Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Flaps50
02-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Question: Anyone know if the union has posed the question about guys in FDA bids that are still in a reserve unit back in the states and what happens if they have to deploy for a couple months or more. Since you would likely move your family to HKG will you still at least get the housing allowance. If this question has not been posed it should be and an agreement should be made.

Thanks

SpoolDaddy
02-07-2010, 10:55 PM
F50,

This may not be what you want to hear, but I'm pretty confident that when you take military leave over 31 days, your new employer is now the Guard/Reserves, and not FX. Your FX pay and benefits stop, including the housing allowance, and are replaced with BAH/BAS. Same with your family's health care as they are now covered by Tricare.

Good luck to you and the family. I'm sure balancing the FDA/Guard/Family is a challenge, thanks for your service, SD

boeingfdx
02-08-2010, 03:09 AM
don't expect anything to be easy. sj and the rest of the acp's are on a HUGE witch hunt when it comes to mil leave. USERRA is to be liberally interpreted in favor of the service member, but the sj seems to want to liberally interpret it in favor of squeezing nickels out of the service members. we already have the lowest form of mil in the industry at fdx anyway...ups gets "buy-up pay" when mil over 31 days, american gets 4 R days paid if on mil over them, and so on. what does the fdx member get? harassing phone calls from sj and the rest of the acp's.

doesn't fdx get a lot of money from the gov? isn't fred smith a former marine?

a guess a nickel is a nickel.

Skimmology
02-08-2010, 06:46 AM
Contact your Military Affairs Chairman, he is very knowledgeable.

Gunter
02-08-2010, 06:53 AM
How about some examples?

That's really hard to justify in this period of "overmanning" as we attempt to "delay or prevent a furlough" in 4a2b.

AFW_MD11
02-08-2010, 07:16 AM
How about some examples?

That's really hard to justify in this period of "overmanning" as we attempt to "delay or prevent a furlough" in 4a2b.

just to clarify.....

are you saying that it should be hard for management to justify questioning people taking military leave? especially during 4A2b and while we're "overmanned"?

as in - the company should be encouraging as many folks as possible to volunteer to serve our country.....it should be a win-win....."overmanning" is reduced....limited flying hours spread over a smaller number of active pilots.....while another patriot serves our country?

If that's what you're saying, I totally agree.

Does it make any sense, in this 4A2b environment, for the company to discourage mil leave? or question amount of mil leave used or the timing of it when it is used?

The company should be ecstatic, and ACPs should be high-5-ing each other every time a mil leave request pops up in the system.

Seems extremely odd to me that their reaction is just the opposite of that??

But, they're probably just making sure no one is trying to "abuse" the process.....yeah.....that's the ticket! :rolleyes:

Gunter
02-08-2010, 07:44 AM
just to clarify.....

are you saying that it should be hard for management to justify questioning people taking military leave? especially during 4A2b and while we're "overmanned"?

.....it should be a win-win....."overmanning" is reduced....

If that's what you're saying, I totally agree.

The company should be ecstatic, and ACPs should be high-5-ing each other every time a mil leave request pops up in the system.

Exactly. That is if 4a2b is currently in place to prevent a furlough. In that case it would be counterproductive to try and limit the amount of leave being taken. Open time is snapped up in record time so that isn't the issue either. It would help them improve the reserve utilization they claim they fret over.

The continuance of 4a2b in 2010 shows it is just another implement in their toolbox to reduce costs. In that context management's actions look at least logically correct. Legally they have to argue it is to prevent or delay a furlough. If you meet a manager you want to make uncomfortable, ask him to explain why we're still in 4a2b. They may be able to say it with straight face but they know they aren't telling the truth. The tons of extra pairings tell the real story. Most people find maintaining and verbally repeating a lie stressful over time.

Haywood JB
02-08-2010, 06:39 PM
I think the "hunt" right now is not for the people who are serving in the correct way, it is those who are serving and playing FedEx with Mil Leave... ie sick at FedEx and drilling, etc, etc.

For those of us who use mil leave and do military the right way, there aren't any problems since we are doing it correctly. The ALPA guys are very knowledgable and are more than willing to pass along the good info. But as always, there are people gaming the system as best they can, so in that regard be careful, you could lose both jobs.

As for the original topic, I agree that when you go over 31 days you lose your benefits here at FedEx. I would call military affairs, and after that, call your ACP. If it is what you want to hear, get it in writing. Either way, good luck, and thanks for your time.

Haywood.

buffalosoldier
02-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Haywood,

Unfortunately, the mil leave harrassing phone calls/threatening emails aren't limited to all those nasty mil guys who are "abusing the system."

I will dispense with specific examples on this forum as the post may be followed up with its own harassing phone calls. PM me if you'd like a few juicy ones from guys I know personally. If you get a call, record it. Let ESGR folks decide if it's harassing.

Furthermore, don't even share details with an ACP. It is their right to call your squadron--not to question you. End of story. There is only one reason to call you: harassment and intimidation. Oh sure, when they talk to the commander, they're buddy buddy and acting like they are trying to help the FedEx guy out.

In my squadron, the Wing had passed out a flyer seeking nominations for ESGR awards. It has been circulated and we've all taken to writing some of the great things we'd put on the FedEx nomination. "Only harassed 50% of the time taking mil leave..." "only had to make 5 phone calls to get B-fund contributions..." "called me a fifty-percenter because of my mil leave..." "kind enough to strip me of CASS privelages during extended mil leave"

Flaps50
02-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. I would consider bidding an FDA the next time around if we could get a guarantee that our housing allowance will remain intact if we are sent overseas for a few months. Considering the cost of housing in HGK it would be a major hardship on a family to have to no allowance coming in for housing while the military member is overseas involuntarily.

You actually can remain on health benefits and insurance for at least 90 days for sure I believe as long as you catch up the premiums when you return. The company also has to pay your B-fund as though you were still here along with the 401K matching; so you are still considered an employee.

I know of a couple of guys over there who are in the guard in AK so I was wondering what would happen if they got deployed. I doubt China has a law protecting US Military guys so they can cancel a lease agreement ;-)

SC-7
02-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I know the two AK dudes of whom you speak. I've been so impressed that they've been able to make the commute work out that I hadn't considered the issue you brought up. It's an excellent question. In fact, I kind of wonder if it's occurred to them either.

Given the company's policy on other benefits while on mil leave, I'm betting the answer is, you're out 2700 a month for the duration of your deployment.

Next time I see one or the other I'll ask if they know anything different.

Sluggo_63
02-10-2010, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the replies. I would consider bidding an FDA the next time around if we could get a guarantee that our housing allowance will remain intact if we are sent overseas for a few months. Considering the cost of housing in HGK it would be a major hardship on a family to have to no allowance coming in for housing while the military member is overseas involuntarily.If HGK becomes your new home of record, doesn't the guard have to give you housing per your home of record, if you're activated? Guys in my guard unit live several states away, and when we're activated, they get BAH based on their home of record, a ticket to base and then per diem while they're on orders.

I know the guard may not be too happy providing them tickets back and forth for their AT days, but if you're activated, by my research an O-4 with dependents should be getting over $7000 per month in OHA (http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/ohaform.html).

navigatro
02-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Sluggo,

BAH is based on DUTY location, not home of record.

From the Department of Defense website:

The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is based on geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status. The intent of BAH is to provide uniformed service members with permanent duty within the 50 United States accurate and equitable housing compensation based on housing costs in local civilian housing markets, and is payable when government quarters are not provided. A uniformed service member stationed overseas, including U.S. protectorates, who is not furnished government housing, is eligible for Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) (http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/ohaform.html).

El Guapo
02-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Only AD guys get BAH for the base you are at. If you live in Hong Kong and are in the Reserves at March, and your unit gets activated or even if you go on a 2 week trip, you get HK BAH for that period, whether it be 2 weeks or a year. You don't get BAH for March. Prettu sure if you live in HK you also get COLA.

navigatro
02-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Only AD guys get BAH for the base you are at. If you live in Hong Kong and are in the Reserves at March, and your unit gets activated or even if you go on a 2 week trip, you get HK BAH for that period, whether it be 2 weeks or a year. You don't get BAH for March. Prettu sure if you live in HK you also get COLA.

Less than 30 days you get BAH II, which is a fixed rate:

Guard and Reserve members on active duty for less than 30 days receive a different type of housing allowance than active duty members. This type of housing allowance is known as Basic Allowance for Housing Reserve Component/Transit, and pays less, on average, than Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) Type I, which is based upon a member's rank, dependency status, and location of assignment.

Sluggo_63
02-11-2010, 03:46 AM
Sluggo,

BAH is based on DUTY location, not home of record.

From the Department of Defense website:

The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is based on geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status. The intent of BAH is to provide uniformed service members with permanent duty within the 50 United States accurate and equitable housing compensation based on housing costs in local civilian housing markets, and is payable when government quarters are not provided. A uniformed service member stationed overseas, including U.S. protectorates, who is not furnished government housing, is eligible for Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) (http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/ohaform.html).

I don't think this applies to Guard/Reserve. I'm 99% sure guys/gals in my guard unit who live out of state, get the BAH for the locality where they live. Guys who live within a 50 mile radius of the base, get the base BAH, but if you live outside of that, you get the BAH for the nearest base.

Granted, this only applies to activations of greater than 30 days. Like you said, a two week deal, and you're getting BAH II. But if the activation is less than 30 days, I don't think you'll lose your FedEx benefits. You only lose them for mil leave over 30 days.

El Guapo
02-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Fellas, there's alot of bad intel being passed around here. Less than 30 days, you do not get type 2. If I do a 2 week mission, I get paid 50 percent of my monthly BAH. I only get type 2 when on Annual tour or when doing some sort of prog tour. If you're flying in support of OIF/OEF and on MPA, you get a percentage of your BAH, simple as that. If you live out of state, you get out of state BAH.

AFW_MD11
02-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Fellas, there's alot of bad intel being passed around here. Less than 30 days, you do not get type 2. If I do a 2 week mission, I get paid 50 percent of my monthly BAH. I only get type 2 when on Annual tour or when doing some sort of prog tour. If you're flying in support of OIF/OEF and on MPA, you get a percentage of your BAH, simple as that. If you live out of state, you get out of state BAH.

Also.....don't know about the folks who work at YOUR local Reserve/Guard mil pay office, but.....

I think my local folks' heads would explode if you tried to tell them your Home of Record was in Communist China!!

Ummmm......do we even have a BAH Type II rate for there? kapowwww! :confused:

SC-7
02-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Also.....don't know about the folks who work at YOUR local Reserve/Guard mil pay office, but.....

I think my local folks' heads would explode if you tried to tell them your Home of Record was in Communist China!!

Ummmm......do we even have a BAH Type II rate for there? kapowwww! :confused:

I talked to my guard unit's finance office today with this question, and according to them, those guys will get HK rate BAH, whatever that is, if they get activated. Two different finance guys and the supervisor all said the same thing. I couldn't believe it either.

Sluggo_63
02-12-2010, 03:51 AM
Dude, you're right. My fault for the bad gouge...

I didn't differentiate between Title 10 or Title 32. Any Title 10 days will be paid a percentage of full BAH (i.e. 2 day ONE orders = 2/30 of BAH), Title 32 orders under 30 days will be BAH II, over 30 days, and it's full BAH.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1