Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Latest Zerogram

MX727
04-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Does he even read what he writes?

In the first paragraph, he tells us that revisions happen and we should be prepared. Then he chastises pilots for carrying luggage on a planned O&B. Which is it? Didn't JL post this same type of message several years ago? Didn't he have to backtrack? Maybe 0 should have been reading the letters his CP sent out back then.

HazCan
04-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Does he even read what he writes?

In the first paragraph, he tells us that revisions happen and we should be prepared. Then he chastises pilots for carrying luggage on a planned O&B! Which is it? Didn't JL post this same type of message several years ago? Didn't he have to backtrack? Maybe 0 should have been reading the letters his CP sent out back then.

I'm going to bring the biggest f'in suitcase I can find with me from the out and back lot next time. I don't remember anything banning luggage from that lot. I guess he has never gotten to the outbound city and had the jet break or get revised to an overnight (wait, didn't he speak of revisions in #1?).

MaydayMark
04-09-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm not usually one to defend Capt. "O", but he might be right on this one. I noticed a week after it snowed that several dozen cars were still parked there with snow on them AND I personally have walked in from the O&B lots with guys that were talking about the around the world trip they were headed out on? :eek:

MX727
04-09-2010, 02:15 PM
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

MX727
04-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm not usually one to defend Capt. "O", but he might be right on this one. I noticed a week after it snowed that several dozen cars were still parked there with snow on them AND I personally have walked in from the O&B lots with guys that were talking about the around the world trip they were headed out on? :eek:

That's a different issue then. What he said was that there was no reason to carry a bag on an O&B. What he didn't say is what the rules are for parking in that lot, which in the past also included Saturday AM departures that returned on Sunday.

4A2B
04-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Has anyone ever not found a spot in that lot? That lot is 1/2 to 2/3 full AT best. There has been numerous conflicting emails on the "proper use" of that lot. The other questions that come up are:

Who in their right mind finds it necessary to "report" the baggage carrying habit of pilot that MAY or MAY NOT be a parking violator?

How about the SCP worry about our crappy pairings and accident record? Push for the needed changes to HELP the people you work for...the PILOTS!

FOQA/ASAP for a start.

I truly feel sorry for him and the rest of us if this is what rises to the level of concern when everything around him is on fire.:eek:

PS: I hope in the future that the SCP has someone run a grammar/spell checker on his communications. Not being picky, it just seems to be the right thing to do when he likes to talk about professionalism. We should all be professionals, no disagreement on his message about that topic!

Dadof6
04-09-2010, 02:48 PM
How about adding a lightweight, water-resistant jacket to our uniform "outerwear selections"? Until then, I can legally wear a short-sleeve shirt as outerwear when it's cold outside, but put on the awesome parka (without liner) and I'm a "uniform violator"? :rolleyes: Sign me up, baby...

And personally, I carry a bag on every flight--call it my "divert and/or revision insurance." Glad we're focused on the important stuff.

Hey--what would Friday afternoons be without recurring comedy?
--------------
On a serious note, as per the "important" e-mail from JP, fly safe out there folks. Complacency is a killer, and the Pk of terra firma (and the FAA) is 1.0.

FedExBusBoy
04-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Democrat lot is full most of the time.......

How many cars are over there sitting on their rims???

Answer: ALOT

MX727
04-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey, guess who read my thread? That was quick.

MX727
04-09-2010, 02:55 PM
If you aren't a cowboy and wear boots, they aren't necessarily "Cowboy boots" are they?

Is that what you meant?

Conversely, if you ARE a cowboy and wear loafers, wouldn't they be "cowboy loafers?" Wonder if you can wear those? :rolleyes:

fly2ski
04-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey, guess who read my thread? That was quick.

First place he checks after putting out garbage like that. :D

drftddgr
04-09-2010, 03:42 PM
"Has anyone ever not found a spot in that lot? That lot is 1/2 to 2/3 full AT best."

I agree with all above except the O/B lot has been about 95% full for the last week or so. Don't know why, but it has been VERY full.

Just when can I wear that parka? Since every time i see the AOC is for a standby how can I possibly know the weather conditions of my destination? Did he mean I am supposed to only wear the parka OVER the leather jacket??? That's the dumbest part of the whole thing if that's what it meant.

HDawg
04-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Perhaps the global war on error will resolve O grams revisions....

The Walrus
04-09-2010, 03:47 PM
The thing that ****es me off is that after I use two years worth of uniform allowance on the parka, they change the rules on when you can wear it. If it was an overcoat, I already have one of those that I don't wear.

FLMD11CAPT
04-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Well.......my observation is, whenever the rhetoric about "investigating all fatigue calls" raises it's ugly head it only means that more guys are "getting it", doing the right thing, and calling fatigued when they are. The FAA has ruled that "naps" are not allowed in the cockpit......Sooooo, maybe a pre-flt question should be, "are you rested enough to fly this segment w/o a nap"? If not then you should call fatigued. GUYS!!!!!! This horrible enviornment of onerous sequences WILL NOT STOP until we stop it. If you are fatigued.....make the call.:cool:

Jetjok
04-09-2010, 04:49 PM
OK, here's my take on O's O'Gram and your responses. I don't know why, but I have a feeling the majority of you won't like it, but oh well.

With the exception of O's paragraph #5, which he posted an amendment to an hour and 19 minutes after his 2nd O'Gram, and perhaps his comment in graph 4c, about the parka issue, I just can't understand why the vast majority of you have gotten your panties in a wad.

1. He reminds you that if you get ACARS'ed, you're probably going to have to pee in a bottle, and he suggests you drink some extra water prior to showing up.

2. Fatigue was, is, and always will be an issue, and I didn't feel he was chastising anyone for calling it in. The way I read it, he was asking that if you decide to call in fatigued, to do it early, to protect the freight. He also mentions that if you do, you should expect a call from your ACP. He further says: "We investigate every FAT incident with the intention of finding the casual factors and correcting them. " I ask you, has anyone been terminated for calling in fatigued? If not, than why not believe that all they are trying to do is figure out how to make things better so that it doesn't happen again on the same pairing or same city?

3. In his "Flight incidents" paragraph, he says: "Your actions deserve the highest praise. I applaud all of you." Yeah, I guess I can see where comments like that could get your dander up, but really.

4. Parka's. In my opinion, a ridiculous subject, but hey, he is The Chief Pilot, and truly, we all know that there are guys who abuse the dress code, but that's ok I guess, because you guys are all pilots, and as such don't need no stinking dress code.

As for paragraphs 5, 6, and 7..... well, all I can say is that DAMN, you guys need to take a chill pill. It wasn't really that bad an email, and if you step back and read it with no emotion, you might just actually see where he was coming from.

OK, I've got my flame retardant long johns on, so flame away. Oh, by the way, HOW ABOUT THOSE UCONN WOMEN?:D

JJ

MX727
04-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Who in their right mind finds it necessary to "report" the baggage carrying habit of pilot that MAY or MAY NOT be a parking violator?

One guess: Who flew an O&B on the 8th?

Time Off
04-09-2010, 05:21 PM
One guess: Who flew an O&B on the 8th? (https://pilot.fedex.com/vips-bin/vipscgi?webtr?68?MEM?30?08APR10?????)

What is this clown's job? I thought he was fired?:confused:

Perro Loco
04-09-2010, 05:52 PM
..........." Cliffy adds,
-everyone will be excessed to the 727 panel.
-due to hull losses, we will run out of MD-11s in 2045.
-we will have another System Chief Pilot within 2 years.

:rolleyes:

Cliffy---You forgot to add:

- in early 2009 we will ram 4A2B up your collective arses.:(

HDawg
04-09-2010, 06:38 PM
So as pilots we should not make errors on ties, coats, boots, parking or altitudes but as the chief pilot he can screw up a simple email?:rolleyes:

Lippy
04-09-2010, 06:39 PM
You gents seem surprised when you read these emails. Why?

iarapilot
04-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I can only assume, concerning item #5, that when a flight is an OB, the weight and balance does not include your overnight bag, which could lead to a CG incident.....or worse.

hamfisted
04-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Doh gram..................makes me glad to be an American

MD11Fr8Dog
04-09-2010, 08:07 PM
One guess: Who flew an O&B on the 8th? (https://pilot.fedex.com/vips-bin/vipscgi?webtr?68?MEM?30?08APR10?????)

We should all take the crewbus from the Democrat lot to the o/b lot and walk to the AOC dragging our bags on the 22nd! :)

MD11Fr8Dog
04-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Gotta love the ads on this thread...

http://cl.ly/Cig/content

MX727
04-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Gotta love the ads on this thread...

That just plain kicks ***. :D

FlyByNite
04-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Just to help get the message across...."All you tired, boot walkin, parka wearing, non FedEx tie stylin, and draggin your bag from the O/B lot better watch out.....oh yeah and while I was worrying about that, I forgot to tell you we added a new day to your recurrent sched." :D

Laughing_Jakal
04-10-2010, 07:26 PM
:.......:.....:.....:....:...

MEMFO4Ever
04-11-2010, 11:03 AM
At least he didn't mention shorts and sneakers on deadheads, so I guess they are good to go again. Just in time for spring and summer.

God forbid we should have an actual uniform jacket to wear with our uniform. I guess if you do not look like a sea captain or motorcycle gang member you are the reason we are losing hulls.