Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Class 1, 2, and 3 requirements

surreal1221
06-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Okay guys,

If someone could provide me with a link, or the reference in the FARs that would tell me straight up what is required for each these medicals.

I'm going to be looking for an AME here in a couple of weeks for a class 3, but I'll be moving to a part 141 school eventually (next Spring), so I'm wondering if I should just find an AME who can check me out for a Class 1 medical so I don't have to get two medical checks within one year, simply to upgrade.

What I want to know is vision, hearing, etc, everything that is required for the medicals. Did a search and didn't come up with the answers I was seeking.

Greatly appreciated.

LAfrequentflyer
06-20-2006, 05:34 PM
http://www.leftseat.com/FAAforms.htm

Get a 1st class...

-LAFF

surreal1221
06-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Mucho gracias!

surreal1221
06-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Okay, another question

How long does a Class 1 remain a class 1, before it is dropped down to a Class 2 and then a Class 3. Does this transition from a Class 1 to a Class 3 eventually void an ATP holder's ability to act as PIC if they are no longer within their Class 1 window, but have fallen down to Class 3.

I guess my question is this, simply put. If a Class 1 is valid for only 6 months, what happens to an ATP rated pilot after that 6 months when it becomes a Class 2? Do they have to go get another evaluation to get it bumped back up to a Class 1?

If it's confusing, I can re-word it. . . it's 3am, so . . . sorry.

tomgoodman
06-27-2006, 04:53 AM
A Class 1 is good for 6 months, then degrades to a Class 2 for another 6 months. Even if one is not yet a PIC, it's best to get a Class 1 and never let it lapse. A former FAA Regional Chief AME told me that if some "close-call" medical condition should arise, they are more likely to renew an existing Class 1 than to upgrade a Class 2 to a Class 1.

surreal1221
06-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Okay, so every 6 months. . . it's going to be anywhere from 100-120 dollars or more in some areas, simply to renew the Class 1? Sounds like an absolute waste of money, especially at the rate of every 6 months.

HSLD
06-27-2006, 01:24 PM
FAA medical standards and requirements (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=d323cd7595f7bf9a1aeb79bd99ac1f2a&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.5&idno=14)

av8r88
06-27-2006, 05:09 PM
A Class 1 is good for 6 months, then degrades to a Class 2 for another 6 months. Even if one is not yet a PIC, it's best to get a Class 1 and never let it lapse. A former FAA Regional Chief AME told me that if some "close-call" medical condition should arise, they are more likely to renew an existing Class 1 than to upgrade a Class 2 to a Class 1.

A class 1 doesn't "lapse." Even at 35 months it's still a class 1 medical, but with class 3 priviledges. When you go to get a renewal there's no "upgrading" if you want a class 1 again.

surreal1221
06-27-2006, 05:28 PM
A class 1 doesn't "lapse." Even at 35 months it's still a class 1 medical, but with class 3 priviledges. When you go to get a renewal there's no "upgrading" if you want a class 1 again.

Okay.

August of 06. . . I get a Class I.

When will I have to go get it renewed? And How much, on average, will it cost to renew it back to a Class I?

av8r88
06-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Okay.

August of 06. . . I get a Class I.

When will I have to go get it renewed? And How much, on average, will it cost to renew it back to a Class I?

youll need to get a new first class exam at the end of January '07 to keep the first class privileges, but why do that? It's good to know you can GET one, but unless something major happens that shouldnt change. Just wait the 36 months for the medical to expire and get whatever class your status requires. An exam for a first class medical always costs the same, no matter how many times you've already had one.

surreal1221
06-27-2006, 08:30 PM
youll need to get a new first class exam at the end of January '07 to keep the first class privileges, but why do that? It's good to know you can GET one, but unless something major happens that shouldnt change. Just wait the 36 months for the medical to expire and get whatever class your status requires. An exam for a first class medical always costs the same, no matter how many times you've already had one.

So the poor 35 year old Left seat ATP holding major airline flying pilot, has to pay for this every 6 months. That's sad.

tomgoodman
06-27-2006, 08:54 PM

And in another post:

cool. i'm starting embry riddle this fall...

I think I'd go with the former FAA regional chief AME's opinion on this matter. ;)

av8r88
06-27-2006, 09:07 PM
And in another post:

I think I'd go with the former FAA regional chief AME's opinion on this matter. ;)

you probably misunderstood him. Does that heading at the top of your medical magically change from "first" on down as time passes? No. It's still a first class medical, but with reduced (2nd, 3rd class) privileges if not renewed in time. In your next first class medical exam you're not "upgrading" anything.

surreal1221
06-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Which is my point, it's a Class 1, but you can only excersise Class III priv. by month 35. . . Being employeed as a left seat ATP'r, you'd have to get it renewed every 6 months (correct?). Ridiculous in my book.

av8r88
06-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Which is my point, it's a Class 1, but you can only excersise Class III priv. by month 35. . . Being employeed as a left seat ATP'r, you'd have to get it renewed every 6 months (correct?). Ridiculous in my book.

Correct. Maybe the company pays for it.

surreal1221
06-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Correct. Maybe the company pays for it.

Ah ahah! Now we are getting somewhere. Sorry for dragging you guys through this, but this is what I am looking for.

Is this an out of pocket expense for the flyer? Or does the carrier (his employeer, who requires him to have an ATP and Class 1) front the cost?

tomgoodman
06-27-2006, 10:09 PM
you probably misunderstood him.

No, he was quite clear in his advice. But do as you wish, and good luck in school.

..does the carrier...front the cost?

Some do, some don't. Check your pilot working agreement. If you have to pay, it should be an employee business expense for tax purposes, along with union dues, uniforms, etc.

av8r88
06-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Just look on the back of the medical...

"Unless reversed or otherwise limited in duration, this certificate (...) becomes valid for the time limits specified below.

a. FIRST-CLASS -- 6 calendar months for those operations requiring a First-Class Medical Certificate; 12 calendar months for those operations requiring only a Second-Class Medical Certificate; or 24 or 36 months, (...) for those operations requiring only a Third-Class Medical Certificate.

b. SECOND CLASS -- 12 calendar months for those operations requiring only a Second-Class Medical Certificate; or 24 or 36 months, (...), for those operations requiring only a Third-Class Medical Certificate.

c. THIRD CLASS -- 24 or 36 months, (...), for those operations requiring only a Third-Class Medical Certificate."

Clearly indicates that the certificate remains the same class it was issued as for its entire 24- or 36-month duration. However, the range of operations for which it is valid decreases as time expires, down through 2nd and 3rd class privileges. If it was originally issued as such, you'd still have a first-class medical at the end of the 36 (or 24) months, and there is nothing to be upgraded in your next exam. Your AME's advice was misleading, if he truly said otherwise. Anyone can be mistaken. This is just one of those rare cases when it isn't me. :p

tomgoodman
06-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Your AME's advice was misleading, if he truly said otherwise. Anyone can be mistaken. This is just one of those rare cases when it isn't me. :p

I'll be sure to pass along your correction of his ignorance. He will be grateful, as will your instructors at Embry-Riddle when you similarly oblige them. :rolleyes:

av8r88
06-27-2006, 10:39 PM
I'll be sure to pass along your correction of his ignorance. He will be grateful, as will your instructors at Embry-Riddle when you similarly oblige them. :rolleyes:

This isn't MY correction. An equally reliable source explained it to me in similar terms. Should I name him? Why bother... This is the internet, and I can make anything up, right? The bottom line is, using reasonably developed powers of comprehension and interpretation of exactly what's provided on the certificate, there can be only the result I described. Nowhere is there any mention of a class change; only a privilege change within the class of original issuance, based on time elapsed.

By the way, all my Embry Riddle posts are flame bait. Just between you and me.