Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : 727 SO Reserves

trigg41
02-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Are they using the guys on reserve? I'm coming out of training in march and just wondering what to expect.

Black Meatball
02-17-2010, 08:33 AM
They have worked me every single day but 2 on R24. 40+ hrs of leveling already. Not sure, but I think A and B res is not as bad. Seems like they use R24 first. I thought we were overstaffed?!?!?!

trigg41
02-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Interesting...I'm curious what's going to happen when they finish putting the rest of the guys into the back. Isn't that something near 250-300 folks

DLax85
02-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Interesting...I'm curious what's going to happen when they finish putting the rest of the guys into the back. Isn't that something near 250-300 folks

The upcoming 757 bid should reduce some of those numbers.

Gunter
02-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Think so? I take it you mean the overage will lessen. But this bid is about 727 flying going to the 757. The 727 bid pack will shrink as 757 training continues.

Average line in the 757 takes 2 pilots to fly 72 hrs a month.
Average line in the 727 takes 3 pilots to fly 60-63 hrs a month.

After the training cycle is complete I see MORE of an overage in the 727 SO seat due to a 757 bid.

But 777 training and retirements are coming too. During training we will have crewmembers out of the bid packs but it will only be for a short time. Most importantly, rumor is international freight and charters are very strong and increasing.

We will see less of an overage. It just won't be from a 757 bid.

Daniel Larusso
02-17-2010, 01:16 PM

Looking at the last SIG notes thing-a-mabob, it looks like the company won't be filling any secondary spots in any seat until the average BLG gets to is projected to get to about 72/90CH imo. So if 727 S/O's can hold some of those 757 seats, than I suppose you are correct. If not, I don't see them filling secondaries on the vacated seats which I presume would be mostly in the 727.

DLax85
02-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Think so? I take it you mean the overage will lessen. But this bid is about 727 flying going to the 757. The 727 bid pack will shrink as 757 training continues.

Average line in the 757 takes 2 pilots to fly 72 hrs a month.
Average line in the 727 takes 3 pilots to fly 60-63 hrs a month.

After the training cycle is complete I see MORE of an overage in the 727 SO seat due to a 757 bid.

But 777 training and retirements are coming too. During training we will have crewmembers out of the bid packs but it will only be for a short time. Most importantly, rumor is international freight and charters are very strong and increasing.

We will see less of an overage. It just won't be from a 757 bid.

Agree

...the intent of my response was the total # of SOs probably won't reach that high (...though some OVER 65 guys are arriving! Woo!! Woo!!!:):eek::()

Not all the "new" 757 flying will come from the 727 bid pack --- some will be cherry picked A310 routes.

Finally, under 4A2B the 757 BLGs are also suspectible to dropping below 68...haven't they dropped a bit in the past 6 months? (...I honestly haven't looked at those closely).

It's funny to hear guys say they'll move from the 727 to the 757 to up their BLGs, when that too could change within the next 6-18 months depending on how the company wants to man, train and schedule the jet.

Remember, the only constant in life is change.

A'o Aloha!

Unknown Rider
02-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Agree

...the intent of my response was the total # of SOs probably won't reach that high (...though some OVER 65 guys are arriving! Woo!! Woo!!!:):eek::()

Not all the "new" 757 flying will come from the 727 bid pack --- some will be cherry picked A310 routes.

Finally, under 4A2B the 757 BLGs are also suspectible to dropping below 68...haven't they dropped a bit in the past 6 months? (...I honestly haven't looked at those closely).

It's funny to hear guys say they'll move from the 727 to the 757 to up their BLGs, when that too could change within the next 6-18 months depending on how the company wants to man, train and schedule the jet.

Remember, the only constant in life is change.

A'o Aloha!

Not only are the BLGs already dropping on the 757, but if you move from the 727 to the 757 you will seat lock yourself for two years.

FDXLAG
02-17-2010, 03:58 PM
You guys and your gamesmanship. Ok I wont bid the 757. It is all yours.;)

Unknown Rider
02-17-2010, 04:53 PM
You guys and your gamesmanship. Ok I wont bid the 757. It is all yours.;)

Nope, don't care, just throwing out something for folks to think about.

pool is cool
02-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Not only are the BLGs already dropping on the 757, but if you move from the 727 to the 757 you will seat lock yourself for two years.

Aren't you only seat locked from bidding back to the same relative seat position? ie: back to the right seat of a narrow body. So if you leave the right seat of the 727 for the right seat of the 757, you would only be locked out of returning to the right or back seat of the 727 since anything else would be an upgrade.

Jumbo Pilot
02-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Aren't you only seat locked from bidding back to the same relative seat position? ie: back to the right seat of a narrow body. So if you leave the right seat of the 727 for the right seat of the 757, you would only be locked out of returning to the right or back seat of the 727 since anything else would be an upgrade.

c. Down/Lateral Bid Freeze
A pilot who is activated in a crew status that requires ITU training based on a down/lateral bid shall be frozen in that crew status for 24 months, commencing on his actual activation date. A pilot is not eligible for a permanent crew position award requiring ITU training with a projected training date during that freeze period except under the following conditions:
i. the pilot was excessed or down/lateral bid to relieve an excess; or
ii. the pilot down bid because of legal restrictions.

d. Administration of Down/Lateral Bid Restrictions and Freezes
Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 24.E.1.b. and E.1.c., (above):
i. A pilot subject to a down/lateral bid freeze or restriction is eligible for an award or assignment of his crew status at a new base.
ii. A pilot who down bid in his aircraft to a lower crew seat is eligible for an award of a crew position in a higher crew seat in the same aircraft type during the time of his freeze provided he advises the Crew Staffing Department of his intentions, in writing, at least 7 days prior to the close the bid.

FDXLAG
02-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah I would hate to be locked into the 75 when the MD-10 FDA opens up. ;) Seems to me 75 and the 77 are likely to be the only 2 acft with primary vacancies for a while. But always best to play it safe and keep your options open I guess.

MD11Fr8Dog
02-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Unless you get re-excessed! :eek:

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1