Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

J Dawg
02-05-2010, 12:32 AM
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-%28National-Airlines%29/McDonnell-Douglas-DC-8-73%28F%29/1647798/L/&sid=48b228d199e1524b641273acf7efe922

Photos: McDonnell Douglas DC-8-73(F) Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-%28National-Airlines%29/McDonnell-Douglas-DC-8-73%28F%29/1647798/L/&sid=48b228d199e1524b641273acf7efe922)

Oops; I guess that's not a UPS airplane anymore; someone else saw value in what we didn't. Perhaps the douchers in UPS mgt can pursue opportunities to fly UPS airplanes instead of commenting on what FedEx does, threatening furloughs, and picking up magazines in the crew lounge? Nah, didn't think so.

UPSFO4LIFE
02-05-2010, 04:08 AM
Not really shocked by this at all. UPS has never and will never get it. It is all about control with them! I am sure some manager got or will get a nice bonus or raise for getting rid of all the 8's. You see, it is not about how much we could have made with military charters or how to utilize more crews, it's about the savings made by parking them. You know, trip over a dollar to pick up a dime kind of thing.

jabr800
02-05-2010, 07:32 AM
I was the F/O on #803, when it was flown to KROW (Roswell, NM), to be put in storage on May 19, 2009.
The bird was in perfect shape when we flew it there. Not one single deferred item or any problems.
See this attached photo of it going westbound!
www.dc8.org (http://dc8.org/photos/display.php?file=ROW/ROW-airbourne2.jpg)

Precontact
02-05-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm surprised we didn't make them cover up more of the paint. Very easy to tell it's UPS still. Too bad we couldn't get some more military charter work.

1800 RVR
02-05-2010, 08:19 AM
I was the F/O on #803, when it was flown to KROW (Roswell, NM), to be put in storage on May 19, 2009.
The bird was in perfect shape when we flew it there. Not one single deferred item or any problems.
See this attached photo of it going westbound!
www.dc8.org (http://dc8.org/photos/display.php?file=ROW/ROW-airbourne2.jpg)

Awesome photo! Man, I really miss that airplane. What a joy to fly!

md11retiree
02-05-2010, 09:04 AM

What a pretty airplane. In retrospect, wish I had flown one of these when FedEx acquired Flying Tigers in the late 80s. Same with the 747. Just too many schools to attend and the MD11 was on the horizon. The DC-8 will go down in history as one of the GREAT commercial ventures of all time.

Roberto
02-05-2010, 09:14 AM
...What a joy to fly!

As compared to a 757/767 or Airbus?? I wouldn't think so, but all I did was FE for 4+2 years. The last 2 were especially revolting after 12 years in the Boeing.

1800 RVR
02-05-2010, 09:48 AM
As compared to a 757/767 or Airbus?? I wouldn't think so, but all I did was FE for 4+2 years. The last 2 were especially revolting after 12 years in the Boeing.

Roberto, to be fair, I have not flown the 75/76, or the Airbus for that matter. However, I truly feel that the -8 was an honest airplane that YOU had to fly, and not a FMC. Don't get me wrong - automation is awesome, and I love it on the MD11, however, the airplane flew the way you told it to: descent planning, cruise speeds, etc. And you have to admit, the thing is built like a tank. Just look at PHL. Even after 4 hours of burning, the tail never failed! Show me another airplane that could withstand that.

I'm sorry you had such a "revolting" time plumbing on the -8. Maybe you should have retired before becoming an FE. ;) I plumbed for 1 year before upgrading, and we have flown together, and I don't regret 1 minute of the -8.

SplitS
02-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm sorry you had such a "revolting" time plumbing on the -8. Maybe you should have retired before becoming an FE. ;)

Cat Fight!!!!

757upspilot
02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Roberto, to be fair, I have not flown the 75/76, or the Airbus for that matter. However, I truly feel that the -8 was an honest airplane that YOU had to fly, and not a FMC. Don't get me wrong - automation is awesome, and I love it on the MD11, however, the airplane flew the way you told it to: descent planning, cruise speeds, etc. And you have to admit, the thing is built like a tank. Just look at PHL. Even after 4 hours of burning, the tail never failed! Show me another airplane that could withstand that.

I'm sorry you had such a "revolting" time plumbing on the -8. Maybe you should have retired before becoming an FE. ;) I plumbed for 1 year before upgrading, and we have flown together, and I don't regret 1 minute of the -8.
When you flew a DC-8 you felt good at the end of the day. Letting them go was a mistake and in our livery a bigger mistake.

III Corps
02-05-2010, 11:25 AM

The story was that McDoug decided the only way to really spur DC-10 sales was to discontinue the -8. Later it would rue that decision after the -8 proved to be such a good freighter.

Of course, big leaps came with the 60 series and an another big leap with the 70s series. Never flew it but many who did said the main thing was getting it off the gate. Accomplishing that, the rest of the flt was relatively calm.

WAY back when I was waiting to go to UPT, I worked on constructing the at-that-time new Delta rotundas at ATL. Those DC-8s were on the gate, no APU. I was freezing my butt off while those guys were sipping coffee brought to them by cute little southern beauties.

Roberto
02-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm sorry you had such a "revolting" time plumbing on the -8. Maybe you should have retired before becoming an FE. ;)

Cat Fight!!!!

I just put that in there as bait <g>. I was lucky the 8 was still around or wouldn't be here now to annoy a few of you. Actually, my first 4 years in the DC8 as a new hire were fine. It was just after 12 years in the 75/76 that it was no fun, just a job. I felt sorry for the new hires to the 75/76 and bus who were displaced to the 8 back seat. It must have been a real culture shock.

However, in the front seat, it is a pleasure, and that is why so few retire at 60. Do you remember all those who said they were going to retire at 60 even if the age changed? The ones who turned 60 after the change. They are almost all still here, and outnumber the Favre's by a good margin now.

1800 RVR
02-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Roberto, I'm glad you recognized the smiley face wink at the end of that comment I made. I'm not trying to start up any age fights because we are past that. I'll admit, you got me going there for a minute! :D

crbnftprnt
02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
<<I'm sorry you had such a "revolting" time plumbing on the -8. Maybe you should have retired before becoming an FE.>>

He went back to FE so that he could become a captain again when the law changed. I think few people would regard that as a positive experience.
So far as the 8, it proved to be an excellent, durable and even historic design. However, by the standards of any Boeing after the 707, it handles like a POS.

Lab Rat
02-05-2010, 12:18 PM
I felt sorry for the new hires to the 75/76 and bus who were displaced to the 8 back seat. It must have been a real culture shock.

Akin to George Jetson moving to Bedrock to live with the Flintstones? :D

SaltyDog
02-05-2010, 03:43 PM

Ah cmon Roberto, I know you loved flying the DC8 with me to TUL <BG>,
For the record. I did love flying the DC-8. Like having an old non powered, roll your own windows down pickup truck. Could do anything really it was designed to do plus much more.

Roberto
02-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Ah cmon Roberto, I know you loved flying the DC8 with me to TUL <BG>,
For the record. I did love flying the DC-8. Like having an old non powered, roll your own windows down pickup truck. Could do anything really it was designed to do plus much more.
Well, at least the front seaters were great <g>. However, I especially disliked slowing down to 200 KIAS at altitude in order to get down at ONT... And I forget the number, but it was 20-some fluid levels or pressure gauges to check on preflight, compared to zero on the Boeings, and also all those access doors to open and close. Again, Boeing, zero. And I almost forgot, going out 30 minutes before the front seaters, and checking their stuff! My wrist is still sore from checking the rudder trim. O yeah, and listening to the front seaters trying to get a visual on the runway. You can always see it on the Boeing, right behind the yoke. DC8, No thank you, sir. However, TA4 is OK, I got my 1000+ hours in that one.

hvydriver
02-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Slowing to 200 at altitude? Whatever for? ;)

Precontact
02-05-2010, 07:02 PM
To make the PETIS crossing restriction...no speed brakes...

727C47
02-06-2010, 02:41 AM
could you really reverse 2 and 3 in flight ?

say that again
02-06-2010, 04:49 AM
could you really reverse 2 and 3 in flight ?
Yes, it was standard procedure until rivets started working loose in the pylons. The procedure then became for emergency descent only. Personally, I loved the old beast. Name another airliner that could **** out every ounce of hydraulic fluid, shut down an engine and keep on truckin' across the Atlantic so that you could still enjoy a great bier in Germany? All you needed was a thick rubber band to hold the auto pilot engaged. The old girl always bought you home.

hvydriver
02-06-2010, 05:16 AM
To make the PETIS crossing restriction...no speed brakes...

I know there are no speed brakes Pre. I've been a left seater on one for 15 years. lol. I've just never heard of a need to slow to 200 kts at altitude. And I've done a lot of crossing restrictions. ;)

8-capt
02-06-2010, 06:03 AM
HVY, the 200kt thing was for flap speeds, ups restricted flaps 25 to 200kts even though the aom allowed a higher speed.

hvydriver
02-06-2010, 06:25 AM
HVY, the 200kt thing was for flap speeds, ups restricted flaps 25 to 200kts even though the aom allowed a higher speed.

Thanks 8. I know the flap speeds. I'm just thinking it must be a booger of a crossing restriction to have to slow down to 200 kts, [U]at altitude.[U] I've never had to get that slow from the 30's. We've always been able to plan coming down clean, till you get in the TA, of course. Doesn't ONT like to see the Diesel coming in regally? That's one of a few airports I haven't been to. Been to LAX a bunch, but never across the bay.

Roberto
02-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks 8. I know the flap speeds. I'm just thinking it must be a booger of a crossing restriction to have to slow down to 200 kts, [u]at altitude.[u] I've never had to get that slow from the 30's. We've always been able to plan coming down clean, till you get in the TA, of course. Doesn't ONT like to see the Diesel coming in regally? That's one of a few airports I haven't been to. Been to LAX a bunch, but never across the bay.
Arriving to ONT from the east, ATC holds you up high beyond the normal descent point. It requires SB in the Boeings to get down for the lower restrictions when landing straight-in to 26.

jonnyjetprop
02-06-2010, 08:54 AM
It also beat up the horizontal stab.

Having flown the DC-8 at a lesser carrier, I can say that it was a truely great plane. Outlived the 707 in commercial service by a large margin. It could be flown hard and marginally maintained.

Yes, it was standard procedure until rivets started working loose in the pylons. The procedure then became for emergency descent only. Personally, I loved the old beast. Name another airliner that could **** out every ounce of hydraulic fluid, shut down an engine and keep on truckin' across the Atlantic so that you could still enjoy a great bier in Germany? All you needed was a thick rubber band to hold the auto pilot engaged. The old girl always bought you home.

hvydriver
02-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Arriving to ONT from the east, ATC holds you up high beyond the normal descent point. It requires SB in the Boeings to get down for the lower restrictions when landing straight-in to 26.

Wow. I'd be hacked to have to do that too then. She was fun to fly though. One of the last jets that could "take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!".

SaltyDog
02-06-2010, 09:34 AM
.... And I almost forgot, going out 30 minutes before the front seaters, and checking their stuff! My wrist is still sore from checking the rudder trim...... TA4 is OK, I got my 1000+ hours in that one.

You gotta love the humor in that one, "yeah, yeah, let the F/E twist that trim hee...hee.., put that in the AOM"

The 8 and the Scooter are two of my most dependable and understandable mistresses <bg>