Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

KC10 FATboy
11-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Air hostess helped land passenger jet after co-pilot had 'breakdown' over the Atlantic | Mail Online (http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1087523/Air-hostess-helped-land-passenger-jet-pilot-breakdown-Atlantic.html)

-Fatty

Da808er
11-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Air hostess helped land passenger jet after co-pilot had 'breakdown' over the Atlantic | Mail Online (http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1087523/Air-hostess-helped-land-passenger-jet-pilot-breakdown-Atlantic.html)

-Fatty

You know who she will be listing as a reference on an airline interview!

Onfinal
11-20-2008, 07:10 AM
58 years old, sitting right seat. That might explain it all!

Onfinal

gdpballin
11-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Thats a scary situation.

The Dominican
11-20-2008, 05:37 PM
58 years old, sitting right seat. That might explain it all!

Onfinal

Being an ERJ- FO Mr. On final, you will eventually come to realize that career progression in this paid hobby of ours doesn't always go as planned, I just helped a 53 year old UAL F/O that has been furloughed again, with some inquiries he had about the job here at ANA and I'm happy to say that he got hired, there are also many 50+ F/O's at USAir (a lot of them downgraded from captains) flying the line. You will come to understand that sometimes this business has a funny way of humbling by placing you on the right seat jerking the gear to somebody that has one third your experience level. It is a funny way to make a living for sure

Onfinal
11-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Being an ERJ- FO Mr. On final, you will eventually come to realize that career progression in this paid hobby of ours doesn't always go as planned, I just helped a 53 year old UAL F/O that has been furloughed again, with some inquiries he had about the job here at ANA and I'm happy to say that he got hired, there are also many 50+ F/O's at USAir (a lot of them downgraded from captains) flying the line. You will come to understand that sometimes this business has a funny way of humbling by placing you on the right seat jerking the gear to somebody that has one third your experience level. It is a funny way to make a living for sure

Came to realize it a long time ago!
Seems to me we're saying the same thing! :confused:

ImEbee
11-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Interesting that this occured nearly a year ago and the media is now just picking it up. They love to go ape over these type of stories.

The Juice
11-22-2008, 02:37 PM
The article makes it seem like a single pilot could never land the plane single pilot

DYNASTY HVY
11-22-2008, 03:12 PM
The article makes it seem like a single pilot could never land the plane single pilot
YES you can fly a 767 and 757 single and what,s amazing to me is that the Cpt .made an announcement asking if anyone had flight quals kind of like in the movie Airplane.
Not a real bright move on his part in that aspect .Makes pax nervous just a wee bit when that happens :eek:.
Bit strange that this is news now so it must have been a slow news day to dig up almost 12 month old info.
y,all fly safe now .

robthree
11-29-2008, 06:17 AM
It would appear to me that the story is the result of the "Irish Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU)" publishing their report on the incident, not such a slow news day that The Mail had to go did up a year-old story.
There is no mention of the Captain making any PAs asking for random passengers to come fly with him either... but it does seem reasonable that he would ask the cabin crew if there were any non-revving pilots on board, and finding that there was a FA with a Commercial ticket working the trip it would be prudent to have someone else strap in.

Lets see...
1. Incapacitated crewman.
2. Company employee joins captain in cockpit.
3. Divert to nearest suitable airport for medical attention.

Not really as exciting that way, but still covers all the salient facts.