Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Auditor

vagabond
11-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Several of you mentioned an interest in accounting and getting a CPA. You might be interested in moving into auditing. CPA firms are hired to audit the books of private corporations, non-profit organizations, big ones and small ones. The Federal Reserve Board, the FDIC and the NCUA (National Credit Union Administration) all have said they are going to increase the number of auditors. And I see this need continuing especially given the current financial conditions.

It's not an easy thing, but if you can learn to fly, I think you can learn all about GAAP, TDR, and AIRES. Many people see auditors as the enemy, but a good one can save the life of your organization and make it compliant and perhaps even profitable.

Led Zep
11-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Several of you mentioned an interest in accounting and getting a CPA. You might be interested in moving into auditing. CPA firms are hired to audit the books of private corporations, non-profit organizations, big ones and small ones. The Federal Reserve Board, the FDIC and the NCUA (National Credit Union Administration) all have said they are going to increase the number of auditors. And I see this need continuing especially given the current financial conditions.

It's not an easy thing, but if you can learn to fly, I think you can learn all about GAAP, TDR, and AIRES. Many people see auditors as the enemy, but a good one can save the life of your organization and make it compliant and perhaps even profitable.

I don't have a CPA but I know several people who do and they all enjoy what they do. The one common trait I see between CPA's and pilots is attention to detail. And unlike our jobs, their jobs can be very diversified. i.e., auditing, budgets, advising, etc. It seems like being a CPA is akin to being a "jack of all trades" in the world of business. If you get bored of the area you are in, you could move into a different area without having to go back to school for an entirely different skill set.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1