Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Whale Pilot
03-14-2010, 05:45 AM
Well,

Hello again everyone. Hey, I want to thank everyone for all the suggestions on BBQ & Fried Chicken. As a good friend has been saying, "Well there we were, flying along, eatin fried chicken....;)" Anyway, my vote has to go to Gus's Fried Chicken on Front Street. The vote is still out on BBQ. I prefer "wet" vs. "dry". With Memphis in May coming up, it should be interesting.

So.... Here goes part II. What about seafood & sushi? I remember a long time ago, a restaurant called "Boston Sea Party". I can't find it so I guess it's gone. I am sure that there are some good places for seafood, yes???

I'm about there with training. I must say that everyone that I have met from LCA's, Flex's, Pro's, Mgmt. & Line Pilots have all been top notch. I've been in this industry a long time and these fine groups are head & shoulders above what I have experienced in the past. I look forward to working with ya'll....

Soon we will be making the move to Memphis. Ya'll have to come by when we settle in for some hospitality.

Thanks.

Whale

DiamondZ
03-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Sushi

Cordova - Rain, Wasabi
Germantown - Sakura
Collierville - Lee Kahn's

If you are near Germantown, I'd highly recommend Los Tortugas Deli Mexicana.

Las Tortugas (http://delimexicana.com/)

Jetjok
03-14-2010, 07:06 AM
Seafood in Memphis? Oh, you mean catfish?

MaydayMark
03-14-2010, 07:08 AM
If you are near Germantown, I'd highly recommend Los Tortugas Deli Mexicana.

Las Tortugas (http://delimexicana.com/)

For seafood or sushi?

DiamondZ
03-14-2010, 07:11 AM
For seafood or sushi?

Nope.

I dont follow rules very well. :D

Very good Mexican food.

Whale Pilot
03-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Seafood in Memphis? Oh, you mean catfish?

Jet,

Very funny! Nah, I really mean seafood. Did you know where the catfish capitol of the Kansas is? Catfish (http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?City_ID=KS0609032)

Anyway, great ideas for more places to go. Right now, I'm in a Loft downtown. It's great but.... well, remember the movie "Blues Brother's" and the train?:D:eek:

Can't wait til we buy our home. Collierville is looking pretty good!

Yah thank I was as big as a "whale" with my interest in food... On the contrary, I'm thin... so to speak...;)

Keep the ideas coming.

Whale

The Walrus
03-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Tsunami in midtown has excellent sea bass, but is very expensive. Other than that, good seafood is scarce in Memphis.

The Walrus
03-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Restaurant Iris (http://h149820wp.setupmyblog.com/)

Erling Jensen (http://www.ejensen.com/)

Jarrett's Restaurant (http://www.jarretts.com/)

Paulette's :: One of Memphis' best fine dining establishments (http://www.paulettes.net/)

Owen Brennan's - Memphis (http://www.brennansmemphis.com/)

These are some of the finer dining establishments in Memphis, while not seafood only, if they are serving fish, would be a good bet.

av8rmike
03-14-2010, 08:38 AM
'Eat Well' sushi is a great place to go for lunch. All you can eat for $10. They will kill you with the meat bar, too. Double the price for dinner isn't worth it to me, though. It's on N Germantown Rd just north of 64 on the west side of the road. Easy from downtown, take 40 to Gtown head north.

volav8r1
03-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Go to Memphisforless.com . You can buy $50 gift certificates for $25. Usually will find places on there such as Sekisui (sp?) which has good sushi. I live a mile from Sekura in Germantown and eat there at least twice a month. It's really good and reasonably priced. I believe it was voted best sushi in the Memphis area last year or the year before. It's always busy in there, which is a good sign for a sushi restaurant.

Other places that we like are:

Stix (Carriage Crossing in Collierville), Hibachi/Japanese
Las Tortugas (Mexican) on Germantown Pkwy
Germantown Commisary (BBQ)
Olive Branch Catfish Company
Jim's Place East (nicer & more expensive but really good)

Also, if you're living downtown & haven't been to Rum Boogie on Beale St., they have live music 7 nights a week. It's the best house band in Memphis!

Welcome to Memphis

TonyC
03-14-2010, 10:58 AM
According to Gourmet Magazine, August 2009:
Memphis Gas Station Sushi (http://www.memphistanista.com/2009/07/memphis-gas-station-sushi-in-gourmet.html)

BP Station on Poplar at Ridgeway (just east of I-240)

Prepared on-site, they sell about 300 boxes per day

Good Beer
03-14-2010, 12:16 PM
The Red Snapper at Bahn Thai on peabody in Central gardens is wonderful as is most everything else there.

The Half Shell in east memphis is pretty good for reasonable seafood (I cant speak for the one on winchester).

SOLE (downtown in the Westin across from the Forum) is good for a bite before a game.

Ditto on the food at Tsunami...excellent but expensive.

I have not been to Blue Fin in cooper young, but friends say that it is good.

Sekisui Pacific Rim on Poplar in east Memphis is good Asian fusion seafood.

Bari near Overton square has good southern Italian with a lot of seafood dishes.

Just went to Grace in cooper young this weekend, amazing food as well.

The Walrus
03-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Blue Fin closed, sadly.

Good Beer
03-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Blue Fin closed, sadly.

I think new owners must have bought it then. They were open and doing a brisk business Friday night.

The Walrus
03-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I think new owners must have bought it then. They were open and doing a brisk business Friday night.

I heard that the new owners were thinking of keeping the name, hopefully they keep the quality too.

Overnitefr8
03-14-2010, 03:06 PM
I've always liked the Fish and More at Long John Silvers. :eek:

No one else has had a wise a$$ remark, so I thought I would put one in to make this an official APC thread. ;)

The Walrus
03-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I get my sushi at Pickwick Sushi and Bait Shop.

JetJocF14
03-14-2010, 05:58 PM
No one else has had a wise a$$ remark, so I thought I would put one in to make this an official APC thread. ;)

Try the Fedex cafateria..................:rolleyes:

RogAir
03-14-2010, 07:13 PM
My first time in Memphis--

Waitress: "How ya like your Cat prepared?"

Me: "Please tell me you're talking about a fish"

HoursHore
03-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Blue fish was in cooper Young and closed. Blue Fin is donwtown and was open as of a month ago. I may be wrong. Pretty Good sushi

Good Beer
03-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Blue fish was in cooper Young and closed. Blue Fin is donwtown and was open as of a month ago. I may be wrong. Pretty Good sushi

You are correct...my bad on the name...Blue Fish is back open now though..as of Friday anyway..

Hound
03-15-2010, 08:46 AM
The Irish Mussels at the Celtic Crossing in Cooper-Young are phenomenal! They come steamed in shallots and white wine, finished with cream and herbs, and served with Irish soda bread. Yummy. Might want to avoid it tomorrow though.

Happy St. Patty's Day!:D

Whale Pilot
03-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Can't believe it but I ended up at Corkey's in Collierville this evening.

The wife and I with daughter in tow had been house hunting all day in Collierville. It's like FedEx central. Everyone we ran into works for FedEx in some capacity.

Hopefully we can make a decision soon on a home and ya'll can come by. Hey, I think I'll get the wife to open a Chinese Restaurant. LOL :eek:

So what is good in Collierville? Seafood? Bars? ect.....

Thanks

Whale

Good Beer
03-18-2010, 06:31 PM

The wife and I with daughter in tow had been house hunting all day in Collierville. It's like FedEx central. Everyone we ran into works for FedEx in some capacity.

Hopefully we can make a decision soon on a home and ya'll can come by. Hey, I think I'll get the wife to open a Chinese Restaurant. LOL :eek:

Thanks

Whale

Not much.;)..the Belmont towards G-town is ok.
Pretty standard Burbs that shut down at night. If I had to buy again here, we would be in Central Gardens or Evergreen district in Mempho. Of course everyone here that I fly with looks at me like I am crazy when they hear that we are inside the loop, but to each his own.

PM if you want gouge on where to look in Memphis proper.

FDX28
03-18-2010, 07:23 PM

Thanks

Whale

Welcome to the area -

Just for starters...

On the square:
Pasta Italia - expensive - good wine list
Cafe Piazza - good pizza not your normal style - ok wine list
Silver Caboose - southern home cooking - no booze
Gus's Chicken - just off the square.
JaJa's Thai - great spring rolls.
Coffee shop - I think square bean?

The mall
Bonefish Grill - bar gets hopping from time to time.. ok seafood
Stix - sushi
Firebird Rock Mountain grill -
Crepemaker - 727 capt owns this -gives Fedex discount

Huey's - good bar / great burgers
Jim's Place - not as good as the one in Memphis
Bangcock Alley - usually good Thai
Booyas' - full bar, good burritos

Red Sun Buffet - I realized why I hadn't been to a chineese buffet in a decade.. :eek:

Mellow Mushroom in G'town just opened.
Bellmont is good pub food / good bar.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1