Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Atlas Air

AAL763
02-06-2010, 06:01 AM
Hello, I was wondering what a typical work schedule is like at an ACMI carrier such as Atlas Air? How long could you expect to be away from home? Would you guys recommend flying for an ACMI carrier or a scheduled passenger carrier?

Best Regards,
Robert

Twin Wasp
02-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I worked for a smaller ACMI before Atlas, we were two weeks on, two weeks off. Just domestic stuff. Atlas owns you for 17 days a month. They've closed their Stansted crew base but even with CONUS crew bases, you may have to travel on day "zero" and not get home till day 18. Plus the company can extend you. Like most pilot jobs, if you live in base it's not bad, the commutes can hurt. I just planned to be gone 2/3 of the month.

atpcliff
02-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Hi!

Also, with a company like Atlas, you never know where you're going. At a sched carrier, you know, and if you're senior, u can control where U go.

Some guys like non-schd a lot, and other guys want theirs set in stone.

cliff
NBO

ea500driver
02-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Hey,

Does anyone have a good email contact to send a resume to Atlas Air...

Fishfreighter
02-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Does anyone have a good email contact to send a resume to Atlas Air...

Check your PMs.

Twin Wasp
02-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Atlas still has about 30 on furlough, best guess no hirring till the last part of this year at the earliest.

The schedule I flew was about 70-80 what I got at the beginning of the month. Mainly stuff dropped out, either the customer CX or the plane was running so late it would screw up your next trip. You don't quite run a Seven Four out of DXB like a DA-20 out of YIP.

atpcliff
02-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Hi!

74/DXB vs. DA-20/YIP:
I would need differences training...

cliff
NBO

Twin Wasp
03-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Well so much for my crystal ball. Looks like Atlas will recall everyone with a bid this month and start hiring off the street.

Cubdrick
03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
TW,

That's great news. I just checked their website and shows as still not accepting resumes for review. Can you offer any advice on how to be in the first 5,000 applying for the job? :)

Seriously, what did you see as the "typical" f/o profile? Military, 135, cargo, 121 transfers, CFIs, diverse hiring, etc. Any typical hour cutoffs you noticed that were competitive?

Thanks in advance,
Cubdrick

Twin Wasp
03-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I think they look more for the person than the background. They were very upfront that you'll be on the road a lot and I think they want people you can be with in a plane for 15 hours. That being said, the group I interviewed with was either military or 121. And my stratum of the seniority list was mainly 121 retreads.

Whaledriver
03-02-2010, 09:18 PM
I bet I could call the Chief Pilot today and not get a real answer to your questions. Last time we hired off the streets, there was going to be a pilot shortage....again. I believe 3500 hrs was min total time with 1000 PIC turbine, God only knows now.

The other issue is, we had a hiring pool with a bunch of swimmers, and have no idea how many are still treading and if they'll even use it.

Best advice is visit the Atlas Air website daily and call any friends you have there to recommend you.

Talon1011
03-03-2010, 07:53 AM
have no idea how many are still treading and if they'll even use it.

Put one on that list! Waiting for the call....

acer231
11-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Check your PMs.
I have been trying to send mail to Denise, but it keeps coming back. What is the good address? Thanks

atpcliff
12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
just announced, 50 744 capt upgrades, "Lots" of new hires, for new airframes in 2011

atpcliff
12-02-2010, 10:19 AM
i believe Denise reads the stuff sent to the address on the website....post some more and u can pm me.

Pavedickey
02-16-2014, 01:55 AM
Wow, this thread's been dead for almost 4 years now. Thought I'd kick it and see what happens.

worldfr8dog
02-16-2014, 02:04 AM
Wow, this thread's been dead for almost 4 years now. Thought I'd kick it and see what happens.

Been dead because we try and direct hiring questions to the Hiring thread. There is an Atlas thread that has all the Atlas questions anyone could ever ask for and more. Need BBQ tips, yes, we have those too ;)

deltajuliet
07-21-2014, 10:33 AM
QOL decent at Atlas, career kind of company?

motormadness
07-21-2014, 11:25 AM

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hiring-news/51254-atlas-air-hiring.html

atpcliff
07-21-2014, 12:37 PM
No...and Yes.

It depends on what you want...ACMI vs. scheduled carrier.

See the world right away, with a relatively quick upgrade to captain (Atlas), or make more money and have more security (probably) (DAL/AA/UAL).

Want to be home every third or fourth day (Big 3), or be home in large blocks of days (Atlas). Atlas you can be gone 30 days, if you want, and I know two guys who had, basically, 60 days off in a row.

Have a schedule set in (almost) stone (Big 3), be willing to have your schedule change massively, on sometimes on an hourly basis (Atlas).

Go to a lot of domestic locations, and, when your seniority allows, a few overseas destinations (Big 3), go to places like Kyrgyz Republic, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Romania, Cape Verde, Republic of the Congo (French Congo), Russia, Iceland, Malta, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India, Paraguay, Brasil, Chile, Ecuador, UAE, Saudi, Bahrain, Angola, Singapore, Spain, Zhengzho, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Sydney, Melbourne, Narita, Nagoya, Incheon (Atlas). I have been to all of these in the last 4 years...some of them, like HKG and SYD (Coogee Beach) a LOT of times.

I think for an "normal" pilot, DAL is best (unless you live in AK/West Coast or HI..then Alaska or HI is best). I think for an adventurous sort, Atlas is best.

Sorry...forgot SWA...they are really good, also.

And, it REALLY varies between individual. Talked to a guy who wants to go to JetBlue...it's his ONLY choice. He lives near Boston and wants a Boston base...he will not be applying anywhere else, unless they open a BOS base.

erjpilot
07-21-2014, 10:51 PM
No...and Yes.

It depends on what you want...ACMI vs. scheduled carrier.

See the world right away, with a relatively quick upgrade to captain (Atlas), or make more money and have more security (probably) (DAL/AA/UAL).

Want to be home every third or fourth day (Big 3), or be home in large blocks of days (Atlas). Atlas you can be gone 30 days, if you want, and I know two guys who had, basically, 60 days off in a row.

Have a schedule set in (almost) stone (Big 3), be willing to have your schedule change massively, on sometimes on an hourly basis (Atlas).

Go to a lot of domestic locations, and, when your seniority allows, a few overseas destinations (Big 3), go to places like Kyrgyz Republic, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Romania, Cape Verde, Republic of the Congo (French Congo), Russia, Iceland, Malta, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India, Paraguay, Brasil, Chile, Ecuador, UAE, Saudi, Bahrain, Angola, Singapore, Spain, Zhengzho, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Sydney, Melbourne, Narita, Nagoya, Incheon (Atlas). I have been to all of these in the last 4 years...some of them, like HKG and SYD (Coogee Beach) a LOT of times.

I think for an "normal" pilot, DAL is best (unless you live in AK/West Coast or HI..then Alaska or HI is best). I think for an adventurous sort, Atlas is best.

Sorry...forgot SWA...they are really good, also.

And, it REALLY varies between individual. Talked to a guy who wants to go to JetBlue...it's his ONLY choice. He lives near Boston and wants a Boston base...he will not be applying anywhere else, unless they open a BOS base.

You forgot about the two other great cargo gigs : FDX/UPS.

easyflying
07-22-2014, 03:59 AM
Biggest issue with Atlas is that you will make more money at any legacy as an FO then a capt. here at Atlas.
If you want to go visit all those great destinations that Cliff mentioned, buy a ticket and in reality most places he mentioned you probably don't want to even go to.
Although we have a contract, I think (and most Atlas pilots will agree) that a roll of one ply toilet paper has more substance then this contract. Too much ambiguous language. We hope that we can make things better next contract, but I would not hold my breath either. Top commuters plus LCC's have better contracts which will allow you to make more money and work less or if you decide to work more you will make more then working overtime here.
If you are coming from a commuter with a bad contract or low pay, this would be a nice stepping stone before you go to major.
The big items here are the fact that you don't have to worry about commuting or losing weight (lots of food on planes).
Good luck

robthree
07-22-2014, 01:26 PM
But if you are interested in ACMI, Atlas is head and shoulders above the rest.

Whaledriver101
07-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Easyflying,,, I seriously doubt FO's at the legacy make more than the Capt's at Atlas.

easyflying
07-24-2014, 01:51 PM
with all the work rules they do.

The Walrus
07-24-2014, 01:55 PM
How much does a Capt at Atlas make per year on average?

Tango 6
07-24-2014, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=easyflying;1691044]with all the work rules they do.[/QU

I like to see those numbers. I'm no Einstein nor do I do math in public but you might have a decimal in the wrong spot.

chip1
07-24-2014, 02:27 PM
If you are senior wide body F/O at Delta and pick up "green slips" you can easily make more than an Atlas Capt. and work less days. Their work rules are significantly better. If one got hired at Delta today, just based on retirements, you could easily be a senior wide body F/O within 10 years.

Tango 6
07-24-2014, 02:38 PM
If you are senior wide body F/O at Delta and pick up "green slips" you can easily make more than an Atlas Capt. and work less days. Their work rules are significantly better. If one got hired at Delta today, just based on retirements, you could easily be a senior wide body F/O within 10 years.

Guess it depends on what your looking for. Save yourself to be a senior Delta FO one day or push a jumbo around the globe with atlas.

If its Delta your after I hope you get hired. BTW when did you get hired at Atlas

jetjock6
07-24-2014, 02:52 PM
As with any airline, there are a lot of variables that will determine what an Atlas pilot makes. Equipment, base, hazard flying, picking up open time, etc...

As far as making more as an fo at a legacy then a captain at Atlas. Not true for the average pilot. There are fo's at Atlas that make more then Atlas captains. Lots of them.

I have been at Atlas for 7+ years as an fo on the 74. I have friends at all the legacy carriers. Some with similar longevity that are on smaller equipment (73, 320, & 88). Most are not making more then me. Most that commute are not home more then me either. They are getting better retirement.

In the airline industry, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. There is always going to be fo at brand x that makes 200k + and he/she is always used as an example of what pilots make over there. We have some areas that need major work in the upcoming contract at Atlas but don't believe everything you hear.

OrionFE
07-24-2014, 04:43 PM
As with any airline, there are a lot of variables that will determine what an Atlas pilot makes. Equipment, base, hazard flying, picking up open time, etc...

As far as making more as an fo at a legacy then a captain at Atlas. Not true for the average pilot. There are fo's at Atlas that make more then Atlas captains. Lots of them.

I have been at Atlas for 7+ years as an fo on the 74. I have friends at all the legacy carriers. Some with similar longevity that are on smaller equipment (73, 320, & 88). Most are not making more then me. Most that commute are not home more then me either. They are getting better retirement.

In the airline industry, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. There is always going to be fo at brand x that makes 200k + and he/she is always used as an example of what pilots make over there. We have some areas that need major work in the upcoming contract at Atlas but don't believe everything you hear.

Excellent points!

LoneStarM1A
07-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Captains at Atlas make about 190k on the 747 and 160k on the 767. Those are ballpark averages. Obviously it will be more for guys that pick up flying in days off and less for people that get a lot of minimum guarantee credit. I've flown with a few 747 captains that complain they can't break 200k despite being at the top of the payscale. FO averages are about 100k on the 747 and 80k on the 767.

This is all very unscientific and just from talking to people I encounter. So yeah, line holding FO's at most legacies (and needless to say fedex & UPS) can beat that, especially if you account for Atlas's almost non existent retirement plan.

atpcliff
03-12-2015, 07:05 AM
Captains at Atlas make about 190k on the 747 and 160k on the 767. Those are ballpark averages. Obviously it will be more for guys that pick up flying in days off and less for people that get a lot of minimum guarantee credit. I've flown with a few 747 captains that complain they can't break 200k despite being at the top of the payscale. FO averages are about 100k on the 747 and 80k on the 767.

This is all very unscientific and just from talking to people I encounter. So yeah, line holding FO's at most legacies (and needless to say fedex & UPS) can beat that, especially if you account for Atlas's almost non existent retirement plan.

I know of 2 FOs that broke $200k for 2014. One said he is not going to 767 capt as would make less...waiting for 747 capt...

atpcliff
03-12-2015, 07:12 AM
"You forgot about the two other great cargo gigs : FDX/UPS."

I don't like all the domestic hub turns at FedEx.

I would never recommend UPS to anyone..poisonous work environment.

brownie
03-12-2015, 07:38 AM
Those are some real big statements for somebody that haven't worked at either one. Sure that must be hearsay because I HEAR the quality life and contract SUK at Atlas but to give someone RECOMMENDATION to work there or not when I wasn't employed there????

Galaxydriver
03-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Any FO's here making $200K must be senior and working lots of overtime and/or taking the outbases. I like being home with my family too much for that.

CandlerKid
03-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Yeah, you could make 200k a year at Burger King probably if you work 365 days like these guys and never go home. Just multiple our rates times our crappy 62 hour guarantee to see what people with a life make.

atpcliff
03-12-2015, 08:01 AM
"Those are some real big statements for somebody that haven't worked at either one. Sure that must be hearsay because I HEAR the quality life and contract SUK at Atlas but to give someone RECOMMENDATION to work there or not when I wasn't employed there????"

I don't like domestic hub turns. I have flown into ILM and SDF and done them for abx and ups. I have flown into MEM for FedEx flying. I don't want atlas 767 as I don't want to do domestic hub turns. Other guys like them, and would love to do them for FedEx our UPS.

I don't personally know the work environment at UPS. The UPS guy I knew the best said he hated every second of every day he worked at UPS. I have read a lot of UPS pilot's opinions online of their pilot/management relationship. I don't want to work somewhere like that. Another Atlas guy I know wants UPS.he said he didn't care about the work environment, he just wants to make a lot of money. He is excited about UPS. I understand that completely. I hope he gets UPS...it will be perfect for him.

atpcliff
03-12-2015, 08:13 AM
"Any FO's here making $200K must be senior and working lots of overtime and/or taking the outbases. I like being home with my family too much for that."

Both ARE very senior. The guy who made the most about $230k, normally works about 9 days/month. He doesn't outbase or work any overtime. The other guy never outbases, just picks up high value open time.

CandlerKid
03-12-2015, 08:18 AM
Max FO pay is $146. Say he somehow flies 100 hours in 9 days?!? That would be $14,600. 175k for the year. Since he's not working much say he gets 6k in per diem a year. Yeah.....he doesn't pick up open time. You believe these guys??? C'mon.

inrange
03-12-2015, 09:14 AM
help me get hired please! :)

captainv
03-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Both ARE very senior. The guy who made the most about $230k, normally works about 9 days/month. He doesn't outbase or work any overtime.

Show your math, please.

Even if true, those guys are outliers and not representative of what the vast majority of FOs can even come close to making.

HVYMETALDRVR
03-12-2015, 10:27 AM
What do you work rules say about pay for picking up open time? 150%?

captainv
03-12-2015, 01:14 PM

you get 4.85 hours of credit per full day (standard pay), plus a 2-hour override on day 1, 4 hours on day 2, and 6 hours each day thereafter.

DC8DRIVER
03-12-2015, 04:26 PM
230k a year divided by 146 an hour equals 1575 credit hours a year. That's 131 credit hours a month.
131 hours minus min guarantee of 62 equals about 69 hours.
69 hours divided by 10.85 (4.85 MCPD + 6 the hour VX override) is 6.38 days of VX flying over and above min guarantee every month.
Call it 8 days because the first two days of VX are only worth 6.85 and 8.85.
It's possible he didn't take vacation in 2013 and was paid an extra 51 hours for two weeks or 76.65 hours for three weeks of unused vacation so the overtime could be a day or so less.
Most lines seem to be around 70 hours which would bring your required VX days below 6 each month.
70 MCPD hours is about 15 days a month. That plus the extra 6 would mean working 21 days every month - but all that requires getting the VX days you want every month all year. Training and other screw scheduling surprises will eat into that, but over 200k for a senior FO does seem very doable.

In theory, if you were awarded an out base every month all year (aside from the fact that you would NEVER be home) and averaged 146 hours hours a month, you would bring home almost 256k.

All that said, with a little overtime, a pilot in their third year would make about 120k.

captainv
03-14-2015, 06:52 PM
All that said, with a little overtime, a pilot in their third year would make about 120k.

On your jet, perhaps.

longhauler
03-14-2015, 07:57 PM
you get 4.85 hours of credit per full day (standard pay), plus a 2-hour override on day 1, 4 hours on day 2, and 6 hours each day thereafter.
Section 3 A 2 b vi says 4.95

Whaledriver
03-14-2015, 10:03 PM
Section 3 A 2 b vi says 4.95

For every 4.95 hours TAFB, you get one hour CRT. 24/4.95=4.85 hours per 24 hours TAFB.

Whaledriver
03-14-2015, 10:06 PM
The 747 FO that did $210,000 last year lives at CVG. There were two months he "worked" everyday of the month but was home for 10 days. He also did a couple outbases. He is very senior and picks up a lot of open time.

NightIP
03-14-2015, 10:11 PM
On your jet, perhaps.

Yuuuup. No way I'll get close to that this year (3rd year 767 FO).

Twin Wasp
03-14-2015, 10:14 PM

Fifth year I got 111. I guess not enough overtime.

NightIP
03-14-2015, 10:15 PM

Just to clarify captainv's post, you'll get 6.85 hours for the first day (2+4.85), 8.85 hours for the second day (4+4.85), then 10.85 hours/day (6+4.85) for each day after that (assuming you're out voluntarily). If you're extended involuntarily (rules apply there), the first three days remain the same as above, but the fourth day is worth 16.85 hours (12+4.85). Very rare, though.

OT is how you make good money here (the 10.85 hour days are $1,000+ each as an FO), but I would personally rather have better pay for days on instead.

atpcliff
03-15-2015, 07:35 AM
The guy I talked to, that made more than $210k last year, has a normal monthly line of about 95 hours a month. That is not normal.

HVYMETALDRVR
03-15-2015, 08:30 AM
Just to clarify captainv's post, you'll get 6.85 hours for the first day (2+4.85), 8.85 hours for the second day (4+4.85), then 10.85 hours/day (6+4.85) for each day after that (assuming you're out voluntarily). If you're extended involuntarily (rules apply there), the first three days remain the same as above, but the fourth day is worth 16.85 hours (12+4.85). Very rare, though.

OT is how you make good money here (the 10.85 hour days are $1,000+ each as an FO), but I would personally rather have better pay for days on instead.

Thanks for clarifying, yeah as a 1st year regional FO I used to pick up OT to make ends meet, but Id rather just make more and not need to pick up OT.

Actually another question then. So if you pick up OT at the end of a trip out of CVG, say a NRT turn and back (CVG based) with 12 hrs rest in between?

So 14 hrs cvg to nrt, then 13 hrs back TAFB being approx 40 hrs (I've never done that flight just guessing). The block is just about the same as the OT above? Are the 2+, 4+, and 6+ added on to the duty rig or the flight time per day?

NightIP
03-15-2015, 08:51 AM
Are the 2+, 4+, and 6+ added on to the duty rig or the flight timeper day?

Good question. What happens at the end of the trip is they compare your credits (block/deadhead) to your rig, and go with whatever is higher. In your example, they'd compare the rig for 40 hours TAFB (8.1 hours) to your block (27 hours). Unfortunately it's not a day-to-day calculation.

So yes, in your example, you'd get 27 hours of pay, plus the 2, 4, 6 (we'll say the trip touches three Z days). 39 hours of pay.

We don't see that kind of credit efficiency on the 767 though, so our rig almost always exceeds the block credit. The 747 guys can overfly rig at times with the long leg lengths.

HVYMETALDRVR
03-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Good question. What happens at the end of the trip is they compare your credits (block/deadhead) to your rig, and go with whatever is higher. In your example, they'd compare the rig for 40 hours TAFB (~8 hours) to your block (27 hours).

So yes, in your example, you'd get 27 hours of pay, plus the 2, 4, 6 (we'll say the trip touches three Z days). 39 hours of pay.

We don't see that kind of credit efficiency on the 767 though, so our rig almost always exceeds the block credit. The 747 guys can overfly rig at times with the long leg lengths.

Got it, one last question, what's your deadhead pay?

NightIP
03-15-2015, 08:57 AM
Got it, one last question what's your deadhead pay?

1:2.85. Pretty terrible. For example, a 14 hour deadhead only credits 4.91 hours (14/2.85).

easyflying
03-16-2015, 07:43 AM
Night IP I'm not sure if this is what you meant but when you pick up open time it is based on a daily basis. so if on day one I fly 14 hrs. it would be 14+2 if I fly 13 on the second day it would be 27+4, and so on it's the best of rig or actual or schedule block per day on OT.

Crazy Canuck
03-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Can anyone tell me what kind of total time is competitive right now? What are people getting hired with?

HVYMETALDRVR
03-16-2015, 08:42 AM
1:2.85. Pretty terrible. For example, a 14 hour deadhead only credits 4.91 hours (14/2.85).

Yeah that is rough, thanks.

atpcliff
03-16-2015, 09:55 AM
Can anyone tell me what kind of total time is competitive right now? What are people getting hired with?

If you have the mins, apply. Guys have gotten hired with the mins.

I talked to a guy in his class the average time was about 5000 hours TT. That was a while ago.

Some guys have gotten hired with no Turbine PIC.

NJAXRated
03-16-2015, 10:10 AM
I was offered the position with 0 tpic and about 7000 total. It can be done.

millscd63
03-16-2015, 01:36 PM
The guy I talked to, that made more than $210k last year, has a normal monthly line of about 95 hours a month. That is not normal.

So $146*95=$13,870 per month or $166,440 for the year. How did he make an extra $43,000 to get to to 210k without picking up open time? There may have been FO's that made this much but they did a lot of outbasing and open time. It doesn't do anyone any good to throw around BS numbers.

atpcliff
03-16-2015, 02:33 PM
I didn't ask the guy...he just told me what he made...it was over $210.

The point here of all this was that some people were saying that Atlas pay is total crap because some FOs at AA/UAL/DAL made more than some Atlas captains.

In reality, Atlas pay is not up to par compared to AA/UAL/DAL, but just because some FOs somewhere made more than an Atlas capt doesn't mean anything, because some Atlas 747 FOs make more than some Atlas 747 captains also.

NightIP
03-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Night IP I'm not sure if this is what you meant but when you pick up open time it is based on a daily basis. so if on day one I fly 14 hrs. it would be 14+2 if I fly 13 on the second day it would be 27+4, and so on it's the best of rig or actual or schedule block per day on OT.

Unfortunately it's not computed on a daily basis. It's computed like a standard trip. Sec. 3.C.2. I actually had to find that out the hard way when I did a 10 hour leg on a 4-day OT trip last year, and only got paid for 2, 4, 6, 6 plus the rig. The 10 hour leg meant nothing in terms of pay.

easyflying
03-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Night ip please re read the section. You can pm me if you'd like too.

NightIP
03-17-2015, 09:00 AM
Night ip please re read the section. You can pm me if you'd like too.

I assure you it's not a daily calculation, sorry. The credit/rig calculation for the trip is handled the same way as a normal trip: It's totaled at the end, and you get the greater of the two.

captainv
03-17-2015, 09:43 AM
easyflying, NightIP - there's only one way to settle this. Jello wrestling.

alpar80
03-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Has anyone hand walked a resume into MIA?

DaMoose
03-17-2015, 11:00 AM
Alpar80 -

Yep. You need to get all the info to HR through the online system. It's the only way through. It seems that nobody in the company, including management can help push things through. Having an internal rec' seems to be a disadvantage.

Good luck!

captainv
03-18-2015, 04:41 AM
Alpar80 -

Yep. You need to get all the info to HR through the online system. It's the only way through. It seems that nobody in the company, including management can help push things through. Having an internal rec' seems to be a disadvantage.

Good luck!

The process, as with all things Atlas, can seem to defy logic, but according to the union's hiring guy, better than 85% of those hired have internal recs.

boiler07
03-20-2015, 08:56 AM
I heard rumblings about an antagonistic training environment over there. Anyone have some insight on that?

Gnaw
03-20-2015, 01:43 PM
I heard rumblings about an antagonistic training environment over there. Anyone have some insight on that?

Not my experience at all, at least on the 767 side. Some very good folks doing the job.

DC8DRIVER
03-20-2015, 11:03 PM

Not antagonistic; Just not standardized and overly reliant on computer based training.

727C47
03-21-2015, 03:42 AM
4 of my former K4 brothers are heading over to Atlas, you are getting some fine freight dogs who will stick with you all for the long haul.

Radials Rule
03-21-2015, 06:57 AM

I'm a May 2014 hire on the 747. There was nothing adversarial about the training environment.

Texandriver84
03-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Hi everyone,

Is anybody able to give a timeline/general footprint for Atlas training through IOE I've been looking through all the forums, but haven't been very successful.

Thanks in advance!

WorldDC10
03-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Hi everyone,

Is anybody able to give a timeline/general footprint for Atlas training through IOE I've been looking through all the forums, but haven't been very successful.

Thanks in advance!

On the 747 side 9 weeks in Miami to complete the type and get the 747-8 differences done. Then at least 5 days off at home. IOE depends on the backlog to start IOE - anywhere from a week to 3 months to get started!

The actual IOE takes from a week to month depending on your previous experience.

Cargoking3
03-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Anyone have info on the atlas air interview exam ? What to study up on?

DC8DRIVER
03-23-2015, 06:11 PM
Anyone have info on the atlas air interview exam ? What to study up on?

If you're asking about the online exam, you'll find the entire gouge here:

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hiring-news/51254-atlas-air-hiring.html

In fact, that thread is where all of the posters here should be looking. It has a wealth of information all about Atlas and the hiring process.

For instance, there is this post on the exam ...

I just did the test at the end of January, so I would assume that I had the latest set of questions. It's hard to explain, but although some questions are more difficult, overall the test is not too difficult, as the answers you have to chose from are fairly logical, or quite simply, you do know the answers because they are of an ATP level.

I had some questions about what type of drag, which I may have flunked, because let's face it, my private was over 25 years ago!...:)
So a look of this section in the chapter 4 of the FAA pilot's handbook of aeronautical knowledge (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/) will help.

I also found a new booklet to read at your bedside table, perfect to give you a good night of sleep. Be familiar with codes and more especially chart symbol. FAA AC circular on aviation weather (http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC-0045G_chg1_fullDocument.pdf)

I had a few questions on the usual calculations you may be asked at an interview regarding crossing a VOR with time, distance, rate of descent, etc... Sounds somewhat easy, but the problem is that you only have so much time!
A counter at the bottom left of the screen remind you that you are answering 100 questions in 60 minutes, and how you are doing. That's 36 seconds per. Some you will answer in less time than that, but others?...well, better move on to another one and come back later for it, as you will be able to do this.

I suggest that you devote your time doing this with no interruption whatsoever. I personally did it at home, kid and wife in bed.

Somewhere on this thread, are buried a good number of the questions that have been asked in the past. I would say 75% of the test still incorporate the same questions, although it appears that each test does not look exactly alike. They must have a different set that they send out for each individual.

I hope this help with your question.

PS: I have done the test and passed the 3 weeks ago.
That same week, I went to the job fair in Miami, hoping to convince them that I was the best pilot they have ever seen. (It did not work!...:-)
So I just sent this week an E-mail politely asking if there was any chance I could be on the list in the coming interviews? The answer I got was that I still have to wait for the phone interview call from the hiring manager. This surprised me a bit, because I was hoping that a job fair would bypass this process, as you are essentially answering the same questions, but in person this time.
Ah well, such is life.

Next, I will probably ask if I can wash his/her car or mow the lawn when spring comes in Purchase. ;)

atpcliff
03-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Why 4 guys from Kalitta now? In the past very few from there to atlas...

727C47
03-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Grass is greener, Connie isn't going to live forever, if you love the ACMI life and you are a K4 FO the time to move is now

HercDriver130
03-24-2015, 05:40 PM

You might want to ask you HR department about that as well... guys have been applying for several years... only recently have K4 guys even gotten interviews.....

742Dash
03-24-2015, 08:05 PM

It would appear that the tide has turned, and they are looking for people who actually want to work here.

For example they are now doing some interviews in ANC.

maxjet
03-25-2015, 03:56 AM

Cliff, Had my stuff in several years ago. No response while I watched your company hire lots of RJ guys who I knew were never going to stay. Just recently got the letter to take the test. Unfortunately, my time window has closed as I am at the age where it just will not pay to move over to Atlas because of possibly getting stuck on the 767 pay scale. A loss for Atlas and I equally I think.:mad:

atpcliff
03-26-2015, 05:37 PM
I think Kalitta is a decent place to work.

I know about 5 guys over there....I think Atlas would be glad to have Kalitta guys...I know I would.

Good luck!

HVYMETALDRVR
03-26-2015, 08:47 PM
Grass is greener, Connie isn't going to live forever, if you love the ACMI life and you are a K4 FO the time to move is now

Not to derail the thread, but is there something specific that makes you think Connie is on the way out?

727C47
03-27-2015, 02:16 AM
Not at all, he probably will live to be 100, the old man is still sharp as a tack.

longhauler
03-27-2015, 06:39 AM
Not to derail the thread, but is there something specific that makes you think Connie is on the way out? Yes, his age and past lifestyle and the fact that almost all of his management team minus one is well into their sixties more likely seventies and even eighties.

HVYMETALDRVR
03-27-2015, 07:02 AM
Gotcha, just wondering!

Motoxer517
02-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Check your PMs.

Is there a way I can also get in on this as well? Thanks

3pointlanding
02-16-2016, 04:29 AM
Here at purple you will definitely make more than at Atlas, and the average flying for the month is 24 hrs. Not bad.

Motoxer517
02-16-2016, 07:00 AM
Here at purple you will definitely make more than at Atlas, and the average flying for the month is 24 hrs. Not bad.
Can you pm me with more info?

74Freighter
02-16-2016, 09:13 AM

That's great, but how do you get an interview, I mean pass the computer screening?

If it was that easy to get on with purple, we'd all be there by now.

DC8DRIVER
02-16-2016, 10:42 AM
That's great, but how do you get an interview, I mean pass the computer screening?

If it was that easy to get on with purple, we'd all be there by now.

All of your Atlas questions are answered on the other thread.
Some of it is boring, but there is a lot of meat on the bones over there.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hiring-news/51254-atlas-air-hiring-666.html

So grab a cold beverage and get informed. The practice of teaching yourself will come in handy if you ever get hired at Atlas.

HVYMETALDRVR
02-16-2016, 12:15 PM
All of your Atlas questions are answered on the other thread.
Some of it is boring, but there is a lot of meat on the bones over there.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hiring-news/51254-atlas-air-hiring-666.html

So grab a cold beverage and get informed. The practice of teaching yourself will come in handy if you ever get hired at Atlas.

Meh, that takes to long. I just want to know how much seniority it takes to bid day trips? :rolleyes:

Whaledriver
02-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Meh, that takes to long. I just want to know how much seniority it takes to bid day trips? :rolleyes:

Don't waste your time, no such thing at Atlas.

DC8DRIVER
02-16-2016, 07:55 PM

Oh, you can hold those right out of OE!!

dutch747
02-16-2016, 08:43 PM
At least someone sees the humor^^^^^^^^;)

HVYMETALDRVR
02-18-2016, 07:11 AM
I was joking. ;)

MD-11Loader
02-18-2016, 08:25 AM
Yes, his age and past lifestyle and the fact that almost all of his management team minus one is well into their sixties more likely seventies and even eighties.

PW, PS, CK, & NW are all in their 70's. They can't live forever.

atpcliff
02-18-2016, 08:54 AM
I preflighted once, and was trying to figure out that something was strange...I realized I didn't need a flashlight to preflight, because there was some sort of natural light everywhere...it was odd.

Shaolin flyer
11-17-2016, 03:13 AM
Is there any info what is going on with Atlas hiring process? I did my written almost 2 months ago and still no update or follow up.

atpcliff
11-17-2016, 06:39 AM
They are swamped. Email them, and if no response soon, try calling. I think you will get some kind of email response...calling is the last resort...

badtransam97
11-21-2016, 07:42 PM
They are swamped. Email them, and if no response soon, try calling. I think you will get some kind of email response...calling is the last resort...
Do you have a good email for HR? I cant seem to find one on the website. Thanks

WacoQCF
12-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Do you have a good email for HR? I cant seem to find one on the website. Thanks

Applied: 10/26/2015
Written invite: 8/05/2016
Written submitted: 8/12/16
Interview invite: 9/02/16
Interviewed 12/02/2016 @ White Plains NY
+/- 25 applicants

Former 121 RJ First Officer / Non Flying Military Officer
3700 TT / 710 TPIC
B-737/DHC-8/EMB-145
CFI/CFII/MEI/ATP

Notified today (12/5/16) that I am in the Preferential Hiring "pool"

Falcondrivr
12-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Congrats! I got the email too. I'm the "91 guy."
8000tt
5000turbine
3000 TPIC

bikeflyer
12-06-2016, 12:44 PM
centurion cargo pilots stopped flying today 12/6/2016,after giving the owner more than a year to pay overtime money since dec 2015 and been behind on guaranteed up to almost 3 months at a time and using skylease as his tool to weaken centurion a teamsters represented company to the point of having only 1 airplane and sky lease 4 747s and 2 md11s.

Screwed
12-06-2016, 03:37 PM
centurion cargo pilots stopped flying today 12/6/2016,after giving the owner more than a year to pay overtime money since dec 2015 and been behind on guaranteed up to almost 3 months at a time and using skylease as his tool to weaken centurion a teamsters represented company to the point of having only 1 airplane and sky lease 4 747s and 2 md11s.

If only Skylease pilots would come to their senses and put this scumbag out of business for good! He has been a cancer on MIA for way too long!

GIANT PILOT
12-06-2016, 04:20 PM

I'm glad to see the pilots of Centurion have come to their senses, and stopped flying for free, but please stop spamming every thread on this forum, of the developments occurring at Centurion/ Skylease

WacoQCF
12-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Did you take the **** test? Should we be moving forward with this now?

WacoQCF
12-07-2016, 06:06 PM
Answering my own post, but HR says the drug test is done following receipt of a class date. I'm just being too eager.

badtransam97
12-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Applied: 10/26/2015
Written invite: 8/05/2016
Written submitted: 8/12/16
Interview invite: 9/02/16
Interviewed 12/02/2016 @ White Plains NY
+/- 25 applicants

Former 121 RJ First Officer / Non Flying Military Officer
3700 TT / 710 TPIC
B-737/DHC-8/EMB-145
CFI/CFII/MEI/ATP

Notified today (12/5/16) that I am in the Preferential Hiring "pool"
Wow..they don't get in a hurry do they haha?

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1