Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Danger Close
10-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Budi Soehardi is a Captain with Singapore Airlines. He has dedicated himself to running an orphanage of 47 children in West Timor. Unfortunately, Budi's contract with SIA is not going to be renewed next month and he will be laid off. The grand prize for winning is $100,000USD and I'm sure Budi will use it wisely. Let's help a fellow aviator

CNN Heroes - Ordinary People Extraordinary Impact - Special Reports from CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cnn.heroes/index.html)

Hoof Hearted
10-09-2009, 03:43 PM
I too saw that clip on CNN and will certainly cast my vote for him. It really is refreshing to see and also strikes a chord withins ones self wondering if we do enough for each other.

caflyer
10-10-2009, 09:58 AM
What an inspriration!!

Let's hope that we can help him get the votes - and that he'll have an opportunity to keep flying.
He has been very well known in SIA for this wonderful work that he and his wife have been carrying out for quite some time.

caflyer

EYBusdriver
10-11-2009, 08:31 AM
He got mine.

udaman
10-14-2009, 08:03 PM
They should sticky this on each forum to help one of our own.

Zoot Suit
10-15-2009, 06:22 AM
He's got my vote. I'm just hoping Obama don't win this one too!!!! :rolleyes:

GreenTailWhale
10-15-2009, 04:34 PM
my vote as well

B757200ER
10-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Obama wins everything, by default; the world loves him.

12th Man
11-01-2009, 04:22 PM
But I voted for Brad Blauser; more so for the good will he's spread in Iraq than for any other reason. And if ever there's a place that needs good will, it's Iraq.

Readback
11-02-2009, 04:38 AM
What an inspriration!!

Let's hope that we can help him get the votes - and that he'll have an opportunity to keep flying.
He has been very well known in SIA for this wonderful work that he and his wife have been carrying out for quite some time.

caflyer
Let this send a message to all of you who are considering contract pilot jobs at SIA (or any other carrier).

You are a hired gun and it doesn't matter how long you have been there, or how good a pilot you are, when the downturn comes, you are the first to go. If your contract comes up for renewal, it will not be renewed.

Other than that, enjoy the ride!

Sorry for the thread creep.

detpilot
11-02-2009, 06:15 AM
He's got my vote. I'm just hoping Obama don't win this one too!!!! :rolleyes:

At least we don't have to worry about Bush winning it... ;)

captjns
11-02-2009, 06:28 AM
Let this send a message to all of you who are considering contract pilot jobs at SIA (or any other carrier).

You are a hired gun and it doesn't matter how long you have been there, or how good a pilot you are, when the downturn comes, you are the first to go. If your contract comes up for renewal, it will not be renewed.

While I'm sure his work will continue, airlines abroad don't mix apples and oranges. Pilots, be them direct employed, or contract, are pilots, and that's it.

Off the property they are whom ever they be... as long as it does not bring bad publicity to the company... and that's it too.

As they say... it's not personal... it's only business.

Take a look at what JAL has done to it's long time expat crews.

LostInAsia
11-02-2009, 07:15 AM

While that may be true, the time I have spent as a contract pilot have been the best of my career. I have been treated better than I could have ever dreamed of if I had stayed at any US airline. I know I am the first to go and I think you will find that most contract guys understand that.

But really...Look at US Air. How far back are the furloughs going now? 1999? 10 years seniority gets you furloughed. What kind of job security is that? United???

And to be honest, most of the guys that were on contract terms at SIA were offered local terms a while back and didn't take them. If you are making substantially more than local guys, you really can't blame them for letting you go first when times get tight can you?

Readback
11-02-2009, 10:32 AM
While that may be true, the time I have spent as a contract pilot have been the best of my career. I have been treated better than I could have ever dreamed of if I had stayed at any US airline. I know I am the first to go and I think you will find that most contract guys understand that.

But really...Look at US Air. How far back are the furloughs going now? 1999? 10 years seniority gets you furloughed. What kind of job security is that? United???

And to be honest, most of the guys that were on contract terms at SIA were offered local terms a while back and didn't take them. If you are making substantially more than local guys, you really can't blame them for letting you go first when times get tight can you?
I don't blame them at all. What a great deal. Hire experienced pilots as temporary help and they are the first to go.

The reason for my post was not for those of us who have participated and understand the system with eyes wide open, rather, it was for those who see the contract job as some garden of eden with job security and a long lasting career at a single airline.

It may work out that way, it may not. The important thing is that you understand what you are getting into before you sign on the dotted line.

Good luck, enjoy the ride!

captjns
11-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I can't think of any contract pilot who has had a sip of the security kook-aide when it comes to contract flying. As a contract pilot, your next flight may very well be your last flight with a particular contract.

It does not make a difference if the agency is PARC, Rishworth, Direct Personel, etal... nor does it make a difference of the airline the contract pilot is assigned to such as JAL, SAI, Air India etal. Most reputable contracting agencies will not hide that a contract is only as good as the airline you are flying for is willing to honor it.

Expat flying is a great deal different than flying for a US carrier. As a contractor, essentially you are self employed. Working for a union carrier, you are at the mercy of management and also the MECs who allegedly have their membership's interest at heart.

The best choice I made was some 20 years ago, left majors, and became an expat. Much better pay overall, better medical benefits, and far greater in the retirement fund. Yeah I know… tomorrow may be my last day of flying with the airline I am assigned to but that’s the way it goes.