Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Panda Express

drftddgr
01-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Panda Express is a registered trademark of the Panda Restaurant Group, Inc. I wonder if the FDX CEO/company has the proper permission to use the name regarding the airlift of pandas. Panda could sue for use of their intellectual material.

Dadof6
01-30-2010, 02:37 PM
We're FedEx--we can get a waiver for that! :D

FR8Hauler
01-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Are the golden boys coming out to fly them again?

Jetjok
01-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Panda Express is a registered trademark of the Panda Restaurant Group, Inc. I wonder if the FDX CEO/company has the proper permission to use the name regarding the airlift of pandas. Panda could sue for use of their intellectual material.

It looks like Panda Restaurant Group may have ties to China. If not, it still is in the business of selling Chinese food in the American marketplace. With that in mind, do you really think that they would mind FedEx calling that flight "The Panda Express"? Besides, I don't think that Panda could sue, because after all, they're just cute furry black and white bears.:D

But speaking of airlifting animals on FedEx jets, does anyone know if we're still transporting all those cute little beagles from the states over to Japan, so that the Japanese can use them as guinea pigs? You know, the dogs that have had their vocal cords cut so that they can't scream. I hope not, but I'd certainly not bet on it.

At least Tai Shan, the young male panda is going home to get laid. But I am concerned because a panda conservation group decided he should become part of their breeding program, according to Acting Zoo Director Steve Monfort. "While we're very, very sad Tai Shan is leaving, we take enormous pride that he is a normal, healthy cub," Monfort said. Which probably means that he'll be more interested in listening to his iPod and surfing the web on his iPhone, than he will be in gratuitous sex. Oh well, the problems of youth.:D

JJ

bleedairpacks
01-30-2010, 05:35 PM
corp is using the 4a2b money to buy limited permission of the copyright name for our ferry flights.

frozenboxhauler
01-30-2010, 10:48 PM

between the golden boys and the pathfinders, I'm sure that the pandas will be just fine.
fbh

Busdrivr
01-31-2010, 06:05 AM

I believe they may be required to. Isn't that flight going to be over 16 hours?

hyperone
01-31-2010, 06:06 AM

I understand BG and PC are the two captains on the flight. A little different from the standard JAX afternoon out-and-back.:rolleyes:

BoxFlyer
01-31-2010, 07:30 AM
Fly it now, grieve it later! Relax, it's FedEx.

MaydayMark
02-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Do US born pandas have to learn Chinese?

Chinese language tutor sought for US-born panda - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Chinese-language-tutor-sought-apf-1778623192.html?x=0&.v=1)

AtcDude
02-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Any idea when they are leaving MEM??

MaydayMark
02-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Any idea when they are leaving MEM??

KIAD non-stop to China tomorrow (I think?).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2010/01/28/GA2010012803592.html?hpid=moreheadlines

AtcDude
02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Should have asked better. They stop in Atlanta first to pick up Mei Lan. Just curious as to when they are leaving MEM to ATL.

30 From Bottom
02-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Should have asked better. They stop in Atlanta first to pick up Mei Lan. Just curious as to when they are leaving MEM to ATL.

Flt 9750:
MEM 4:17am arrives ATL 6:44am
ATL 8:14am to IAD 9:50
IAD 11:50am to China (CTU) 4:19pm...15.5 hr flt

AtcDude
02-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Thank you!!

Flightmech
02-04-2010, 05:55 AM
9750/04 (N850FD) Currently en-route ATL-IAD. Then scheduled for the IAD-CTU leg at 1650 today. No surprises whose up front for that leg!

AFW_MD11
02-04-2010, 06:26 AM
9750/04 (N850FD) Currently en-route ATL-IAD. Then scheduled for the IAD-CTU leg at 1650 today. No surprises whose up front for that leg!

nice of the company to roll out a couple of corporate jet deadheads for these guys to get to IAD

woulda been sweet to have them be scheduled to DH from MEM on an RJ through ORD or CLT - in coach!! :eek:

Booyakasha!
02-04-2010, 06:59 AM

More ego onboard than Jet A.

nice of the company to roll out a couple of corporate jet deadheads for these guys to get to IAD

woulda been sweet to have them be scheduled to DH from MEM on an RJ through ORD or CLT - in coach!! :eek:

Oh the horror!

990Convair
02-04-2010, 08:44 AM
You'll have to pardon me, I don't do this often, especially this large....

WHO FREAKING CARES!!!!!!!!

Why do I give a hoot about two Pandas flying in an EMPTY 777 15.5 hours on our dime when the company continues to rake the dough in via 4a2b?

MaydayMark
02-04-2010, 09:53 AM
China-Bound "FedEx Panda Express" Takes Flight from Washington, D.C. with Precious Cargo on Board - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ChinaBound-FedEx-Panda-bw-412055570.html?x=0&.v=1)

Track flight here:

FlightAware > Federal Express Corporation #9750 (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX9750)

KnightFlyer
02-04-2010, 10:24 AM
They even did the 2 water spraying arches for the plane's departure!

Gallery | Panda Mei Lan flies out of Atlanta | accessatlanta.com (http://projects.accessatlanta.com/gallery/view/entertainment/mei-lan-panda-leaves/)

Kooky
02-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Aint it nice, paint a plane, fly it for free while keeping up the farce that 4A2b is still needed so they can use OUR money to pay for it all.

Dracma
02-04-2010, 01:49 PM

I heard the catering for the flight is bourbon chicken with choice of rice or noodles and a fortune cookie.

MaydayMark
02-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Photos: Boeing 777-FS2 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/FedEx-Express/Boeing-777-FS2/1647945/M/&sid=e8892f5e630d3e56878b77871820e390)

viperdriver
02-05-2010, 02:34 PM
The way the stock went down today I thought we killed the pandas.

AFW_MD11
02-05-2010, 02:55 PM

you mean the last two days in a row?

990Convair
02-05-2010, 03:37 PM

The "FedEx Panda Express" Departs for China | FedEx Multimedia Center (http://mediacenter.fedex.designcdt.com/node/435)

By the look of the double rotation at the end of this vid, the pandas almost heard a "thump" in the dark. Or maybe it's an optical illusion.

Jetjok
02-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Looked like a normal rotation and takeoff to me. But then again, what do I know.

JJ

kronan
02-05-2010, 07:15 PM
It's advertising.
Granted, when working for a company that's a verb, how much advertising is needed sure is debatable. But good press is better than bad press.

Nitefrater
02-05-2010, 08:01 PM
The "FedEx Panda Express" Departs for China | FedEx Multimedia Center (http://mediacenter.fedex.designcdt.com/node/435)

3 suits in uniforms... who'da thunk it?

iarapilot
02-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Gotta look like pilots!

Gunter
02-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Great advertising? All I see is a free 777 charter that just put a big dent in our fuel sense savings. This won't open up the Chinese letter market that slammed shut on us after the government encouraged to invest heavily on our infrastructure. All multinational companies dislike working with the Chinese authorities as they change deals in midstream, are easily angered and vengeful. They've got some Australians in jail just because they're unhappy about a deal that went sour.

Growing Bearish - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/global/2010/0208/companies-united-states-china-business-growing-bearish.html?partner=yahoomag)

But don't take my word for it, look at our falling stock price. Investors are wondering how much more money we're willing to throw out the window.

Gunter
02-06-2010, 06:26 AM
They even did the 2 water spraying arches for the plane's departure!

Gallery | Panda Mei Lan flies out of Atlanta | accessatlanta.com (http://projects.accessatlanta.com/gallery/view/entertainment/mei-lan-panda-leaves/)

Honestly this makes me ill.

How can they claim they need to steal 20% of our pay then turn around and waste it with such wanton abandon.

BooyaOhYeah
02-06-2010, 06:28 AM
Or is that Won ton abandon?

Gunter
02-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Or is that Won ton abandon?

I'm glad you picked up on what I was laying down ;)

4A2B
02-06-2010, 06:35 AM

How can they claim they need to steal 20% of our pay turn around and waste it with such wanton abandon.
Flying the ?FedEx Panda Express? | FedEx Multimedia Center (http://mediacenter.fedex.designcdt.com/node/433)

He has flown every kind of animal, I bet even snakes, chameleons and more than one or two cheetahs!

Knots2you
02-06-2010, 07:24 AM
You'll have to pardon me, I don't do this often, especially this large....

WHO FREAKING CARES!!!!!!!!

Why do I give a hoot about two Pandas flying in an EMPTY 777 15.5 hours on our dime when the company continues to rake the dough in via 4a2b?

Yeah, I can't help but think of all the fuel saved by delaying APU start, and crews freezing, or roasting in the cockpit, for the sake of Fuel Sense, that went out the tailpipe of that 777 on a 15 hour flight to China. Yeah, I'm gonna delay APU start till 20 min before departure, when it's freezing out.

I know, it's up to the crews to determine APU usage in various weather conditions. I just know that I have jumpseated enough to see crews sitting in the cockpit in their parkas, trying to keep warm, while saving fuel by delaying APU start. I don't get it, and I don't do it. I consider being too hot, or too cold, in the cockpit, to be a distraction, and therefore, a safety issue.

And yeah, such extravagance in the face of 4a2b abuse, is obscene.
But at least we keep getting the "pat on the back" letters to keep us happy.

Jetjok
02-06-2010, 08:38 AM
I don't know, but my sense is that one thing (the Fuel Sense initiative) has exactly nothing to do with flying Pandas over to China. For that matter, neither does delayed APU usage, or guys (being stupid enough to be) sitting in an ice cold or burning hot cockpit, just to save a few pounds of gas. I agree that saving fuel makes sense, but not at the expense of safety, or for that matter, the cost of electronic components that are operating without the benefit of conditioned air in their compartments. However, this Panda thing is a very good thing for FedEx because it continues to get the name out in front of the public, both ours as well as the Chinese. That cannot be a bad thing, and in my opinion, it's worth whatever it costs the company.

JJ

Gunter
02-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Delete delete

Jetjok
02-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Yeah, you're right. The company should just stop doing its business because you have to suffer with 20% less pay. It's a good thing that it's not all about you. However, you're right in that I'm not affected by 4a2b, so perhaps that frees me to take a less biased view of the overall situation, something that you clearly cannot do.

JJ

Gunter
02-06-2010, 08:57 AM
No, not less biased.

Just biased toward not caring about the effects of 4a2b. It does not concern you.

I'm glad toting the bear around makes you happy.

FR8Hauler
02-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I can't help but think of all the fuel saved by delaying APU start, and crews freezing, or roasting in the cockpit, for the sake of Fuel Sense, that went out the tailpipe of that 777 on a 15 hour flight to China. Yeah, I'm gonna delay APU start till 20 min before departure, when it's freezing out.

I know, it's up to the crews to determine APU usage in various weather conditions. I just know that I have jumpseated enough to see crews sitting in the cockpit in their parkas, trying to keep warm, while saving fuel by delaying APU start. I don't get it, and I don't do it. I consider being too hot, or too cold, in the cockpit, to be a distraction, and therefore, a safety issue.

And yeah, such extravagance in the face of 4a2b abuse, is obscene.
But at least we keep getting the "pat on the back" letters to keep us happy.

You were an idiot if you did that in the first place. The Litmus test is when you get in the cockpit ask yourself, "Is PC's office this hot or this cold?". If the answer is no, start the APU.

Gunter
02-06-2010, 09:43 AM
You may see me wearing a coat in the cockpit in the summer because I've lowered the temp too much. Might have to open a window to warm it up.

990Convair
02-08-2010, 05:53 AM

How can they claim they need to steal 20% of our pay then turn around and waste it with such wanton abandon.

Couldn't agree more Gunter.

KnightFlyer
02-08-2010, 06:21 AM
, or in the case of delivering Pandas to China: wonton abandon!

frozenboxhauler
02-08-2010, 05:31 PM
, or in the case of delivering Pandas to China: wonton abandon!

Nicely done:)
fbh

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1