Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

SkyKing67
02-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Any information would be welcomed.
9K a month with housing and transportation.
Please Help

jet320
02-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Any information would be welcomed.
9K a month with housing and transportation.
Please Help

Not enough info,which company? what base? commute or not?

robbo1
02-24-2009, 05:20 AM
Skyking,

Is this job in Hospet? I was offered a CJ2 job about 6 mths ago and turned it down. PM me if you want.

SkyKing67
02-24-2009, 06:03 AM
The Job was is in Hospet. You get 30 days leave per year. They want me to airline over march 2-6 to meet me. I have a wife and 9 year old daughter. I am wondering about safety for me and my family. The job is for a family.

atpcliff
02-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Hi!

I don't know about that city, specifically. I was looking into a job in Hyderabad, previously.

I think taking the family overseas is the best option. Our friends were reluctant to do it, and leave the US. Once they got there a couple of years, they were mad when they were transferred back to the states.

I think going to an International (usually English speaking school) with kids from all over is a HUGE advantage for your child, especially as our US economy globalizes. Their ability to understand other cultures, hopefully speak at least one other language, and friends they meet from all over are a great benefit to them in their future adult lives.

I know that my kids, just from their N. American travelling experiences, and MUCH well versed that others that stay local here in GRB.

And as for security? I know lots of people think that it is more dangerous living overseas. It depends on what you're comparing it to. Some places overseas are MUCH safer than some places in the US, and some places overseas are much more DANGEROUS than some places in the US.

I used to live in SAV, which had the highest murder rate per capita in the US. Their were about 55 murders for only about 240,000 people in 1992. I know there are locations in most US cities where most pilots would not feel safe walking alone at midnight, and the same goes for overseas.

cliff
GRB

SkyKing67
02-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Please keep it comming

rotorhead1026
02-25-2009, 04:10 AM
The Job was is in Hospet. You get 30 days leave per year. They want me to airline over march 2-6 to meet me. I have a wife and 9 year old daughter. I am wondering about safety for me and my family. The job is for a family.

Cliff's insights are fine. Your opinion may differ once you see the place; I know good people at both ends of the curve. I don't think safety will be an issue; lifestyle might.

If you let us know the company and the terms offered we could give more information, maybe. Some call the place Hosapete; o/w I don't know much about it.

SkyKing67
02-26-2009, 06:03 AM
This is for charter/corporate domestic flying from Hospet which is close to Bangalore, yearly contract renewable, salary around 7/8000usd net of tax ( all Indian tax's paid by the company), housing for two, transport for all duties, recurrency, med validation and all outstation expenses on company account, insurance, leave 30 days in a year, 15 days at a time , tickets to and fro, twice a year if single, once if with wife/friend, good earnings as it is not expensive to live here in India. Please indicate, ASAP.

The guy that I am dealing with is C.B. Menon.
They want me to travel to India the 2 of March thru the 6th of March. They want me to obtain the Visa and Airline ticket. They say they will reimbursed when I land in Hospet.

Any Ideas?

rotorhead1026
02-26-2009, 06:16 AM
I assume a tourist visa for the visit. You need to do that NOW for a March 2nd departure! Follow the instructions on the Travisa website.

I never heard of your agent. The terms look reasonable. It's worth a look.

You can get to Delhi or Mumbai from the US pretty easily (AA, DL, CO), and to Bangalore. I don't know who flies to Hosapete or Bellary.

Good luck.

SkyKing67
02-26-2009, 06:20 AM
I replied to the email and told them "I would be glad to travel to India and meet and interview but they would have to purchase the ticket and send it to me in advance. I am not in position to risk the expense of travel.

Thoughts?

atpcliff
02-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Hi!

I am looking at a job in Nairobi. I am waiting for them to send the ticket now (which is what they say they would do). I would NOT buy a ticket, unless you really also wanted to go there as a tourist, anyway.

If you're desperate, I understand buying the ticket, but then they may think that they can take advantage of you in other ways. If they really want you, they will send a ticket. For a corporate job, I would tell them it had to be Business Class or better, also.

cliff
GRB

rotorhead1026
02-26-2009, 09:38 AM
I replied to the email and told them "I would be glad to travel to India and meet and interview but they would have to purchase the ticket and send it to me in advance. I am not in position to risk the expense of travel.

Reimbursement for the initial trip is pretty much the standard over here. Maybe they'll give way a bit; I don't know. Some people take the ticket and never show up. All I can say is what you posted sounded legit. When I first came over here I thought I was stepping into one of Dr. Hawking's black holes. I understand your concern, but you won't get as far if you don't take some calculated risks. It's up to you ... :)

Capt LOGS
03-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I have spoke with CB Menon before personally and do know people that have gotten jobs here in India through him so he is legit. I would push though for them to pay for the ticket out there. Usually when they need someone, they need them pretty badly and a ticket isn't too much to ask. Get your tourist visa now because it does take a bit of time. Good luck with your employment visa though, I had a bit of trouble getting mine and the next guy over in our company is still having trouble. As for Hospet, I don't know anything but I've been to bangalore numerous times and thats a decent city. But as with all cities, theres good parts and theres really bad. Be prepared for culture shock because it is much much different. If you have any specific questions go ahead and ask. I've been in India for bout 6 months now.

=Jason-

SkyKing67
03-02-2009, 12:15 PM
What are your living conditions. Do you have A/C in your apartment. Have u been sick from the food, climate, or water. Would you bring your wife and 10 year old daughter? if you were me?

Capt LOGS
03-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Yes I have good A/C in my apartment, if you don't demand that they install or fix it. Everyone will get sick at least once, thats how it is. Only drink bottled water, and don't eat food from a street vendor and you should be ok. The food IS different but at least in bangalore there is Pizza hut, dominos, papa johns, mcdonalds, tgif, etc etc. Bring your wife?? Of course, I have my GF here and really I wouldn't have lasted without her. Bring your daughter...well I don't know. yes there will be good schools for her I'm sure, and yes it will be more expensive but driving the CJ2 you should be making decent money at least and you can afford it. Will she like it? Most likely not, I don't think any kid would enjoy a different country like this, not knowing anyone.

Overall, its a whole different place with different customs. In India, A pilot is the MOST respectable job you can get....period. Be expected to be call Captain everywhere, and people jump to their feet to help you... I'm not exaggerating at least at the company where I'm at.

Somethings will suck, other things are awesome...it does take a certain person to beable to withstand certain things here. But the money is fantastic, and the CJ2 should be getting AT LEAST 9k/month with free housing, transportation, flights to the us, cook and driver.

Hope this has helped, if you want me to be more detailed or whatnot just ask or PM me.

=Jason-

rotorhead1026
03-02-2009, 11:36 PM
What are your living conditions. Do you have A/C in your apartment. Have u been sick from the food, climate, or water. Would you bring your wife and 10 year old daughter? if you were me?

Good post above. FWIW, I've never been sick; the only western food I eat is at breakfast.

Bangalore has a good climate - doesn't get as hot since it's at about 3000'. I'm pretty sure there'll be some good school options for your daughter - at least there were in Hyderabad, and Bangalore seems similar in many ways (many expats). She'll make friends and adjust, as will your OAO. Apartment options can vary a lot, but I'm thinking your employer will have something set up for you.

Hepatitis (twinrix for me), Japanese encephalitis, and typhoid vaccinations are recommended. I don't take malaria pills and don't know anyone that does.

The flying, especially ATC, can be interesting. It's been a good experience. I'm going home tomorrow (after two years). Good luck.

3GreenKSNA
03-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Are the companies in India, looking for pilots with time on type?

I'm still doing the CFI thing at a 141 school that has a contract with Air India, yet no hope of getting a job with them. I've got about 1200/200 and considering going into ATC or just about anything other then instructing given the state of the economy. After 15 months I'm getting pretty burned out especially since I need to work 12 hours to make an ok living.

Capt LOGS
03-04-2009, 05:28 AM
Are the companies in India, looking for pilots with time on type?

I'm still doing the CFI thing at a 141 school that has a contract with Air India, yet no hope of getting a job with them. I've got about 1200/200 and considering going into ATC or just about anything other then instructing given the state of the economy. After 15 months I'm getting pretty burned out especially since I need to work 12 hours to make an ok living.

Honestly you would need double your hours to be competive and you HAVE to have 100 hours PIC on whatever type you going to be flying. Its DGCA (indian faa) rules.

=Jason-

Also expats are not allowed to be P2 on any indian registered aircraft.

flynavyj
03-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Out of curiosity, Hospet and Bangalore, don't appear all that close, about 180 miles straight line. Unless there's a different Hospet that was being discussed. And from what you can see in a satellite image, Bangalore appears much more "modern".

Ottopilot
03-05-2009, 07:29 AM
They can buy your ticket easy from there. Don't spend a dime. I'd call that a "red flag". I do recommend going to see India before you commit to a job there. I fly to India and I would never take a job or live there. I don't even want to fly there. You need to see it first hand and make your own choices.

SkyKing67
03-05-2009, 08:11 AM
they say they will provide me with a economy class ticket. I have asked them to get me a business class ticket since the flight is so long. I will fly into Bangalore and take the train to Hospet. I depart on the 16th day of march. Please anyone with any and all information keep it coming.

Capt LOGS
03-06-2009, 05:50 AM
they say they will provide me with a economy class ticket. I have asked them to get me a business class ticket since the flight is so long. I will fly into Bangalore and take the train to Hospet. I depart on the 16th day of march. Please anyone with any and all information keep it coming.

Business class will be nice, better than what I get but really most international flights are pretty decent. DO NOT, I repeate, DO NOT go by trains. All the trains I have gone by are extremely terrible here in India. Have them fly you there.

=Jason-