Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : MD base HKG

Cargo Pirate
03-07-2010, 06:14 PM
This is second hand but our CEO is currently making the rounds in asia advertising a MD domicile in HKG with 100 crewmembers. Fight's on!

OffRoad5150
03-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Great. I remember Capt. O talking about "worst case" sending guys over for these "STV's" until slots are filled. He mentioned if you were in the military reserves or had a family "health issue" you would not have to go.

Cujo
03-07-2010, 08:01 PM
This is second hand but our CEO is currently making the rounds in asia advertising a MD domicile in HKG with 100 crewmembers. Fight's on!

...ahh, thought that was him at Sticky Fingers last night :D

skypine27
03-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Did he mention how many bids he thought it would take to fill the right seat?

frozenboxhauler
03-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Did he mention how many bids he thought it would take to fill the right seat?

Dont' worry, it'll go senior.
fbh

Skimmology
03-08-2010, 01:01 AM

Laughing_Jakal
03-08-2010, 06:40 AM
won't affect me...I'll never bid it

sparkmo
03-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Dont' worry, it'll go senior.
fbh

Obviously, you are a major proponent of hysteria

Buckwheat Jones
03-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Here's a novel concept:

If you want out of 4.a.2.b, the recent settlement agreement for the PSIT says one way out is if the Company hires a pilot. If no one bids any new FDA vacancy, the Company has 2 choices. Either cancel the plan or HIRE to fill the slots…if they choose the later then 4a2b over, if they cancel…leverage for a better FDA package.

Of course, this won't sit well with the semper me crowd.

JethroFDX
03-08-2010, 07:54 AM

Nice!!!!!!

AFW_MD11
03-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Here's a novel concept:

If you want out of 4.a.2.b, the recent settlement agreement for the PSIT says one way out is if the Company hires a pilot. If no one bids any new FDA vacancy, the Company has 2 choices. Either cancel the plan or HIRE to fill the slots…if they choose the later then 4a2b over, if they cancel…leverage for a better FDA package.

not a novel concept

proposed before with the Bus FO's in HKG - didn't work :(

company filled all slots by making folks choose between HKG FO and 727 SO

might work this time though.....more slots to fill this go around?? harder for the company to squeeze any more blood outta that threat/alternative - only time will tell

your concept is good, logical, forward thinking..... just not new

SeeDub
03-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Doesn't matter either way. Hire, come out of 4a2b, go back into 4a2b as soon as they are ready... contract doesn't say they can't, so we all know what that means.

2005 Blues
03-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Rumored excess.......rumored opening of FDA in Hong Kong. Where have we seen this played out before? Hmmmmm. Force guys to make the decision to keep wide body pay by going to a foreign domicile, or take a pay cut to stay stateside. That move in the playbook hasn't been made before has it? Oh yeah, nevermind. :D

Gunter
03-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Rumored excess.......

With the BUV rising to SAM in Sep, an excess from MEM A300 FO looks possible. From 727 CA and FO it looks likely.

I wonder how many MEM Airbus FOs and 727 CA and FOs are getting a pay boost in April.

Wildmanny
03-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Rumored excess.......rumored opening of FDA in Hong Kong. Where have we seen this played out before? Hmmmmm. Force guys to make the decision to keep wide body pay by going to a foreign domicile, or take a pay cut to stay stateside. That move in the playbook hasn't been made before has it? Oh yeah, nevermind. :D

Don't worry about it Blues, just get back to making another video! We're bored! :D

WM

2005 Blues
03-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Don't worry about it Blues, just get back to making another video! We're bored! :D

WM

Too busy trying to figure out how to start the dam engines . . . :confused:

McLuvinMemphis

MeXC
03-09-2010, 09:48 AM
power, power, pump, pump, panel, packs, pressure...If you simply repeat this the engines self-start.

FDXLAG
03-09-2010, 09:58 AM
It has been a while but isn't #1 the hot start, #2 the hung start, and #3 no ignition?

Kooky
03-09-2010, 11:27 AM
HKG bid out this week, if not filled, Airbus excess. Standby for another no "vaseline" tour. Same play from the book as mentioned above.

Check 6
03-09-2010, 11:47 AM
HKG bid out this week, if not filled, Airbus excess. Standby for another no "vaseline" tour. Same play from the book as mentioned above.

This FRI at 1201 CST to be exact......;)

Overnitefr8
03-09-2010, 12:24 PM
This FRI at 1201 CST to be exact......;)

See, now we know you're bluffing. We all know that bids come out at 1700 CST on Fridays so that management can leave the building for the weekend without having to answer questions. :rolleyes:

Dadof6
03-09-2010, 12:32 PM
I kept wondering what was driving our FDX stock price higher the last couple weeks...now we know. Call me "About to be excessed A-300 Trunk Monkey." Unless enough of y'all MD-11 folks bid HKG for the "Adventure Factor." Like an episode of Fear Factor--only it goes on indefinitely.:rolleyes:

Wildmanny
03-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Why do this HKG MD thing now? Why not wait to see what the flying might be like a ways down the road and then adjust at that time and/or have another bid. Is the intention to have both airplanes in HKG (CAN) and then grow new markets? I haven't heard anyone with the intel on what we're going to do with the MD down there. Unless you kill Anchorage and fly the Pacific eastbound. Which would blow...

Anyone know how all this would or wouldn't affect LAX?

I don't really get the benefit of this (standard).

WM :confused:

AFW_MD11
03-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Why do this HKG MD thing now? ...WM :confused:

possibly starting the process early because...

1) they don't expect to get enough (any) takers on the first HKG MD posting

2) gives them time to cancel the first posting and re-issue it a second time in conjunction with an excess bid (stay in 4A2b and threaten furlough)

3) allowing them time to tweak (cancel) the second posting/excess in order to further refine (bump/flush) - while also filling vacancies in the 777 and 757 (it's a very tricky/laborious process to get it "realigned" just like they want it)

4) during which time the new VP of Draconian Measures (err.....uh...Efficiency) will be able to get his/her feet wet, slash some budgets, reprogram the optimizer (in the interests of "Safety First" of course), find a few more loopholes in the contract to exploit...etc.

it's about a 2-year process from start to finish.....so they have to start now??

(besides....they have to sucker everyone they can into HKG now so they can leave the really cherry FDA assignment in London open for the A-team players after everyone else is locked in to HKG)

that's my guess

Tractor Bob
03-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Heard from my ACP that it is due to the pending PRM regarding 60 hours of rest after each and every pond crossings. You heard it here first. TB

Unknown Rider
03-10-2010, 08:47 AM

Here are the six main aspects of the settlement:

1) The return of the PSIT to its full duties, beginning with April bid period;

2) New soft parameters and limitations on the normal override provision so that PSIT may create safe, quality pairings and lines;

3) A graduated “Buy Up Value” to our BLGs which eases the financial impact of Section 4.A.2.b. referenced to the System-wide Average Metric (SAM). The SAM is another name for the calculation used to determine credit hours paid to former DC-10 pilots who have yet to be retrained (CBA Section 25.C.8). For reference, the SAM for March is 66:09 CHs;

4) Language which defines an exit from Section 4.A.2.b. ;

5) Language which restricts re-entry into Section 4.A.2.b.;

6) Language which maintains the integrity of Grievances 09-02 and 09-04 so that arbitrator can issue proper rulings in those matters

Gunter
03-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Heard from my ACP that it is due to the pending PRM regarding 60 hours of rest after each and every pond crossings. You heard it here first. TB

That's a bold statement T. Bob.

This would have a big effect pairings and increase the number of MD11 crewmembers required. This would create a vacancy posting for MEM MD11 to go along with a HKG MD11 posting.

Cargo Pirate
03-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Just jumpseated next to a mechanic. He is headed to SIN for a month to teach them how to do C checks on MD-10s.