Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : COPA is hiring

CAPTDOUG
04-18-2010, 05:22 AM
COPA is now hiring Captains. They are interviewing starting end of April, 2010 with a class in June and August. They have an agreement with Continental Airlines (because Continental owns their airplanes and the union there is weak and unable or incapable to enforce scope) that they give preferential hiring to furloughed and retired CAL pilots. I dont know about the rest of the seats. They have been very quick to respond so if u dont get a response then u can assume they are not interested.
It looks like the total income for a Captain it close to $7000/month for 737. I dont know anything else.
I would like to hear from anyone that knows about the aviation test, interview, oral exam and sim ride. PM me if u want or post here.

tzadik
04-26-2010, 12:02 PM
COPA is now hiring Captains. They are interviewing starting end of April, 2010 with a class in June and August. They have an agreement with Continental Airlines (because Continental owns their airplanes and the union there is weak and unable or incapable to enforce scope) that they give preferential hiring to furloughed and retired CAL pilots. I dont know about the rest of the seats. They have been very quick to respond so if u dont get a response then u can assume they are not interested.
It looks like the total income for a Captain it close to $7000/month for 737. I dont know anything else.
I would like to hear from anyone that knows about the aviation test, interview, oral exam and sim ride. PM me if u want or post here.

any idea of spanish fluency is a necessity here?

stbloc
04-26-2010, 01:30 PM
as far as I understand, no requirement.

Yeager08
04-26-2010, 05:20 PM
CAPTDOUG,

Where did you send your application and resume to? The email address posted on their website keeps bouncing back not recognized :(
Do you have another address to send your paperwork?

Y.

PA31
04-26-2010, 09:57 PM

Does anybody have any information on FO positions at Copa? Interested in knowing about QOL and pay. Currently a CRJ FO.

Thanks!

cruiseclimb
04-27-2010, 04:38 AM
They will only hire captains unless you're from Panama.. There are plenty of lower time pilots in Central America to fill the FO spots.

stbloc
04-27-2010, 03:56 PM
They will only hire captains unless you're from Panama.. There are plenty of lower time pilots in Central America to fill the FO spots.

What's the cut off on total time before they won't consider you for the FO position?

fit29
04-28-2010, 04:25 AM

Continental does not own copa aircraft, they are all owned (some) leased by CM directly. CO has no ownership whatsoever of CM, they used to own 49% but CM is now completely Panamanian owned. the Union in CM is a bad joke, Pay is the same for the 737 or E190, but on the 190 you get 75 hours guarrantee, on the 737 63 hours. CM operates the longest 737 flights in the world, 7 hour flights to Buenos Aires, LA, Montevideo, Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. There is little chance of commuting because most schedules are 2-3 day trips with up to 4 legs so you are in Panama a lot.

fit29
04-28-2010, 04:49 AM
What's the cut off on total time before they won't consider you for the FO position?

From what I understand you need 4500 hours TT 1000PIC to qualify for a Direct Entry Captain, if you are hired as an FO you will have to go through the seniority list before upgrading, but in order for a foreigner to upgrade there must not be a single Panamanian that qualifies for an upgrade at the time the position becomes available. They have hired foreign FO's before but it has not happened in a while, currently there are a lot of Panamanian pilots with the time to qualify for an FO spot.

Quality of Life is great here, if you plan on living in Panama City, you will be home a lot as trips rarely continue, you usually fly out, overnight and come back the next day. QOL is better on the 190 than on the 737 becouse the 737 has more redyes and longer trips. If you plan on commuting I would say you will probably be able to go home about 5-10 days a month, but not continuous, you would have to split it in two trips.

The people at CM are great, management will usually try to help you out if there is a problem, destinations are fun and there are many challenging places to fly into, and the schedules are not bad at all. CM has a an employee shuttle service that picks you up at your home to take you to the airport and drops you off after the end of your trip.

Panama city is a great place to live, you have everything you have in the US, the only problem is the traffic which is the worst I have seen anywhere in the world.

As far as fears you may have about flying in Central America, Panama has the best aviation infrastructure in all of Central America, really nothing to ask compared to US airports, some destinations are problematic, but nothing we haven't seen before. Safety at CM is top notch and matenance is great, I rarely see an airplane with an open MEL item that last more than a few days, even if they are not essential, they really try to keep the planes clean; all maintenance except heavy checks are done in house and the people that do the heavy maintenance for CM planes here in Panama (a subsidiary of Singapore Technologies) even do maintenance for other airlines.

CM is one of the most profitable airlines in the world, net profit in 2009 was over 200 million dollars, way more than any US major.

Relocating to Central America is not easy, but CM is a fun place to work, you wont get rich but you will have a lot of fun.

moondriver232
04-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I heard about them hiring two months ago and have sent numerous emails to Ms. Henrique and to their website careers address, and nothing. Absolutely no response, and I've heard same story from several guys.

adunn6
05-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi, I have 800TT with over 400 ME. I also speak Spanish (a little rusty). Do you think that I am competitive for the FO positions or do they mostly hire Panamanians for those positions? Thanks

cruiseclimb
05-04-2010, 07:56 PM
With 800tt, you aren't even competitive with a regional in the US.. but you might want to look at some of the carriers in Africa. They are taking some low time FOs.

captjns
05-04-2010, 10:02 PM
There are carriers around the globe that have an ab-initio training program which is self funded by the cadet. An expat will need to obtain a right to work in the country specific, as well as satisfy local DGCA requirements as far as written exams would be required.

Worth a try if you have the funds and are truly driven to fly.

Natca
05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
With 800tt, you aren't even competitive with a regional in the US.. but you might want to look at some of the carriers in Africa. They are taking some low time FOs.

I have yet to see even that, unless you know of a company.

adunn6
05-09-2010, 09:08 PM
It was worth a try. I figured Central/South American countries might have lower mins. Guess not:( Anyone know of some good companies other than airlines in that region?

jet320
05-10-2010, 11:59 PM
It was worth a try. I figured Central/South American countries might have lower mins. Guess not:( Anyone know of some good companies other than airlines in that region?

I know COPA hires low time pilots! If you are willing to pay for your type, they will give you the job. There is a large group of Spanish FO's who are doing this right now. So COPA is giving priority to them. Call the head of the HR department, Carolina I think is her name.

LACSA minimums are 1200 TT to jump on the right on the A320.

poorpilot
05-29-2010, 07:19 AM
To all of those interested in Copa:

They are hiring, except they themselves don't know when.

They do have minimums, yet I know of atleast 3 F/Os that were hired with 190TT (not a typo, literally one-hundred and ninety) and told that they had to build up the rest and get the Comm/multi/inst by the end of training.

They have hired F/Os with PE and CAPs without. Said they needed guys that where competitive and literally a week later hire guys with 700TT along with some guys that had well over 2500TT.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY YOUR TYPE

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR OWN TRAINING

They are taking away the housing allowance after 2 years for all new hires.

Also limiting buddy passes and limiting family tickets and restricting jumpseat use.

Basically you need to have alot of luck or just pester them until you give them no choice to hire you.

The Dominican
05-29-2010, 08:30 AM
What about the salary?

OtisA300f
06-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Got an email back from Mrs. Henriquez saying that I should expect a call in July to begin the recruitment process for a FO slot. Any idea what to expect? Interview gouge? anything helpful would be nice...! Thanks

alecdod33
07-25-2010, 02:55 PM
what were your hours to get a call from henriquez? Anybody know the FO pay scale?

IlliniPilot99
09-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Hey Poor pilot, tried PM'ing you but your inbox is full.

I have ATP mins and am interested...how easy/hard is it to get hired as a foreign pilot?

I already emails with my resume and got the standard we've accepted it response, anyother email's work at all?

cubanfiredawg
11-08-2010, 03:53 AM
Hello all!

Sorry to all of you who have pm'ed and emailed me and I have not gotten back to you. I've been stuck in Africa. I re-interview (long story) for Copa today 11/08/2010 and will answer any questions you guys may have. I will all of you luck. Please email me @ [email protected] (my pm box fills too quickly)

Ciao Ciao

rgoeasy
11-11-2010, 03:33 PM

Not true. Lot's of foreign new hire F/O's here.

rgoeasy
11-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Pay is maybe $500 a month more than a regional in the US. And NO yearly COLA raise.

LIOG41
11-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Any updates on COPA hiring? I applied a couple weeks ago.

PurpleCRJ
11-25-2010, 02:25 AM
check this link for posted mins for both DEC's and FO's:

Requirements for applying for the Captain position (http://www.copaair.com/Sites/CC/en/Acerca-de-Copa-Airlines/Pages/Recursos-Humanos-Capitan.aspx)

rgoeasy
11-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Get your resumes in. Just announced last week, 10 more 737-800 coming.

gilz16
11-25-2010, 01:14 PM
(suspiro) If I only had 1000tt...

ashcroft
11-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Does anybody know where to find payscales for COPA?

LIOG41
12-17-2010, 06:22 AM
Has anyone heard from COPA recently for an interview? I applied over a month ago with a couple internal referrals.

MDT06
02-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Any updates??????????

Piedmonster
02-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Any updates??????????

You at PDT or a former P-Monster?

MDT06
02-14-2011, 05:53 AM
You at PDT or a former P-Monster?

No, I fly is south america..... Lived in the states for many years, and waiting to go back.

MDT

BARRELL RIDER
03-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Copa emailed me with interview dates a couple of weeks ago for captain positions. They needed me to send all that stuff again and I was away for an extended trip so just submitted it today. I don't know if I missed the boat but anyone else interviewing this month please pm me. I surf, like central America, and 737/190s so I think it would be a great job. Does anyone know what takes place during a 3 day interview?

Sonny Crockett
04-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Any updates?

captjns
04-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Any updates?

Pay and benefits or I should say lack thereof is a disgrace. I know cabin crew in Europe who earn more than what COPA wants to pay captains.

I think applicants are responsible for all expenses connected with getting a Panamanian airman's certificate too.

I wish I saved the email from their head hunter.

taymor1234
04-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Any information about how much FO gets paid?

sandrich
04-30-2011, 06:35 AM
Requirements for appying for the First officer Position (http://www.copaair.com/sites/cc/en/acerca-de-copa-airlines/pages/Recursos-Humanos-Primer-Oficial.aspx)
Panamanian pilots-250 TT
American Pilots-1000 TT
Whats wrong with that picture???

captjns
04-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Any information about how much FO gets paid?

A lot less than Captains.

taymor1234
04-30-2011, 09:24 AM
That was a good one, hahahh

Skyone
05-04-2011, 08:29 AM
New payrates will soon come out for DECs at Copa. Standby. The pilot shortage is raising its head around the world. Might be saved by some airlines going T.U. because of fuel prices. Standby. Heard from a horse's mouth that the rates are going up at Copa ......but still below par.

The Dominican
05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Heard from a horse's mouth that the rates are going up at Copa ......but still below par.

They can double them and still be bellow par:(

Sonny Crockett
05-09-2011, 04:59 AM
New payrates will soon come out for DECs at Copa. Standby. The pilot shortage is raising its head around the world. Might be saved by some airlines going T.U. because of fuel prices. Standby. Heard from a horse's mouth that the rates are going up at Copa ......but still below par.

So what are the new payrates......?

Lots of conflicting info about what a DEC will earn in PTY.

airwife
05-23-2011, 11:32 AM
If they have a shortage on pilots, why do they take so long in reply if you got an interview or not?

captjns
05-23-2011, 11:52 AM
If they have a shortage on pilots, why do they take so long in reply if you got an interview or not?

Copa is hoping to get those who have taken early retirement and are willing to work for bananas.

Copa will soon realize that, game won't work and will have to step up to the plate and provide a respectable compensation and benefits package if they are truly serious about their expansion program.

Kapitanleutnant
05-25-2011, 12:42 PM
I had heard from a colleague the DEC pay was going to be 90K US/year.

Anyone confirm this?

K

Sonny Crockett
05-25-2011, 01:43 PM
I had heard from a colleague the DEC pay was going to be 90K US/year.

Anyone confirm this?

K

Confirmed the pay for DEC is 94K US/year.

captjns
05-25-2011, 03:03 PM

Is that Gross? Do they provide any benefits? or is that it.

How about the licensing fees?

One can still do alot better in Asia.

Burrito Pilot
05-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi Guys.

To be clear, I am NOT looking to go to COPA. But, I was hoping to start talks with COPA on ZED agreeements or reciprocal jumpseat agreements. Does anyone have a good contact e-mail address? I have sent snail mail and general contact e-mails, which were both met with silence.

Thanks,

BP

CRJPlt
06-14-2011, 10:01 AM
I've looked all over here and pprune and can't find the rates for FO's at Copa. I have seen a rate and it seems the same as what I have seen for DEC. So can somebody please tell me the approx. rate for FO's and DEC. Thanks.

airline NooB
06-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi Guys.

To be clear, I am NOT looking to go to COPA. But, I was hoping to start talks with COPA on ZED agreeements or reciprocal jumpseat agreements. Does anyone have a good contact e-mail address? I have sent snail mail and general contact e-mails, which were both met with silence.

Thanks,

BP

Here is an email address to an HR rep. [email protected]

Took em 9 mmonths to reply to my email asking simply if spanish was a prerequisit for employment.

It isnt.

rgoeasy
06-17-2011, 08:10 AM
You will make a lot less than DEC I can promise you that. It is about what you would make in your secound or third year at a regional un the US...and you do not get yearly COLA raises.

Intel19
06-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Helloo i work for copa . Line captain , i was chekiing you guys that talk about a pay raise in december , whe sopousse to begin contract negotation en octuber this year ,
you know something about the 90k a years
thanks

2bennySODC6
07-01-2011, 04:50 PM
The damn SPIDERS:eek: get pretty big down in that part of the world. Otherwise it sounds like a fun gig.

poorpilot
07-13-2011, 08:04 AM
First off Copa has changed alot since new management. QOL is a big issue now, and ofcourse pay is thin. Main issues expats have with the company are:

1-Pay
2-Pay
3-Pay
4-Breach of contracts
5-Days off requests
6-Jumpseats
7-Family tickets
8-Removal of Housing Allowance
9-Routes and duty times
10-Fuel issues
11-"Culture of Fear" issues
12-Lack of interest towards employee's needs and wants
13-License fees out-of-pocket
14-Scheduling

Basically the list goes on and on....

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a raise much less benefits.

The Dominican
07-14-2011, 04:34 AM
Regrettably management never understands the discussion of issues, the only thing that becomes a palpable reality to them is when people just start presenting resignations and right now there are a lot of opportunities developing in the international market, I just don't get why would people work for those kind of salaries. Is not criticism mind you, I just don't get what is the attraction, they pay you peanuts and in top of that they have a culture of fear? maybe because is somewhat close to home? I just don't know. I mean LAN salary is pathetically low and you still make more money there than in COPA!

stbloc
08-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Does anyone have what the realistic FO pay is?

2bennySODC6
12-30-2011, 01:39 AM
Does anyone have what the realistic FO pay is?

I think it is industry standard. I know that the damn arachnids grow larger every @#$%ing month! :eek::eek:

Good luck and bring some insect repellant, for the women and the damn spiders!
Adios:)

The Dominican
12-30-2011, 04:38 AM
I think it is industry standard.

What industry? Cotton picking? COPA's terms are pathetic