Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

ERJ Jay
10-03-2009, 10:37 AM
CAL EWR LEC Magenta Line Sat, 10 3, 09 pt 4

Item 12: Chairman’s Editorial

I have several items I want to discuss this week. First, I have been contacted by a few of our senior-most captains, most of whom fly the B777. There appears to be a group of our senior pilots who feel they are not adequately represented by me as their Captain Representative or our union as a whole. The reason they feel this way is they see few if any senior (top two hundred seniority number or lower) in our union leadership or in any key committee positions. They believe that their issues are not being adequately addressed by our union, either at present or in Contract ‘08 negotiations.

I have committed to meet personally with these pilots and listen to their concerns and provide an avenue for open and straight forward dialog. I want to assure you, as your elected representative, that I will bring these issues to our MEC. I take my responsibility as your Captain Representative very seriously and do not take lightly the fact that I am accountable to all EWR Captains—from the most senior to the most junior. I do my best to ensure each and every voice is well represented at the MEC table.

I also want to remind all of our pilots that our next Local Council Meeting is scheduled on October 28th from 11 am to 3 pm at the Newark Renaissance Hotel. The agenda was purposely kept short so that there will be an adequate amount of time for new business. During new business, you can present resolutions and/or motions directing your elected representatives. You can also ask questions of your LEC Officers or simply speak your mind. Under the ALPA structure the Local Council meeting is the most appropriate venue to have your individual voice heard. Due to our growing attendance at Local Council Meetings, we have increased the size of our meeting room dramatically. Additionally, I would also strongly encourage anyone wanting to communicate your concerns with our MEC to participate in speaker’s corner. Speaker’s corner is held every day during our MEC meetings in Houston and is normally scheduled directly after lunch.

I want to thank Captain Ed Neffinger for stepping up and volunteering to oversee the development of our new LC 170 website. Ed will be working directly with our LC 170 Communications Chairman, First Officer Beau Brant and Vice Chairman, First Officer Mike Shapiro in completing our new website. I ask again for your patience as we wait for our new website to be completed. I promise you it will be well worth the wait. In the meantime, Beau has reactivated the link to the old LC 170 website and it will remain active until the new website comes on-line. If you have any suggestions for the new website, please e-mail Beau at [email protected]

Have you had a hard time getting ahold of your LEC Officers? OK, I have to admit I haven’t been doing the best job keeping up with the massive amounts of e-mails I receive on a daily basis. Unfortunately, in doing this job there are always many important crises that arise on a daily basis that need immediate attention. While dealing with these issues, the e-mails still arrive at a never-ending rate and what you hoped to answer later is pushed down several pages on the ALPA e-mail server. Yes, unfortunately some do go unanswered. If I haven’t responded to your e-mail I sincerely apologize, and again, moving forward, I will strive to do a much better job. If you haven’t received a timely response please send again, and certainly don’t be shy. Also, I suggest you be somewhat creative and eye-catching in your e-mail subject line. Most importantly, if you need to get ahold of any of us, pick up the phone and CALL US! That is why we publish our phone numbers in each and every Magenta Line. I promise you I do a far better job returning phone calls then I do in the answering e-mail department. If you didn’t get a timely e-mail response or you have anything important you need to bring to our attention, call us—we’re here for you.

In closing, this week’s Magenta Line made me realize that our airline is returning to its Lorenzo-like roots. Unfortunately, it appears that our airline has come full circle back to the horrific and terrible airline I came to work for in 1987. Our senior and middle management have single-handedly squandered the industry leading product they were handed by Mr. Bethune and have turned us into the airline you’re ashamed to admit you work for. Say what you want about Mr. Bethune, Captain McLean, et al, at least they were good airline operations people, far better than the bean counters and lawyers now sitting on Smith Street. However, judging by their greed, arrogance and incompetence, our current management doesn’t even have the slightest clue—or want one, either.

“WARNING: You have chosen to set your yearly vacation election to 35 days for the 2010 vacation year. No days will be available to you as Monthly Bid Vacation.”—Yeah, yeah, we got it the first time.

Captain Jayson Baron, EWR Council 170 Chairman

First Officer Tara Cook, EWR Council 170 Vice Chairman

Captain Kaye Riggs, EWR Council 170 Secretary-Treasurer

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1