Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : British Airways set to Strike

DWN3GRN
12-14-2009, 09:27 AM
British Airways cabin crew set Christmas strike - Worldnews.com (http://article.wn.com/view/2009/12/14/British_Airways_cabin_crew_set_Christmas_strike/)

FlyinSunset1
12-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Travelers face chaos as BA crews vote to strike - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2009/BUSINESS/12/14/ba.cabin.crew.ballot/index.html)

BoredwLife
12-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Oh to live in a country where you really are free.

Must be nice.

stoki
12-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Good for them.

Good luck to all at BA in their quest to retain their terms and conditions.

Nice to see them fighting for what they deserve, when all the company wants to do is shaft labor, and continue to reduce pay and conditions within the company. A worldwide event for a good last few years. Maybe one day the downward spiral of the industry and flight jobs will recover.

Too bad you don't see any of this type of stuff states side. Sad.

pokey9554
12-14-2009, 01:51 PM
People have risked a lot more for a lot less. If we only had unity.

FlyingViking
12-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Just Brilliant !

Now, those of us who flies UK - US frequently MUST back these fellas up. No extra flights to be performed by any of us. Watch out everyone.

captjns
12-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Just Brilliant !

Now, those of us who flies UK - US frequently MUST back these fellas up. No extra flights to be performed by any of us. Watch out everyone.

As AA and BA are in bed together, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

SomedayRJ
12-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Good luck.

oneworld can't get a break. SLL (Finnair's pilots union, a member of IFALPA) went on strike last month for a few days too. Nasty business, lots of folks kicking around Helsinki with no airplanes to ride on. Their ramp folks (Northport, I think) are getting ready to strike too.

Iflyforcash
12-15-2009, 02:07 PM
When is our turn ?????????????????????????????????????

KoruPilot
12-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Good idea to strike when your company is about to go bankrupt?

Blackbird
12-15-2009, 02:36 PM
I hope the BA guys get that Open Skies flying back?

dashtrash300
12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Fantastic! I am glad one airline out there has the guts to show management who moves the planes. I feel bad for the nearly 1 million people but employees can only take so much. 12 days....make it a full 2 weeks!

captjns
12-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Fantastic! I am glad one airline out there has the guts to show management who moves the planes. I feel bad for the nearly 1 million people but employees can only take so much. 12 days....make it a full 2 weeks!

Don't forget, Amerijet pilots had a set of balls during Labor Day too.

dashtrash300
12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Don't forget, Amerijet pilots had a set of balls during Labor Day too.

Very true!

bubi352
12-15-2009, 05:15 PM
In the middle of Christmas vacation? That's going to show management a lesson. Only in Europe - The land of the real free people :)

olympic
12-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Only in Europe - The land of the real free people :)

SO TRUE ......

DWN3GRN
12-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Anyone know how long they've been in negotiations.

BoredwLife
12-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Anyone know how long they've been in negotiations.

3 days... :D

captjns
12-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Well... at least they'll be the greenest airline in the red... Merry Christmas:D.

DYNASTY HVY
12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Good idea to strike when your company is about to go bankrupt?
Not really but then again live and learn as they say.

Ally

KoruPilot
12-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Nice thing about being a contract pilot, I have learned to pick my battles and still make a good paycheck.

Excuse my candor, but as many of these FA's at BA currently make more than your average regional pilot (however not a one has gone through what pilots do to get one of the worst paying entry level professions on the planet), I just do not have a whole lot of sympathy.

I really hope this whole thing works out without the 'Unite' people ruining a lot of sacrifice made by a lot of people. Just because there has been much wrong inflicted on us in the industry in the last few years, doesn't make every stand against management right, or smart for that matter.

But that's just me.

captjns
12-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Nice thing about being a contract pilot, I have learned to pick my battles and still make a good paycheck.

Bingo! You broke the code. I've been ex-patting around the globe for the past 20 years and loving every day of it. No need to get involved with company politics or management issues. It's also easier to bail out if things get too dicey and move on. Much better control of pay, benefits and retirement funding too. While we may bounce around from contract to contract every 3 to 5 years, at least we don't have to deal with the hardships of pay cuts, termination of retirement benefits, and inferior health care plans.

Not really but then again live and learn as they say.

Sometimes tuition comes at a very steep price.

Golden Bear
12-17-2009, 07:14 AM
December 18, 2009

Court Halts Holiday Strike at British Airways
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LONDON (AP) — Britain’s High Court has granted British Airways an emergency injunction to stop a 12-day strike by its cabin crew over the Christmas and New Year’s break.

Thursday’s ruling will be a relief to about million travelers whose plans were threatened by the walkout, which had been scheduled to start Tuesday.

The court has backed British Airway’s claim that the ballot of around 13,000 workers by the Unite labor union was illegal because it included members no longer employed by the airline.

That means Unite must call off the strike. It can hold another ballot, but not until after Christmas.

Airhoss
12-17-2009, 08:30 AM
So much for all of that European uber freedom.

bubi352
12-17-2009, 12:36 PM
You think they care about what the court says? Just wait...

KoruPilot
12-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Yea right. . . all talk until the cost of an illegal strike is made apparent, and you can bet it would cost the union millions.

Have you been at the restaurant table when the bill arrives with a full crew there? If you have then I don't need to explain.

But, as you said, we'll just wait, I've certainly been wrong before. I just hope that they, for once, keep in mind everybody they are affecting.

olympic
12-17-2009, 08:23 PM
So much for all of that European uber freedom.

Υοu have no idea ;)