Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : CFI Overseas

jsfBoat
10-15-2009, 05:31 PM
I was wondering if they're any opportunities to go overseas and instruct, I'm willing to go almost any where, and just want a change of scenery. I have just under 400 hours TT, and some foreign language skills. I've looked, but haven't found anything for FAA CFI positions overseas. Thanks.

Typhoonpilot
10-15-2009, 07:26 PM
There have been opportunities in China, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE over the last few years. I think they want a little more time though. Jetcareers has some threads on it in their foreign section.

Typhoonpilot

Tweet46
10-15-2009, 11:56 PM
You could also try military aero clubs. Not sure you could make enough to live on though.

captjns
10-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Try Korean Airlines. They have a dedicated flight school for their own ab-initio pilots. Their equipment ranges from singles to, I think, a Citation for jet transition training. Risworth Aviation, a pilot recruiting agency may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Remember, however, a work visa will be required no matter what country you wish to work in.

Good luck.

Hacker15e
10-16-2009, 01:54 AM
There are several contractors looking for CFIs over in Iraq for the IZAF. Pay is in the high $200s.

Tweet46
10-16-2009, 05:10 AM
There are several contractors looking for CFIs over in Iraq for the IZAF. Pay is in the high $200s.

Unfortunately the OP's time wont meet the requirements. I know of only one contractor doing basic FW flight instruction in Iraq...and to be competive with them you must be a former mil UPT/Primary flight instructor.

Cheers,
Tweet

nicholasblonde
10-16-2009, 07:21 AM
I was wondering if they're any opportunities to go overseas and instruct, I'm willing to go almost any where, and just want a change of scenery. I have just under 400 hours TT, and some foreign language skills. I've looked, but haven't found anything for FAA CFI positions overseas. Thanks.

I have the link to KAL's ab initio flight school somewhere on my failsafe fallback list of job links, but I can't find it. Just google something like "Korean Aerospace University" or something like that.

The best Military Aero Club for an FAA Flight Instructor is Coleman Aero Club in Mannheim, Germany. Foreign language skills not required, as you're teaching 98% active duty and SOFA US civilians on base. I don't have first hand experience with them, but I've heard you set your own rate, and must have a SOFA (status) card to be there legally. I.e. get a Part-Time civilian job (there are ones ranging from Taco Bell on base to bartending at an oc or bowling alley--usajobs.com or CHRA or AAFES job search).

They are N-reg Cessnas, not sure if they have a need for CFIs in the current climate (they probably have former instructors furloughed from RJ jobs here). Who knows. All I know is it's the best deal in all of Continental Europe on a 172 or 152--the second you touch a German plane or German fuel, you're going to pay 300% more!!!

Let me know how it works out...

rotorhead1026
10-17-2009, 08:59 AM
We don't need the KKK here at all, obviously. I reported the post - hopefully going through channels will solve the problem.

USMCFLYR
10-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Mod note:

Forum members. The correct way to handle a situation like this is too report the post and let the admins/mods take action on the post. Do not comment on the post and continue to quote the material that you are reporting in the first place.

USMCFLYR

jsfBoat
10-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Did I say something wrong? I am currently in the Army reserves, so I'll see if I can take a break for a while. I found out Hong kong aviation club, might be good to work there since I'm wanting to fly for CX anyways. I'll look into korea.

cashcow
10-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Rabigh Wings Flight School :: مدرسة أجنحة رابغ للطيران (http://www.rabighwings.com/) I think has been looking.

http://www.rabighwings.com/jobdescription.php?id=13

Tweet46
10-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Did I say something wrong? I am currently in the Army reserves, so I'll see if I can take a break for a while. I found out Hong kong aviation club, might be good to work there since I'm wanting to fly for CX anyways. I'll look into korea.

Not you JSF...just someone on crack. All posts and responses to that individual were deleted, and rightfully so.

floridaCFII
10-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Rabigh Wings Flight School :: مدرسة أجنحة رابغ للطيران (http://www.rabighwings.com/) I think has been looking.

Rabigh Wings Flight School (http://www.rabighwings.com/jobdescription.php?id=13)

I did a series of e-mail interviews with these guys over the summer. The guy who was interviewing me seemed very nice and gave me lots of info, but suddenly left due to "management changes". He told me there were mgmt issues there, but they might be looking this fall.

I also saw posted either here or the other forum that there have been problems with mx over there, lots of broken planes, etc.

The contract package is/was VERY good as far as pay in concerned, but it sounds like there may be some downsides too.

savagegrace86
11-29-2009, 04:14 AM
I agree with the above post, what I've also heard from a couple of people in the know is that if you instruct in Korea, you can also get a side job as an English teacher either at the FBO, or at some nearby local academy. I've heard the total combined compensation can be as high as $35,000 to 55,000, which isn't bad a for a CFI gig. Keep in mind, you'll get paid around $27,000 if you're lucky, starting out in one of the part 141 FBO's in the states, which is what I'm getting paid, hence my desire to also go overseas looking for CFI jobs. :D

HudsonHawk
02-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Sorry, does anyone know, can an FAA CFI provide pt 61 flight instruction in a non-N-registered aircraft and not in the US ?

captjns
02-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Sorry, does anyone know, can an FAA CFI provide pt 61 flight instruction in a non-N-registered aircraft and not in the US ?

As long as you are not acting as PIC, nor making any endorsements in the student's log book.