Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : RIF results are in

UPSFO4LIFE
03-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Check it out! Lots of movement from what I see. Really like how they put the 170 folks in the 727 FE spot. Nice.....NOT!

navigatro
03-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Yes, there is significant movement to the street.

OffRoad5150
03-16-2010, 07:22 AM
What sort of timeline are they giving your guys facing furlough - late this year or early next year?:(

Blackbeard
03-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Also, is it true that UPS proceeded with a furlough years ago but canceled it in the 11th hour? What are the chances of history repeating?

Lester Burnham
03-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Bottom 54 are gone on 5/22/2010, with the remaining bottom 170 gone by the end of the year. Additional 130 gone next year.

aircum
03-16-2010, 08:21 AM
How many pilots could retire and save some of these jobs?

UPSFO4LIFE
03-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Also, is it true that UPS proceeded with a furlough years ago but canceled it in the 11th hour? What are the chances of history repeating?

It is true that 100 pilots were sent furlough letters in 2001 and it was cancelled right before the date of the furlough. I would say chances are slim to none that UPS would cancel this furlough, but until May 22, there is always hope.

McBoeingBus
03-16-2010, 08:56 AM

There are over 170 pilots over age 60 on property. Is that what you are asking? I think that UPS said about 6 months ago that there were about 260 over 60 guys. FWIW.

Luckydawg
03-16-2010, 09:17 AM

You would think a bunch but for some reason it doesn't work that way here. I think the bean counters at UPS look at the over 60 crowd as if they are not paying them a pension and that they won't live as long once they hit 65. In any event it would "cost" UPS a buyout and that ain't happening.

freightretriever
03-16-2010, 09:29 AM

Zero
:mad:

FoxHunter
03-16-2010, 01:40 PM
I think the bean counters at UPS look at the over 60 crowd as if they are not paying them a pension and that they won't live as long once they hit 65.

From the Retired pilots website of Cargo airline that at the best of times had no more than 200 pilots. Pilots tend to live a long time.

Recent Birthdays

Capt. Vince Spxxxx 92 on Feb. 20
Capt. Joe Szxxxxxx 91 on Feb. 3
Capt. Ian Adxxxxx 90 on Jan. 19
Capt. Bill Eaxxxxxxx 90 on Jan. 11
Capt. Bob Snxxxx 96 on Dec. 25

Luckydawg
03-16-2010, 03:23 PM
From the Retired pilots website of Cargo airline that at the best of times had no more than 200 pilots. Pilots tend to live a long time.

Recent Birthdays

I think that's awesome, I'm just wondering why our greedy company won't ease the pain a bit. It must all come down to the beans.

767pilot
03-16-2010, 03:34 PM

300 out of the 2400 others could quit or take a leave for three years and save the jobs too.

golfandfly
03-16-2010, 03:42 PM
They've had their time, the greedy old SOBs!

FrontSeat
03-16-2010, 03:49 PM

FrontSeat
03-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Yes, there is significant movement to the street.

All the senior know it alls told me I would not get furloughed. What happened?

I thought they knew everything like they tell me.......

Nitefrater
03-16-2010, 03:59 PM

Recent Birthdays

I think that's awesome too...

How old were they when they retired?

freightretriever
03-16-2010, 04:12 PM
I think that's awesome too...

How old were they when they retired?

I am guessing not 65...........

767pilot
03-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Here we go again. You guys make it sound like their are nightly wheel chair races and bingo games at the ASC

golfandfly
03-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Here we go again. You guys make it sound like their are nightly wheel chair races and bingo games at the ASC
Wouldn't it be great if some guys would retire and let some other guys feed their families?

767pilot
03-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Wouldn't it be great if some guys would retire and let some other guys feed their families?

Those guys should quit to make up for the avarice and greed among the upper managers? How about anybody with a military income, pension or reserve gig, take a LOA or quit so that other guys can feed their families. You've got enough. Any takers?

Tigerpilot1995
03-16-2010, 05:10 PM

Did you vote yes or no on your union card?

MoosePileit
03-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Those guys should quit to make up for the avarice and greed among the upper managers? How about anybody with a military income, pension or reserve gig, take a LOA or quit so that other guys can feed their families. You've got enough. Any takers?

Been doing that for about a year, but hey, I'm bottom-ish

Guess I better step it up.

767pilot
03-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Been doing that for about a year, but hey, I'm bottom-ish

Guess I better step it up.

Did golfandfly thank you or any of the age 60 guys that left? If he did, I'll add my thanks. If he didn't, somehow it figures.

MoosePileit
03-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Former is n/a. Latter has my thanks and congrats, actually.

Freightpuppy
03-16-2010, 07:20 PM
300 out of the 2400 others could quit or take a leave for three years and save the jobs too.

I'll take a leave if someone is willing to give me my pay for 3 years.....

Calling all captains.....calling all captains.....LOL!

Freightpuppy
03-16-2010, 07:22 PM

Come on! You and I have both bet on those races.....LMAO! :D

Luckydawg
03-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Hey, loud and clear right now,

I didn't want this to be a junior vs senior thread. Sure, I would love to see retirements for any reason.

At anytime UPS could have come forward and ponied up a bit for retirements or the slight shortfall in the MOU. They didn't. Period. Lets move on.

This company shelved the MOU, which I gave 30% to, and countless others gave much more. At this point, I'll let my EB do the talking. UPS shoved first, our EB is shoving back, so be it.

I'll back senior/junior IPAers equally. I'm blaming this one on UPS.

CactusCrew
03-16-2010, 08:55 PM

I know this was a sarcastic remark. But what is sad, is that if 300 actually did quit or take leave, there is nothing that says the company would NOT furlough 300 from the bottom.

They have NOT offered voluntary furloughs or LOAs to mitigate the number of furloughs, and they most likely won't ...

767pilot
03-17-2010, 05:15 AM
You are right. We haven't seen any evidence on one for one job savings for retirements/quitting/ or LOA's.

Question- If a guy takes a mil LOA, can he come back any time he wants if his orders change? If so, I can see them not giving us credit for that as a job save.

navigatro
03-17-2010, 05:25 AM
You are right. We haven't seen any evidence on one for one job savings for retirements/quitting/ or LOA's.

Question- If a guy takes a mil LOA, can he come back any time he wants if his orders change? If so, I can see them not giving us credit for that as a job save.

UPS did give full credit to Mil leaves under MOU1 and MOU2, and the same caveat applied (they could come back early, but the IPA still got full credit)

767pilot
03-17-2010, 06:05 AM
UPS did give full credit to Mil leaves under MOU1 and MOU2, and the same caveat applied (they could come back early, but the IPA still got full credit)

Yea, I was wondering about now though. I guess that there are no rules any more, back to them doing what they wanted. Under the MOU they gave us credit for a lot of stuff that we didn't really earn. For example, full credit for RDG when they used the pilots in some domiciles/seatsand didn't use the full amount of RDG. The company actually figured that in the end, they got 85% value for each dollar that we pledged. Not our fault, theirs entirely, but that was what it came out to and explains a little bit of their reluctance to go forward with MOU3....that and the fact that they are a bunch of butt heads trying to pick a fight <G>

757upspilot
03-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Yea, I was wondering about now though. I guess that there are no rules any more, back to them doing what they wanted. Under the MOU they gave us credit for a lot of stuff that we didn't really earn. For example, full credit for RDG when they used the pilots in some domiciles/seatsand didn't use the full amount of RDG. The company actually figured that in the end, they got 85% value for each dollar that we pledged. Not our fault, theirs entirely, but that was what it came out to and explains a little bit of their reluctance to go forward with MOU3....that and the fact that they are a bunch of butt heads trying to pick a fight <G>
The Butt Head factor may show up more as the volume picks up and other carriers skim off the new business, competition buying airplanes and preparing to expand , Fedex retaining people and reportedly increasing some flying.
Given the honesty level of UPS we will have to watch closely that they aren't double breasting us some places in the world.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1