Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Any flying Job in Bangkok?

BKK4Life
04-06-2009, 05:24 AM
Anyone know of any flying jobs in Bangkok? I've looked around on PPrune and elsewhere and had no luck.

Thanks in advance.

TurboDVR42
04-06-2009, 07:13 AM
I cant help you...
but i am in the same boat as you, would love to work in BKK

Hoof Hearted
04-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Thai airlines only hires Thai nationals. Corporate companies will contract expats, however they usually want you current and qualified in type. Nok Air is not hiring at the moment as is Orient Skies. Good Luck

aviatorhi
04-06-2009, 10:53 PM
By Thai airlines do you mean "Thai Airways" or all Thai airlines.

Also... "Thai nationals" as in born in Thailand/Thai Ethnicity or simply a Citizen of the Kingdom, regardless of their ethnicity?

LostInAsia
04-07-2009, 01:49 AM
By Thai airlines do you mean "Thai Airways" or all Thai airlines.

Also... "Thai nationals" as in born in Thailand/Thai Ethnicity or simply a Citizen of the Kingdom, regardless of their ethnicity?

Good luck getting citizenship...It is an extremely long and difficult process. To start you have to have a Non-Immigrant visa and be in thailand on 3 yearly extensions. In addition, you will need a work permit and to pay taxes to gain permanent resident status. Then you need another 5 years as a permanent resident to qualify for citizenship. As well as be able to speak and read Thai. Very very few people are able to do this as the process is complex, long and difficult.

aviatorhi
04-07-2009, 04:20 AM
Good luck getting citizenship...It is an extremely long and difficult process. To start you have to have a Non-Immigrant visa and be in thailand on 3 yearly extensions. In addition, you will need a work permit and to pay taxes to gain permanent resident status. Then you need another 5 years as a permanent resident to qualify for citizenship. As well as be able to speak and read Thai. Very very few people are able to do this as the process is complex, long and difficult.

There's a few loopholes, for instance being married to a Thai honey would help in that process, like my friend is.

I'm mainly just trying to clarify, ideally I would like to be able to be flying out of Bangkok in the future as I'm in the process of closing on some property there, but I don't even come close to daring to apply at any of the operators down there, not just based on the citizenship clause, but based on me not being competitive enough yet on my times.

LostInAsia
04-07-2009, 05:28 AM
There's a few loopholes, for instance being married to a Thai honey would help in that process, like my friend is.

I'm mainly just trying to clarify, ideally I would like to be able to be flying out of Bangkok in the future as I'm in the process of closing on some property there, but I don't even come close to daring to apply at any of the operators down there, not just based on the citizenship clause, but based on me not being competitive enough yet on my times.

Being married to a Thai only gets you the visa...It does nothing else to help in the process of permanent residency or citizenship. There are neither loopholes nor shortcuts than can be exploited.

There use to be some contract jobs in BKK but they have since gotten rid of all the farangs. There was a 767 startup that hired foreigners that just recently shut down. I don't know of jobs in BKK now and I would not expect any in the near future unless you are Thai.

Zoot Suit
04-07-2009, 06:42 AM
Here is a good place for visa info on Thailand.

Thailand Forum (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/)

I think the closest any of us will get to a cockpit in Thailand would be DC10 bar in NanaPlaza.

BKK4Life
04-07-2009, 09:11 AM
So I guess my best chances are getting on with a carrier that overnight in BKK...... UGH!

fwillette
04-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I saw many eastern europe cargo registered a/c there back in 06, I would look into that but im guessing you need to be type

fw

Typhoonpilot
04-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Your best bet would probably be one of the Korean or Japanese contracts that have monthly commutes. Korean is the best commuting contract. If you chose Bangkok as your domicile you could even get a twice monthly commute roster.

Typhoonpilot

Speed
04-08-2009, 08:00 AM
FWIW, If you're age 50 or over Thailand allows you to own a condo/apartment and you can reside on a longer term visa. I'm guessing you're not in that category yet, BKK4life?

BKK4Life
04-09-2009, 07:33 PM
FWIW, If you're age 50 or over Thailand allows you to own a condo/apartment and you can reside on a longer term visa. I'm guessing you're not in that category yet, BKK4life?

25 more years...:(