Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Giant bikes in Taipei?

CaptainGator
03-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey ya'll. I have the fever for a new road bike and wonder if anyone has the gouge on getting a bike from the factory in Taipei. I've seen bikes in boxes in the hotel but that's all I know. Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.
BTW, I'll be flying to Hong Kong myself in two weeks.
Captain Gator

767pilot
03-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Just how large are these bikes? Do they make them for reularly sized people too?

The Walrus
03-20-2010, 12:04 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vwt55TQq-3k/SNnNf3Bds-I/AAAAAAAAC6c/saPM7EmbdF0/s320/old+tyme+bicycles.png:eek:

max8222
03-20-2010, 03:00 PM
last month I was taking a cab in Taipei and the cab driver said he takes pilots to the Giant bike factory all the time from the Hilton. He said it was a 15 min ride. Ask the concierge, they might have more info.

MX727
03-21-2010, 08:34 PM
I'd be interested in this info too.

CaptainGator
03-22-2010, 06:12 AM
Thanks Max. Yeah I have heard that and like I said seen the bikes in the lobby. I am interested in anyone (any Hong Kong guys here?) that has actually got a bike and knows whether they have all the models (road and mountain), if they are covered with the warranty, etc. We're talking about a $5000 bike here. If it looks promising then I'll jumpseat there just to get one if the price is right.
Thanks again, Gator

montauk
03-22-2010, 09:36 AM
I have a full carbon Giant TCR and I love it. It's light and fast. I use it in trithlons. Bought it second hand on Craigs List for half the cost of a new bike.

TimSmith
03-22-2010, 09:56 AM
As pilots I know we are cheap, but this one really stretches the imagination. To save $500 or so on a $5000 bike you are going to subject it to shipping halfway across the world at your liability for any damage? And when you get it home you still have to do the build on it or pay the local bike shop mechanic a $100 to do the build. I really think it better to deal with a bike shop you trust and get the bike you want. That way they stand behind it and you have a good relationship with your local bike shop. That is very important on a top level road bike as you will inevitably need help on getting the perfect fit, will probably want a quick tune up each year (quick being the operative word,) may want to swap components or rims, etc. If you have a reputation for trying to stick it to them over a few dollars (and we really are talking a few dollars here) then they will do the bare minimum for you or put yours at the bottom of the list.

The relationship with your local shop is important on these bikes. This is not a Chevy or Ford you beat to death. It is a Porsche or Lotus that has unlimited potential and seemingly in constant need of adjustment to realize that potential. Bike shop owners generally do what they do because they love it. Most of them make about what a regioanal airline captain does. Few if any are getting rich off their customers.

72Bluestreak31
03-22-2010, 10:41 AM
...The relationship with your local shop is important on these bikes. This is not a Chevy or Ford you beat to death. It is a Porsche or Lotus that has unlimited potential and seemingly in constant need of adjustment to realize that potential. Bike shop owners generally do what they do because they love it. Most of them make about what a regional airline captain does. Few if any are getting rich off their customers.

Well said.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/report.php?p=782176) http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=782176)

ntak
03-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Tim agree, well said. Strange to see a group of people, who chastise other Americans for chasing the cheapest fare and riding on (insert name of your favorite non-union carrier here), who would defend scope to the death if FDX tried to hire 5000 $10 an hour foreign pilots to fly the boxes because it would reduce shipping costs, etc., going out of their way to deprive other Americans fair income by bringing home pirated dvds, knockoff clubs, and so on. And the thread started by somebody with a flag on their avatar, jeesh.

Flying Low
03-22-2010, 11:03 AM
The Regional pilot analogy is pretty darn good; owning a or working in a bike shop can be a great experience with a lot of benefits, but large cash flow is rarely one of them, and unless you have the spare time and feel like investing in many hundred dollars worth of tools, a good relationship with your bike shop is a good investment.

golfandfly
03-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Timsmith,

What planet are you from? Someone wants to buy a bike directly from the manufacturer to save money. Is it his duty to subsidize the local bike shop? Why do I care how much he is making? If the local shop sells the bike (sent from Giant) at a higher cost, why would he buy it? If he saves enough that it is worth him traveling to Taipei to get the bike, what is wrong with that? It's not like the local bike shop isn't selling the same bike. He's cutting out the middleman.

So I am supposed to show loyalty (and pay more money) for a guy that will "do the bare minimum for you or put yours at the bottom of the list?" Just because I bought my bike somewhere else? What a great guy, no wonder he is making less than a regional captain.

Oh brother....

waflyboy
03-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Timsmith,

What planet are you from? Someone wants to buy a bike directly from the manufacturer to save money. Is it his duty to subsidize the local bike shop? Why do I care how much he is making? If the local shop sells the bike (sent from Giant) at a higher cost, why would he buy it? If he saves enough that it is worth him traveling to Taipei to get the bike, what is wrong with that? It's not like the local bike shop isn't selling the same bike. He's cutting out the middleman.

I think you may have missed his point. I believe Timsmith was suggesting that a good bike shop adds considerable value to the purchase and ownership experience.

filejw
03-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Timsmith,

So I am supposed to show loyalty (and pay more money) for a guy that will "do the bare minimum for you or put yours at the bottom of the list?" Just because I bought my bike somewhere else? What a great guy, no wonder he is making less than a regional captain.

Oh brother....

Spoken like a true airline passenger..cheapest price...

PW305
03-22-2010, 01:32 PM
I hope you guys are all buying your food from the local market too and not Wal-Mart!

golfandfly
03-22-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't think I'd go to Taipei to buy a bike. But if I was in the market for a $5,000 bike, I might consider it if I saved enough money. Probably pick it up on a trip and bring it to a Fedex office. We do sort of work for a large shipping company that could probably get it to our homes. I am not sure why it makes this guy a cheapskate. I've known people that have bought Harleys and BMWs overseas to save some significant cash. It seemed like a hassle to me, but it worked for them.

I guess none of you guys have ever shopped at a Target, Walmart, etc. The bike is produced overseas whether you buy it from a local shop or at the place of manufacture. Is it more pro-American if you buy it here?

If he needs warranty work or a service plan, it may be worth it to buy it local. If he believes he saves more buying in Taipei, what's the big deal?

frozenboxhauler
03-22-2010, 02:07 PM
As pilots I know we are cheap, but this one really stretches the imagination. To save $500 or so on a $5000 bike you are going to subject it to shipping halfway across the world at your liability for any damage? And when you get it home you still have to do the build on it or pay the local bike shop mechanic a $100 to do the build. I really think it better to deal with a bike shop you trust and get the bike you want. That way they stand behind it and you have a good relationship with your local bike shop. That is very important on a top level road bike as you will inevitably need help on getting the perfect fit, will probably want a quick tune up each year (quick being the operative word,) may want to swap components or rims, etc. If you have a reputation for trying to stick it to them over a few dollars (and we really are talking a few dollars here) then they will do the bare minimum for you or put yours at the bottom of the list.

The relationship with your local shop is important on these bikes. This is not a Chevy or Ford you beat to death. It is a Porsche or Lotus that has unlimited potential and seemingly in constant need of adjustment to realize that potential. Bike shop owners generally do what they do because they love it. Most of them make about what a regioanal airline captain does. Few if any are getting rich off their customers.

I'm thinking that you'd have to pay duty on the thing too.
fbh

golfandfly
03-22-2010, 02:07 PM
filejw,

There is very little difference in service these days. So, if the routing is similar, I don't care if I fly Delta, United, or (gasp) non-union Jetblue. Are you saying I should pay more to fly with the carrier of your choice? If the schedule works, I usually don't care which airline I fly on. Half the time they are regional companies anyway.

You crack me up!

MX727
03-22-2010, 03:02 PM
For some guys, bike shops offer little value. I've never bought a bike from a shop, nor have I ever taken one to them for service. I have bought components and a couple of frames, but all of my bikes have been assembled by me from my custom selection of components. When you start getting into the $5000 bikes, you run into quite a few guys who know their way around a wrench. So, in my case, the price of the components that I have researched is the only consideration. What I specifically am interested in from Giant is the frame.

Night_Hawk
03-22-2010, 04:15 PM
I really think it better to deal with a bike shop you trust and get the bike you want. That way they stand behind it and you have a good relationship with your local bike shop. That is very important on a top level road bike as you will inevitably need help on getting the perfect fit,.

I might have thought this was an overstatement a few weeks ago. However, I just bought a Cannondale Slice; I was thrilled w/ the fitting, included. If you bring your bike to the shop for a fitting that will cost you a couple hundred as well.

If it is going to save you a thousand, do it, but for a few hundred I would skip the trouble, and build the relationship w/ the bike shop. Mine. throws me up to 20% off, w/out me asking, simply from looking @ my purchases in his computer.

On the other hand, how do you save money on BMWs overseas?

N_H

Albief15
03-22-2010, 04:52 PM
U.S. Stuff Product - Bikes Made in USA, Bicycles Assembled in USA (http://www.usstuff.com/bikes.htm)

golfandfly
03-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Night Hawk,

BMWs- These were guys in the military that bought them while in Germany. There was some savings but, if I remember right, there were some difficulties getting them back to the states. I think they saved a couple of grand on the deal.

HSLD
03-22-2010, 08:37 PM
I've been riding a Trek Carbon Fiber for a few seasons and highly recommend the brand. No problems here at all.

Also, as others have mentioned, I'm a big fan of supporting your local bike shop. In my case it's hard not to as they match Internet pricing and they're just down the street. Even if they are a bit more expensive - that's one relationship that pays long term.

I've been to the Giant retail outlet in Taoyuan, a suburb of Taipei close to the airport, and they make REI look inexpensive. There were absolutely no deals there compared to what my bike shop would do and no US warranty to boot.

Buy local!

For those of you that have an iPhone - you HAVE to check out the cyclemeter app from Abvio, makers of iPhone fitness applications. (http://www.abvio.com) . It plots your ride using the GPS in the phone, collects tons of info about the ride, stores a log of all the rides, and allows you to export in a number of formats. This app costs $4.99 but does more than the $350 + Garmin products. I took it out for the first time today and it just works! 5 stars, highly recommended.

Hacker15e
03-23-2010, 01:59 AM
Night Hawk,

BMWs- These were guys in the military that bought them while in Germany. There was some savings but, if I remember right, there were some difficulties getting them back to the states. I think they saved a couple of grand on the deal.

There are many companies that do this; BMW, Volvo, Jaguar, Range Rover just off the top of my head.

Actually, the savings is primarily in state sales taxes, but the overall purchase price also dodges some import tariffs. Depending on the vehicle, a GI can save $5K-ish on the overall deal.

The cars are US spec, and can either be picked up at the factory or shipped back to the US and delivered at a US dealer.

Jetjok
03-23-2010, 04:19 AM
Usually the car needs to be driven some minor number of miles in the overseas location, so that when it's imported into this country, it can be done so as a "used vehicle." It's also loads of fun to go to the factory where your car was made, take the tour, meet the folks who actually put your car together, then after a nice luncheon with the company folks and the other new owners, and finally get to drive your new baby on some neat roads and autobahns. I'm sure Mayday Mark must have had a ball when he went and picked up his Yugo, because I understand that while the Yugoslavian roads aren't something to write home about, the women are hot.:D

The problem, as I see it, is that if we continue to buy everything we can at the source, trying to cut out the middle man, and save a few shekels, we will eventually end up with very few successful mom and pop shops left. As an example, I give you the local hardware store. We used to have two wonderful ones here in my town. Both were large enough to have most of what you'd need for your around-the-house chores, but small enough to be able to get in and then out in under a few minutes, while remembering where you parked your car. Now, because of places like Home Depot and Lowes, they are gone, never to return. So now, you get to get your junk at the big box stores, and, for the most part, junk it is, because in most cases, the quality of stuff you get there is inferior to what the real hardware stores carried. Just another example of capitalism at its finest. Personally, I really like having a good relationship with the local shop owners, and usually try to support them when I can.

JJ

MX727
03-23-2010, 12:20 PM
I've been riding a Trek Carbon Fiber for a few seasons and highly recommend the brand. No problems here at all.

My road bike is a Trek Carbon 5500 frame. Great geometry and nice ride.

I've been to the Giant retail outlet in Taoyuan, a suburb of Taipei close to the airport, and they make REI look inexpensive. There were absolutely no deals there compared to what my bike shop would do and no US warranty to boot.

Thanks, that is good to know

Buy local!

For those of you that have an iPhone

That there is funny since iPods and iPhones come from China.

Busboy
03-23-2010, 05:25 PM
That there is funny since iPods and iPhones come from China.

Yah...But, I doubt he went there to buy it.:D

Jetjok
03-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Knowing this crowd, I'd not be so sure.

JJ

CaptainGator
03-25-2010, 05:03 PM
...do some of you have way too much time on your hands. As for the Taipei question thanks to the few guys who actually addressed it.
Tim... I probably can do a better build than the dudes in a bike shop and I get the parts off EBAY for a fraction of the cost they will give me. FYI, I probably have bikes in my garage that are worth more than your car (unless it's a Farrari).

I just heard that these Giant bikes were 1/3 to 1/2 the cost here AND they are covered my Giant's warranty. That would be over a thousand savings. If it's being cheap getting something for less than OK I'm cheap.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to check on it myself if I can get over there.

Gator

MD11Fr8Dog
03-26-2010, 09:04 AM
This bike shop in Fayettenam, NC has a giant bicycle!:D

http://hawleysbicycleworld.com/Portals/0/images/Storefront.gif

CaptainGator
03-27-2010, 04:42 AM
I'll let my buddy, Jack know about it. It will make him happy. Jolly in fact. :-)

BrownGirls YUM
03-27-2010, 07:48 AM
I picked up a Giant Defy Advanced 2 a year ago in TPE. I got the thing for $2000.00 with a nice hard travel case included.

It travels very well. The guys in the shop put the bike together, tuned it up, and then we broke it down and put it in the travel case. When I got home, I popped the case and put the wheels, bars, seat and pedals back on and was on the road in about an hour. It needed one little tweak of the hanger that my local shop took care of for me.

At the time, I shopped it in the US for about $3000.00 (that's without a case). In my view, that kind of savings is worth buying in TPE!

The thing is, if you wait around, you can always get last year's bike a lot cheaper.

Example using my bike:

2009 Defy Advanced 2 S Silver/White/Composite (http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?id=BPCB100060)

I also bought a cheapo Giant in Shanghai back in '05 (also at about a 33% savings from the US). Great training bike..nice and heavy ;) It's probably got about 5000 miles on it and it's still going strong. I'm not very well-versed in tweaking my bike and these things have been easy for me to keep running well. I nearly bought another one last week before I had what alcoholics call a moment of clarity. 3 bikes is probably enough for now!:p

As far as taking care of the local bike shop, I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about buying my bike abroad when I think about what I pay for aero bottles/bars, bento boxes, pumps, tubes, nutrition, shoes, gloves, and maintenance etc.

Ride safe!

TimSmith
03-27-2010, 11:26 AM
...do some of you have way too much time on your hands. As for the Taipei question thanks to the few guys who actually addressed it.
Tim... I probably can do a better build than the dudes in a bike shop and I get the parts off EBAY for a fraction of the cost they will give me. FYI, I probably have bikes in my garage that are worth more than your car (unless it's a Farrari).

I just heard that these Giant bikes were 1/3 to 1/2 the cost here AND they are covered my Giant's warranty. That would be over a thousand savings. If it's being cheap getting something for less than OK I'm cheap.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to check on it myself if I can get over there.

Gator

Hey Gator,

Unless you bought a Livestrong Commerrative Edition Madone at a charity auction I doubt your bike has any more money OR miles than MY bike sitting in my garage. So talk it up. I just ride. With your attitude of screwing over your local shop and holding disdain for a mechanic's expertise, I can only surmise you ride a top of the line bike, have never been fitted, and get passed by normal slugs on aluminum and steel. I know the type and attitude. I used to drop them all the time on a Trek 1000 ten years ago while chasing the big dogs. You know, the bike shop regulars that were just a step away from having the talent to make it pro.

Have fun on your bike though. Giant makes some great equipment. Too bad you won't know it's full potential because you know more about bikes than people who love them.

CaptainGator
03-31-2010, 04:17 PM
BrownGirls YUM (that's a great name)! Thanks for the valid response and that's exactly the bike I'm looking for. The idea of a bike with racing performance and weight with a more "recreational" build sounds like just what I want. I'm gonna go ride it soon at some local shops so I can pick it up next time I'm in Taipei. If it's as good a bike as I hear it is then it might be tough to get fairly new one on the used market. Saving a thousand bucks sounds like a great idea to me and I could upgrade the wheel set with the savings.
Tim Smith, get a friggin' life dude. You have no idea what my background is or what my riding history is or anything about the six bikes I have in the garage. Custom, steel, carbon, time trial, MTN, etc... Get off your high horse. All I wanted here were tips on getting a bike in Taipei, not to be chided (and don't tell me to talk it up, you're the one who started mouthing off on me not supporting the local bike shops when I can do it better on my own).

The Walrus
03-31-2010, 04:24 PM
How many years of work does it take to be an expert as a bike mechanic? You would think that gator was attempting to do brain surgery on himself. Just because he flies an MD11, doesn't mean he is an idiot.

CaptainGator
03-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks Walrus (I think). Huah. :-)

TimSmith
04-02-2010, 01:12 PM
How many years of work does it take to be an expert as a bike mechanic? You would think that gator was attempting to do brain surgery on himself. Just because he flies an MD11, doesn't mean he is an idiot.

If you want to know, go buy a frame, rims, cables, a top line gruppo (Dura-Ace), pedals, handle bar, headset, bottom bracket, hubs, and fork. Then tell me how long it took before the bike was ridable, how long before it was stable, how long before it was quiet, and if you were ever able to make it ride smoothly. You would be suprised how many "serious" riders cannot even adjust and position their saddle properly.

Then again, really, how many years does it take to fly an airplane? None evidently, reference the gent in Europe flying commercially for over a decade with no licenses. He bluffed straight through our training programs that require "intelligence."

Intelligence is knowing what you are NOT an expert.

jtf560
04-02-2010, 02:46 PM
I've looked for Giants in Taiwan twice in the last 14 months. I didn't go to the factory, but from what I have seen, the prices aren't significantly cheaper than you can find in the US. When I lived there 8 years ago the prices were way better in comparison to the prices in the US, but I was a dumb @ss and didn't make the buy when I should have (had a descent Trek at home in the US, but could have gotten an awesome bike for peanuts at the time). Biking has gotten much more popular in Taiwan in the last few years and the prices have gone way up. Taiwan is still nice for a visit though and you could save a little on the bike, but I wouldn't go all the way there unless the travel part was the main reason. I'd suggest staying at least a week and checking out the more than just Taipei.

MX727
04-02-2010, 07:54 PM
If you want to know, go buy a frame, rims, cables, a top line gruppo (Dura-Ace), pedals, handle bar, headset, bottom bracket, hubs, and fork. Then tell me how long it took before the bike was ridable, how long before it was stable, how long before it was quiet, and if you were ever able to make it ride smoothly. You would be suprised how many "serious" riders cannot even adjust and position their saddle properly.

Intelligence is knowing what you are NOT an expert.

Done it. Less than a day. Stable and quiet. Several road and mountain bikes in my life.

How can you assume that a poster on this forum, that asks about buying a bike overseas, is NOT an expert? I question how serious someone is that can't adjust their saddle, install a bottom bracket, cut a steering tube to the correct length or lace and true a wheel.

I guess to some, this would qualify as some kind of mysterious dark art, but there are others that have the skills to handle this kind of work. Some of them can even fly airplanes.

The Walrus
04-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I think TimSmith just needs to loosen the chinstrap on his pointy crash helmet a notch or two. He has obviously run into a heck of a salesman at his local bike shop that has convinced him that he is a rocket surgeon. :rolleyes:

TimSmith
04-02-2010, 09:29 PM
I think TimSmith just needs to loosen the chinstrap on his pointy crash helmet a notch or two. He has obviously run into a heck of a salesman at his local bike shop that has convinced him that he is a rocket surgeon. :rolleyes:

Hey Walrus,

Your village called. Seems they were missing you.

MX727
04-02-2010, 10:43 PM
CaptainGator PM sent.

The Walrus
04-03-2010, 05:42 AM
YouTube - The Comeback (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuszKrl-Xl8&feature=related):eek:

fub141
04-03-2010, 08:13 AM
I'd like to thank everyone on this thread for reminding me why I stopped coming to this website to watch the same 12 people argue with each other.

CaptainGator
04-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Now Walrus, that is Funny. Fub, if you don't get a kick out of reading some of this stuff then maybe you shouldn't read APC. Look what just a simple little question to start a thread can bring up? Must be that 90% of us are slap happy because of time zones and night hub turns.
Thanks again ya'll for lightening things up. We'll be gettin' serious soon (last I remember we have contract negotiations coming up).
DON'T FLY DISPUTED PAIRINGS! Our scheduling committee folks work hard on what they do for all our benefit.
Huah.
Gator

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1