Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

MeXC
02-18-2010, 03:58 PM
America's Most Miserable Cities 2010 - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-most-miserable-cities-2010)

MaydayMark
02-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Not much of a surprise ... I wonder if 4.a.2.b was a consideration (it certainly makes us more miserable)? :eek:

Shaggy1970
02-18-2010, 04:06 PM
I am sure Anchorage has to be up there too!

Albief15
02-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Funny to me how it seems most FDX guys love ANC and most UPS guys don't. I know there are exceptions to both, but that is my perception.

Lived there 92-96, and if it wasn't for ANG obligations and a working spouse I'd be back.

SC-7
02-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Yep. Stay away, you'd hate it.

Shaggy1970
02-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Yep. Stay away, you'd hate it.

Trust me if I didn't have to be up there I wouldn't be. I am a warm blooded kinda guy! :)

DLax85
02-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Funny to me how it seems most FDX guys love ANC and most UPS guys don't. I know there are exceptions to both, but that is my perception.

Lived there 92-96, and if it wasn't for ANG obligations and a working spouse I'd be back.

Aren't FDX guys up there by choice.....while many UPS guys had to take it because they were/are so junior.

????

(I was there about 6 times flying with the military, much of it at low-level --- absolutely gorgeous in the summer, but you can have the winter months.)

Wildmanny
02-18-2010, 07:18 PM
It is absolutely a horror show of a town, that Anchorage is. Terrible, terrible, terrible!! I would advise anyone NOT to go there, don't even bid it. If you are unfortunate enough to be based there and tinged Purple, I would also advise you to leave hurriedly, to one of our fantastic bases, that has SUN and/or barbecue!

And if that creates secondaries, well...so be it! :D

WM, northbound?

FR8Hauler
02-18-2010, 10:00 PM
It is absolutely a horror show of a town, that Anchorage is. Terrible, terrible, terrible!! I would advise anyone NOT to go there, don't even bid it. If you are unfortunate enough to be based there and tinged Purple, I would also advise you to leave hurriedly, to one of our fantastic bases, that has SUN and/or barbecue!

And if that creates secondaries, well...so be it! :D

WM, northbound?

They already have figured it out if you look at the last excess bid. 777 is not helping, expect to be commuting if you are living there in the next couple years.

Winged Wheeler
02-19-2010, 02:22 AM
America's Most Miserable Cities 2010 - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-most-miserable-cities-2010)

Not an easy task to beat Detroit and Flint in the race to the bottom. I, a native Michigander, know that those cities are quasi-3rd world sinkholes. If Memphis is worse then good luck to the Memphisites/Memphisans/whatever.

WW

757upspilot
02-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Not an easy task to beat Detroit and Flint in the race to the bottom. I, a native Michigander, know that those cities are quasi-3rd world sinkholes. If Memphis is worse then good luck to the Memphisites/Memphisans/whatever.

WW
I have spent a lot of time in Detroit and Flint and very little time in Memphis, which appears to have been a good choice. :D

CactusCrew
02-19-2010, 06:33 AM
I have spent a lot of time in Detroit and Flint and very little time in Memphis, which appears to have been a good choice. :D

That's not saying much ... :D

BoxFlyer
02-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Come on guys in Michigan, you got left out of the medal count. At least Memphis got the bronze.

AFW_MD11
02-19-2010, 04:29 PM
.......good luck to the Memphisites/Memphisans/whatever.

WW

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the correct term is Memphians?

or....my personal fav.....Memphis Bubbas! ;)

peredavi
02-19-2010, 08:03 PM

Like many things, it depends what you like and like doing.
I enjoy getting out everyday on x-c,rondanee or alpine skis and having the choice of hundreds of miles of beautiful trails through birch and spruce forest. Some excellent ones 5 min.drive away. Thats Nov-Apr. Then there's hundreds of thousands of square miles of mountains to hike,run ,camp and just enjoy being in. Me and my near future GSP hunting dog will be able to go out and harvest some ptarmigan and grouse. Then there's the fly-fishing or saltwater fishing....Or, just sitting on my deck reading the paper with coffee and looking out to the Inlet or Turnagain . Then there's the NOT commuting aspect. Priceless!
I've lived in DEN, RNO, SLC, SoCal. and I wouldn't trade this for them.

Cujo
02-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Like many things, it depends what you like and like doing.
I enjoy getting out everyday on x-c,rondanee or alpine skis and having the choice of hundreds of miles of beautiful trails through birch and spruce forest. Some excellent ones 5 min.drive away. Thats Nov-Apr. Then there's hundreds of thousands of square miles of mountains to hike,run ,camp and just enjoy being in. Me and my near future GSP hunting dog will be able to go out and harvest some ptarmigan and grouse. Then there's the fly-fishing or saltwater fishing....Or, just sitting on my deck reading the paper with coffee and looking out to the Inlet or Turnagain . Then there's the NOT commuting aspect. Priceless!
I've lived in DEN, RNO, SLC, SoCal. and I wouldn't trade this for them.

.... shhhh ! It's supposed to be a secret :)

Busboy
02-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Envy is such an ugly emotion. You UPS guys are just jealous that SDF didn't even make the top 20!!:rolleyes:

757upspilot
02-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Envy is such an ugly emotion. You UPS guys are just jealous that SDF didn't even make the top 20!!:rolleyes:
That only because they didn't look closely at all the facts. :p;)

MD11Fr8Dog
02-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Memphis improved, last year Memphis was #2!

detpilot
02-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Hmm... I grew up in Detroit, and somehow don't have 3 felonies and a gunshot wound through the head... :rolleyes:

MeXC
02-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Don't be hard on yourselves, UPSers...Kentucky was voted 2nd most depressing state behind West Virginia.

FDXLAG
02-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Hmm... I grew up in Detroit, and somehow don't have 3 felonies and a gunshot wound through the head... :rolleyes:

Hey, 2 good felonies ought to be enough to get you into the high school reunion.:)

Winged Wheeler
02-22-2010, 06:50 AM

You have a different opinion than do I. So be it. From your post I guess you're one of the (very) many with the wisdom to leave.

A corrupt, one party polity. A clownish junta (the city council). Abysmal rates of HS graduation. Shockingly low per capita income. Sky high tax rates with inadequate services in return. The only thing missing is the boorish autocrat--at least they managed to get rid of him.

Roll your eyes if you like--I stand by my previous remarks.

WW

detpilot
02-24-2010, 12:20 AM
You have a different opinion than do I. So be it. From your post I guess you're one of the (very) many with the wisdom to leave.

A corrupt, one party polity. A clownish junta (the city council). Abysmal rates of HS graduation. Shockingly low per capita income. Sky high tax rates with inadequate services in return. The only thing missing is the boorish autocrat--at least they managed to get rid of him.

Roll your eyes if you like--I stand by my previous remarks.

WW

Not arguing that it's bad, but quasi 3rd world? Come on... Although I will venture to guess that it's gotten a lot worse since I left (2004 to go to college- yeah I made it through the public schools).

Not arguing with any of your points above... But I've seen much worse. Check out Benton Harbor.

LastTraintoMEM
02-24-2010, 05:04 AM
I have grown up in Memphis, and it is a hole. I wish I could leave! It seems everything started going down hill in the late 80's. One big benefit of living here has been the fact the economic crisis doesn't seem to have effected us much. We were already in a depression, and now the rest of the country is joining us!:D

FedExBusBoy
02-24-2010, 05:50 AM
I have grown up in Memphis, and it is a hole. I wish I could leave! It seems everything started going down hill in the late 80's. One big benefit of living here has been the fact the economic crisis doesn't seem to have effected us much. We were already in a depression, and now the rest of the country is joining us!:D

Yep.....when Dick Hackett left and King Willie took over is when it all started spiraling out of control......

Std Deviation
02-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Not arguing that it's bad, but quasi 3rd world? Come on... Although I will venture to guess that it's gotten a lot worse since I left (2004 to go to college- yeah I made it through the public schools).

Not arguing with any of your points above... But I've seen much worse. Check out Benton Harbor.

Even Kwame left! Course he still owes the city of Detroit..ohh..bout a million. He is however paying $6 a week which seems reasonable given his salary here in TX is only $132,000 a year.

As a former Detroiter (started flying at DET in 89) can't tell you how proud it makes me to know he's living 8 miles away in Southlake, TX in a 6,000 sq ft. mansion while Motown slowly falls into the river...

detpilot
02-24-2010, 09:34 AM
(started flying at DET in 89)

Started there in 02. You didn't happen to be hanging around then, did ya? :D

Std Deviation
02-25-2010, 05:21 AM
Started there in 02. You didn't happen to be hanging around then, did ya? :D

Left in 93 (for AZO), back in 96 (flying checks in MU-2's for the fed). Moved to IAD in 2002.

Still bleed Red & White. Unwilling to embrace the Cowboy's as "America's Team". :D

MaydayMark
02-25-2010, 11:12 AM
A University of Memphis Tigers scout flies to Baghdad to watch a young
Iraqi play basketball in a new American sponsored league and is very
impressed with a young Iraqi player. He arranges for him to come over
to the US and play basketball on scholarship.

A few months later the Tigers are down 10 points to the Louisville Cardinals with only 5 minutes left. Calipari gives the young Iraqi the nod and he goes in. The kid is a sensation, scoring 5 three-point goals in 5 minutes and winning the game for the home team Tigers!
The fans, players and coaches are all delighted. Even ESPN loves this new
star!

When the player comes off the court he phones his Mom to tell
her about his first day of NCAA basketball.
'Hello Mom, guess what?' he says in an Iraqi accent. 'I played for 5
minutes today. We were 10 points down, but I scored 5 three pointers
and we won! Everybody loves me, the fans, the media; they all love me.'
'Wonderful,' says his Mom, 'now let me tell you about my day. Your
father got shot in the street and robbed; your sister and I were ambushed,
raped and beaten; and your brother has joined a gang of looters, and all
while you were having such great time.'
The young Iraqi is very upset. 'Mom, I'm so sorry.'
'All you can say is you're sorry?' says his Mom. 'It's your fault we
moved to Memphis in the first place!'

ol'tigerguy
02-25-2010, 12:26 PM
oh my god, I just shot bacardi and diet out my nose.

The Walrus
02-25-2010, 12:35 PM
I have been reading APC regularly for about the past 5 years, and it sure seems that there is an inordinate number of posters who either shoot drinks from their nostrils, or throw up in their own mouths. What's up with that?

Check 6
02-26-2010, 05:10 AM
I have been reading APC regularly for about the past 5 years, and it sure seems that there is an inordinate number of posters who either shoot drinks from their nostrils, or throw up in their own mouths. What's up with that?

It all started after some people were banned for shooting other liquids out of other orifices ! :D

The Walrus
03-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Study: Chicago is Worst City for Car Repair- Yahoo! Autos Article Page (http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1353/study-chicago-is-worst-city-for-car-repair/)