Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New FDX VP

BooyaOhYeah
03-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Well, the rumors were kind of true?

Issue Date: 03/12/10 1902z
Source: Jim Parker
Suspense: 12/31/10
Approved: Paul Cassel

It gives me great pleasure to announce the appointment of James (Jim) F.
Gorman to the newly created position of Vice President, Flight Training and
Standards, within the Air Operations Division. Jim will join the AOD team
on March 22, 2010. In this position Jim will work closely with Paul Cassel,
Vice President of Flight Operations, to continue to enhance the excellent
work already underway to improve safety in the air operations.

With the introduction of the 757, 777, ETOPS and our impending conversion
to a Flag/Domestic Operating Certificate, air operations has become ever
more sophisticated and complex. After carefully evaluating the tremendous
impact on workload and span of control engendered by these changes, the
leadership role within Flight Operations has been divided with two officers
focusing on specific areas while working in tandem to make our operation
even safer and more responsive to our customers.

To accomplish this, as of March 22, Bob Gasko, Managing Director, Flight
Standards and Tech Support, and Brian Ward, Managing Director, Flight and
Tech Training and their organizations will report to Jim Gorman. The
remaining Flight Operations Managing Directors and their organizations will
continue to report to Paul Cassel.

Jim comes to us with over thirty years of aviation experience, most
recently being the Vice President of Standards and Training at NetJets
Aviation. Prior to that, he was the Managing Director of Flight Training
and Standards at US Airways, where he led the integration of the Training
and Standards functions during the America West-US Airways merger. Before
being named Managing Director, he was the Boeing Fleet Captain. While at US
Airways, he spent twenty-six years flying a variety of aircraft and was
last qualified in the 757/767. In the mid-1990s he was a contributor to
their major safety turnaround as a lead Check Airman. Jim has a B.S. degree
from Embry Riddle and over 13,000 hours of flight time in a variety of
aircraft.

I am very excited to have Jim join our team. He will bring different
experiences, a fresh perspective and new ideas to how we do business and
will work closely with the Flight team to develop and implement innovative
programs to enhance how we train and check our flight crews.

Please join me in welcoming Jim Gorman to the FedEx Express team!

James R. Parker
Senior Vice President
Air Operations
FedEx Express

The Walrus
03-12-2010, 03:33 PM
James F Gorman | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/people/James-F-Gorman/100000550732357)

Evidently, he enjoys soap operas, Big Brother, and playing Farmville, but they left that out of the FCIF.

AerisArmis
03-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Not sure how to take this? They hire an outsider, a bit unusual I'd say. They also take some stuff off PCs plate. The last time that happened, Bruce Cheever ended up with the whole pie and Scott Sandwick was left high and dry. Maybe this guy is being groomed for something bigger......like the whole pie when PC retires? Ah, office politics from the perspective of the unwashed masses. It's like a couple Cockneys speculating on the goings on at Buckingham Palace. Whatever the intrigue, I know one thing, I'll be the last to know.

DaRaiders
03-12-2010, 04:22 PM
James F Gorman | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/people/James-F-Gorman/100000550732357)

Evidently, he enjoys soap operas, Big Brother, and playing Farmville, but they left that out of the FCIF.

Don't know if can get along with this guy. I'm more of a MobWars guy, myself.

DaRaiders
03-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Not sure how to take this? They hire an outsider, a bit unusual I'd say. They also take some stuff off PCs plate. The last time that happened, Bruce Cheever ended up with the whole pie and Scott Sandwick was left high and dry. Maybe this guy is being groomed for something bigger......like the whole pie when PC retires? Ah, office politics from the perspective of the unwashed masses. It's like a couple Cockneys speculating on the goings on at Buckingham Palace. Whatever the intrigue, I know one thing, I'll be the last to know.

And it's a good thing I would say.

727C47
03-12-2010, 04:46 PM
he was our head of training at netjets,good guy, tried to introduce some good training.

vschip
03-12-2010, 04:50 PM
tried to introduce some good training.

Does that mean the training he tried to introduce didn't stick??

skypine27
03-12-2010, 05:49 PM
At least he went to Riddle.

MajorKong
03-12-2010, 06:03 PM

Wildmanny
03-12-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm willing to give this new guy a good chance. I think we need a fresh perspective on what we're doing. Maybe this is a start.

WM

FedElta
03-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Hey Major,

Uh, you are a professional airline pilot, right ? :confused:

Regards,
BG

The Walrus
03-12-2010, 06:12 PM
So, let me get this straight. Our VP of flight ops can't handle the load of flying and training and standards. So, our VP of flight ops just now handles operational flying, and we have another VP.

We also still have the MD (managing director) of training and MD of Standards. I thought they were suppose to handle that aspect for the VP of Flight Ops. Apparently not. It was overwhelming PC. So either MD of Training and MD of Standards were not doing their job and overwhelming PC, or PC is a bad manager.

So, the answer to the problem is from the VP of AOD:
Create another VP position and better yet hire from outside. Is this because of accidents?

Now, I don't have a problem with hiring from outside to solve a problem. But, why hire a guy that was a career school house pogue from US Air and probably lost his job then went to Net Jets.
We always complain about our own inbreeding and now we are hiring somebody else's inbreeding to change our inbreeding.

Rossi, Gasko can't possibility be happy with this decision. After all of the BJ's he gave Cheever and Cassell, he has got to be ****ed to not get the new VP position. And, he had to sit thru Cassell trying to scrape the tail off the triple 7 in IAD.

I am guessing a guy like him will have no problem swallowing the new VP's load. Like everything else, if you go past moderation, you become addicted. I thing Gasko is probably suffering (or will) from LSI. (Low Spe_rm Intake). Being the addict he is, he will drop to his knees soon.

I guess that is one way of looking at it.:eek:

MajorKong
03-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Hey Major,

Regards,
BG

Yes, and I want to retire when I am 60 and have a real life and not take a job away from a young pilot with a dream of the glamorous life.

Fedex999999
03-12-2010, 06:20 PM
I am more shocked they hired a civilian?? Ack!

The Walrus
03-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I think that we are all civilians aren't we?

iarapilot
03-12-2010, 07:24 PM

Thanks for reminding those who need reminding. ;)

iarapilot
03-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Ya think he will get to read the Enders report! Or, even be made aware of the fact that there is one!!

The Walrus
03-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks for reminding those who need reminding. ;)

I used to be a non-civilian for 20 years, but those days are over.:cool:

Strut
03-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Looks to me like we're saving the pension of someones buddy from USair. Perhaps some stimulus money will now be coming our way.

skypine27
03-12-2010, 10:13 PM

Bingo.

I've made the exact same comment numerous times to some of my colleagues here who seem to have forgotten.

KnightFlyer
03-13-2010, 03:45 AM
V.P. Flight Training and Standards
NetJets
September 2007 — Present (2 years 7 months)

Managing Director of Flight Training and Standards
US Airways
April 1981 — August 2007 (26 years 5 months)
Managing Director of Flight Training and Standards

Boeing 737/757/767 Fleet Captain, Senior Check Airmen

Flew the 727, 737, 757, 767
-------------------------------
NetJets
Getting In The Cockpit
Although NetJets currently advertises a minimum requirement of 2,500 hours total time, including 500 hours in turbine equipment, Vice President of Training and Standardization Jim Gorman says new hires consistently have experience well above these minima. “The average new-hire copilot,” says Gorman, “has about 7,500 hours total time and a thousand or more turbine hours.” NetJets attracts many of the relatively few military pilots entering the civilian world, but most of its new hires come from regional and even major airlines (this includes pilots disenchanted with airline pay scales and uncertainty or those looking for the excitement of flying nearly new airplanes to uncommon destinations all over the world).

Once hired, the new pilot reports to Gorman for three months or more of indoctrination and training. Company training at NetJets’ headquarters emphasizes customer-service skills, followed by training with FlightSafety International, appropriate to the airplane type that NetJets selects for the pilot (NetJets operates 14 different jet models). Says Gorman, regardless of the pilot’s experience in type, all new hires go through the FlightSafety “initial” course for the airplane, trained “up to and including the type rating” for the aircraft to ensure a standard level of training for all NetJets pilots. After initial training, the pilot is assigned to one of more than 100 domestic domiciles “of the pilot’s choosing.”

JethroFDX
03-13-2010, 06:33 AM
Bingo.

I've made the exact same comment numerous times to some of my colleagues here who seem to have forgotten.

Get the lanyard!:cool:

Busboy
03-13-2010, 06:33 AM
Frank Gorman...Frank Gorman...Where have I heard that name before?

Wasn't he always bugging Bruce Wayne in Gotham City? Yah, that's it. He was The Riddler on the Batman TV series!

http://www.bat-mania.co.uk/main/villains/images/frank_gorshin_riddler1.jpg

Maybe he can solve the riddle of drafting while we're overmanned.:rolleyes:

Busboy
03-13-2010, 06:36 AM
My bad...That was Frank Gorshin, not Frank Gorman.

I still think we could use him. Maybe we could hire him to take over David's place in Contract Enforcement.

boost
03-13-2010, 06:49 AM
I am personally very upset that it was not a Fedex guy that was selected for this position.
That is a very important position, and not to mention a very good paying job at our company. I have flown with a whole lot of colonels, mbas, former standards check airmen, etc. that are more than capable of performing that job. I am kind of amazed that everybody is so accepting. So where are the good guys from the inside who are up for these positions? And why can't we get the good guys in there? This is a really bad situation...

taylorjets
03-13-2010, 07:03 AM

This has to be the funniest thing I have seen in a while...

MaydayMark
03-13-2010, 07:27 AM

Well ... maybe if I get "called on the carpet" I'll be able to distract the guy by talking about his favorite soap? Always good to know :D

meatloaf
03-13-2010, 07:40 AM
My bad...That was Frank Gorshin, not Frank Gorman.

I still think we could use him. Maybe we could hire him to take over David's place in Contract Enforcement.

Nicely done! lol

Cujo
03-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Frank Gorman...Frank Gorman...Where have I heard that name before?

Wasn't he always bugging Bruce Wayne in Gotham City? Yah, that's it. He was The Riddler on the Batman TV series!

http://www.bat-mania.co.uk/main/villains/images/frank_gorshin_riddler1.jpg

Maybe he can solve the riddle of drafting while we're overmanned.:rolleyes:

... I always thought he was the best ... loved the laugh

Busdrivr
03-13-2010, 07:54 AM
I am personally very upset that it was not a Fedex guy that was not selected for this position.
That is a very important position, and not to mention a very good paying job at our company. I have flown with a whole lot of colonels, mbas, former standards check airmen, etc. that are more than capable of performing that job. I am kind of amazed that everybody is so accepting. So where are the good guys from the inside who are up for these positions? And why can't we get the good guys in there? This is a really bad situation...

You're worng. There were many non FedEx guys who were not selected for this job.

frozenboxhauler
03-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Hey Major,

Regards,
BG

BG, I've been around for a while too, but you don't have a dog in this hunt any more,...you need to step back.

FedElta
03-13-2010, 09:13 AM
In the macro sense, I believe we all share common ground in the conduct of our profession....I don't believe you have to lower yourself to your enemie's level to combat him.....it only serves to lower you as well.

However , point taken, I appreciate your thought and your ability to deliver it without attack. I should have done a better job of that on my original post.

Apologies to all,
BG

Wildmanny
03-13-2010, 09:15 AM
I am personally very upset that it was not a Fedex guy that was not selected for this position.

It's not that we don't have good guys in there. We do. But there is a mentality that seems to have taken hold in and around AOD that isn't so great. Call it the good old boy club, the "Bubba" factor, whatever. Unfortunately Boost, some of the guys that pull the levers aren't the guys you necessarily want doing it--they've become less pilot and more political, something you probably have to be in order to move up. Wait, that sounds like the military. Nothing against the Colonels, but I'd rather have the Captains and Majors running the show. The line grunts are the ones with the perspective and probably some fresher ideas. Now, I'm not sure how to convince the powers that be to let the line grunts (you know, the ones who don't score the touchdowns) have a seat at the table...AND maintain their good guyness.

That being said, perhaps this new guy can bring in a little different look. I'm just saying that something we're doing culturewise isn't working. So we either change the players or change the culture. One way or the other, we need some new eyes. My vote would be for a lot less Chiefs and more Indians (no offense to any PCers out there).

So, for now, we change some players. I'm willing to give it a chance.

Hopeful,

WM :cool:

Cujo
03-13-2010, 09:20 AM
It's not that we don't have good guys in there. We do. But there is a mentality that seems to have taken hold in and around AOD that isn't so great. Call it the good old boy club, the "Bubba" factor, whatever. Unfortunately Boost, some of the guys that pull the levers aren't the guys you necessarily want doing it--they've become less pilot and more political, something you probably have to be in order to move up. Wait, that sounds like the military. Nothing against the Colonels, but I'd rather have the Captains and Majors running the show. The line grunts are the ones with the perspective and probably some fresher ideas. Now, I'm not sure how to convince the powers that be to let the line grunts (you know, the ones who don't score the touchdowns) have a seat at the table...AND maintain their good guyness.

That being said, perhaps this new guy can bring in a little different look. I'm just saying that something we're doing culturewise isn't working. So we either change the players or change the culture. One way or the other, we need some new eyes. My vote would be for a lot less Chiefs and more Indians (no offense to any PCers out there).

Hopeful,

not bad ... I can agree to that. Let's give it a chance :cool:

bleedairpacks
03-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Maybe he'll dump 4a2b. I can't hold my breath that long though.

Purple Promised? :(

AFW_MD11
03-13-2010, 09:43 AM
/.....something we're doing culturewise isn't working. So we either change the players or change the culture.......So, for now, we change some players. I'm willing to give it a chance.

Hopeful,

News Flash!

The "something we're doing culturewise" here at FedEx is

1) majority of our flying is back side of the body clock
2) schedules are being optimized to increase the adverse effects of this type of flying - and less time to recover from it
3) scheduling efficiency and cost savings are higher priorities than SAFETY
4) you can't train a person to NOT become fatigued flying this type of flying
5) you CAN intimidate a person to fly fatigued in spite of better judgement to the contrary
6) we continue to hack the mission and fly fatigued and statistically we've been extremely lucky to have only lost 2 out of 4500 +/- pilots so far

until/unless this new VP or someone else of equal/higher position in this company changes some or all of these "culture" issues, nothing will be different/better/SAFER (for the pilot group)

hamfisted
03-13-2010, 09:48 AM
A fresh perspective is needed. An outsider's viewpoint could make Fedex a safer place to go to work. I have no problem with a new set of eyes analyzing how we do our jobs. I can't name any of the guys he will now be in charge of that I would trust with this job.

FreightDawgyDog
03-13-2010, 10:19 AM

Hopeful,

That' a great analogy about Captains running the place instead of Colonels. The problem is anyone who comes into this job and decides things need to change that will cost FedEx money, (ie do away with 4a2b and the optimizer) will be followed quickly with the FCIF about their decision to return to the line or retire.

When I was in Squadron Officer's School, we had a lecturer that was a lobbyist for military reform. One of the things he wanted reformed was the promotion system. The way he saw it, the Lieutenants and Captains were all mavericks that swore when they were in charge they would not forget the issues on the line that needed to be changed and make those changes ASAP when they were promoted. Then they make Major, but before they can pin it on they go through a minor surgical procedure where small incision is made at the base of their spine. A Colonel then sticks his finger in the incision and hooks it around the spinal cord and in one strong tug removes the Captains Brain, Backbone and Balls. Now he is truly ready to be upper management. In other words, now that he is a career man and wants to keep getting promoted he begins to toe the company line, just like his superiors have done for years. I have great hopes for our new VP but do not think for a minute he will push for any changes that will cost this company money and him his job . I do share your sentiment about giving him a chance though and certainly wish him all the success in the world at improving our safety record here.

MEMFO4Ever
03-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Pete wrote it best, "Meet the new boss same as the old boss."

Hopefully we Won't Get Fooled Again. But I doubt it.

A suit's a suit. Count on it.

MX727
03-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Hopefully he can fix the "military mentality" FedEx has had and merge the Training and the Flight Standards departments into one unified department like virtually every other major airline.

Busboy
03-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Maybe he'll dump 4a2b. I can't hold my breath that long though.

Purple Promised? :(

Yah, maybe the new VP of Flt Training and Standards will dump 4A2b. And then maybe we can get the VP of Ground Equipment Maintenance to turn off the optimizer, too.:rolleyes:

ptarmigan
03-13-2010, 02:23 PM
/

News Flash!

The "something we're doing culturewise" here at FedEx is

1) majority of our flying is back side of the body clock
2) schedules are being optimized to increase the adverse effects of this type of flying - and less time to recover from it
3) scheduling efficiency and cost savings are higher priorities than SAFETY
4) you can't train a person to NOT become fatigued flying this type of flying
5) you CAN intimidate a person to fly fatigued in spite of better judgement to the contrary
6) we continue to hack the mission and fly fatigued and statistically we've been extremely lucky to have only lost 2 out of 4500 +/- pilots so far

until/unless this new VP or someone else of equal/higher position in this company changes some or all of these "culture" issues, nothing will be different/better/SAFER (for the pilot group)

What percentage of accidents/incidents are fatigue related?

AFW_MD11
03-13-2010, 05:21 PM
What percentage of accidents/incidents are fatigue related?

at FedEx?

define "related"

if "related" = fatigue cited/mentioned as a causal and/or contributing factor in the safety report (accidents)......?

I'm not sure 'cause I haven't read them all, but I would venture a fairly certain guess that the % (by that definition) would approach 100%

frozenboxhauler
03-13-2010, 06:38 PM
In the macro sense, I believe we all share common ground in the conduct of our profession....I don't believe you have to lower yourself to your enemie's level to combat him.....it only serves to lower you as well.

However , point taken, I appreciate your thought and your ability to deliver it without attack. I should have done a better job of that on my original post.

Apologies to all,
BG

FedElta, I'm sorry, I owe you an apology. I didn't read (before it was removed) the post that you were refering to. I've seen it now attached in another posting. Once again, sorry for the body slam.
Cheers,
fbh

HazCan
03-13-2010, 06:53 PM
FedElta, I'm sorry, I owe you an apology. I didn't read (before it was removed) the post that you were refering to. I've seen it now attached in another posting. Once again, sorry for the body slam.
Cheers,
fbh

Such a gentleman among the beasts!! :D

AerisArmis
03-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Such a gentleman among the beasts!! :D

Gentleman? That's him in his avatar, guarding an outhouse for crying out loud! Do gentlemen guard outhouses? I guess he figures his deposits are somehow valuable. Back to the thread. I, for one, am very disappointed for all those guys who figured they were in line for PCs job and now are wondering if all those decisions they've made recently, will haunt them when the house cleaning comes. I plan on welcoming each and every one of them back to the line with a hearty handshake and a "thanks for the effort". I'll do that because I'm a great guy, according to me!

FlyByNite
03-14-2010, 05:11 AM
When I was in Squadron Officer's School,..... .

Squadron Officer's School? What kind of BS, politically correct, air farce school is that? Also, what did you do for extra credit in that institution of higher learning...watch Oprah, Rosie, and Ellen?

Paddles
03-14-2010, 05:23 AM
Squadron Officer's School? What kind of BS, politically correct, air farce school is that? Also, what did you do for extra credit in that institution of higher learning...watch Oprah, Rosie, and Ellen?

I don't care who you are, that's funny right thar!

FreightDawgyDog
03-14-2010, 05:57 AM

Actually we studied "The Great Santini" and discussed how an Air Force Pilot could have saved that disabled plane, had a kid that didn't work as a Caddy with Ted Knight, and taught him how to cut the other kid's hammy without being caught by the ref and tossed from the game!

Besides, back then it would have been Donahue since Oprah was still stretching jeans to their structural limits on local Chicago TV..

AerisArmis
03-14-2010, 12:48 PM

Yep, it's a school. I'll bet you thought your spell checker was on the fritz when it kept rejecting "skool".

Perro Loco
03-14-2010, 02:28 PM
........ Back to the thread. I, for one, am very disappointed for all those guys who figured they were in line for PCs job and now are wondering if all those decisions they've made recently, will haunt them when the house cleaning comes. I plan on welcoming each and every one of them back to the line with a hearty handshake and a "thanks for the effort". I'll do that because I'm a great guy, according to me!

AA --I agree, you are a great guy. You'll also be considered for the "Mother Teresa" award when you welcome LK back!! :D

hamfisted
03-15-2010, 09:07 AM
In order to welcome them "back" to the line......don't they have to have spent at least some time actually flying the line at some point during their careers?

Busboy
03-15-2010, 11:03 AM
In order to welcome them "back" to the line......don't they have to have spent at least some time actually flying the line at some point during their careers?

I'm not sure about the rest of them...But, PC flew an entire career's worth of trips in the few years he was on the line.

pipe
03-16-2010, 05:51 PM
This new guy is gonna stroll in and this is what he's gonna think (after being at US Air:

1) Holy crap - look at those pay scales.

2) Fatigue? Look how short those critical period duty days are scheduled for!!

3) Eight years and you're a 777 FO -- holy crap?

4) Holy crap - look at those pay scales.

Well Mr. New FedEx Management guy - allow me to respond to your initial impressions one by one:

1) Pay rates suck compared to UA / DAL of a decade ago. Not to mention that this company PRINTS greenbacks compared to any other airline.

2) Until you've stayed awake all night day after day, week after week, you just don't don't know the toll it takes. I'm sure you flew a couple of all-nighters during your career and, as such, you think you "get it". Well -- you don't.

3) We gave $20 million in negotiating capital for an ultra widebody pay rate. The 777 is that airplane. Where's our $20 million?

4) Our pay rates suck. They are more than a decade behind where they ought to be.

PIPE

FedElta
03-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Hey Pipe,

ANY bubba from ANY legacy carrier who strolls into FedEx is going to think 1---4. Trust me on this one.:D

Regards,
BG

Daniel Larusso
03-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Pipe,

Usair has only hired a handful(probably less than a 100 or so) since 1999-2000. The overwhelming majority of their guys have been their longer so they've experienced the higher payscales that were above our current ones.

Deuce130
03-16-2010, 11:33 PM
This new guy is gonna stroll in and this is what he's gonna think (after being at US Air:

1) Holy crap - look at those pay scales.

2) Fatigue? Look how short those critical period duty days are scheduled for!!

3) Eight years and you're a 777 FO -- holy crap?

4) Holy crap - look at those pay scales.

Well Mr. New FedEx Management guy - allow me to respond to your initial impressions one by one:

1) Pay rates suck compared to UA / DAL of a decade ago. Not to mention that this company PRINTS greenbacks compared to any other airline.

2) Until you've stayed awake all night day after day, week after week, you just don't don't know the toll it takes. I'm sure you flew a couple of all-nighters during your career and, as such, you think you "get it". Well -- you don't.

3) We gave $20 million in negotiating capital for an ultra widebody pay rate. The 777 is that airplane. Where's our $20 million?

4) Our pay rates suck. They are more than a decade behind where they ought to be.

PIPE

I love this post.

ptarmigan
03-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Hey Pipe,

ANY bubba from ANY legacy carrier who strolls into FedEx is going to think 1---4. Trust me on this one.:D

Regards,
BG

Careful, you'll ruin his fantasy!

v1 uh-oh
03-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Am I missing something? I didn't see a paragraph in his bio about all the military jets he has flown. This guy has no military experience and he is a VP at FedEx? I thought that was a requirement for any job of any importance here. He really is an outsider.

990Convair
03-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Sat next to a USAir pilot and he said JG was a good guy. He said he really cleaned up the standards at USAir, implemented FOQUA successfully over there, and in general was very well liked.

III Corps
03-18-2010, 03:06 AM
I've known Jim for quite some time. I knew him at USAir when he was a check airman and running a few innovative programs. I also met with him after he left USAir to go to NetJets and asked around. Once again the guys I talked to had nothing bad to say. They noted that he had tried to bring AQP and other programs into NetJets.

When I was in the training dept, the guys I worked with and for, including Jim, put the line pilot at the front of the line. As a check airman tasked with providing the best training, the emphasis was to do whatever was necessary to help or assist the line pilot leave training better trained and better prepared. You were there to SERVE the line pilot. Egos got checked at the door and peckerheads who were on powertrips were counseled or asked to find work elsewhere.

Jim is no dummy and no puppet. He is a fellow of integrity and honesty. He has and I expect will keep the line pilot's needs, concerns and gripes at the forefront.

Busboy
03-18-2010, 07:48 AM
I've known Jim for quite some time. I knew him at USAir when he was a check airman and running a few innovative programs. I also met with him after he left USAir to go to NetJets and asked around. Once again the guys I talked to had nothing bad to say. They noted that he had tried to bring AQP and other programs into NetJets.

When I was in the training dept, the guys I worked with and for, including Jim, put the line pilot at the front of the line. As a check airman tasked with providing the best training, the emphasis was to do whatever was necessary to help or assist the line pilot leave training better trained and better prepared. You were there to SERVE the line pilot. Egos got checked at the door and peckerheads who were on powertrips were counseled or asked to find work elsewhere.

Jim is no dummy and no puppet. He is a fellow of integrity and honesty. He has and I expect will keep the line pilot's needs, concerns and gripes at the forefront.

With that in mind...I'd put the over/under at about 12 months.:rolleyes:

III Corps
03-18-2010, 10:30 AM
With that in mind...I'd put the over/under at about 12 months.:rolleyes:

"over/under"?

MaydayMark
03-18-2010, 10:41 AM

OK ... that's a REALLY good recommendation. A change from the good-ole-boy (brother-in-law) FedEx mgt/training club could be a welcome change.

I'm prepared to give him a fair chance.

Mark

MaydayMark
03-18-2010, 10:44 AM
This guy has no military experience and he is a VP at FedEx? I thought that was a requirement for any job of any importance here. He really is an outsider.

What qualifications does PC have for his job? (besides his desire to "pork" the crew force, and his brand new shiny 777 rating)

The Walrus
03-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I'll take the over. It takes well more than 12 months for anyone to make a decision at Fedex.

Overnitefr8
03-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I'll take the over. It takes well more than 12 months for anyone to make a decision at Fedex.

That's slightly incorrect. They make a decision, cancel it, make a decision, cancel it, etc.

III Corps
03-18-2010, 03:21 PM
OK ... that's a REALLY good recommendation. A change from the good-ole-boy (brother-in-law) FedEx mgt/training club could be a welcome change. I'm prepared to give him a fair chance.

Mark

You should. He is not some company poodle. He was at USAir during the dark days when we were creating smokin' holes, our contract was being gutted and the heat from the USAir/PI/PSA merger was still smoldering. Jim was not distracted from working for the line pilot. It is almost trite and cliche'd but he really believes in train like you fly and fly like you train.

If you get a chance to talk to him, you will find he has a passion for doing it right and for improvements not so he can pad his resume' but because he believes in serving the line pilot by providing the BEST training available.

JDriver
03-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Will he be considered a new-hire? Will a senority number be issued to him?

Can this be considered hiring while in 4a2b or does the company hire folks into positions like this straght off the street often?

Thanks.

AerisArmis
03-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Will he be considered a new-hire? Will a senority number be issued to him?

Can this be considered hiring while in 4a2b or does the company hire folks into positions like this straght off the street often?

Thanks.

Interesting question. He is typed in the 757 and he is gonna be overseeing standards and training. Maybe he'll get recurrent and bump a very happy 757 Capt once in a while. I guess to do this he'd have to be on the seniority list.....or not. New territory here and a bit murky I'd say. I guess our ALPA dudes would know the answer.

The Walrus
03-18-2010, 04:10 PM
If he is young enough to fly, he would have to be put at the bottom of the seniority list, or not fly on any revenue flights.

FDXCapt
03-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I guess to do this he'd have to be on the seniority list.....or not. New territory here and a bit murky I'd say. I guess our ALPA dudes would know the answer.

No ALPA guy needed to figure this one out. Not new territory or murky - it's already in black and white.
1.B. Scope, Operation of Company Aircraft
The Company's revenue flights (including Company revenue charter flights), conducted with aircraft owned, leased, or operated within the domestic or international operations described below, conducted with aircraft over 60,000 lbs. MTOGW, shall be flown only by pilots whose names appear on the Federal Express Master Seniority List in accordance with the terms of the Agreement.

BooyaOhYeah
03-18-2010, 08:28 PM
I heard there were like 20-25 professional instructors and corporate pilots who are contractually overdue to come to the line. Some by 2 years? That would definitely count if they were brought on board per their contract.

Of course, my understanding is that they are getting screwed to because of 4.A.2.B. The company has interpreted "reduction of crew workforce" in their contract to mean 4.A.2.B is a furlough and keeping them from the line. Doesn't seem fair...especially if some where supposed to be on the line 2 years ago.

III Corps
03-19-2010, 05:46 AM
If he is young enough to fly, he would have to be put at the bottom of the seniority list, or not fly on any revenue flights.

Why would Gorman fly a line trip? And if he did, wouldn't the trip be bought for the seat? And if everyone gets paid, the issue is...???

FDXLAG
03-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Why would Gorman fly a line trip? And if he did, wouldn't the trip be bought for the seat? And if everyone gets paid, the issue is...???

I dont think anyone cares whether X flys or doesnt fly. They care whether or not FDX is adding pilots to the seniority list while we are in 4A2b.

AerisArmis
03-19-2010, 11:19 AM
No ALPA guy needed to figure this one out. Not new territory or murky - it's already in black and white.
1.B. Scope, Operation of Company Aircraft
The Company's revenue flights (including Company revenue charter flights), conducted with aircraft owned, leased, or operated within the domestic or international operations described below, conducted with aircraft over 60,000 lbs. MTOGW, shall be flown only by pilots whose names appear on the Federal Express Master Seniority List in accordance with the terms of the Agreement.

Ah yes,our industry leading, icon clad scope clause. I forgot, sorry!

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1