Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : FDX MD11 Crew Base in HKG

Tractor Bob
03-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Just read something in ACP's office. Fred was over in HKG. 100 (Total) MD11 pilots in HKG by the fall. Excessing off Airbus in MEM was also mentioned.

Just the messenger. TB

MaydayMark
03-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Capt. "O" has stated at several hub turn meeting that he expected to see an MD-10 domicile in HKG ...

PurpleTail
03-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Capt. "O" has stated at several hub turn meeting that he expected to see an MD-10 domicile in HKG ...

Same thing was mentioned in RGS.....in Sept of '07 :eek: :p :confused:

Tractor Bob
03-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Definitely need to see it painted purple to believe it, but it seems that anything the company is rumored to do to lower my quality of life and career progression usually comes true.....

I used to be an optimist, but its been beaten out of me.

JetJocF14
03-03-2010, 09:38 AM
When I turn the key into my apartment just down from the Sheraton Hong Kong then I'll believe it. :eek:

Unknown Rider
03-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Definitely need to see it painted purple to believe it, but it seems that anything the company is rumored to do to lower my quality of life and career progression usually comes true.....

I used to be an optimist, but its been beaten out of me.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this in conjunction with or shortly after an excess out of the Airbus. They'll be trying to squeeze guys who will be taking a pay hit into going to HK.

JethroFDX
03-03-2010, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see this in conjunction with or shortly after an excess out of the Airbus. They'll be trying to squeeze guys who will be taking a pay hit into going to HK.

Anyone can have HKG with my compliments. Never been there and not interested.

FR8Hauler
03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Hearing the same rumors from mgmt types, lca's...Not MD-10's but 11's is what I have heard. My question is how the hell are they going to fill the right seat again? We already have the most junior dudes in HKG already. Here we go again, expect excesses out of ANC and the whole deal all over.

Cujo
03-03-2010, 09:47 AM
When I turn the key into my apartment just down from the Sheraton Hong Kong then I'll believe it. :eek:

I used to think that myself... NeHow

FDXLAG
03-03-2010, 09:54 AM
It will go senior.

MD11HOG
03-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Hearing the same rumors from mgmt types, lca's...Not MD-10's but 11's is what I have heard. My question is how the hell are they going to fill the right seat again? We already have the most junior dudes in HKG already. Here we go again, expect excesses out of ANC and the whole deal all over.
Let's see, we're buying airplanes and expanding crew bases, maybe a furlough rumor will work.:D

2cylinderdriver
03-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Let's see, we're buying airplanes and expanding crew bases, maybe a furlough rumor will work.:D

Not trying to rain on your parade, but that is factually incorrect. They are simply saving crews by basing them in theater. At some point we may see some expansion but all FDA slots are to become more efficient with the flying we already conduct. Upgrades just got outsourced, unless you want to chase it...for the foreseeable future.:(

FlynLow
03-03-2010, 10:17 AM
But when was the last time we had strategic thought...

If we bid it, it reduces actual crews needed....optimized even more...

If we don't, and hold out and make them up the ante....??? HMMM

They save money and crews are talking of expanding while in 4.a.2.b....(not to mention buying planes...)

Lets have some sack and start playing hardball...

IMHO.

noser
03-03-2010, 10:21 AM
They have been talking about putting MD-10's over in Asia for over 9 years (about the same amount of time that they have had them). They are not working out in the States like they thought so what make anyone think that they will work in Asia where it is hotter and more humid and a hell of a lot more hills! Just look at what is going on with flying out of TPE and going to CAN, you have to go to the PI first! That really helps the cut off time. Like someone already said, I will believe it when I see it painted purple.

At least that's my 2 cents.......

FDXLAG
03-03-2010, 10:45 AM
But when was the last time we had strategic thought...

If we bid it, it reduces actual crews needed....optimized even more...

If we don't, and hold out and make them up the ante....??? HMMM

They save money and crews are talking of expanding while in 4.a.2.b....(not to mention buying planes...)

Lets have some sack and start playing hardball...

IMHO.

If we were smart we would let the most Jr guy on campus be the only bidder on hkg capt. Then in the subsequent bid we could all bid it and get WB Capt POP.:eek: Of course that would be one hell of a virtual training letter (thanks again Alpa for giving away our leverage).

My guess is if they want 60 MD-11 HKG Capts they will put a bid out with 120. Assign as many as they can get to bid it. Publish a training letter. Then cancel the awards (in reverse seniority order) if they get more than 60 volunteers.

Cujo
03-03-2010, 10:51 AM
If we were smart we would let the most Jr guy on campus be the only bidder on hkg capt. Then in the subsequent bid we could all bid it and get WB Capt POP.:eek:....

How would a WB bid in HKG affect the "virtual" training letter and those guys getting POP? Will they have to bid HKG or be dropped from "virtual" POP? Just curious

iarapilot
03-03-2010, 10:52 AM
They have been talking about putting MD-10's over in Asia for over 9 years (about the same amount of time that they have had them). They are not working out in the States like they thought so what make anyone think that they will work in Asia where it is hotter and more humid and a hell of a lot more hills! Just look at what is going on with flying out of TPE and going to CAN, you have to go to the PI first! That really helps the cut off time. Like someone already said, I will believe it when I see it painted purple.

When I got to SFS in 98, the CP said there was going to be an MD base there soon! And, it will be interesting to see how the bidding works out, considering the fiasco created by the HKG FDA for the Bus. All of our ALPA reps that were involved with the FDA LOA (-1) should be proud of their negotiation and selling skills!

MaydayMark
03-03-2010, 10:54 AM
If they do open a new bid with a HKG FDA, will they wait until after the awards to cancel it or will it be canceled before it even closes??? :confused:

FDXLAG
03-03-2010, 10:57 AM
How would a WB bid in HKG affect the "virtual" training letter and those guys getting POP? Will they have to bid HKG or be dropped from "virtual" POP? Just curious

It was toungue in cheek, I do not think anyone who wants the money would hold off on bidding hkg capt. However, in my opinion there would be a new virtual POP for hkg Md-11 capt. That assumes there is a jr award followed by another bid.

It should have no affect on current virtual pop unless their are some hkg capt bus vacancies.

pinseeker
03-03-2010, 11:14 AM

From the source FEPP B.2.a.

A pilot's FEPP under Section 24.C.6.d. shall end upon the earlier of:
a.
The pilot's failure to bid (i.e., a vacancy bid in a vacancy posting; a bid to relieve in an excess posting) a crew position at 100% that the pilot could have held with a rate of pay the same or greater than the denied FDA crew position.

Not only that, but;

FEPP shall only be subject to repayment if the FEPP ends as provided in the Settlement Agreement under:
a.
paragraph B.2.a. if the crew position the pilot failed to bid was the previously denied FDA crew position;

FR8Hauler
03-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Not trying to rain on your parade, but that is factually incorrect. They are simply saving crews by basing them in theater. At some point we may see some expansion but all FDA slots are to become more efficient with the flying we already conduct. Upgrades just got outsourced, unless you want to chase it...for the foreseeable future.:(

You are missing the point on the FO situation. They are going to have to offer something for guys to bid this turd in the right seat.

MaydayMark
03-03-2010, 11:46 AM
You are missing the point on the FO situation. They are going to have to offer something for guys to bid this turd in the right seat.

How many ANC "Purple Nuggets" might consider bidding it instead of a base transfer to MEM to be a 727 s/o? :eek:

pipe
03-03-2010, 11:57 AM
100 more MEM positions gone. If it wasn't for bad news.....................

PIPE

2005 Blues
03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
How many ANC "Purple Nuggets" might consider bidding it instead of a base transfer to MEM to be a 727 s/o? :eek:

Pretty sure all the nuggets who would rather do that than the 727 already bid HKG and are flying the airbus. I'd be pretty surprised to see many do it now.

But who knows what will happen when the company cranks up the "economic difficulties" machine and leaks rumors of furloughs, excesses, cats and dogs living together, etc again. :rolleyes:

FreightDawgyDog
03-03-2010, 01:45 PM

Now we can connect the dots all the way back to the FDA LOA and that lovely STV clause those crazy 32%'s like me tried to point out. We have seen how the company interprets 4a2b when they want to renege on BLG buyups. Now we will get a whole new reading on FDA LOA Section D! Enjoy involuntary HKG TDY's boys and girls! 30 days away from home while only earning normal BLG! We'll all be working for half pay like our tenured over 60 boys soon!

Sluggo_63
03-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Now we can connect the dots all the way back to the FDA LOA and that lovely STV clause those crazy 32%'s like me tried to point out. We have seen how the company interprets 4a2b when they want to renege on BLG buyups. Now we will get a whole new reading on FDA LOA Section D! Enjoy involuntary HKG TDY's boys and girls! 30 days away from home while only earning normal BLG! We'll all be working for half pay like our tenured over 60 boys soon!
Now all the MD guys/gals who voted for that POS LOA because "it won't affect me" will get to reap what they sow.

iarapilot
03-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Yep, could be the case!

MaydayMark
03-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Now all the MD guys/gals who voted for that POS LOA because "it won't affect me" will get to reap what they sow.

I only voted for it because OUR union reps told me it was a good deal and I am unable to think for myself?

The Walrus
03-03-2010, 03:51 PM

For non MD guys, what kind of problems are they having with the MD10, as well as the flying out of TPE?

Wildmanny
03-03-2010, 04:04 PM

You sound unduly harsh. Does this somehow affect your bid strategy? :eek:

Wildmanny

skypine27
03-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Double Post, see below:

skypine27
03-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Hong Kong's awesome! You get to back to college, only this time you're 40 or 50 years old, and mom and dad ain't paying for it! Sleep late, no yard, no car, heck not even a driveway to park it in. It rocks!

Here's what 2700 USD gets you on HK Island. There are 3 FOs in this building. One pays 2800 USD, one pays 2700 USD, and one pays 2200 USD, all for the exact same units. The one who "only" pays 2200 USD got a "good deal" because he came at the exact bottom of the World Economic Crisis when rents were at the rock bottom. The other two pay "normal" prices, which the 3rd guy will undoubtedly be forced to do by his chinese landlord when his lease is up for renewal.

497 sq feet of fine living!

Enjoy the pics:

Uncomfortable dinner for 2? A two burner hot-plate complete with a washing "machine" with no dryer! Forget about an oven in HK. You don't need one anyway. You gonna cook a turkey?? You can't fit in the refridge!
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/skypine27/DSC00874.jpg

The living "room", complete with prison lighting and a couch big enough for 1.5 people (or 2 people who really like each other)
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/skypine27/DSC00870.jpg

The master (and only) bedroom. Big enough to fit a queen size bed! As long as you hang half of it on the window sill:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/skypine27/DSC00877.jpg

The Walrus
03-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Nice...................................

MrSuupafly
03-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Hey look at the bright side, you're only a few minutes walk from Nana Banana, Old China Hand, Laguna, Neptune II and the other fine establishments in Wan Chai..:)

FDXLAG
03-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Are those bamboo floors; sign me up.

v1 uh-oh
03-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Is that a washing machine below your stove?
Very Nice!!

skypine27
03-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Is that a washing machine below your stove?
Very Nice!!

Yup.

Complete with no dryer. I guess you're supposed to hang up your wet towels and underwear in your living room so they can dry. Don't put any regular clothes in that machine, it just destroys them,

FDXLAG
03-03-2010, 07:22 PM
That actually looks like Al Gore's vision for America (for all the little people of course). You should be happy to have such a small carbon footprint. Put yourself in for a Nobel Prize.

skypine27
03-03-2010, 07:39 PM
That actually looks like Al Gore's vision for America (for all the little people of course). You should be happy to have such a small carbon footprint. Put yourself in for a Nobel Prize.

Glad I could help the environment with my 2700.

JohnnyViper
03-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Awesome pics. How about the view out the windows? Have any pictures of that?

FR8Hauler
03-04-2010, 03:08 AM

The purple nuggets are gone as of next month and any of them who were interested in HKG are already there.

FedExBusBoy
03-04-2010, 05:47 AM
Get some brighter linens and curtains......makes the room look bigger!;)

jagplt
03-04-2010, 05:54 AM

good thought, make it look like a 500 square foot place~ :p

NotsoFast
03-04-2010, 06:37 AM
Now that we've seen what 2700 buys in HKG, I wonder what it would buy in Paris? Maybe only half that size.....

onetime
03-04-2010, 07:32 AM
The beatings will continue until we are smart enough to take the club from the guy beating us and act like a union. Nice washerstove!! I wonder if that will catch on over here.

DaRaiders
03-04-2010, 01:36 PM

Uh, I'm pretty sure that has more to do with the hate between Taiwan and the Chi-coms. Hence, no direct flights between the two. I think it was just in the past year that pax flights resumed on a limited basis.

Regarding the hills in Asia: True, there are a lot of them; but most of the airports we fly in and out of are pretty close to see level. Not a lot of "hot and high" airports.

JethroFDX
03-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Not even close. Although it is nicer than my fraternity house, before it burned down, where are the little sisters and sorority chicks?:D

2005 Blues
03-04-2010, 01:51 PM

If you trim the bushes back around your deck, it might make it look bigger too :D

Wildmanny
03-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Come on Blues, you know you want to go over there! :D Better than a Boeing, even if you can't send the kids to $chool...

WM

AerisArmis
03-04-2010, 06:52 PM
moved.....................

2005 Blues
03-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Come on Blues, you know you want to go over there! :D Better than a Boeing, even if you can't send the kids to $chool...

WM

I could start my own slave shop making Coach bags or Oakley sunglasses. Dam, you might be on to something bro! :rolleyes:

Wildmanny
03-05-2010, 04:21 AM
I could start my own slave shop making Coach bags or Oakley sunglasses. Dam, you might be on to something bro! :rolleyes:

You could make all your kids the ones making all the fake stuff! :eek:

JethroFDX
03-05-2010, 06:53 AM

Your first product should be making a special edition fanny pack for some of the over 60 FFDO's I see limping through AOC.

DaRaiders
03-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Your first product should be making a special edition fanny pack for some of the over 60 FFDO's I see limping through AOC.

You could also make a matching colostomy bag for those guys, too.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1