Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : FDX 757 gouge help

FlynLow
03-09-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm going into 757 training in April, from the MD11.

Does anyone have a good source of gouge and recommendations of things to review/learn, prior to training.

Any help/recommendations appreciated.:)

Jetjok
03-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Yours is the universal question for anyone transitioning from one airplane to another. I'm sure there's plenty of gouge out there, but why not start with the usual stuff. Learn all the limitations and memory items for the emergency procedures. If you know all that stuff on the first day of class, you'll be well on your way to a successful transition. Good luck. I always wanted to fly the 75, as in my opinion, it's the second best looking commercial jet around. Right behind the DC-8-73 that is.

JJ

Boeing Bum
03-09-2010, 11:51 AM
I'd suggest the following:

1. learn the limitations and phase ones in the AFM - if you don't have your manuals yet, you can review them on PFC

2. get enrolled in LMS and get it done PRIOR to starting class - this will get you prepared for the systems classes

3. if you get 1&2 done before your class date, you might want to start reviewing the flows

TX1522
03-09-2010, 12:09 PM
PM me for some gouge.

Overnitefr8
03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Unless they've fixed the LMS in the last 6 months, many/most people found they couldn't do the LMS on their home computers because the software wasn't compatible. You might have to do it in the AOC or gucci building learning centers

Precontact
03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Curious...do you have Pegasus FMCs in your 757s?

MX727
03-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Review the systems manual, specifically, the depictions of the panels with the accompanying text that explains what each switch does and what each light means. That should make the systems part of the course a breeze. Then you can get down to making the thing go.

pipe
03-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Honestly if you're comfortable on the MD-11, I'd just relax and show up on time for day one of ground school.

You'll find everything to be similar to the -11 but about 75% less complex.

PIPE

KnightFlyer
03-09-2010, 04:36 PM
No pilot left behind

767pilot
03-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Do you have memory items? We've gotten rid of most of ours and the rest are on the way out. It's not a hard airplane to learn (learning the 75 and the 76 at the same time on the other hand is a *****...). Enjoy it, and look forward to the day that you trade them in for 76's!

Unknown Rider
03-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Do you have memory items? We've gotten rid of most of ours and the rest are on the way out. It's not a hard airplane to learn (learning the 75 and the 76 at the same time on the other hand is a *****...). Enjoy it, and look forward to the day that you trade them in for 76's!

So If you have a GPWS activation you're going to pull out the QRH?

Precontact
03-09-2010, 07:09 PM

Never was a memory item, ala takeoff abort. We all have to be pilots once in awhile ya know...

Doogs
03-09-2010, 07:13 PM
If you have the manuals, study per the guidance above.

The LMS is time consuming and not terribly exciting. If you can get it done for credit before you get here, you can do it in smaller, more manageable chunks. It has been rewritten recently in Flash and works much better over the web than previous versions, so disregard the requirements and try it to see if it works for you.

Login and go here: LMS (https://pilot.fedex.com/training/LMS_link.mcomp)

Let me reiterate that you'll want to do this once, and get credit the first time.

320Driver
03-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Sim Stuff- Single engine= 7.0# fuel flow straight and level. 4.0# descents, and 5.0# to 5.5# for a S.E. ILS. Try it, it works like a charm. V1 cut, remember VBAR FMC. V= vert. speed plus 200'. B= bug clean man. speed. A= auto throttle arm switch off. R= retract flaps on sched. F= FLT LVL change. M= max cont. thrust. C= check list (eng failure/fire) Enjoy the airplane- you will love it...

767pilot
03-10-2010, 06:05 PM
here's another sim tip. Whatever the fuel flow is, that is how many rudder trim units you need. 5000#=5 units of trip (SE ILS as mentioned). 7000#= 7 units. The trim moves about one unit per second, so that will help you set the trim in the ball park without having to move your head

JustUnderPar
03-10-2010, 08:46 PM

......................:D

frozenboxhauler
03-10-2010, 11:41 PM

Only if it's night IMC,...If day VFR, "John Wayne-ing" is allowed.
fbh