Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Porter Airlines Question

naley70b
07-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Anyone know anything about pay, QOL, bases?

Tried finding something on the internet for these guys but didn't see anything.

Any info would be great, i'm really just curious. The product seems really nice, wondering if the lifestyle matches.

Thumbs882
07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
did you try Porter Airlines (http://www.flyporter.com?) look at the site map for careers and such

Flyby1206
07-21-2009, 04:33 PM
I believe all flight crews are based in Toronto (YTZ). The FO I talked to last week said it is 90% day trips.

thepaxman
07-22-2009, 08:33 AM
can't help you with the specifics, but they fly out of Toronto island airport and only fly q400. mainly flights to Ottawa and Montreal. they are privately owned so there isn't really much information out there.

Spoilers
07-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Unless you can get the right to work in Canada, don't even bother...

skidbuggy
07-22-2009, 09:41 AM
They have no problem getting experienced guys/gals in the front end of their Q-400s. They have a number of pilots from Zoom and C3 and other defunct canadian carriers staffing the Porter flight decks. Shake any tree in Canada; ten pilots fall out....

Oh yeah, I forgot to add... a $20,000 training bond prorated over a two year period.

Good luck with your search.

Jetlinker
07-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Directly from their website:

FIRST OFFICER
Duties and Responsibilities:

Safe operation of the aircraft. Qualifications:

Airline Transport Pilot Licence (Transport Canada)
Category I Medical
Current Instrument Rating
Min. 3,000 Hours Total Time
Min. 500 Hours Multi-Engine PIC
Aviation College or University Degree is an asset;
Pilots that do not meet the minimum requirements may be considered based on experience and other factors. Please send your resume to: [email protected]

Leafs Nation
11-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Hi All;

I am writing as an update to Porter as much has changed in the past few years.

Porter flight crew are now based in Halifax and Toronto City Airport (YTZ). The airline operates 24 Q400 aircraft with two more being delivered before the end of November. Generally, the airline is designed around the business traveller with high frequency on each route, complimentary airport lounges in Toronto and Ottawa with complimentary in flight beer, wine and meals as well. Additionally, seasonal service to Myrtle Beach, Mont Tremblant (served from EWR and YTZ) and now Burlington (BTV) is used for leisure golf and ski getaways.

Pairings are a mix of single day pairings through to four day pairings (December will see some five day pairings due to the nature of the month). Pref Bid is used for schedule construction based on senority. As with many airlines, QOL depends on your DOH, however with the rapid expansion the company is currently experiencing it is not long until you are able to hold a desired schedule. Min Guarantee is 85 hours, anything over is paid at 1.5 hourly rate. Plenty of opportunity exists to pick up open flying if one so desires. Ten scheduled days off per month is the minimum however 12 or 13 seems to be the norm for a mid lister.

Training bond and uniform bond no longer exist. Pilot's have no financial obligation to the airline if they chose to move on.

By all accounts, the in flight product is fantastic and passenger reviews are very positive. The airline is heavily equipped at the executive level with years of airline experience amongst the top executives (Chairman of the Board is Don Carty from AA as well as AA's former VP of Operations as the COO).

Overall, a terrific group of employees to work with which is reflected through the service pax see. The flying is quite exciting and keeps you on your toes as the main base is a 3900' runway with a 4.8 degree ILS when landing westbound.

The right to live and work in Canada is required.

The airline is hiring pilots at this time.

If anybody has anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards

VanDriver208
11-13-2011, 01:57 PM
So, if you have a Canadian Commercial license and a Canadian medical, but you are a Yank, what are the chances of getting on there? I've known of a few Americans that have ended up at Canadian carriers.

F9 A319
11-13-2011, 04:56 PM
The right to live and work in Canada is required.

What does "the right to live and work in Canada" entail?

WstCstCmtr
11-13-2011, 06:05 PM
What does "the right to live and work in Canada" entail?
Citizenship, landed immigrant status, work visa.

If you have to ask you probably don't have it.

Leafs Nation
11-14-2011, 03:52 AM
As WstCstCmtr says, citizenship, landed immigrant status, permanent residency or a work visa will give you the right to live and work in Canada. You can go about this in numerous ways. Below is a link to Citizenship and Immigration Canada which outlines the various ways to immigrate to Canada.
Immigrating to Canada (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp)

Additionally, a Transport Canada Airline Transport Pilot License is required however some pilot's have been hired with a Commercial Pilot License. Below is a link to the Transport Canada website which outlines the requirements for pilots wishing to convert their license in order to fly Canadian registered aircraft for hire or reward.

Foreign Applicants - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-personnel-fore-2283.htm)

The pilot group is globally diverse with pilot's from the past and currently employed hailing from Australia, The United States, Europe, South America and Asia.

seaplanenow744
12-18-2011, 12:46 PM
what is the pay at Porter for both F/O and Capt?

Do they hire DECs if u have the time?

thanks in advance !

atpcliff
12-18-2011, 03:39 PM
It is easy to get Canadian licenses with US ones. I was looking into it while based in Africa. My CEO is Canadian, but that didn't help me one bit with getting the right to work in Canada. We would have to have moved to Canada to make it work.

My CEO's best friend just flew on Porter YYZ-MDW-YYZ. She said it was fantastic. My CEO and kids R flying in a week...same route...and looking forward to it. We have flown on ATR 42s/72s before, and liked them a LOT better than the 50/70 seat RJs. My CEO is hoping she will like the Q400 at least as well as the ATRs. My buddy who flies the Q says it is very nice for the pilots.

cliff
CLE
PS-I LUV YYZ...think it is a fantastic place to live....and Halifax, although small, seemed also very nice when we visited this year for the 1st time. My kids want to go back ASAP (we were there in Jul....).

skidbuggy
12-20-2011, 04:02 AM
what is the pay at Porter for both F/O and Capt?

Do they hire DECs if u have the time?

thanks in advance !

Starting pay if I recall is around 41-43k your first year for F/Os. I don't recall what Captains make. There are no more DECs and there haven't been any for awhile.

Leaf's Nation is spot on with his info on the company.

Now if "K" would only answer the phone.....

galaxy flyer
12-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Atpcliff

Where do you get the idea a TC license is easy to get with an FAA ATP? I'm doing it now--write an exam for TC on differences, one for the radio license; a $500 medical including hearing test; take a PPC within thirty days of completing a recurrent training program. The process takes about four months, if everything falls into place.

GF