Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Trans States: More United Flying?

CaptainCarl
01-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Anyone? I personally won't believe it until I pull the gear up on said "15 more aircraft," but figured I'd see if anyone else has got any solid information...

:confused: Also, DC gets a *captain* build-up line with 16 days off and all American flying? How? Oh, by the way, last time I checked, DC was still a first officer and junior to a lot of captains who are still on reserve.

nck4857
01-02-2009, 02:01 PM
DC... what a tool.

undflyboy06
01-02-2009, 02:13 PM
I haven't hear anything about the rumor in a while. Personally I would rather look for another job then get recalled back to transstates.

TBucket
01-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I'll believe we're getting new planes when I declare my first emergency in one... pff...

Positive_Rate
01-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I'll get the info straight from the horses mouths next week in recurrent....you know, ultra-reliable...last year they told us we'd have 15 of Mesa's old birds by today...RZ and MW.

How the HELL did DC get that line?! At least he's not in the box anymore...I know some captains I've been flying with have been itching to get him as an FO...

Copperhed51
01-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Ugh...just reading the initials "DC" gives me the willies. I'm not sure I even know what it means to have the willies, but I got em.

As far as getting more United flying, I just can't imagine that being even close to happening. I really hope I'm wrong though. Oh well, with any luck I'll be flying corporate within the next couple of months and won't have to worry about it anymore.

Positive_Rate
01-02-2009, 05:51 PM
At the rate we've been canceling flights lately due to lack of crews and shotty MX...we'll be lucky is we have ANY UAL flying left at all.

flyinaway411
01-02-2009, 06:57 PM
amen to that. mx has been brutal lately.

ehe2
01-02-2009, 07:27 PM
*** DC got an AA captain buildup...not even close to being right. I hope it is not true. Let the grieviances begin. He is way junior to a lot of downgraded captains.

CaptainCarl
01-02-2009, 07:55 PM
*** DC got an AA captain buildup...not even close to being right. I hope it is not true. Let the grieviances begin. He is way junior to a lot of downgraded captains.

Its true. It's posted in the crew room for all to see. Or check the final master and go all the way to the last page and you will find DC with line number 9000. 16 days off, 85 hours of flying, and the same AA two-day all month long. :mad:

Someone needs to call AF so he can add it to his full plate of grievances.

And I agree, with the way our "maintenance" in Dulles is going, we are all going to be out of a job and GoJet will be hiring for 50-seaters. :mad: Seriously, it seems that only one guy out there knows what's going on. The rest just follow him around, pretending to be mechanics.

Anyways, I'm out of here soon... thank *insert deity of your choice* :o

Foxcow
01-02-2009, 08:24 PM
DC the tool... I am pretty sure he is listed as a captain but is flying as an FO. Somehow, he gets an all american line with day trips and two day trips built for him by planning while the rest of us get crap.

I don't see Trans States getting more flying for United because of the way the operation is run. All of the planes are more broken than usual, we pilots still don't have a contract, the flight attendants don't have a contract, etc, etc.

Minimum effort

ToiletDuck
01-02-2009, 08:50 PM
I know it's not really my place but you did bring it to a public forum and I'm itching to the story? What do you mean by "In the box" and how is it someone managed to bid and get better schedules than everyone else? The fact it has already happened should be enough to make the union go ape****.

Foxcow
01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Management is able to cherry pick up to a certain percentage of the schedule as they choose. The person in question is not management so I don't know how it is legal. In the box = simulators.

ToiletDuck
01-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Management is able to cherry pick up to a certain percentage of the schedule as they choose. The person in question is not management so I don't know how it is legal. In the box = simulators.

Ah ok. I thought you meant like sh!tbox as in he was grounded for some time.

flycrj200
01-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Why is GoJets hiring and you guys are furloughing? I thought it's the same company.

undflyboy06
01-03-2009, 06:04 AM
All of the planes are more broken than usual, we pilots still don't have a contract

Minimum effort

I can vouch for that. I was flying a repo flight from DEN - STL yesterday. One of our flights that took off a few minutes before us had to diver and return to DEN due to massive bleed leak: 1 and 2 failed. They couldn't start the APU for the packs so they had to descend to 10,000. We were already in the air with a good plane, so we had to turn around too and give them our good plane while we had to nurse the broken one back to STL at 25000.

Anyway, I'm only around 40 hours from ATP mins. That is the only reason on why I will be putting up with the BS commute from STL to IAD before I get the boot in FEB. Once I get my hours I'm just going to walk in there and hand in my resignation. Screw the 2 week notice.

undflyboy06
01-03-2009, 06:12 AM
Why is GoJets hiring and you guys are furloughing? I thought it's the same company.

The main reason why Transstate is furloughing is because the 10 EMB's that we use for our American flying are from Eagle. Eagle has is somewhere in their contract that in order for them to start furloughing, they have to have all of their aircraft back on property. Therefore, Eagle gets their 10 airplanes back, and we loose pilots.

Just the nature of the beast I guess.

bryris
01-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Anyways, I'm out of here soon... thank *insert deity of your choice* :o

The water is great on the outside. I quit 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier about it. Sure, I miss the flying just a bit, but I will never miss TSA and the commuting I did to get to STL, crashpad, hotels, etc. All the furloughs and uncertainties and the promise of a displacement to Dulles coupled with a basic unhappiness with the job that existed since the beginning convinced me to step out.

I've got a part time instructing job to keep me involved with aviation. But I start school Monday working towards my CPA. I just created my own corporation over the break that I will grow into over the coming few years. My hope is to finish school, pay my dues at a local accounting firm to get real world knowledge and money, then take yet another pay cut and begin working inside said corporation as a CPA. If I work it right and don't get lazy, I can be my own boss and making a livable income on my own in 4 to 5 years.

Positive_Rate
01-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Best of luck to you, Bryris! Another Hulas parolee!

...these planes are JUNK.

RAHPilot5
01-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Therefore, Eagle gets their 10 airplanes back, and we loose pilots.

:D time to tighten you up

groovinaviator
01-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Who is DC? What's the story there?

Pilotpip
01-03-2009, 10:28 AM
If I have it correct, he's the newest flight manager. They couldn't attract anybody from outside or a captain, so they gave the job to DC, an FO who had about a year on property. Pretty much a giant toolbag. He couldn't understand why I was quitting when I handed him my two week notice.

DryMotorBoatin
01-03-2009, 10:31 AM
No. Please don't be true. I can't go back to work. I was just getting good at Call of Duty 4. But just in case...where did this rumour come from? And I admire all the other former waterskiers who have begun working on another career...I, on the other hand, have planned absolutely zero for the future.

ehe2
01-03-2009, 11:29 AM
If I have it correct, he's the newest flight manager. They couldn't attract anybody from outside or a captain, so they gave the job to DC, an FO who had about a year on property. Pretty much a giant toolbag. He couldn't understand why I was quitting when I handed him my two week notice.

that's dg you are talking about...as far as I know he is still downgraded.

flynavyj
01-03-2009, 12:16 PM
As stated DG and DC are two different people. DC was a former training department man who had a reputation for being difficult. DG is still a flight manager, has been in that position for over a year now, got the spot as a FO, upgraded to CA while he was there. But, although his seniority shouldn't allow him to stay a CA, he's allowed to fly from the left seat until he leaves the office....Combine that, with 95 hr/ Guarentee, and being home every night, he's got a nice spot...Just has to deal with a lot of pilots on property hating him .

Copperhed51
01-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Hey navy, heard you're heading off to greener pastures. You already gone or still in the process? Either way, good luck and enjoy being out from under the heavy hand of Hulas.

DryMotorBoatin
01-03-2009, 12:51 PM
I have also heard we are getting 15 additional airplanes but that is contingent upon Howard Hughes bringing back TWA

Positive_Rate
01-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Had the whole DC thing explained to me today...apparently, what he has, the line 9000 or whatever w/16 days off is totally legal..bunch of BS I know...but still legal.

Per the contract...management retains 4% of the flying per quarter or month, I can't remember which. Since he's still technically in the "training department" they stocked his line with leftovers from that 4% held back (amazing how it's the same 2-day the whole month) and that's how he has what he has. It's not technically a build-up line...nor hard line. We can't even grieve it so that all the FOs junior to him get paid what he's getting paid...total BS.

Sidenote...anyone see all the action going on the UAL side today in STL...something about "a bah....not not a bah...a bo**..."

CaptainCarl
01-03-2009, 02:03 PM
The main reason why Transstate is furloughing is because the 10 EMB's that we use for our American flying are from Eagle. Eagle has is somewhere in their contract that in order for them to start furloughing, they have to have all of their aircraft back on property. Therefore, Eagle gets their 10 airplanes back, and we loose pilots.

I think that is just rumor. Eagle guys have said that they don't think there will be any furloughs. Only time will tell.

CaptainCarl
01-03-2009, 02:09 PM

Either you got a lot of catching up to do or you are just trying to incite a riot. :D

CaptainCarl
01-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Sidenote...anyone see all the action going on the UAL side today in STL...something about "a bah....not not a bah...a bo**..."

:confused: Huh?

Positive_Rate
01-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Aw, c'mon...no one gets my obscure Airplane II quote?

I'm trying to find a clip online, but i can't. Elaine talks to Ted about finding a bomb on the shuttle...no? Anyone? Bueller?

Purpleanga
01-03-2009, 05:06 PM
DC the tool... I am pretty sure he is listed as a captain but is flying as an FO. Somehow, he gets an all american line with day trips and two day trips built for him by planning while the rest of us get crap.

I don't see Trans States getting more flying for United because of the way the operation is run. All of the planes are more broken than usual, we pilots still don't have a contract, the flight attendants don't have a contract, etc, etc.

Minimum effort

TSA will get more flying when the GJ certificate is merged. Mcdonalds wouldn't open up another fast food chain and call it McDoogle and compete for the same customers. Why would TSA and GJ be any different when AA flying runs out. I'm guessing Hulas and others are just stalling this contract until the certificates can legally be merged later this year.

Foxcow
01-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I would be month of my crappy pay that TSA and g0jet will never merge. Management would lose the whipsaw and it would probably be a pain in the ass to accomplish. I just don't see it happening.

Purpleanga
01-03-2009, 05:33 PM
I would be month of my crappy pay that TSA and g0jet will never merge. Management would lose the whipsaw and it would probably be a pain in the ass to accomplish. I just don't see it happening.

We're not talking about merging United with Air France. It's two crappy airlines, pardon my French, in STL. Staple the lists, sign the contract and the rest would be easy since all other non flying TSS/GJ jobs are transferable. I'm pretty sure the local tire sales, car wash, and trash hauler union would be understanding. Plus why would it make any sense to own two airlines competing against one another?

250 or point 65
01-03-2009, 06:14 PM
We're not talking about merging United with Air France. It's two crappy airlines, pardon my French, in STL. Staple the lists, sign the contract and the rest would be easy since all other non flying TSS/GJ jobs are transferable. I'm pretty sure the local tire sales, car wash, and trash hauler union would be understanding. Plus why would it make any sense to own two airlines competing against one another?

He doesn't own two airlines competing against each other...

He owns two PILOT GROUPS competing against each other!

Why would he want to get rid of the IBT and replace it with ALPA? I'm not saying that ALPA is the end all, be all by any stretch, but GJ's purpose was to weaken ALPA at TSA.

Purpleanga
01-03-2009, 06:44 PM
He doesn't own two airlines competing against each other...

He owns two PILOT GROUPS competing against each other!

Why would he want to get rid of the IBT and replace it with ALPA? I'm not saying that ALPA is the end all, be all by any stretch, but GJ's purpose was to weaken ALPA at TSA.

Why not? That's what JO did with Freedom. Once Airways allowed Mesa to fly the CRJ7/9, JO used Freedom to force a sub par contract in 03 so that Mesa pilots wouldn't lose their jobs. It could happen with GJ/TSA in an effort to settle things with the work force.

Foxcow
01-03-2009, 08:54 PM

I agree that people would not take notice should either or both companies ceased operations but I still don't think it is going to happen. Hulas makes a lot of money and he is not going to do anything to hurt profitability. TSA has a pretty awful contract. We are below industry average in just about every area of the contract. g0jet signed a 5.5 year piece of crap contract. Throughout the course of our 29 months or so of negotiations, I can guarantee that the people that negotiate on behalf of management reference gojet hence the whipsaw.

In my opinion, there are two schools of thought in business. The first features a management team that actually manages the business, keeps their employees happy by paying them well, gives their employees incentives to give at least 100%, and treats their employees like assets rather than liabilities. The second features a management team that can hardly be called managers, invests virtually no money back into the vehicle that made the very profits possible, and consistently wages war on labor. If the first method of yields far greater results, why doesn't every company on the plant adopt this method? Its a win, win. Southwest Airlines is probably the best example. Why don't people like Hulas, Ornstien, Tilton, Steinland, Parker, Lorenzo, Icahn, etc, etc strive to emulate pretty much the best airline in the industry? Who knows...

DryMotorBoatin
01-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Why don't people like Hulas, Ornstien, Tilton, Steinland, Parker, Lorenzo, Icahn, etc, etc strive to emulate pretty much the best airline in the industry? Who knows...

That's a brilliant point. It really is. You would think that people as "intelligent" as the aforementioned would learn from other peoples' success and failures. To quote Joe Dirt...

"Well, duh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?"

flynavyj
01-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Why don't people like Hulas, Ornstien, Tilton, Steinland, Parker, Lorenzo, Icahn, etc, etc strive to emulate pretty much the best airline in the industry? Who knows...

Because while most of these individuals are smart, they're also like a bunch of teenage girls. They hold grudges, throw temper tantrums, and have egos which get in the way of effective business solutions and relationships. Don't know if they weren't hugged enough as kids, didn't get laid enough during high school, or are just unhappy with their lives, but, many of the people mentioned above simply believe that the way they're doing business is the only way to do business, and the only person who could convince them otherwise are themselves.

PS-

Trying to get out, don't wanna jinx it.

Foxcow
01-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Hehe, that was more of a rhetorical question guys.

RAHPilot5
01-04-2009, 07:18 AM
We're not talking about merging United with Air France. It's two crappy airlines, pardon my French, in STL.

no, you are right. Call it what it is. no need to sugarcoat it:cool:

Pilotpip
01-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Ah, the DC who's name is all over the last contract. The guy who fails people based on his interpretation of the SOP which is adjusted accordingly to fail people.

Purpleanga
01-04-2009, 08:53 AM
I agree that people would not take notice should either or both companies ceased operations but I still don't think it is going to happen. Hulas makes a lot of money and he is not going to do anything to hurt profitability. TSA has a pretty awful contract. We are below industry average in just about every area of the contract. g0jet signed a 5.5 year piece of crap contract. Throughout the course of our 29 months or so of negotiations, I can guarantee that the people that negotiate on behalf of management reference gojet hence the whipsaw.

That might be, but how long is Hulas going to get away with stalling the contract before it gets ugly? Right now GJ have to operate separetly because of the AA flying but that is going to end in May. If you have one airline flying 50 seats for United and the other airline flying 70 seats for united, and all the while with contracts that are basically the same except for the CRJ7/ERJ pay rates, what is the point of having two different certificates? If a major has regional flying available is Hulas going to submit two bids for TSA and Gojet? If you say Gojet is the preferable certificate then why not transfer all the flying to GOjet? They said they didn't want to. It just doesn't make any sense, they are delaying the contract until AA flying is dropped so they can offer a merged list.

grossole
01-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Ah, the DC who's name is all over the last contract. The guy who fails people based on his interpretation of the SOP which is adjusted accordingly to fail people.

No..not that DC either.

Pilotpip
01-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Wow, it's been a while.

CaptainCarl
01-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Aw, c'mon...no one gets my obscure Airplane II quote?

I'm trying to find a clip online, but i can't. Elaine talks to Ted about finding a bomb on the shuttle...no? Anyone? Bueller?

:rolleyes: Ah ha. Hahaha, I got it now.

Striker?! Striker?! Striker?! :D

Foxcow
01-04-2009, 10:57 AM
That might be, but how long is Hulas going to get away with stalling the contract before it gets ugly? Right now GJ have to operate separetly because of the AA flying but that is going to end in May. If you have one airline flying 50 seats for United and the other airline flying 70 seats for united, and all the while with contracts that are basically the same except for the CRJ7/ERJ pay rates, what is the point of having two different certificates? If a major has regional flying available is Hulas going to submit two bids for TSA and Gojet? If you say Gojet is the preferable certificate then why not transfer all the flying to GOjet? They said they didn't want to. It just doesn't make any sense, they are delaying the contract until AA flying is dropped so they can offer a merged list.

They probably won't get away with it for as long as they had hoped since an administration that is more labor friendly/not as hostile to labor is coming into office that will make a few token changed that will hopefully make a difference. The TSA and gojet contracts are not similar at all. You can find a copy of the g0jet contract on this site and if you want to, I can email a copy of ours. Both contracts are crap but I would prefer ours. The gojet contract may have higher pay rates but that is made irrelevant buy vauge/weak language in key areas, the lack of workrules, and the local Teamsters union (not the airline division) lack of understanding and inability to enforce things that must be enforced. Couple that with managements complete disregard for anything that does not favor them (labor contracts) and you have one craptastic place to work.

I'll give you an example. Two gojet pilots get into some hot water over something inadvertently while flying. That is understandable because it happens to everyone once in a while. They file an ASAP but it is rejected and they are subsequently fired because the Teamsters local 618 does not show for the meetings. Weather they know they have to show or choose not to show remains a mystery. This happens quite often.

The point of having multiple certificates is advantageous to company and pilots (Republic) but having two different seniority lists with different contracts is only advantageous to management as they can play each pilot group against each other. They can threaten to transfer airplanes to the other certificate to get concessions, etc, etc. Whipsaw.

Purpleanga
01-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Well that's what I'm saying, minus the actual representation, the contracts are not great, both have weak basic work rules. The difference is that the TSA is looking for something better, while GJ still has a few years to go. Obviously a bottom feeder like Hulas will try to win the pilots over by offering more flying by merging the seniority list instead of giving us a fair contract. Maybe I'm just looking at this from a normal business perspective not the airline business perspective. Again if TSA is now the redheaded stepchild they would have transfered all the available flying to Gojet.

CaptainCarl
01-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Wow, it's been a while.

As a Trans States pilot, I feel just like Robin Williams' Live on Broadway interpretation of the U.S. soccer team;

"Thank you for the ball! I got the ball!"

Check it out, you will laugh.

Oh and DC is a training department guy who thinks he knows it all.

Purpleanga
01-04-2009, 11:52 AM
As a Trans States pilot, I feel just like Robin Williams' Live on Broadway interpretation of the U.S. soccer team;

DC the guy with the wife who's also a pilot/instructor? If so that lady made me feel like she was a mafia wife. Be careful he gets angry if you don't know the answers, I hope you know everything. . Way to put me at ease fat ugly woman. The TSA training department is full of losers.

RAHPilot5
01-04-2009, 11:57 AM

and the brazil soccer team do a dance when they have the ball. :)

also

Fukc you americans! come build your disney world in our country...I p!ss on it as I smoke my cigarrette.......why? because I am french.......................

oh sh!t the germans are coming! WE LOVE YOU AMERICANS!

crustacean
01-04-2009, 12:13 PM

As an example...

Ask him about the maximum demonstrated crosswind for the 145 and prepare to be told stories of how you'll be violated and fired for jeopardizing lives, safety, and the company's image(?) for exceeding it.

:rolleyes:

Purpleanga
01-04-2009, 12:16 PM
As an example...

Ask him about the maximum demonstrated crosswind for the 145 and prepare to be told stories of how you'll be violated and fired for jeopardizing lives, safety, and the company's image(?) for exceeding it.

I think that has actually happened. DC has enough seniority in the company for that.

01-04-2009, 12:37 PM
DC is a re-tread, look at his employee number. So while he has squat for seniority, he has experience, a lot more than most of you making comments about him.

DryMotorBoatin
01-04-2009, 01:13 PM
As an example...

That was basically my initial oral. My first answer was correct but then he managed to confuse both of us with his further elaboration. I did some hole diggin on that one. That was my only experience with DC but other than that I thought he was a pretty d--- good check airman.

flynavyj
01-04-2009, 01:31 PM
DC is a re-tread, look at his employee number. So while he has squat for seniority, he has experience, a lot more than most of you making comments about him.

I think everyone here knows that DC has been through the system before. Experience alone however doesn't make up for a drastic need of an attitude adjustment. Anytime you ask your INSTRUCTOR a basic REAL WORLD question, and their response is to say "Well, what I'd do, is follow the GOM. Then I wouldn't get violated." there's a problem. Yet, time and time again, DC has made a habit of harping on things that NEVER happen in line flying, and try to bring those scenarios up as if our suggested actions will be the fall of the aviation profession as it is.

PS

New Chicago hotel = A- or so...An A+ would have us downtown.

But something needs to be done about the Fairfield in Hartford. Moldy Rooms, and i specifically heard the desk clerks arguing, about a pilot wanting a new room, and their management wouldn't approve it, because they won't give us any of the "better" rooms. And they've been doing construction there since before i was at this company.

ehe2
01-04-2009, 04:30 PM
But something needs to be done about the Fairfield in Hartford. Moldy Rooms, and i specifically heard the desk clerks arguing, about a pilot wanting a new room, and their management wouldn't approve it, because they won't give us any of the "better" rooms. And they've been doing construction there since before i was at this company.

Lets add it to the landry list of crappy hotels we stay at...

TBucket
01-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Lets add it to the landry list of crappy hotels we stay at...

Hey, at least we got rid of that craphole in chicago... That's progress...

Salukipilot4590
01-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Hey, at least we got rid of that craphole in chicago... That's progress...

They finally did it?

:tear:

Seriously though...the five or so times I've overnighted there I slept at my (at the time) gf's place.

CaptainCarl
01-04-2009, 09:22 PM

:eek: Oh snap! Defending DC huh? Wait?! Does this mean that the more experience I have, the better line I will get?

:mad: You're saying that DC deserves 16 days off when you are only getting 13? You're saying that even though he is 93 numbers below you, he deserves more than you or anyone senior to him? Is that what you are saying?

Foxcow
01-04-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that he was using an employee number as his username.

But defending the likes of DC... ugh

bryris
01-05-2009, 07:02 AM
I am just going to slice right through this steaming flop and say that DC is a douche. Maybe he's a good pilot, maybe he isn't, but he is not instructor material. Just isn't. Some guys are just not meant to teach. Others are naturals.

Honestly, I never found a natural (maybe, SW....maybe) employed or contracted by TSA. I've found plenty of them in other circles, however. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.

wmupilot69
01-05-2009, 07:43 AM
having flown with him, I can say that he isn't that good. Take away the SOP and he is useless. There is no "command" to him as a capt. I once walked down a jetbridge, thinking it was mine, and I see a full plane and him sitting in the jetbridge talking on his phone. Get on the plane and solve the gd problem.

de727ups
01-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Enough with the character assassination. Feel free to take it to PM's. Thread closed.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1