Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : How are things at Kalitta Air?

maxjet
02-21-2010, 05:35 AM
I heard of possible growth or is it just replacement aircraft? Are there anymore recalls? What happens to the company if something happens to Connie?

lionflyer
02-21-2010, 06:17 AM
I heard of possible growth or is it just replacement aircraft? Are there anymore recalls? What happens to the company if something happens to Connie?

Busy! I wish they would recall more because we need em! I can tell you that Connie had a real good year. 12 Classics 3 400's with possibly a fourth on the way. The plan is to have 10 classics and 10 400's for now. Most guys here are convinced the company is history when Connie's gone.

BrownBusDriver
02-22-2010, 05:07 AM

I think Doug could run that company very well with the right help in place.

gasnhaul
03-05-2010, 05:34 AM
Busy! I wish they would recall more because we need em! I can tell you that Connie had a real good year. 12 Classics 3 400's with possibly a fourth on the way. The plan is to have 10 classics and 10 400's for now. Most guys here are convinced the company is history when Connie's gone.

Recalls are on the way. No dates yet but all should be back by the end of April. Heard another airplane purchased (400) but not on the line yet. Busiest months in the company's history.

Not sure about the future, but would agree it could continue without Connie...it just wouldn't be as cool :D

GNH

Oscar13601
08-13-2010, 07:02 PM
What's the story with KALITTA??? How is it like working for them and how is the QOL?? How is the upgrade time?? Thanks:confused:

gasnhaul
08-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Hard to say...sometimes seems like we're starting to move in the right direction and then things stall. We were supposed to get 5 -400s from JAL but supposedly National got em. Now I've heard we're getting them again. I've also heard we bought all of the -200s from fNWA/DAL but don't know if that's true and if it is how many we got and how many we're gonna fly vs how many are just for parts. Things like this happen all the time...

QOL I find to be pretty good...just depends on what you want. If you come in the door knowing you'll be gone for 17 days every month often overseas and all in one shot you'll be fine. You don't have to commute or worry about domicile...the company gets you to the plane and then gets you home.

The pay is pretty good...you can look at our CBA in the downloads section (I think). We're on year 3 now if you look at the pay scale. Only thing is the 62 hour guarantee isn't great.

Biggest downside is there is no guarantee what happens when Connie's gone. I know there isn't a guarantee anywhere in this business, but the old man's in his 70's and no one knows for sure if the company will continue when he's gone or not. There is talk of this and that but again who knows?

Upgrades...see above. If we get the new tails and the business could be pretty quick. Guys were seeing them in 2-3 years before the 08 slow down. Now who knows? Depends on who else is hiring, growth, the usuals but I'd think within 5 years is realistic. This is on the classic...the 400s will be a while longer I think.

And, last I heard we're hiring again:eek:

Think that got it all,

Gas

OrionFE
08-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Hard to say...sometimes seems like we're starting to move in the right direction and then things stall. We were supposed to get 5 -400s from JAL but supposedly National got em. Now I've heard we're getting them again. I've also heard we bought all of the -200s from fNWA/DAL but don't know if that's true and if it is how many we got and how many we're gonna fly vs how many are just for parts. Things like this happen all the time...

QOL I find to be pretty good...just depends on what you want. If you come in the door knowing you'll be gone for 17 days every month often overseas and all in one shot you'll be fine. You don't have to commute or worry about domicile...the company gets you to the plane and then gets you home.

The pay is pretty good...you can look at our CBA in the downloads section (I think). We're on year 3 now if you look at the pay scale. Only thing is the 62 hour guarantee isn't great.

Biggest downside is there is no guarantee what happens when Connie's gone. I know there isn't a guarantee anywhere in this business, but the old man's in his 70's and no one knows for sure if the company will continue when he's gone or not. There is talk of this and that but again who knows?

Upgrades...see above. If we get the new tails and the business could be pretty quick. Guys were seeing them in 2-3 years before the 08 slow down. Now who knows? Depends on who else is hiring, growth, the usuals but I'd think within 5 years is realistic. This is on the classic...the 400s will be a while longer I think.

And, last I heard we're hiring again:eek:

Think that got it all,

Gas

Actually, upgrades were less than a year before the furlough (classic). Ask the 25 yr old Captain how long he was an FO? He is an FO again, now on the -400.

scumby
08-21-2010, 02:21 PM
I worked for Kalitta for 5 years from 1994-1999. If Doug Kalitta takes over it will be fine, he's a wheeler and dealer as his Uncle.

Tonne
08-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Anyone know how many people are about to be interviewed? and how many Kalitta wants to hire?

BlueMoon
08-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Do most people who get hired have internal recs? I've sent my stuff in a couple times via email, I'm local to yip so is walking a resume in advisable or not?

TurboDVR42
08-26-2010, 01:46 PM
What are the hard mins? Can't find it online.
Thanks

capto
08-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Heard kalitta purchased 12 B747 classics former NWA cargo birds. Are these aircraft replacements for the current classics in the fleet or growth?

Thedude
08-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Heard kalitta purchased 12 B747 classics former NWA cargo birds. Are these aircraft replacements for the current classics in the fleet or growth?

I am pretty sure that NWA did not have that many classic freighters. I think the correct number is somewhere between 2-4.

K4FE
08-27-2010, 03:00 AM
Connie bought the remaining NWA/DL 747-200 fleet. 10 freighters and 2 pax birds. I did hear that one additional freighter was sold previously. Also, about 120 JT9D engines, mostly unserviceable.

HercDriver130
08-27-2010, 01:25 PM
no..but lots of parts!!

Whaledriver
08-27-2010, 04:49 PM
They'll pull them thru Connies jet shop and they'll come out the other end witha servicable tag.

OrionFE
08-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Five will fly. Three will replace retired 100's and with a net of two on the line. Many R powered engines! New -400 SIM being installed in YIP!

OrionFE
08-28-2010, 04:59 AM
What are the hard mins? Can't find it online.
Thanks

Anywhere from 3K - 10K depending on who is out there looking for a job.

Whistlin' Dan
08-28-2010, 06:43 AM
Connie bought the remaining NWA/DL 747-200 fleet. 10 freighters and 2 pax birds. I did hear that one additional freighter was sold previously. Also, about 120 JT9D engines, mostly unserviceable. Now there's no excuse for every Connie 747 pilot not to have a "turbine-wheel coffee table" somewhere in his house.

Neosporin
08-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Now there's no excuse for every Connie 747 pilot not to have a "turbine-wheel coffee table" somewhere in his house.

they give us all one in indoc. i love mine.

HercDriver130
08-28-2010, 12:55 PM
I will proudly put it in my living room..... if they would just call.....

747Flyer
08-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Alec - you've got more company - another former "Longhauler" starts class tomorrow...

ockham
08-29-2010, 03:26 PM
They'll pull them thru Connies jet shop and they'll come out the other end witha servicable tag.

I am scared already, when will these parts start falling out of the sky? His last year before they shut down the engine shop had 28 failures last time I checked, including the one that left the wing and let's not forget Columbia.

dojetdriver
08-29-2010, 04:12 PM
I am scared already, when will these parts start falling out of the sky? His last year before they shut down the engine shop had 28 failures last time I checked, including the one that left the wing and let's not forget Columbia.

The FI joke was that it was running when it departed the mounts, so technically it wasn't a failure :p

Lowlevel
08-29-2010, 05:23 PM
What ever happened with the outcome of the Columbia investigation? I ran into a NTSB guy in DTW that was working on that investigation and he had a few thoughts on it, but since it was not in the US I did not see anything later.

trlaketige
08-29-2010, 06:32 PM
I am pretty sure that NWA did not have that many classic freighters. I think the correct number is somewhere between 2-4.

It looks like you would be wrong. We did have that many. They were parked last December.

JT

Godzilla
08-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Do most people who get hired have internal recs? I've sent my stuff in a couple times via email, I'm local to yip so is walking a resume in advisable or not?

I would never hesitate to walk in a resume. It has always worked for me.
Just wish I had walked one in to Southwest.

K4FE
08-30-2010, 04:29 AM
. . . before they shut down the engine shop . . .

Don't tell the guys at the engine shop. They've been working steady and they'd really be disappointed if they found out the shop was closed!

The GE facility is being built now.

Molon Labe
08-30-2010, 12:36 PM
At the peak point NWA had 14 747-200 freighters 4 of which were converted pax aircraft.....a trickle parking draw-down went on over the last four years . Some of the retired 747's were bought or leased to other operators during that time and one freighter was scrapped at Walnut Ridge Arkansas. So it looks like Connie has the majority of the old NWA Cargo fleet. Enjoy them they treated me pretty well.

Slickpilot
08-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Slightlly off the subject. I met Connie and Don Garlits up at VVPB in 1971 while I was learning the trade in the mighty Herc. :)

They were on some type of USO tour.

BS

gasnhaul
09-03-2010, 10:42 PM
It looks like you would be wrong. We did have that many. They were parked last December.

JT

12 is the correct number...sounds like we might be putting 6 on the line but won't get that many net gain. Probably more like 4 with replacements, etc.

scumby
09-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Yes, I would bring it to the Chief Pilot. His name is Paul Bishop or PW Bishop. Only people who know him call him PW. I flew with him on the filming of the movie Air Force One. They were Kalitta planes. Tell him Scumby says hi.