, they may be able to explain the long term detramental effects of outsourcing.... be it outsourcing to replace a little plane, or a big plane....

WWM32D = What Would Mason32 Do?

Cool, I like it.

CaptainCarl
11-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Just got a message from DH (flight manager) today:

Displaced to Dulles January 5.

Furloughed on February 5.

They love to add insult to injury. :mad:

johnso29
11-05-2008, 02:25 PM

Looks like you need to hurt your back right after Christmas, or get very sick.

Purpleanga
11-05-2008, 02:41 PM

Did you actually think you're important to them? We're all just meaningless numbers.

ehe2
11-05-2008, 03:25 PM

Lucky you, you get to take my place.

CaptainCarl
11-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Looks like you need to hurt your back right after Christmas, or get very sick.

*cough*:o*cough*

You never know, you know? :D

CaptainCarl
11-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Lucky you, you get to take my place.

Don't worry homie, I requested to take a January 5 furlough because the spring semester starts in January and I don't want to miss it.

I hope you will get an extra month :cool:

ehe2
11-05-2008, 03:57 PM
I hope you will get an extra month :cool:

Probably not...unfortunately
:(

freezingflyboy
11-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Everything AMR has is for sale.... didn't you know that? In their own words during a press conference when asked to quote a price for Eagle...
"you can't afford it." But yes, there is a vast difference between being employed at a regional where your paycheck comes from the same bank account as mainline, than when it comes from some regional that happens to have the flying by trying to undercut the next company....

The mainlines will have their regional feed one way or another. We can keep accepting jobs from lowlife scumbags types like (insert name here), and helping him get rich while accelerating the race to the bottom, or you can get some self respect and do what's right in the first place... when the lowlife Companies go away, the owned companies will just grow larger.

It's basically the same arguement Mainlines have been saying about regionals for decades... that we are stealing the flying... and nobody believed them.... I'm sure if you ask a few Midwest pilots, they may be able to explain the long term detramental effects of outsourcing.... be it outsourcing to replace a little plane, or a big plane....

Wow...another winning personality from Eagle.:rolleyes: I can not begin to express my enthusiasm for my next van ride with one of you types. I have definitely met some decent Eagle guys but it seems like y'all have a disproportionate number of obnoxious d-bags. I don't get the "if you ain't wholly owned, ya ain't schnit" attitude. I really don't. You may be wholly owned but that still just makes you the ultimate B-scale employee. Good for you. For the record I work for one of the worthless undercutting scumbag non-wholly owned operators (XJT).:rolleyes: Get off it dude.

Sorry for the thread drift, just had to vent. With all this talk of TSA furloughing, does that mean the option of combining GoJet and TSA seniority lists (as distasteful as it is) is off the table? I feel for you TSA guys getting furloughed while spineless jet-A "wannabes" are still getting hired at Gojet. Burns me up.

ehe2
11-05-2008, 04:35 PM
With all this talk of TSA furloughing, does that mean the option of combining GoJet and TSA seniority lists (as distasteful as it is) is off the table?

Doubt it. I see TSA becomming the next UFS (united feeder service. The first TSA alter ego. They just disappeared.):mad:

CaptainCarl
11-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Wow...another winning personality from Eagle.:rolleyes: I can not begin to express my enthusiasm for my next van ride with one of you types. I have definitely met some decent Eagle guys but it seems like y'all have a disproportionate number of obnoxious d-bags. I don't get the "if you ain't wholly owned, ya ain't schnit" attitude. I really don't. You may be wholly owned but that still just makes you the ultimate B-scale employee. Good for you. For the record I work for one of the worthless undercutting scumbag non-wholly owned operators (XJT).:rolleyes: Get off it dude.

Sorry for the thread drift, just had to vent. With all this talk of TSA furloughing, does that mean the option of combining GoJet and TSA seniority lists (as distasteful as it is) is off the table? I feel for you TSA guys getting furloughed while spineless jet-A "wannabes" are still getting hired at Gojet. Burns me up.

I'm pretty sure the subject was never on the table to begin with. However, I am definitely trying to get the idea out there. I think one list is the best thing for TSA and GoJet right now, especially with Trans Staters getting kicked out the door and GoJetters hiring nubbin's (newbies). One list will give us some power we do not currently have.

exwaterski
11-05-2008, 04:44 PM

Somebody who gets it.

freezingflyboy
11-05-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the subject was never on the table to begin with. However, I am definitely trying to get the idea out there. I think one list is the best thing for TSA and GoJet right now, especially with Trans Staters getting kicked out the door and GoJetters hiring nubbin's (newbies). One list will give us some power we do not currently have.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. But I guess by keeping you guys divided management has you right where they want you. At least with one list the furloughs on the TSA side would be absorbed by the hiring on the GoJet side. I'm sure unifying that pilot group will be an uphill battle for the ages but it may be worth looking at. I would really hate to see TSA fade into the sunset while GoJet prospers.

OscarOscar
11-05-2008, 05:04 PM
It's my understanding that HoJet was started to circumvent AA (or Eagle's) scope on flying 70 seaters. Since TSA is no longer flying for AA, HoJet has no reason to exist any more, correct?

I have to agree. Even as an (insert name here) pilot, what you're saying makes a lot of sense.

OO.

250 or point 65
11-05-2008, 05:11 PM
It's my understanding that HoJet was started to circumvent AA (or Eagle's) scope on flying 70 seaters. Since TSA is no longer flying for AA, HoJet has no reason to exist any more, correct?

Dude, mix in a search and don't derail a thread about displacements with this GoJet bs. You have no right to call them HoJet if you have no idea what you are talking about. Read a lot, then call them HoJet all you want.

btw, just got my displacement call today. going to dulles on jan 5th. however, heard that a guy below me on the list isnt getting displaced until the 23rd, so i'm gonna call tomorrow and see if i was given the correct information.

Time for a LOA!...

OscarOscar
11-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Dude, mix in a search and don't derail a thread about displacements with this GoJet bs.

Dude check your panties...

You have no right to call them HoJet if you have no idea what you are talking about. Read a lot, then call them HoJet all you want.

Really? Thanks. HoJet.

OO.

CaptainCarl
11-05-2008, 05:27 PM

Dude, regardless of any scope clause with anyone, Trans States Holdings could have created GoJet and put them on our seniority list.

That way, we would have the ability to move to the 70-seaters without violating the Eagle scope. But I'm sure if that's how it happened, Eagle guys would be p!ssed like none other and would be calling all of us "psuedo-scabs" for circumventing their scope clause.

I don't really care though because the -700's are all operated for United anyways, so it's not like they would be competing with American Beagle Boys. :D

250 or point 65
11-05-2008, 05:47 PM
most of us are very versed in how GoJet was created and how it operates. Let it go in this thread. There are people losing their jobs and getting displaced. We don't need a reminder that GoJet is prospering.

Mason32
11-05-2008, 05:51 PM
most of us are very versed in how GoJet was created and how it operates. Let it go in this thread. There are people losing their jobs and getting displaced. We don't need a reminder that GoJet is prospering.

agreed.....

Stew75
11-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I second that agreement

CaptainCarl
11-06-2008, 04:29 AM
Me third. ;)

ehe2
11-06-2008, 07:55 AM
me too. Fourth that

undflyboy06
11-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I wonder how many of us TSA guys are going to just flat out resign when Jan 5th comes around. I'm seriously considering on giving them my letter in late December, say 23rd or 24th :).

Hell, everyone that is getting furloughed should just resign right before christmas.

Mason32
11-06-2008, 11:20 AM
I wonder how many of us TSA guys are going to just flat out resign when Jan 5th comes around. I'm seriously considering on giving them my letter in late December, say 23rd or 24th :).

Hell, everyone that is getting furloughed should just resign right before christmas.

IF your company is like most, you can submitt a resignation letter and still be able to recind it right up until the day before it's effective....

How cool would it be for 3/4 of an airline's pilots to all submitt resignation letters citing poor pay, poor work rules, and management apathy?

bryris
11-06-2008, 01:12 PM
IF your company is like most, you can submitt a resignation letter and still be able to recind it right up until the day before it's effective....

How cool would it be for 3/4 of an airline's pilots to all submitt resignation letters citing poor pay, poor work rules, and management apathy?

I for one am out of here come Dec 20th. Its been a fun ride, met a bunch of great folks, and learned SO VERY much about flying and what it is like to fly professionally.

I'd rather spend Christmas with my family. Already lined up a flight instructor job part time while I go back to school. Life looks a hell of a lot brighter.

exwaterski
11-06-2008, 03:29 PM

Trans States is not like most companies. Once you hand in a letter there you are done.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1